You are here

SS insurance

duct_tape's picture

Sooooo, I took my spoiled, lazy ss20 off of our insurance. It was only costing $666 a month just for him. (appropriate number) So, anyhoo. I secured a policy just for him, cuz I care so much. }:) Even made the first payment. Set it up on auto debit through my account. He has been told for over a week that I need his checking account info so that he can pay for it. He has avoided this at all cost. Do you think I should just let it lapse. If I take it off of autodebit, it will be due in full instead of monthly. Do I dare? He has an SR22, so he will immediatley have no driving privelidges if I do? I'm actually nervous about this one. I think he knows what's at stake and thinks I won't dare. Any very passive-aggressive suggestions would be appreciated.

PeanutandSons's picture

Give him the deadline, and layout exactly what the consquences will be if he doesn't step up..... In writing. Let your Dh know what the deadline is as well, so he can't go crying back to daddy and have daddy take his side.

When that deadline comes, cut the autopayment off.

duct_tape's picture

If I know my husband, he will get in the middle, get very stressed out and try to find some compromise. I don't want to compromise. I want to WIN! Am I a bad person?

duct_tape's picture

Yes, they will unless I remove my account from the file. I have a local insurance company who does all my policies, (home, bus, rentals, cars etc.) She's my girl! Sure he would have to sign for it, but not in this small town. This kid has more tickets than I can count, three times a suspended license, six or seven accidents and a DWI!!! If i didn't get this policy for him solo, he would have been on ours forever.

mella's picture

I say let him know you are removing your checking account from the policy on date X, and if he does not have his in place at that time he will lose his insurance and have to deal with the consequences. You have done MORE than enough - he's an adult for pete's sake!

duct_tape's picture

An adult who spent all last summer (May 5-Sept 10) sitting in his disgusting room playing games, watching movies, with tons of friends over, slept all day, cooked fried chicken for breakfast at 2pm every damn day and said, "But, dad, it's summer. I need a break. I don't want to mow the lawn right now." Forward one hour, my hubby is mowing the lawn.

duct_tape's picture

I wouldn't either. I didn't know how much we were paying for HIS part. I happened to have a talk with our insurance girl a while back and was freakin' floored! Contronted the husband who also claimed he didn't know.

herewegoagain's picture

Why are you paying for anyone's insurance that is 22? I had my own car, apartment, health and car insurance, job, etc...at 20...these kids are ridiculous...

PeanutandSons's picture

Yep. Was under my moms car insurance policy from 16 to 17. At 17 bought my first car and got my own policy and paid for it and my car repairs myself.

duct_tape's picture

That's the thing. When you pay for your own, you take care not to screw it up. This kids on his third car (Eclipse, Acura, Mustang) Paid for none of them, crashed all of them more than once even. He's not worried. Why should he be? No skin off his back. What an insurance premium? Idk. "Uh, Dad, what's a premium? Can I have some gas money?"

PeanutandSons's picture

Never in my life have I asked either parent for gas money. In fact when I was 14-16 I had to pay my mom gas money every week to drive me to and from work. I thought she was horrible at the time, but I am so greatful now that she taught me that lesson on being responsible.

duct_tape's picture

I wouldn't even let my over achieving daughter get a license until she had enough money for her first year of insurance! Then to have to deal with this shit? My daughter just finished college 3 months ago, grad as val, straight 4.20 gpa, has two full time jobs to pay for $55,000 in loans, pays her own car, ins, house, etc. She's only a couple yrs older than ss. SS has gone through two years of college and has a .02 average. He has racked up $35,000 in debt for absolutely nothing. Just to join a fraternity. My husband TOTALLY SEES THROUGH THIS KID. But feels like an utter failure for creating him. He accepts the blame. But now, feels guilty for damaging him! I can't win.

duct_tape's picture

Did it. Feels great. Had insurance girl call SS and tell him that his premium will now be due in full for the next six months. He set it up himself for payments. Battle won, war goes on.

hippiegirl's picture

You know what girls....we don't depend on our parents anymore and haven't for a long time because of one simple reason. They did NOT kiss our asses growing up like our DHs kiss skids asses. Why would they want to leave and be independent when they have it made at daddy's? My parents didn't make life cushy for me, so I WANTED to leave. It was probably similar for all of you, that why the coddling and the babying pisses us off so much. Just a theory. Smile