You are here

I can't be a rock

epiphany's picture

I live with my SO and her three kids. Her son (11) has autism and her youngest son Diablo is most likely going to be diagnosed with ADHD. They argue at every opportunity so we have to keep them separated.

My SO also has problems that I won't go into right now. We are not married, but have been together longer than most people take to tie the knot.

All these issues have developed (as in come to "a head") over the time we have been living together. So I couldn't have foreseen the magnitude of stress when I agreed to move in.

Basically, everything that causes stress in this house is nobody's fault. It can't be resolved, only dealt with and mitigated against. Gritted teeth comes to mind.

I have tried my best to absorb and ease the emotional stress of everyone who lives in this house. But it's just getting too much. To others, I am a very peaceful person, who apparently has nothing to complain about. But inside I am quite vulnerable and anxious about life. I'm not sure sometimes if I really want to be here.

Constantly hearing about and experiencing the brunt of other people's problems has put me in the position of being a rock or a therapist type figure. I am just not capable of being this. I can listen to people and give good advice, but I do have my own issues that will only allow so much room for others' problems.

Add to that arguing and shouting from the kids and mum, rubbish being left around the house and other "normal" stresses of family life, and I am thinking thoughts I really don't want to.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I can't be the stable, reassuring person people want me to be. I can't take so much dependence on me to "save the day" when the shit hits the fan. It is making me incredibly anxious to the point where I drink quite excessively in the evening as a form of self medication. Nobody notices or says anything. I also stay up until the early morning hours just to be at peace with myself.

The kids go to their dad's house every other weekend and I cannot stress enough how important that is. But he is certainly not playing an equal role in all this, such as the day-to-day raising of kids.

The energy and tension levels in the house are sometimes unbearable and I have to leave the house. This creates guilt because my SO is also feeling this stress, but because the kids are ultimately her responsibility, she has to stay. I do think, though, that she can make a better time with them because they are her flesh and blood.

I'm unsure if it will get better or worse, or how long I am supposed to stick it out being, frankly, deeply unhappy.

I often find myself asking: how much unhappiness are we as adults supposed to tolerate before we have a right to do something selfish and not feel guilty?

Sorry, this is all over the place.

epiphany's picture

Thanks. I have thought about seeing someone because it would be unfair to put more stress on my SO. There are so many things I just want to say to her about how I feel but however I say it it'll just manifest as more pressure, anxiety, guilt or maybe even a full blown argument.

I don't want to end up like a brick wall where SO and kids are talking at me but the person who was once listening is now unresponsive and cold. I'm sure we have all felt like that at times.

epiphany's picture

We are both stressed, so we are both aware of the pressure each are under. But it always boils down to "you gotta do what you gotta do". She (well, both of us) would love for me to not have to deal with any of this, for BD to step in more, because I can tell there's a lot of guilt on her part about the dependence on me. But the alternative (i.e. me stepping back) is beyond mere upheaval. I think she would have a breakdown and it will have been triggered by me. To put it into perspective, if I decided I wanted no responsibility for the kids, this is what would happen...

- SO would lose her job and her only source of income.
- I can't afford rent in our current place on my own, so we would have to move, likely to a smaller place (our place is already just about big enough for 3 kids) in a cheaper area which means...
- SO would have to get kids into new schools - this isn't always possible.
- Kids would be taken out of school yet again. For a child with Autism, this is traumatic.

This is basically what would happen, if I said I didn't want any responsibility for the kids. "Not my kids, not my responsibility" may be a nice reminder to us steps, but in the real world it can have severe consequences.

epiphany's picture

Please see my above reply. Is there a caring person on this earth who could just leave and still sleep at night?

epiphany's picture

"Does she often tell you how much she needs you around, that she can't do this without you? If she does, do you realize that is not your role and responsibility in this life?"

She has told me numerous times, yes. She depends on me to the point of keeping her job and a roof over her and her kids' heads (she pays half the rent, but couldn't afford a big enough place on her own, especially with no job).

I do realise her kids are not my responsibility. But there are many things in life that aren't our responsibility, yet we feel an obligation to do what we can to keep the people we help from suffering more than necessary. I am still trying to find the moral balance in all this.

epiphany's picture

Thanks, this is indeed very similar to our situation. But I am giving her what she needs right now, which is above and beyond my actual responsibility. There is no problem with me taking on an authoritative role (which I would rather not have to do, but sometimes I'm the only adult in the house). But while you offered this as a solution to your ex, to me it is just more of what I don't want. I don't need more power, I just need less dependence so I can offer my help more freely out of my own initiative.

I can guarantee my SO doesn't feel I don't care. I show I care every day by picking the kids up from school and offering them support in many different ways. She has told be she is grateful. But it's not really gratitude I want - it's less responsibility and dependence. Even if it was a gradual move towards less dependence, that would make things so much easier, but I can't see it happening for a long time.

Is_What_It_Is's picture

"I'm not sure sometimes if I really want to be here." - what exactly are you talking about? Are you talking "here" as in living with your SO? Or are you talking about "here" as in living life in general?

It sounds like you are staying because you feel it would be detrimental to SO if you left. She was probably okay before you arrived - and she will find a way to be okay if you leave too. Not everyone can deal with the demands of Autism and ADHD - especially if you did not birth them. Do not jeopardize your life and your health for the sake of staying in an unhealthy environment while trying to save everyone else.

If you are getting peoples problems from outside your relationship then you need to find a way to learn to let those go. You can be a good listener, give good advice - but don't take on others troubles and problems.

epiphany's picture

This is a very considerate reply, thank you. I am an introvert, no doubt about it. The kids know it as well. I appreciate their little signs of respect like knocking on the bedroom door before entering and just generally being polite (towards me at least - they still scream at each other). None of my anxieties are because of the kids personally.

Thing is, it could really work for me if SO could just get into a position where she did not have to depend on me where their father has failed.

One of the first things SO said to me was that her kids come first. I completely accepted that. I actually like the idea of not having her all to myself, if that makes sense. But when things go wrong, there is this immense pressure for me to pick up the pieces in ways their BD should be.

I guess I'm starting to realise that a lot of my anger is directed towards the, for the most part absent BD. One weekend every fortnight he has them and no help in between. How the hell does he sleep at night?

islandhell's picture

Like someone said to me, at the beginning it's all butterflies and roses but that comes to a quick halt. Of course you knew she had these kids and what their issues were before you moved in. But there is no way you could have known what life would actually be like until you did move in. No one wants to imagine hell on earth believe me. Sounds to me like your SO has absolutely no control over her kids and expects you to save the day. First, you can't. You can't change the BD. You can't change the BM and you can't change her children. I hate to say this but odds are very strong that this will only get worse.

Repeat after me....Not my kids, not my problem. Get out. Get out now. Life is too short and by God don't marry her!!!!

lastcallhall's picture

My god, I am in the same situation. Reading these replies is making me think long and hard about where I want to be a year from now. The only difference is that she hasn't moved in (yet). I do one day a week dinners with her kiddos and my anxiety is through the roof...

epiphany's picture

You just need to be clear on what help you are willing to offer from the outset.

Think long and hard about what you want your role to be in all this. How much time you want to give. How much money you want to give (because where there's kids, there's spendin' to be done). It means so much more when there is no dependence on you to offer ANY of it, but you offer it freely and purely out of good will, rather than through the pressure of guilt and necessity. The former breeds contentment. The latter breeds resentment.

For example, I find cooking for the kids satisfying and pleasurable. No problem with that. But I will not, repeat NOT, give up my weekends to babysit. When mum can't do it, dad or a babysitter (who gets paid for their time) can. You are not here for the parent's convenience.

If your anxiety is through the roof just from a meal one day a week, then I would take that as a big warning sign.

lastcallhall's picture

You're absolutely right. Here's the thing: She's in the middle of transition, and doesn't really have a place of her own. She "shares" the house via time splitting with her ex. She gets the first half of the week, he gets the back half, when she stays with me for the time being. Before you ask, no, there's no chance of them getting back together. She's on the hunt for an apartment (I say that loosely, however), a job (another loose search), and a means of sustaining life on her own. In the meantime, she's nesting in my house.

I actually just spoke to my therapist about it this morning. And the thing that kept coming up to the top is that something just feels off about the whole process. I don't believe there's a malicious or deceptive intent involved here, but something doesn't quite feel right. And it's the kids.

I don't mind cooking for them either; hell, they're children, and they need to be treated as such. The HUGE difference in our styles is that I have kept my kid to be polite, respectful and compassionate his entire life. This isn't me looking through father lenses either; I have received numerous compliments from friends and strangers alike about how well behaved my kid is. It's because while I give him the freedom to be a kid and to be creative and ask questions and all that, he also knows boundaries. These kids know no boundaries.

There are so many parents on here that say to distance yourself from stepkids, to disengage, etc. And I've done that to a degree. But I can only take so much of her 10 year old throwing his 120 lb body into my couch with such disregard before I say anything. And it's not like she doesn't tell them not to do it, it's just that they don't care because there are no serious repercussions to be had if they disobey.

Here's an example: Her 6 year old boy. This kid has an intense need to be the center of attention at all times. We were at the store and he's trying to get her attention. She doesn't immediately respond, so he screams her name louder, saying 'look at me!' She tells him that's not appropriate behavior. He screams, "look at me, please!' She tells him again this is why she didn't want to bring him into the store. So he starts crawling on her and hitting her to get her attention and she just laughs it off and says that she's going to eat his head or some childish thing. To them it's a game. Her twin girls are threatened with spankings for acting out the same night for yelling and stomping on my upstairs apartment building. They keep doing it so she spanks them. Thing is, 10 minutes later, the spanking becomes a game and theyre all rolling on the floor (loudly) doing it. In short, she's a good mom, but a terrible parent.

I've had complaints from the neighbors about the noise, she's told them that people live under me, but they just dont give a shit. Now, here's where you and I are alike: She's a genuinely good person. She goes out of her way to make sure that things are always right with me, takes care of what I need without me asking to the best of her ability, and we get along well. So like you, I'm stuck in a moral dilemma where Im trying to do the right thing, but after extrapolating out Monday night to full time over 14 years... it's not gonna work.

We do need to have a talk about this soon. Again, morality comes into play where while I know it's not my problem about the life she is living right now, she's also in a fragile state, so this needs to be handled tactfully. I'm just not sure how to do both...

epiphany's picture

Sorry, I didn't realise you had a child of your own. Does he live with you full time? He has a right to a peaceful house with his dad as well.

From how you are feeling, I would tell her that her moving in full time is going to be a bit too much for you to cope with right now. If she knows you're seeing a therapist, you can play that "card" as heavy handedly as you wish. Don't let her presume anything about the future in terms of this being a transition to her moving in.

Years ago when I lived alone, my friend was looking for a place in the city and eventually (after much deliberation) I invited him to move in with me. He did not once ask me or presume it. That's the right thing to do.

You don't have to invite this woman to move in with you. It shouldn't be presumed that's what's going to happen.

Also, it's harder if the place and the stuff in it is 100% yours. In my case, although I do live with SO and kids full time, we moved into the place together, from scratch, and she owns pretty much all the furniture there. So it wasn't like my house, things and space was suddenly taken over by 4 other people.

Another thing I will say is, if you do end up living together, keep your finances strictly separate. That at least means you have complete control over how much of your money (which is also time) is spent on her kids.

lastcallhall's picture

Yes, I have one son. Smile He lives with me every other weekend, so there's no cross interaction with the kids, but the GF is there, which may or may not be getting under his skin. He's kinda ambivalent about it all.

You raise some good points, and it sounds like you have a handle (even if a shaky one) on how you should proceed in your own scenario. I truly wish you the best.