You are here

Need a referral for boarding school or boot camp

Bsmom's picture

SD13 has been at a very nice Christian boarding school for 9 months. It is affordable. It is not going well and we have been advised to find a plan B. They agree she should not come home! We have looked online and so far everything seems to be $5000+ a month. We are a lower income family and these costs are out of the question. They say she needs a wake up call. Boot camp might be an option. We have no idea what to do. Please help! We are in Georgia.

frustrated-mom's picture

I've been looking into the same thing for my SD15, but have not had any luck finding any place that would work. I posted about it here:
http://www.steptalk.org/node/66607

Unless your SD has been arrested, there are not many bootcamp programs that will take girls except ones outside the US. Everything else are camp programs focused on therapy and boosting kids' self-esteem. These types of girls need wake-up calls, not to be singing Kumbayah around a camp fire.

There are therapeutic boarding schools, but most require year long commitments and are over 60k. There's no guarantees that they work. I'm afraid we'd end up tossing away the money for SD15 to do nothing all day and receive "therapy" that does nothing.

I'm at a loss as to what to do and there doesn't seem to be any options for these types of girls that need to understand how to follow rules and comply with authority figures. All the laws passed to "protect" kids from boot camps/wilderness programs have just pussified these programs and made them $500 a day group therapy sessions.

Dumby's picture

Check out Pinnacle Schools. Elk River Treatment Program in Elkmont, Alabama. Not sure what the cost is but they have a great program.

janeyc's picture

Just a thought and Im no expert, but how about a Military School for girls, I've just found some online.

frustrated-mom's picture

I researched this quite a bit last summer. The problem is all of the military high schools are prep schools. They don't except students with behavior problems, have admission tests and are incredibly easy to get kicked out of. Unless you have a skid who wants to be there, it's not going to work. They do one thing wrong and you've wasted your money.

I don't understand who sends their kids to these schools. But most of them have shutdown in the last 30 years.

Bsmom's picture

So I might be making progress... Is there some way we can talk, frustrated mom? I don't want everyone to know what state I'm in, but I'd like to share with you what I have found. I was told to google Methodist group homes and Masonic Group homes.