You are here

SD in baby announcement

Seeker6417's picture

So, my wife is pregnant. This will be her 2nd child (SD is the first, obviously) and my first (and most likely only), biological child. We are waiting until the first trimester is over before we announce it or start telling people. Since we're in week 11, we recently began discussing how we would make our social media announcement. My wife says something along the lines of "...I think we should do something with you, me, and SD..."

My stomach went up into my throat.

I'm sorry, I know SD will technically be the kid's sibling but I feel like this is invasive. This isn't her announcement, and frankly, I don't want her in it. I don't understand why she has to be injected into everything. My wife basically forced me to say vows to SD at our wedding, which I regret to this day. And when I say forced, she suggested it in a way that would've made me feel like an AH if I refused. What am I supposed to say to a woman I'm about to marry? No, sorry, I'm not including your kid.

Thing is, she is my wife's child, and my wife is also expanding her family, which includes SD, so I almost feel like it's impossible for me to expect her to leave SD out. But at the same time, SD isn't my family (as far as I'm concerned, even though my wife considers her to be), so to me, it's like including the neighbor.

I don't know what to do or if there's even a solution to this. I kind of just need to vent.

justmakingthebest's picture

I think it would be almost impossible to not include her... especially if she lives with you guys most of the time... 

I am sorry, I can imagine that you would want this so be special for just you, your wife and new baby. Maybe suggest something with an ultra sound pic vs. a family type announcement?

beebeel's picture

My skids lived with us every other week and they were NOT in the picture when I announced my pregnancy. My dog was lol. Skids do not have to be included in everything ever.

dysfunctionally_blended's picture

This is a question that leads to a lot of others that will come up...

If you want to excuse your SD now how will you react when the child is born? SD will want to be involved. They are siblings. 

Believe me I understand your feelings. But now is the time to work through them. Or you are going to have a lifetime of resentment and zero enjoyment of your child. 

Acceptance is first. You need to accept SD is the sibling. Accept that she will have a full time position in the child's life. And accept that as much as you want a nuclear family that isn't the case and never will be. 

Then talk to your wife about how that looks. Maybe you need time without SD there to bond with the baby. Maybe it is a weekend a month. Or even two for the first year. Whatever it is you need to be clear. But remember she also has her own needs. And it cannot be one sided. 

beebeel's picture

I think you need to set sound boundaries with your wife and now is the time to do it. If you wait until your child is born, you're going to deal with your wife wanting the kid in the delivery room, or DW buying presents for her older kid every time your kid has a milestone. 

There are ways of making her older child feel included without putting her up on a pedestal as the No. 1 child. The whole vow thing has me worried she is going to go overboard trying to make sure princess knows mommy loves her best. 

I would look at some example announcements online, find some you like and show them to her. She will probably insist on having her older child in the announcement again and this is when you make YOUR feelings matter. This is your child, not SD's. Your desires should matter more than hers in all things related to YOUR child. If DW becomes demanding and dismissive of what you want, you will have a long, hard road with her for the next 18-20 years.

dysfunctionally_blended's picture

Yes! That was where I was going. I get the question is the announcement. But it is just the beginning. It is a leading question because this is a simple task. 

Being clear upfront. Your needs, your wants. All of it needs to be clear and talked about. Or the announcement will be the least of your worries. 

To answer the question, its simple. State how you want it to look. Allow wife to state how she wants it to look. And compromise. 

Maybe it means two different announcements. One to her family including SD. And one to everyone else without SD. Or maybe SD is involved but not a starring role. Maybe it is a pic of the two of you but the announcement includes SD's name aa big sis. 

stepmominhiding's picture

Many people include their kids in the announcement saying kid is excited about being a big sister!  If she included your child in the announcement would that make you happier?  Im literally just asking because if i had a pregnancy announcement, I'd definitely include my kids,  but I'd know If i excluded my sd dh would have a fit

beebeel's picture

I don't think it matters if "many people" do it this way or that. I've seen older siblings included (always when the parents are the same for all the kids); I've seen pets included; I've seen just the parents and I've seen no people pictured but just an image of some baby booties. I've seen all sorts of pregnancy announcements. 

It doesn't matter how everyone else does there's, as they didn't contribute any DNA to this pregnancy.

momjeans's picture

I agree with Mrs Fireball.

SD will get her time to shine as a sibling. She does not to be included in the “Hey, we’re expecting!” announcement. That’s just weird, to be honest. 

saruhhh_04's picture

I understand where you are coming from. But I also agree with everyone saying to speak to your wife about this ASAP.

I have already spoken to my SO about how I feel about special events...yes, if we get married, I will want SS involved one way or another. However, I will not be making vows to his son. SS is already involved in a lot of aspects of our lives, I would want our wedding (and our baby announcement, for that matter) to be focused on us.

It is not selfish, you are allowed to want something that is as special as this, to be about you and your wife. But you definitely need to speak with her and let her know where you stand. Things will not improve unless this is addressed, and I suggest you talk about this soon.

twoviewpoints's picture

Compromise. 

Go with a you and wife announcing the expected arrival, follow up after birth with a you, wife and big sister have added our new arrival to our family.

You made a mistake in not speaking up about how you felt bout the wedding/marriage vows. Better to be thought the a**hole during a private discussion with the woman you are about to marry than to prove yourself an a**hole after the 'I do'. 

Your wife loves her daughter with all her heart, same as you will love your soon to arrive baby. No, you're not expected to 'love' your stepchild the same way you will/do feel about your own birth child. Marriage is between a couple. Getting with child is also between a couple. Adding a live baby to the family is a family addition. 

Watch out, next hurdle will be delivery. While some families do do 'family birth' setting, make sure your wife understands if you intend the birth to be a 'couple' event, with big sister there to join in later ( as in spending labor and delivery at a place such as grandma's and coming up to perhaps peek at baby after a bit of time for parent/couple new baby time and some recuperation). 

Seeker6417's picture

TBH, I'm just about 100% positive that she will not have SD in the delivery room, especially because it will be a planned c-section. So, it will be just us at that moment.

I've been trying to pick my battles, honestly. But what worries me is that by "picking my battles," I'm also letting a lot of things slide, and those things are setting a precedent. The only alternative is to say something every single time something arises that makes me uncomfortable, and that seems a bit much. Were the situation reversed, it would annoy me if my wife complained about every little thing.

Still, it feels like I'm the only person sacrificing anything. As much as I don't like the step dynamic, I could deal with it if I wasn't expected to care.

How is it not common sense for a bio-parent to understand that a stepparent doesn't feel the same way as they do about their kid?

icanteven's picture

Your last sentence, I ask this a lot. I am a bio-parent and a stepparent. I know my husband does not love my kids. Why would he? They are not his. He did not choose them. They did not choose him. They are strangers who are expected to live together. Did you love your flat mate at university? Same idea except this time there some of the roommates are immature. I understand this easily. Why does my husband and so many others expect their new partner to love their kids no matter what?

Seeker6417's picture

I think it's because they secretly hope you will, and it causes some sort of long-standing denial. I may be overanalyzing, but to me, it's almost egotistical to think that way, as if their child is so amazingly wonderful - how could you not feel the same about them. They just don't/can't see it objectively.

icanteven's picture

I think that is what they think. I always wonder if my husband will wake up one day and see that all parents think our kids are the most adorable, smartest, funniest, best kids, and that the reason he thinks that of his son is not because he actually is the best in those ways but because he is related to him. 

He does things like complain about my kids leaving their school books on the table (I agree they should put them away. I tell them to.) And then his son will take up the entire living room with some project, like right now, he made a tower of boxes blocking the TV and we are not to move it. This is ok according to my husband because his son just wants to be creative, but my kids maliciously trash the house to get him. 

He has even said to me, "just look at him [pointing to his son]. He's the most adorable kid I have ever seen. How can you not love him?" Because I think he looks strange, and that he is annoying, and messy, and gross. Same reasons you do not love my kids. He will not understand that he is biased. He actually says he is totally objective. I wonder if he will ever realize.

icanteven's picture

I understand your concerns. I would feel the same way in your situation. Here's what I'd do to get around it. I'd find a friend who's an amazing graphic designer, and ask them to make a very creative announcement graphic (maybe even animated), including an ultrasound picture, the message you want to convey, maybe even some quotes or verses of scripture if you and your wife like that. Maybe even do it timeline style "Met x-date, married y-date, bought house z-date, new arrival expected q-date". You get the idea. Maybe you do not even put pictures other than an ultrasound one, maybe one of you and your wife at each milestone. I'm not sure, just throwing ideas out. My point is, I would make this so creative she cannot say no to it, and you will not even have to have the uncomfortable conversation about your stepdaughter not being in it.

notasm3's picture

I think that is stupid to include siblings in a birth announcement even if they are full siblings from an intact marriage.   The siblings did not produce the baby.   Don’t get me started on the “WE are pregnant” crap.  Only the mother to be is pregnant. 

pixielady's picture

I agree. For #2, I won't be having DS18mos in the birth announcement, but he will be in some maternity photos. SS9 will not be in maternity photos.

Harry's picture

dont set some guide lines now, it’s going to be hell.  How old is SD?  Because you will be doing thing with baby that SD may of never done.  And she is going to see she not First.  Expecially if there a big age difference. Going to see animals, going to kiddy places, with s small rides. Ect  You do not need a mini mom 

sunshinex's picture

THIS

I took a lot of baby photos, took my son all sorts of places, and made a big deal for all the firsts (we even had a 1/2 birthday celebration complete with a cake I spent hours decorating). SD's mom wasn't very involved and DH was always working 2 jobs to support her so she didn't get this complete one-on-one attention my son does. I made sure to explain that BS is the first time I'm getting to experience baby firsts so I'm making the most of it and there will be NO pouting, whining, etc. over what I do with MY son. 

loopsie's picture

I'm currently 8 months pregnant and went through this same thing with my DH.  The fortunate thing was that he has all of these ideas of things that he wants to do but doesn't follow through so I basically figured out what I wanted on my own.  He wanted to take a photo of SD with a sign or similiar saying I'm going to be a big sister and send it out to everyone.

What I finally ended up with was doing similiar but different things with both sets of our parents and friends.  This is the first grandchild for my parents (and possibly only grandchild) and I wanted to make this special for them.  I bought a card for my dad that included an ultrasound photo and a personal message and a bracelet for my mom that said grandma coming soon.  I had to mail this since they don't live close.  DH's parents received similiar items but he wanted SD to "announce" it to them so she gave them the items and told them.  I was present and thought the whole thing was very awkward and not at all what I would have chosen to do, however, it's what he wanted and at the end of the day it's his parents.  We told our friends separately. 

I'm not sure how well this scenario will work for you since your wife is so involved.  But it seems like veering away from the traditional announcement photos as other previous posters have mentioned above is a safe bet.  I really wanted pregnancy announcement photos but really couldn't figure out a way to get them done without SD (she has visitation only with her mother) and couldn't bear the thought of her in them - As a first time mom I wanted this to be a special time between my husband and I and it hasn't been what I've hoped for because he continues to be more concerned for SD than for me, even suggesting that she choose our son's name...

SteppedOut's picture

@ having SD choose your baby's name.

Isn't it horrible how the air is sucked out of this special time just to make sure skid is "ok". Like, what about ME, the mom!? 

lorlors's picture

Yes SD will be the HALF sibling and will get her time to see/cuddle/play with the baby but why on earth would she be included in the pregnancy announcement? I fear you may have set a nasty precedent by including her in your wedding vows. There was certainly no mention of my 2 stepbrats when I married DH, I can tell you that for nothing!

I am also 14 weeks pregnant with my first baby. The thought of including those 2 jerks in my pregnancy announcement (I am not doing one as I have had previous losses) or when the baby arrives is sickening to me.

The stepkids don't know about the pregnancy yet and will no doubt have sour faces and make sh1tty comments when we tell them. Why then would I make some happy clappy announcement that includes them?! For both my sake and theirs it would just be fake. They are older at 16 and 17 though, not sure if that makes a difference.

Even if they were still foetuses themselves LOL they wouldn't be included in any announcement with this baby. NO, NO and NO.

SK3's picture

I included Skids in my first announcement.  All it was was pairs of our shoes lined up with years we all were born (DH & I included) and then the year my son was born above the baby shoes.  So, they were in it, but they weren't in it - worked good for us.  The second just my bio son was in it - he wore a shirt that said he was going to be a big brother with the month/year my second son was due.  By then, my skids had made it VERY clear they did not approve of my pregnancies or wanting to have my own kids and they also didn't want anything to do with my kids. 

However, despite all of that, I don't regret having them help announce the first pregnancy.  I can say I tried and one day they will realize what they have done. 

Just wait until the baby comes.  You think deciding on a birth announcement is hard - when they do or do not want to be involved with the baby after they are born - THAT is when it's tough!

sunshinex's picture

I announced our pregnancy on social media without including SD. Nobody seemed to mind. When our son came, I announced that without including SD too. In fact, SIL picked SD up the morning of the birth and they kept her for a good week or so, so DH and I could have some alone time to get used to having a baby before SD got included. If I took maternity pictures, they would have been DH and myself - no SD. 

All my in-laws don't seem to care. I treat SD good and they know I care for her and take care of her, but they also know my son is my first biological child and there's something special about that and it deserves to be treated that way. I also post photos of my son and I with very sentimental words (I tend to write a lot!) and nobody questions why I don't do the same with SD. It's like... why fake it? SD knows I'm her stepmom. I know i'm her stepmom. We all KNOW this lol 

Seeker6417's picture

Well, I managed to get through the announcement without including SD. 

But overall, I think it's easier for people to leave their stepkids out of an announcement if the other bio parent is still present. In my case, since SD has never even known her father, all she has is a stepfather. So it looks worse, in circumstances like that, to leave her out. It looks more intentional (which it is but the point is not to admit that).

sunshinex's picture

Of course it's intentional. This is YOUR first baby. I had a sit-down with my husband very early pregnancy to explain what a huge deal this was to me. I wanted to enjoy MY firsts throughout pregnancy and when the baby was here. Including SD would have made it feel like a "second" when it wasn't. He was onboard with it right away - as long as it wasn't directly in SD's face hurting her feelings. We even did a 3D ultrasound - just the two of us - and when the tech asked if it was our first baby, DH smiled at me and said "yup!" 

It's so important your wife lets you enjoy these firsts. You only get them once. Your first baby is a whirlwind of emotions and you deserve to feel them. SD can be included in her own way. Take her out to pick an outfit for the baby. Let her help you pick an outfit out for her/him once in a while when they arrive. Little things can go a long way for her, but you should still get the major "firsts" (ultrasound, announcements, etc.) free from having to include her if you don't want to. 

Laneyshea's picture

You do not have to inclue your SD in the announcement/ picuters/ whatever. I am including mine, however i have taken over sole "Mother" care and role in my "step" sons life. He refers to me as his mother, because is mother is not involved. She calls about 1 time a week, sometimes going months without calling and hasn't seen him in well over a year. 

Now, I understand where you are coming from. Although I don't know how you feel, I get it. Not everyone has the relationship with their step children as i have with mine. There are several announcements you could have that would only involve you and your wife. However i suggest some sort of compromise. If the announcement is just you and youre wife, maybe do pictures after as a "Welcoming baby" announcement after born or something along those lines. And i agree with pp, allowing SD to help out in any way, even if it's just retrieving diapers when needed for you, or helping with clothing a couple of times or something. Make sure you enjoy the first, But if SD is willing to help in anyway, even in the smallest, I would take it.