You are here

Do you inform your adult kids when you go away on vacation?

grace8205's picture

The other day my husband received a text from skid23 saying that he wants to leave one of his guitars at DH’s office so daddy could take it to the music shop for some work to be done. I said to DH, “ did he forget that we are away in Mexico?” My DH informed me that he never told his son that we were going away on vacation.

Then DH texts back and tells him that he is out of the office until next week and can do it then if he wants to wait or his manager will do it for him since he is a musician too. Made it sound like he was out if the office on a business trip.

I thought it was strange but DH just dismissed it like it’s no big deal. Skid23 is the emergency contact for DH’s dog who is at a new dog sitter while we are away. What if there was an emergency?

I let my son who is out of Province going to school now the dates we are away just in case something should happen or he was trying to get a hold of me and had difficulty.

I guess skid23 will learn where we are via Facebook.

grace8205's picture

He is enmeshed with skid, so I find it very odd.
I could just see the dog sitter calling skid and him not answering or checking the message.

SMto2's picture

NO, my DH and I never specifically tell the adult SKs (who live 2 hours away)that we are going on vacation. We have our cell phones with us (and always have a data plan if we travel internationally), and also are reachable via FB Messenger in the event of an emergency. We might mention an upcoming trip in passing or if it comes up in conversation, but there's no need to "notify" them. Of course, both DH's mom and my mom DO know when we're going to be away, especially whichever of them is taking care of our DS10 and DS16 while we're gone. We also give that person the name, address and phone number of the hotel where we're staying.

Also, I would assume you and your DH are the FIRST emergency contacts for the dog?? Wouldn't the kennel call you first, and then if necessary, you could then call the SK if something was needed in relation to the dog?

grace8205's picture

Skid was made the emergency contact since cell and data service would be very in and out in the area we are in.

notsobad's picture

Yes, we tell all the kids where and when we’re going away.
Then I usually send a text from the airport saying see you in two weeks.

still learning's picture

DH doesn't tell skids anything because he's afraid they'll want to come along. He loves his sons but doesn't particularly enjoy their constant presence, especially ss32.

moving_on_again's picture

No way. We tell my kids who still live with us but I am not giving SS a reason to come over and "borrow" stuff from us. Same with MSD, I don't trust either of them.

I tell my mom and my kids who are 12 and 19.

Tiger7's picture

I tell my kids cause they're all adults (in their 20s). We've always been that way - god forbid anything should happen to the person traveling....where would you start looking if you have no idea where they went? That's how I got my kids to always let me know where they were when they were teens - if I need to find them, where do I tell the police to start looking? They always kept in touch! I prefer the skids not know but SO tells them anyway (they're 16 & 18). SD16 tells BM everything! We went on a road trip to another state one summer & stayed with friends. I guess BM thought we went on some expensive vacation cause when we got back, she suddenly demanded that SO pay her $200 every week (over & above the child support). We laughed and laughed.................

Dovina's picture

Oh yes we do. Adult skids ensure while we are on vacation they are in daily contact with their dad. I am not sure if its rotten luck, coincidence, or purposeful but they always have a major catastrophe happen while away and need daddy to fix it. Its predictable each and every time.

Thumper's picture

WE love Mexico....awwww totally wishing I was going. This is a GREAT time of year to go.

My dad always said, IF you want to be warm in the winter you have to go to MEXICO. He loved it there too.

YES I inform my adult bio's and also my siblings. My parents were told to...RIP mom and dad
Sad

Maybe it is out of habit.

Ispofacto's picture

I tell my kids when we are going to be away, but we don't tell Killjoy because that would be in invitation for BM to rob/vandalize our house. When Killjoy launches, I will make sure the house is locked up tight and still not inform her, because the would be an invitation to have both BM and Killjoy rob our house. We are close to our neighbors, so they keep lookout for us as well.

Acratopotes's picture

humm, no we don't tell them we are going on vacation..... they are both done with school, Aergia moved away and Deigma is working in town.

When Aergia was still with SO last year, he would simply tell her, see you later and leave... I have Deigma with me, I simply say, keep my house clean and feed the dogs, I will be back in a week's time...

but I never explain where and what....

notasm3's picture

I no longer travel out of the country. Did that for decades.

My only phone is a cell phone so I can be reached anyplace in the US.

Livingoutloud's picture

We tell DD and YSD. Both adults. As well as other people like my parents etc

we don’t tell OSD because she and BM are dangerous. Last time OSD knew we were on vacation she demanded 1k for paying lawyers fee (was arrested again). Her rationale was “I am a single mother -she has a baby but no paternity was ever established, it was one night stand with a stranger, so apparently she has no one to help her but you (dad) have someone in your life to do things with like travel so do XYZ for me”. No she doesn’t need to know where we at and what we are doing.