You are here

Housing.

Babydahl33's picture

My husband told me to ask people who aren't emotionally involved in our lives regarding our current issue to get their opinions. So here I am. When I got into my current relationship I already owned a home with 10 years left on the mortgage. My child support was used to pay off the remaining 10 years. My husband now wants me to sell my home and buy a new one putting us further into debt, so that he can leave something for his children with his ex. I believe that at 33 he can do stocks and bonds for them just as easily while we can live comfortable not paying a mortgage. He believes that's not fair to his other kids. I believe that with 11 kids between us. They wouldn't get much each from 1 house anyways, and already owning a house leaves us in a better financial situation to do other things for them. He is threatening to leave if I don't agree to what he is requesting. What are the thoughts on this?

twopines's picture

Your husband is acting like a brat. There is no reason to do this ridiculous thing. If he's threatening to leave you over this, he must not be that much of a husband. Those are my thoughts.

Ughugh's picture

Keep your house and everything else separate. Half the hills and keep track of everything. My gut tells me you should leave, but visit an attorney before you make that decision. My DH wants to leave our house to his kids, we pay for everything half half, but he thinks it's HIS house. I'm still evaluating daily what to do. But, all I know is Karma is a Bitch lol

GoodBye's picture

I wouldn't do it. And threatening to leave over such a stupid idea would be setting off some serious alarms in my head.

Jsmom's picture

Oh hell no. Never go into debt for this...You spend your money, you don't intend on leaving anything for the kids. You have 11, he is crazy, they will not get much.

Shaman29's picture

He wants you to sell your home so you can go into debt and buy a new one he can leave to his kids, HIS KIDS, not your kids, when he dies.

Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

Let him leave, it sounds like he's only in it for what you can do for his kids. Not for the entire family. Or you for that matter. If he dies before you, what about you?? His only concern is for his kids?

Sounds like he's looking for an easy way out of something.

positivelyfourthstreet's picture

It's just plain stupid to buy another house and go in debt when this one is almost paid off

Is he trying to tie everything up so you can't leave when it gets too deep?

Calypso1977's picture

You are very, very foolish to walk away from a home that is paid for.

If it is that important to your husband, tell him to set up a Roth IRA and some other investments to leave for his kids.

For what its worth, i owned a home while i was married. I took the money in the bank and he kept the house. My fiance had lived in BM's family home with her parents all during their marriage, and as a result she got the house but he a nice cash settlement out of the deal.

We could well afford our own home but rent by choice as its easier and cheaper in our area than buying. But really neither of us want the work of a home. Our respective homes tied us down way too much during our marriages. I have zero desire to ever own anything ever again.

Orange County Ca's picture

Keep your house and tell him you'll help buy whatever he wants. You'll rent yours out and except for some hold-back for rental expenses you'll use the rent to help pay for your mutual held house and mortgage. Create two Living Trusts, one in each of your names, and the mortgage and deed will be held by the two Trusts - each having a indivisible half interest. A trust attorney does this every day - total cost for two trusts can be way less than a thousand.

His trust allows you to live in the new home until you die, yours does the same for him.

hereiam's picture

So, he wants you to sell the house that YOU paid for to take on payments for a new house that he wants to leave his kids? This would benefit you not.at.all.

Why should you, why WOULD you, go into debt so that he can leave his kids a house? And it would only be half a house, as half would be yours to leave to whomever you want.

If he wants to leave something for his kids, he can invest HIS money in something.

He sounds like a user, quite frankly. Your bio says he's your fiance. I would really think about this relationship and would not marry him if he is threatening to leave over this. Let him leave. It's not in your best interest to sell your house.

Steppy MN2's picture

My DH wanted me to sell my almost paid for house and buy one with him so that we would be invested in something together. I said "no because if something happened to one of us then the remaining party would have to deal with each others kids". He didn't really like that idea. Of course he didn't really like that I wanted and got a pre-nup either but I told him what I had worked for in my life was for my kids and if I died and he died 5 minutes later, his kids would get what I worked for instead of my kids.
He sold his house, we got married and he and his kids moved in with me and we took out term life insurance policies on each other. They were cheap and we both felt protected financially.
We dated for 6 years before we got married................lo and behold two and half years later, he moved out and sent me divorce papers. Let me tell you how happy I am that I kept my house and got a pre-nup.
Don't sell your house, don't get intertwined in financial situations with him even if he is your husband..............protect your kids!!!
Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. You never know when the worst will happen.

Babydahl33's picture

Well thank you all for the opinions. I want to make it clear that I was against selling the house but he was insistent that everyone else with a brain would agree with him, so I wanted to show him how ridiculous what he was saying really was. In the end it's all a moot point because he left work today picked up his daughter and his clothes and move out. I will however that reading all the replies did help me feel like I was making the best decision and helped me to stay strong in my conviction. So thank you all very much.

Rags's picture

Your house, your asset. If DH wants to buy a new house then buy it. Put the new house in both of your names and the mortgage in his. You get the house if something happens to him. Make sure his life insurance is adequate to pay off the new house.

If he wants to leave something to his prior spawn he can get another life insurance policy naming those spawn as his beneficiaries or better yet, a big policy naming all of his/your children as beneficiaries.

I suppose as a no bio-kid Step Dad my sensitivities to leaving a legacy for Spawn is a bit weak. In our marriage we are each the sole beneficiary of each other’s estates and insurance policies. If we are both gone then it all goes to the Skid with the exception of some specific personal and family heirloom items that go to specific individuals other than each other or the Skid.

To make sure our desires for the Skid to finish college are firmly communicated he gets shit for nothing until he finishes a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or turns 40 whichever comes first. Our way of parenting from beyond the grave if necessary.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

he left work today picked up his daughter and his clothes and move out.

I hope you told him "Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.". What a jacka$$.