You are here

Skid moving home- so help me

grace8205's picture

I never thought I would ever do what I agreed to. But I did, all to be a supportive spouse to my husband.

When we had the talk, the whole thing was pretty pie in the sky, but I still knew it could materialize.

So far its going to be a disaster, and skid (soon to be 24) hasn’t even moved in. Its going to be a disaster because of DH.

Initial talks my husband asked if needed could skid come back for 9 months to get on his feet.  I said 6 months max and it has to be different this time around otherwise the answer is no. He will need to pay $250 bi-weekly for rent and I would consider giving it to him at the end of the term for 1st months rent and security deposit upon move out, less any monies borrowed or if he wrecks anything.  I also said skid will have to get rid of his 2 large dogs because hey are not coming here, they will destroy our whole house and belongings. DH agreed. DH also said he would not say anything to skid unless it is coming down to that. I said good because we should discuss it more before that if it looks like it is going ahead. He agreed.

Next thing I know DH tells skid he can move in here if he needs to on December 1st , and that he would pay $500 per month which he will get back. – Not discussing it with me further he just tells skid that. At least he stood strong on the dogs without me having to be the hammer on that one.

So it looks like skid will come back here, he has made no other plans, he still needs to rehome his dogs.

I had a conversation with DH about what would it look this time around, what would be different.

DH is sooo excited to have his little baby boy move back in and treat him like a little baby- I could just puke.

DH confirmed nothing will change, he will still be a spineless whimp and enable skid.  He also cried the blues because its so hard for him to be in the middle. The way he talked it was going to give skid a vacation from adulthood while he is here. He said if skid doesn’t clean his room or bathroom as per the rules, he will do it weekly to keep the peace. Screw that, man baby can do it himself, and if DH wants to keep the peace he has to do that twice daily, like I did last time skid lived at home, I want my basement to be clean more that one day a week. All I have to say is hell no!!! I could not even form words, I was going to lose my shit on him, which wouldn’t have been productive.

DH went out of town for the week to a conference for work. In the interim I have drafted a living at home contract and a letter to DH which he can read upon his return. The letter, this way I get an opportunity to say my piece without the interruptions, or him trying to guilt me, its uninterrupted.

My rules are fairly simple:

1. $250 bi-weekly rent, payable each and every payday
  2. Weekdays guests leave at 10pm
  3. Fridays and Saturdays guests leave at 11pm
  4. No guest sleepovers
  5. Respect other people’s property and privacy, do not take things that do not belong to you stay out of others bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, booze, etc.
  6. Upstairs bonus room is for the home owners only
  7. Laundry can be done Monday and Thursdays, must to full loads and not one item at a time.
  8. Adult skid will be responsible to purchase his own toiletries and any special groceries that he may want
  9. Kee his bedroom and the bathroom across the hall clean- the way it was given to him.
  10. Must be respectful and polite to other in the house.
  11. No drugs or paraphernalia, legal or illegal in the house or on the property
  12. No smoking or vaping in the house

The other thing I am telling DH, skid must get a line of credit and pay for the car he received 3 weeks ago before moving in, since DH told he would.

Since skid is paying heavily discounted rent it is an opportunity for him to pay that off as well as his other debts while he is here.

I will put DH on notice that I will call skid on shit, I will expect him to back me up and stand up for his wife. 

Not sure if I missed anything that others think I should include?

I would like to hear others experience on the matter and how they handled an adult skid coming home.

I need all the hep I can get. – So help me.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Not certain what you mean by LEGAL in #11. 

Anyhoo, "violation of numbers 11 and 12 result immediate eviction".

Indigo's picture

Real, tangible, profound, enforceable consequences for violations of house rules. 

Indigo's picture

In my world, SO & I would speak of basic household rules.    This was his house & his responsibility to parent SD. She was just out of jail & trying to get her life together.  SO presented the rules to SD-28:  no overnight visitors, no smoking in the house, no leaving clothes/dirty dishes/trash in common area, look for job weekly ... in exchange for no rent, no financial contribution to the home, plus an allowance, SD-28 was to wash the dishes, clean her bathroom, vacuum weekly & help mow the lawn. 

SO just could not enforce any consequences.  He would let things slide & slowly get angry.  Then, he would lose his temper, yell & nothing would change.  SO was desperately afraid that SD would be "living under a bridge" if he didn't let her live with him.  She abused SO verbally, ignored rules, stole/pawned stuff and couldn't manage to even be a decent roommate. It was horrible. (My BS & I kept separate household due to step-silliness & my choice not to expose my BS to it.) 

Currently, SD-33 is indigent in another state with a likely drug/alcohol issue.   GSkids have no relationship with her currently. All have been in state hospitals, homeless shelters, juvie & state residental facilities.  One messed up family & SO's inability to enforce consequences did not stop the downward spiral.

I would suggest a tier of consequences instead of an "all-or-nothing" attitude. 

1StepForward2's picture

All I can say is good luck. They are great rules and I hope he follows them and all goes as planned. If your DH is on board that will help. 

My DH came home one day to tell me SS 25 at the time was moving back in that day because he was depressed and quit his job. No discussion with me. No end date. No rules. No chores. No rent.

It was a year of hell. 

Marriage counseling helped us establish rules which I know SS thought that was my doing and hated me. She also encouraged DH to get SS back out of the house since he had gotten his job back and there was no excuse, again SS probably blames me for that too. DH cried over having to tell his adult son he had to move on.

I feel for you. It’s a tough situation.

Good for you for having a plan.

Keep us posted.

grace8205's picture

OMG, I can’t believe your DH  did that!  My issue is I am good with rules and enforceing them but my DH sucks at any of that. So he better be on board otherwise it is going to be diasterous. 

marblefawn's picture

Why not add that the three of you will revisit the living arrangements on a monthly basis in a sit-down conversation with all of you present? That way you can bring up where SS is failing and give him fair warning to shape up or move.

I also don't see an exit date in your list. This is a must if this is really only temporary. If you don't make it firm, at least indicate that this is a three-month or six-month arrangement that will be revisited at those points, but SS should be planning to move at those points unless all of you agree he may stay.

Which brings me to my last point. I'd add to your list, "If at any point, anyone wants to end the living arrangement, SS will have one month to find a place and relocate." Without this point, your husband will never want SS to go, and SS will end the arrangement whenever he wants, so that just leaves YOU stuck without an out if you've had enough. This puts SS on notice that he mustn't just please his daddy, but you too.

Make it clear that SS shouldn't get too comfortable with this living arrangement, and your husband shouldn't expect that just because you let SS move in, that means you can't ask him to go.

I think it's brilliant that you composed a contract. Be sure SS gets a copy. If nothing else, it shows SS that details have been discussed and you're not taking it lightly, so neither should he. And it reinforces the notion that this is temporary!!!

grace8205's picture

6 months is the exit date, and the contract states this and further adds May 30th 2019.

when we sit down with skid I will have him initial each paragraph and give him his own copy. 

Kes's picture

That's a reasonable list of rules and I hope that this works out.  Personally, I would not have any kids in their 20s living here - SD23 has tried a couple of times but I held firm because I know I would end up divorced or in the psychiatric ward.  

Too old for this's picture

The suggestion to renegotiate will drive you crazy. Just put a definite date in the contract.  You can, on your own decide to extend it if you want.  But do not leave it open.

(With any luck he will refuse to sign and doesn’t get to move in the first place).  

2Tired4Drama's picture

You can even get skid to sign them.  

However, reading between the lines in your post, it appears as though your DH will not enforce any of them.  Even after you had your initial discussion of when payments should be made, your DH went back to SS and told him it would only be once per month and he would be getting the rent money returned to him.  SS will merely see rent as a deposit into his own savings account so if he is short on cash don't expect full payment whatsoever.  And don't expect your DH to enforce it, since he will side with SS and argue the same thing.

The fundamental problem here is your DH.  Based on your comments, I don't think the agreement will be worth the paper it's written on.  You've already indicated DH has a habit of interrupting or "guilting" you so how will this document make things any different?  DH is going to cave when it comes to SS - period.

Do you think that DH will actually back you up on any of this?  I think you will be in for a very wild ride beginning with the proposal of this agreement, and lasting till whenever SS leaves (which probably won't be in six months).  What is your plan of action when/if the breaching of agreements transpires and your DH sides with SS?

IMO, the easiest thing is for your DH to sit SS down, tell him he will give him x amount of money per month for six months and make this young man go out and find his own lodgings.  He can find an apartment to share, room to rent, etc.   It is worth the money to keep your marriage intact.  

Not to mention keeping SS is the right thing to do if your DH ever wants him to find his way in life and be self-supporting.  Figuring this out on his own is a life-lesson that SS needs to learn.

Let him learn it!

grace8205's picture

Yes  2Tired4Drama, I do worry about DH being spineless when/or if skid starts breaking the rules. 

DH and I need to have more of a talk because I want to know how he is going to handles things, because if he is not, I am not letting this happen. 

still learning's picture

If you're already agreeing to give him $500 a month then I would bypass all of this crazy and set him up as a boarder/renter somewhere else.  SS could even be close by but in his own space where he actually has to adult for himself.  3k over 6 months is probably what you'd end up paying for therapy and med copays. Think of this as a down payment on your sanity!  

grace8205's picture

We are not paying him $500 a month, it just works out to not charging him rent so he can save up for his 1st months rent and secuirty deposit upon the end of 6 months. I do understand what you are saying. 

We have been throwing money at this kid fairly hard the last year and it just makes him come back for more. 

DH wants to help get him out of debt by him living with us before he goes back into the world. Which I get. 

At least our Therapy is fulled covered. 

still learning's picture

Either way you and DH are subsidizing/supporting him. 

"DH wants to help get him out of debt by him living with us before he goes back into the world."

^This is the issue, protecting ss from "the world".  Letting him have a break from adulting and having daddy clean up his messes and pay for things will do skid no good. Helping and giving a hand up is one thing, moving him in and coddling is setting him back rather than moving him forward.  I get it, I want a break from life. I want someone to deal with everything so I don't have to. 

From personal experience I know that moving a grown capable man in and letting him freeload will backfire.  

Indigo's picture

If SD-now-33 ever asks to move back in .... I offered to pay for a month rent at an extended stay hotel or 2 months rent at a cheap mobile home/apt situation.  SO may choose to match my offer and extend her subsidized living experience or not. 

Bottom line:  she ever moves in ?  He will feel the breeze of the door slamming as I'm out of his life.  

still learning's picture

After the last fiasco of helping poor helpless now ss33 and DH moving him in, I made DH almost the exact same offer.  I'll contribute to ss's wellbeing by helping put him up somewhere but he will not be crashing at our home anymore. DH's fear is that ss will be homeless. Well DH, your son smokes pot and who knows what else almost 24/7, doesn't like to work, has a real entitlement problem and expects everyone else to fix his problems (because they have!). I don't want to see ss sleeping on the streets, which has never happened. He's always found someone to pity him.   

Indigo's picture

We have a burgeoning homeless population of young adults who have failed to launch, IMO.  Legalized pot is a massive business & attracts many rather directionless folk ...

Harry's picture

if you don’t get rent on time. If he doesn’t clean up, if he does drugs or have a stay over ?  You are saying what he can not do, but if he does it DH isn’t going to do anything.  If he doesn’t clean up then you will pay a cleaning person and he will pay for it.

sammigirl's picture

Sorry you agreed.  I just said NO to my DH and YSS54.  We also helped, YES since he was 16.  I cannot even tell you how much $$$$ we went thru, not to mention years of hell.  You have to learn to say no.  I suggest you begin now.  Hugs.  

Rags's picture

Practice this  line and use it constantly once this disaster kicks off. 

" (Fill in the blank) is not going to happen again and if it does the consequences will be miserable for both of you.  You deal with this and you deal with this NOW DH and if you don't I will and neither of you will like it."

Lather, rinse, repeat.  And you must follow up with consequences that deliver an existence of abject misery for both of them if they do not fly the straight and narrow.

Better yet.... change your mind and inform DH that SS-24 will not be moving into your marrital home.

sammigirl's picture

grace8205.....PLEASE take Rags advice.  This is the only action that worked for me.  I took control, because my DH would not.  Force your boundaries.  It is unpleasant, but not near the misery of living with couch potatoes.

I  will be honest, my DH will always be a bit mad down deep.  I DO NOT CARE.  He knows I will always be here for him, but there now are boundaries.  I will never give in to my grown STEPKIDS, when they step over those boundaries.  

I am not unreasonable, I will not be miserable.

It is difficult, just take care.  ((((Hugs)))))

Oldfool's picture

I wouldn't let the fool move into my home point blank.... my partner knows that if we break up, the root cause will be because I HATE HIS KIDS IN THE UK due to their disrespect...if they cannot respect you, why do they want to benefit from the fruits of your labour?????

shamds's picture

But make sure that its noted what the repercussions are if he does not obey, that he will be evicted and you or hubby should not have to clean up after him. Even though hubby wants to keep the peace, he certainly isn’t teaching his son responsibility by saying he will clean up after him. 

If bathroom is dirty, you tell ss or you message hubby at work and send him a pic of the mess or issue and tell him to address with his son immediately

my 20 yr old ss is a total lazy bum and makes a  mess and expects me to clean for him because he didn’t know when trash is full of all his crap, that he needed to empty it but instead he dumps it on the floor when we have a 31 month and 16 month old daughter and son. 

Its normal for him to dump his takeaway trash on the floor and skewer sticks hanging out of bags etc.. i take a pic, send to hubby with “address this immediately because if one of our kids stab themselves with it, would you like me to return the favour and stab your kid”, that tells and shows hubby his son is being an inconsiderate prick and keeping the peace by cleaning up his mess is not reasonable or fair on him when he’s at work all day.

i knew in the beginning complaining about ss was useless so i gave hubby an ultimatum in future what housework duties were expected to be done by hubby since his lazy ass son is a slob. Didn’t take long one shitty day at work, hubby gets home at 10pm and sees trash overflowing, kitty litter not cleaned whilst i had been busy all day with a then breastfeeding newborn and 1.5 yr old toddler. Hubby told off his son to wake up and help out, don’t turn a blind eye because i should not have to come home to this mess when he’s been all day in his room on his computer playing games or sleeping. Ss response was “mmmmmm”..

shortly after hubby made him vacuum the whole house, ss wasn’t happy when hubby told him the night before, hubby messaged me the next day whilst at work, i told him he spent almost an hour vacuuming and ss messaged hubby to say he had finished vacuuming and tomorrow not interrupt him or expect he do any housework as he would be sleeping and playing computer games. At that point i wished my 2 kids were old enough to put this ss in his place, but his dad said “ok”, what daddy should have said is “no, you need to help doing this and that tomorrow, once that is done then you can have your me time”, what hubby taught him by saying “ok” is that he can bribe ss in a way.

Hubby came home house was spotless and said to himself “you know what, he should do this more often and help out” because it teaches him how hard it is to expect me and hubby handle all this on our own, it aint easy. Its a long process and i feel this adult ss needs a good kick up his arse

Bethany's picture

I wish you all the best. I have lived a life of hell with my SD mooching off of us forever. It started WAY back and we have spent so much money and time. Dh just cannot bring himself to treat her like an adult in her late 30's. She is now out of the house in rehab---She is very manipulative and able to gaslight anyone. I am a very perceptive psych nurse who sees right through her. She knows that and that is one reason she does not want me around. I call her out on her behavior. Her mom and dad coddle her. I just don't see this ending well. I hope you are able to really stick by the rules. Seriously, if you don't, and it's very difficult, you may never get him to leave. I wish you the best. 

bertieb's picture

Are you preparing his meals for him? My SS moved back for a year and a half at 23 and it was like he was still a teen. DH and I bought food and cooked his dinner every night. That was one of my biggest annoyances. Even if DH and I had a date he would leave him money to go out!!  There were no rules because he had depression! I had to put my foot down for DH to even make him get medication. He finally moved out and got a job ( left college with one semester to graduate and hasn’t gone back). DH will never have any rules because he’s afraid SS may harm himself if he does. I never know if he will be back or not. He does come to our house to do laundry because it is free. I like him but I don’t want him to move back and us take care of him again.

lorlors's picture

Don’t let him move back in!! You can have all the well thought out rules you like, it will still dement you having him there in your space.

I’ve made DH agree that once they are out that is it. No moving back in for any reason. The thought of getting rid of them and then boomeranging back into our home is just awful.

Save your sanity.