You are here

Splitting mortgage

Sheronrabindra's picture

I am married and my husband has two kids. He is a week about parent. He has his own house which will be evantually going to the kids.  The house is a 3 bedroom house and two rooms are the girls. I don’t have any kids of my own. We split all the bills and grocery’s 2 ways. I also pay him 150 a week as rent. His mortgage is about 2200 a month and insurance and rates is about 5000 a year. At this stage I believe me paying the 150 covers the insurance and rates. I believe seeing that I don’t have any kids and the house will be going to his kids eventually, I shouldn’t be paying the mortgage. And he believes I should go halves with the mortgage or contribute more. He does earn twice what I earn. Any advise on what I should be paying? 

SteppedOut's picture

I would not want to pay more than 1/4 of the bills and given the house will go to the girls (even tho you are married), I'm not sure I would pay more than you currently are. And he earns double you do? But wants you to pay half (helping to cover his kids)?

This doesn't sound like a very good relationship, based on finances... How is the rest of the relationship? 

GirlfriendMom's picture

I don't understand this at ALL. 

I pay a few bills once a month and buy groceries every week because he legitimately needed/needs my help currently due to him starting a new job. Even then, my SO still pays off those bills for me when he can as work life gets more stable because he doesn't think I should be having to do any of this in the first place... and this is a house we will eventually leave as soon as we can! 

Your SO is over here asking you to pay mortgage on a house that isnt even yours? When he makes twice what you make? To leave to his kids? 

This is all sorts of using behavior imo. He should not be asking you to do this. You shouldn't be paying anything (unless he legitimately needed your help to not lose the house or something because then that effects you both).

MrsStepMom's picture

I don’t really get why the kids would get the house if he passs before you. But ok. I wouldn’t be ok with that. I agree paying half a one bedroom and 1/4 of the bills. You don’t need to support his kids, that’s his job. If the house was going to you I could see paying half but otherwise hell no. 

tog redux's picture

I can’t get past that he’s leaving his house to his kids. Who does that? So he’s your landlord? Why do these men get remarried?

mro's picture

I'm in that situation and my house (fully paid for before we met) goes to my kids along with the rest of my assets.  His assets will go to his kids.  We agreed to this early on.  It's not that unusual.  

tog redux's picture

Seems weird to me. So you are each left with nothing if the other dies first? What if you die first and that makes DH homeless? Hope your kids don’t just kick him out into the streets. 

Seems like people don’t care about second spouses as they do first, at the risk of sounding like CG. 

mro's picture

We were both financially comfortable (him in retirement and me approaching retirement) before we met.  We met online, and frankly, not being self-supporting was a dealbreaker for both of us.  He would not accept me gifting him half of any of my assets anyway, and he does not want to purchase half the house.  We do want to downsize eventually, and buy something together, but for now, he pays "rent" and I pay for the maintenance, taxes, and insurance.

You raise a good point; we have discussed setting up a life interest in the house to address that very scenario. It will depend on what his wishes would be; I do not believe he would want to live in the house permanently, for several reasons, but it would be prudent to put the house in trust specifying a set period of time to stay, if he chooses to.  One of those things I haven't gotten around to.  Thanks for the reminder. My kids live out of the state/country and I don't think they have any interest in owning the property, and theyre all close to him so I don't see them kicking him out.  Still...everything better when put in writing.

tog redux's picture

I totally get protecting some assets for kids, and I can see putting a house in trust if it was a multi-generational family home or something, but if they don't want it anyway, why not specify that after DH dies (if he survives you), your kids get X amount of whatever's left and his kids get Y amount?

I don't know the right way to find a balance between leaving a inheritance for kids and ensuring your spouse is comfortable until their death. I just can't imagine paying DH "rent" because his house is going to someone else, when I could be building equity in my own house.

STaround's picture

Second to die may have assets depleted by a lawsuit, nursing home, second or third marriage, whatever.  Second to die can make generous gifts to his/her kids.  A lot of these arrangements which appear to be fair favor the children of the second to die, which is generally, but not always the SM.

When my DH and I got married, we agreed that our own kids would inherit from their own bioparent. .  DH has the right to stay in my house for 6 months. He has a vacation home, and I saw no need for me to get any temporary rights to it on his death.  

I would be curious about OP's discussion with her DH when they were engaged.  IMHO, these things have to be discussed frankly but with compassion before the marriage. 

tog redux's picture

I don't have a problem with putting things in trust. I do have a problem with one spouse paying "rent" to another spouse with no equity gained from it.  The home-owning spouse gets to make money while the other loses it. 

Other assets can be put in trust, but a house should be owned by the two parties who live in it. If that can't be agreed upon, then the home-owning person should either sell that house, or use it as investment/rental income that goes into trust for their kids.  But I would not for a minute agree to what your DH did.  He's losing money while you gain money from your house.  No way.

Frankly, it's unfair and selfish.  What if your home goes up 50% in value while he pays "rent" - he gets nothing for that, but if he owned the home, he has equity in it.

Kids aren't entitled to an inheritance, but spouses should be entitled to live comfortable after their partner dies.  Not eating ramen because someone wanted their kids to get everything.  What if he's disabled and unable to get out of the house in 6 months? Too bad, so sad, out you go.

Glad my DH loves me as much as he loves his kid and doesn't intend to let me suffer while he gives everything to his kid.

STaround's picture

He is using his money to keep up his vacation home, which we use together, and I use my money to keep up our primary residence.  His house may appreciate more than mine.  

You might feel differently if you had kids.  A lot of times this comes down to whose kids will inherit, not will spouse be eating ramen.  Since we got married, my DH has been maxing his 401K, and he should be pay off his retirement home.  

tog redux's picture

My spouse has a kid and he doesn't feel differently. He put me on the deed to his house.

And you said it exactly - you care more about your kids inheriting than you do what happens to your spouse after you die. So I hope he's not paying you "rent", or if he is, you are paying "rent" for the use of his vacation home.

STaround's picture

I treat him as an adult, not a kid.  Isn't that what people recommend for adult kids?  I worked with him on budgets, encouraged him to max his 401Ik and start college savings for his kid.  I think all adults should be financially responsible. 

No, neither is paying "rent" although I guess you could say we have a barter arrangement, whereby he gets use of primary home, and I get use of vacation home.  

SteppedOut's picture

In your situation, I find the way you are doing things totally acceptable. Your home is paid off - or nearing so.

But in this situation he wants her to pay for half of the asset (PLUS expenses-including food when he has 2 children also in the home) and have no rights to it. If she is going to be paying half of a 15 year mortgage (minus a few years that she didn't live there and then paid "only 600$" a month), this is completely different than your situation.

tog redux's picture

If the house is paid off, the only way I'd agree to live in it without being on the deed is if I didn't have to pay anything other than my half of utilities.  Even the taxes should be paid by the homeowner, since he/she is the one benefiting from this asset.

I would never agree to pay "rent" to someone who was eventually going to own the house and cut me out of any equity. DH is the only name on our mortage, but he put me on the deed as soon as we got married. This is OUR house.

tog redux's picture

That's totally fine.  If DH dies before we pay off the mortgage, I will get a mortgage of my own and keep paying.

My point is not that I am not equally responsible for the house, my point is that I have equal EQUITY in the house.

SteppedOut's picture

If the home is paid for, I see no need for "rent" to be paid either. I do think 1/2 of utilities is fair also. 

tog redux's picture

Not financially.  You can pay for half of home upkeep, etc, and get nothing from it in the end, while your spouse gets all the equity in the house that you've paid to upkeep.

It's different if it's a business relationship with a landlord - you pay to live in his/her property. 

mro's picture

If she is going to go on the mortgage, she can go on the deed.  And if there is significant equity she can buy out her share. I would not pay half the mortgage, taxes, and insurance otherwise.    Of course then she will be co-owner and reap any gain, or take any loss from the property.  Not all properties appreciate.  And they need repairs, new roofs, etc over time.  

Sandybeaches's picture

Whilte that may be it doesn't sound to me like SHE agrees with it.  Maybe they are her husbands thoughts and wishes but not hers if I am reading her right.  

TwoOfUs's picture

That's a different situation. I understand a later in life marriage keeping assets separate for each partners' kids.

Thats nothing like the OP's situation. She's childless. Her DH has two kids who are young enough to still come over for 50/50 visitation. The house is not paid for. 

Now, OP is paying half of everything except mortgage (where she's paying about 1/4), is contributing to the maintenance and upkeep of the home...I'm sure she cleans, cooks...does repairs, changes air filters...etc. Yet she'll never experience any of the benefits of homeownership. And her husband is asking that she raise her mortgage contribution to half?! How shitty of him. 

He's already put her in a fundamentally inequitable position by marrying a childless woman. She'll help raise kids that aren't hers for him...he'll never do the same for her. And now he's asking for MORE?! Shitty, shitty, shitty behavior.

Instead, he should be doing everything possible to make her life easier and MINIMIZE the inequality of the situation. Not expecting her to cover half of all expenses for HIS kids, including half the mortgage for a house she'll never own...well, that would be a great start.

Rags's picture

You pay half if he puts you on the deed for the house.  Not a penny should you be paying until then.   This is not about the house going to the Skids, this is about you not supporting his children by developing an asset for them.  He is your husband. The home you share with him is YOUR home and not HIS home to give to HIS children if you are paying the mortgage, or part of the mortgage.  If  you survive him, it is YOUR home.  If he survives you, it is HIS home to do with as he sees fit.

Unless.... you have children in which case your Will will have do deal with the disposition of your assets.

You only go halves for assets that are yours.

IMHO of course.

ndc's picture

How much would a 3 bedroom house similar to the one you're living in rent for?  I might consider paying 25% of that amount, plus 25% of the household expenses and groceries.  That assumes you're not doing more than your fair share of the housework and child care.  If you are, then I'd reduce my contribution because of  that uncompensated work.  I also think it would be fair for your husband to pick up an even larger share of the expenses than 75% simply because he makes more.  When there's a large income disparity, splitting things evenly doesn't necessarily feel right, especially if the expenses are higher than you would choose to pay on your own because his income allows a more expensive lifestyle.  For him to expect you to pay half of the household expenses and half of the mortgage is ridiculous. 

Rags's picture

I always struggle with this topic.  This isn't something that I have every even considered in my life or seen the people in my life consider.  Marriage is a merging of two peoples lives and fortunes.    My parents have been married for pushing 57 years and never once have they ever progressed through life as anything but equity life partners. What belongs to each of them belongs to both of them.  Marrital income is marrital income.   They have an historically traditional marriage.  Dad is the earner, mom is the heart of the family.  

My bride and I have a more contemporary version of that model.  We both work and earn and it is all marrital assets.  We don't split the mortgage, bills, etc.... it is our mortgage, they are our bills and it all represents our assets.  

Now, if one or the other of us had brought a paid off home to the marriage I could see some recognition of that in how that asset would be addressed in a Will.  But.. if there is a mortgage and marrital income (any penny earned by the labors of either partner are marrital income IMHO) then that house is a marrital asset and the ownership documents for that house should reflect that it is a marrital asset.  Certainly any equity existing in that home at the initiation of the marriage can be recognized as being brought by the applicable partner but from that initial point any equity built through the retiring of the mortgage with marrital income or growth in the market value are marrital assets.

I would not be in a relationship with a partner who informed me that the home we were paying off together was their child's home.  Nope. Not happenin.  That house would either have a for sale sign in front of it ... or a moving van.

In a marriage between two financially secure spouses distribution of the assets brought by each should be allocated as the person bringing those assets to the marriage sees fit.

elkclan's picture

You haven't experienced this because you got with your wife when you were both relatively young and you built up assets together. My pre-marital assets will go to my son. But I will not leave my partner homeless. But on his death (should I pre-decease him) I don't see why my pre-marital assets should go to his kids in part or take the risk of ALL the assets going to his kids if I left him that part of the estate outright without protection for my son. I mean in Tog's case - let's say her DH dies and he leaves the house to her and she remarries and leaves house to new husband. This means her DH's ss gets nothing. She may be ok with that. Her DH may be ok with that. I'm sure not ok with that in my case. 

I believe in your family there is an issue with your parents wanting to leave more money to your brother because his kids are their bio-grandkids.(I may have misremembered?) 

My SO got screwed in his divorce so my steps should be taken care of largely via BM. She got the house. In our case my equity will only buy half the new house (or so) that portion of the final sale will go to MY SON or TO ME should we split up. The other half of the house will be split across the kids. Even though I'll pay (roughly) half and my son gets a third. Each partner will have the right to stay in the house. On the other hand my partner's income will probably go up by more than mine will and he wont' be paying child support forever - so maybe it is fair. Other post-marital assets will be shared across the kids. 

Rags's picture

I get that for partners that bring assets to a marriage that those assets go where the person who brought the asset says that they go.  As it should be.

In my case, my assets went to complete my undergrad so we started our marriage with my newly completed degree, two appartments full of college furniture, and two 6 year old vehicles.  Our current condition is simple.  We have built what we have together.  SS is the only heir to our estate.  I adopted him.  For a blended family situation ours is about as uncomplicated as it gets.  At least in comparison to the "norm" in the STalker world.

As far as my parent's estate, .... you did not misremember the general past situation other than they did not intend to leave my brother more money.  My mom had the idea to create a trust and leave their direct heirs equal shares.  Even before that they named SS in their Will(s) specifically and with a lump sum inherritance upon the advice of their attorney.  The intent was to protect their estate from the SpermClan.  

They were going to leave their direct heirs equal shares in the estate until my brother took exception to that.   His perspective was that if my parents did not just split it equally between he and I he wanted nothing for he and his kids and would give it all to me upon their passing. He did not feel it was fair for he and his kids to get 4/5ths of their estate because he had BKs and I did not.  He also expressed that it is his responsibility and mine to provide for our families.    I agreed with him. Mom and dad removed SS from their will when I adopted him and left the rest as originally stipulated. Their estate is split between my brother and I.  My kid gives them crap for taking him out of their Will(s). They return his ration of crap by telling him "welcome to the family".  He has always been their eldest GK.  My parents met he and his mom about a month before my niece was born.   His mom and I married 5mos after our niece was born.   He is no longer different from the other three GKs.  Other than the stipulated lump sum in their old Will, he never has been different from his three Rags cousins as far as my parents are concerned.   

Monkeysee's picture

Considering you’ll be getting zero equity out of this home & 3/4 of the people living there are your DuH & his kids, there is a snowballs chance in hell I’d ever agree to split the mortgage & bills down the middle. 

600 in rent & 1/4 of the bills/food is fair. Considering you’re not building equity you need to be saving for your future on your own. If you & your husband don’t have a prenup, I think a postnup would be smart. Protect yourself, this a$$ clearly isn’t thinking of anyone but himself & his offspring.

Rags's picture

I waffle on this one. 

On one hand if I was living in a home owned by my spouse that I was not gaining equity in I would not pay a penny in rent and would only participate in utilities and food and then only at the level of a single resident of the home. If SO brings 3 kids to the marriage, I would pay 20% of the food and utilities. The partner bringing the kids has to provide a home for the 4 of them anyway, if I have no ownership position, did not choose the home, etc... not my bill.  Though I would happily live there ... rent free.

On the other hand, I am a marital income guy.  The earnings of both spouses is marital income, it all goes into the marital pot.  I don't see that working when the other partner is not similarly all in. The home owned by one partner should be sold, the proceeds put in trust for that spouse's spawn (including any ours babies) to be split equally by the beneficiaries, then the spouses can get down to the business of building a life and assets together. Those assets go to the surviving spouse when one passes and they can do with it as they wish and leave it to who they wish. The SKids to this type of marriage will inherit from their BM as well as their father so any assets that are accrued during the course of the next marriage should go to any ours babies. In the event of no ours babies, the surviving spouse chooses where it goes.  Hopefully things are good enough for half of the final estate to go to the children of each spouse.  

Fortunately I do not have this struggle in my marriage. Neither does my wife.  We have built our assets together, SS is an only child in our marriage, ultimately he will get it all when his mom and I have left the building. He asked me to adopt him, we made that happen, so there is no drama on his inheriting from either his mom or I... unless... we have an ours spawn (My DW is 45 so it is not beyond the bounds of possibility.. though extremely unlikely) in which case SS would have to share. 

Harry's picture

He really does not own the house, he just just bought it,  Not really own until the mortgage is payroll off. Personally I could not pay on a home that goes to my SK,  That not a relationship, if you buy a TV or washing machine.  That is yours or it’s goes with the house? If you paint the wall, that a lost can’t take the paint. 

If you are paying part of the morage and in a relationship, that house should be yours after five years or so. In my case when I was given 1/2 the house it was worth less then the money own on it.

p

STaround's picture

I did not see when he bought it, or how much he put down.  This could be a million dollar house.  The only should I think is that they should have discussed this before they got married.  

TwoOfUs's picture

Hey OP - 

To answer your original question, this arrangement is completely unfair to you in every way. 

I, too, married a man with kids as a childless woman...and it is a fundamentally unfair relationship. There's no escaping that fact. You are providing support and care for children who aren't yours, and he will never understand that sacrifice or be able to reciprocate. Even if you end up having children together...those are his kids, too. He will never do for you what you are voluntarily doing for him. 

I think that you understand this inequity deep in your soul, like I do, and it's a painful realization. That's why...when your DH then on top of not understanding or appreciating everything you've already sacrificed to be with him...turns around and suggests that you should sacrifice more...it can truly cut like a knife. 

What your DH is doing here is 1000% wrong. No spouse should feel like she/he would be better off and more financially secure without their spouse than with their spouse. No wife should watch her husband build equity for his kids and have nice things while she struggles to get by. Spouses are supposed to work together to ensure each others' well-being...one spouse isn't supposed to use the other for the benefit of his kids from a previous marriage. 

You've asked about your financial situation here, but I know from experience that finances are only part of the picture. You haven't said anything about how the child care, cooking, cleaning, and other household duties are divided up in your home...but based on you calling your stepkids "the girls" I get the feeling that you're expected to treat them like your own kids. To care for them, cook for them, drive them around...play happy family. Am I right? 

So...essentially, your husband expects you to treat "the girls" like they are your family when it comes to your time and resources...pay half the groceries, taxi them around, be super stepmom to them...but when it comes to the home, suddenly you aren't really family. Am I correct? 

The reason this feels unfair is because it is utterly unfair. Your husband can't expect you to feed and pay for these girls as if they are yours and then turn around and exclude you from any equity you're building together in that home. He can't have it both ways. 

Sadly, I see this dynamic a lot with divorced men with kids and childless women...and, again, it's not only financial. My husband had similar expectations for "one big happy family" where I loved and cherished his kids just like my own...and I often felt like he used "the kids" as a giant trump card to get everything he wanted. We have to do Christmas with my family "for the kids" and we can't do that thing you want to do "because kids" etc. It got to the point that I couldn't hear any version of "but what about the kiiiidddddssss??!" without wanting to get violent. The resentment had gotten so strong. 

Eventually I realized that marrying a man with kids didn't mean I had to give up my rights and totally erase my identity in favor of HIS family. We had a bit of a come to Jesus meeting (or several) and things changed for the better. (Of course, my DH would never have dreamed of leaving me off the deed to his house, which he did own before we got married, potentially leaving me homeless...so there's that.) 

You need to have a similar talk with your husband. You learning how to stand up for yourself and your rights within a marriage relationship does not mean that you are "arbitrarily changing the arrangement" on your husband, as a certain not-a-stepmom poster would have you believe. I once heard marriage described as one long contract negotiation...and I believe that's correct. If you are unhappy or are starting to feel resentment...you not only have the right to "renegotiate" the terms of your marriage...I believe you also have the responsibility. I mean...the only other option is for that totally understandable resentment you're feeling to simmer just below the surface until you explode and say things you regret or walk away from your marriage. Doesn't your DH deserve to know how you're feeling before that happens? 

Your DH has unfair expectations of you. It's not right to expect that you treat them like family but they don't have to treat you like family. That's the heart of the issue here.

I would give your DH two options:

1.) We're roommates. I will buy my own food that I expect will be left alone, pay 1/4 of utilities, and pay a reasonable "rent" for my portion of the one room that I rent (By my calculations, 1/2 of 1/3 of the house = $366 a month out of a $2200 mortgage. You can round it up to $400 if you're feeling generous. You shouldn't be paying any of the insurance on the home because it isn't your asset to protect)

2.) We're spouses and family. You put my name on the deed and I will pay a percentage of the mortgage that's in keeping with our respective income levels, 1/2 the groceries on non-kid weeks, and 1/4-1/3 of utilities (because it's still not your job to pay for his kids). 

You should start the conversation with your DH by saying something like: "DH, I've been thinking about your request...and I've realized I am no longer willing to sacrifice my time, energy, and financial security on the altar of your children. We need to talk." 

Go from there. 

STaround's picture

I never would have agreed to either.   When DH and I got married, my house was mostly paid for.   The mortgage was small, compared to the equity.  

Yes, she can talk with him.  But she should be prepared for  him to come back with a counter, and we do not know enough to know what is fair. 

tog redux's picture

I'd leave if DH reduced our life together to a business transaction and "counter offers" in order to make everything "fair".

TwoOfUs's picture

"We do not know enough to know what is fair." 

Well...we know that he has 2 kids and she's childless. He makes double what she makes. He hasn't put her on the deed for the marital home. Yet he expects her to pay 1/2 of all utilities and groceries, even though he has his kids in the home...and has now asked her to pay 1/2 of the mortgage, too. 

So we do know enough to know what's not fair

As a childless woman who married a man with kids...I know first-hand that it's impossible to know everything that you "should" discuss before marriage. Especially if it's your first marriage and you're young. That doesn't mean you don't get to object or change the arrangement later when you realize you're getting taken advantage of. That happens all the time. People change, circumstances change...people move, get sick...etc. Hopefully you are able to talk about a lot of important stuff before marriage, but there's no possible way to know everything that you'll need to discuss. 

This woman's DH is using her. She has a responsibility to herself and her marriage to do something about it. 

Harry's picture

You  an get a $300,000 life insurance policy on DH so if he dies you have money to buy something. 

you can put $1000 a month is done type of 401 or saving account . So in 30 years you would have $400,000. Or some combo of both ot these 

ldvilen's picture

To me this conversation confirms how most look at SMs--as sloppy seconds.  All this talk about yours, mine, and very little ours, trying to equate spouses to tennants, weighing everything on a scale and it is supposed to come out "equal" and so on.  Nonesense.  This type of language is rarely used even when a couple just want to live together, and it is even rarer to use it with a 1st marriage.

However, surprise!, it seems to come up all the time with second marriages, even if if is just one of the partners who is getting married for the second time.  If it is the other partners first time, well. . .  too bad for her or him.  S/he has just joined the sloppy seconds club regardless.

A marriage is not two people giving 50:50.  It is two people giving 100% all the time.  And, a marriage is a marriage.  There is a marriage and then there is a roommate or tennant.  It is extremely humiliating for me (and I'm sure other SMs) to see people continually try to treat my marriage to my husband more as if I am a rommate or tennant.  I'm not.  I'm a spouse.  End of story. 

TwoOfUs's picture

Yep. I agree with you 1000% and, thankfully, my DH agrees with this, too.

I only mentioned the idea of a "roommate" because other posters brought up the ridiculous point that "if she were renting" she wouldn't expect to be on the deed. I mean...of course not. But "if she were renting" she also wouldn't expect to have to live with her landlord's children and pay for their food and electricity. So her DH can't treat her "like a roommate" when it suits him and "like family" when it benefits him and his kids. He has to choose. 

The sad truth is...for childless women going into their first/only marriage with a man with kids, the scales are tipped against them in an enormous way. They go in wanting it to be 100-100...assuming that it is. And giving, and giving, and giving and looking out for everyone else...until they come to the realization, as this poster has, that no one is looking out for them. 

At that point, I think you have to talk to your husband about it and explain how things look like on your side of the marriage. I did this...and it took a long time and lots of explanations...but my DH stepped up and started to look out for me and my concerns more. He didn't even realize our goals weren't the same until I pointed it out to him...

2nd wives club's picture

Why is your DH no longer okay with the current finanical arrangements? He feels what he feels, but it doesn't mean he's right. You think you're paying enough, and it sounds reasonable to me, considering the salary discrepancies.

Take the emotion out of it, sit down with your DH and use an excel spreadsheet, etc. and break down all the costs/expenses. How much food/water/electricity is being used by him and the skids? Do you spend lots on clothes and eating out while he eats a bagged lunch every day? Does he have expensive hobbies like golf, etc? 

Ask DH what his intentions are for the house. You're assuming he's leaving it to the kids. He may be intending to leave it to you and that's why he wants you paying more? 

STaround's picture

I have read and re-read OP and I think she is saying that because she has no kids, the house will eventually wind up with them.   I agree with discussing budget.  Houses are difficult, she may not be able to afford, or want the house by herself, but he may not think it fair for her to sell and get all the proceeds.   Insurance may be a better answer. 

irishtwins1617's picture

I’m definitely interested in hearing back from the OP, I think money is always a touchy subject. But, I think we all need to be ruthless about it in today’s world (to a point). 

What I mean by this in the OPs circumstance is she is paying into something she will never receive from. Now, I know in some instances, like renting, that’s pretty much what happens, but that’s NOT her case.

Shes married, so she shouldn’t be in the state of “renting,” anyway! If the husband ever sells the house, she’s entitled to nothing. If he is really giving the house to the kids in the event of his death, she’s getting nothing. Aren’t we all working towards something in our lives, and not just throwing away money frivolously? I don’t think this is a great set up for her. 

If her name goes on the title, then fine. Pay half because she’s entitled to half. But at the point, I’d just recommend helping with the utilities and weekly expenses- not even rent! As his wife, that’s a bit ridiculous to me (trying not to judge, but look out for OPs best interest). 

flmomma08's picture

Money issues are always tough, especially in blended families, but this just does not seem fair to you. Would he be willing to refinance and add you to the mortgage, if you are even interested in that? Do you even WANT to stay in this house, or would you rather move into a "ours" house with your DH? It sounds like you are paying more than what it would cost to rent your own place. He should be paying the majority of those bills (in my opinion) since the house is not in your name, you are not the beneficiary of said house, AND he has kids - he needs to pay their share too!

Phoebe333's picture

I have been there op. Get your own savings account and retirement IRA. $600 is enough. Splitting household bills is unfair to YOU. Make sure you have a good car. I suggest that he sell the house as he can't afford it. Then, u can buy something together. House should go to you if he dies. Upon your death the kids would inherit...but not before. My husband has much more in savings than I do bc he's very thrifty. He'd rather have money invested than new furniture, car, or take a vacation. After 25 years, it's getting worse....not better.  

However, he does use his own savings for skids. That is something I learned to insist on the hard way. 

ldvilen's picture

The sad thing is, you wouldn't think a husband and wife acting like husband a wife would be a hot topic, would you?  You wouldn't think that a husband taking care of his wife in her old age and a wife taking care of her husband in his old age would be a hot topic, would you?  Or, you'd think it would be simply common knowledge that a husband and wife share things together and plan for a future together--that their life is much more "ours" than "your stuff" and "my stuff."

But, welcome to the crazy backward world of step-parenting, where some people, even so-called professionals, like to pretend that dad and SM can be married for years, and yet there is no such thing as "ours"--just yours and mine.

Maxwell09's picture

Pay what is equal to a 1 bedroom apartment you could rent with the same specs. Because the reality is that you could also live in the apartment on your own and just "date" him until his kids are grown and this whole argument would be null. 

Sandybeaches's picture

This situation is why you get a fresh start when you get married.  You do not move into a house either of you had prior to marriage unless you agree to share it.  Both names on the deed both parties 50/50. Anything less is just asking for failure and starting off with tremendously low expectations!! 

If either of  you have children from a prior marriage then that is what trusts are set up for.  The house can be lived in by the surviving spouse until their death, and when both are gone then it would go to all of the children involved on both sides. 

That being said I do not know what state you are in but in most states you can't leave a spouse nothing.  So if the house becomes part of the estate many states have the spouse entitled to a certain portion.  So good luck to him leaving the house and all of his possessions to his children.  

No one would ever think any of this was ok with a first marriage so why would anyone think it is ok to have a spouse live like a renter paying rent and expenses and then being left homeless with nothing in the event of their spouses death? INSANE!!  

ldvilen's picture

Again, no one here is arguing that finances shouldn't be discussed.  That goes without saying--of course they should be.  What SPs are arguing here and often have to argue elsewhere is that there is this recurring theme on these boards that "if he pays his bills and pays for his kids, then you don't get any say over how he spends HIS money!!!" 

When you are married, there really is no such thing as your money and my money.  However DH and SM set up their finances--fine--it is up to them.  But, I find too many non-SPs like to imply or for some bizarre reason think that all SPs and their partners set it up for yours, mine and no ours.  Or, they like to think that that is the only way or ideal way to do it.

For most, it is not.  For most, just like any other married couple, SPs and their partners have your, mine AND ours.  Thus, just like any other married couple, if the husband is spending money on hunting, fishing, other women, drinking, and so on (and, yes, this includes children), this affects BOTH the husband and wife's finances.  A SP doesn't have to spend even one dime on her SKs to be paying for them, quite literally. 

It does appear to me that the OP and her husband had engaged in some extensive discussion of their financial expectations prior.  Didn’t help them at all.  Why?  Because like many, including DH himself in this situation, dad’s wife was treated more like a roommate, ho or tenant vs. a wife.

Approximately five years ago, after being married to my DH for 14 years, I had my eyes opened about how it was possible for even my own husband to “conveniently” forget I was his wife.  I worked extremely hard these last five years to get him to finally see that I am a wife period, and not just a buddy that he can treat as a wife whenever he or someone else so choses. 

Whatever his children think or grandchildren will come to think, I don’t give a damn.  I just feel comfortable knowing that my DH and I are husband and wife and we will treat each other as husband and wife and we will take care of each other like husband and wife ‘til the end or our days.

Rags's picture

You are married.  You are not a tenant.  Do not pay a penny for an asset that is not yours.  He either puts you on the deed or sells the home, puts the proceeds in trust for his kids, and the two of you purchase a home together, or you live for free.

HoosierHalfDad's picture

I'm not sure how this isn't fair? Why wouldn't his kids get the house if he passed away? How are you being "used"?? Did you go into the marriage looking for a nice home to acquire, once your husband died? I doubt it. Nice things cost money. Pay your half. It's not like the kids can go get jobs! Why is this even an issue??

TwoOfUs's picture

Really?!?! 

You're not sure how it's unfair for her to pay half of all bills when he brings three people to the home and she brings one? It's basic math. 

Did he have kids expecting someone else to pay for them?  I doubt it. Kids cost money. He should pay his half of their care by himself...he shouldn't expect his new wife to pick up the tab. 

You don't understand how it's unfair to expect a childless woman to pay half on a mortgage for an asset for his kids? Really??!! While essentially preventing her from buying her own property? So she should just pay half of someone else's mortgage for decades and not see any benefit from it? 

Ridiculous. 

Rags's picture

Here comes my old guy traditional perspective. He is your DH, it is his  responsibility to provide housing, food, etc... for the family.  That said, in equity life partnerships, the incomes of the mates are "marital" income.  It all goes to paying the bills, retirement investments, etc, etc, etc.

When the whole yours, mine, and ours thing comes into play it can get complicated.  If I moved into a mate's home, why would I  pay for anything other than food, and contribute to elevated basic expenses?  The basic household expenses are covered and were covered before I was invited to move in.  If the couple moves into a joint home, that is an entirely different story. For damned sure I would not be contributing to the support of an asset that I was not an equity partner in regarding ownership.  In that case I am not a tenant, I am a resident and partner to the provider of the shelter. 

IMHO the way to go is to sell individual homes, or flip them into a rental property asset, and buy a joint home together.  The partner who owned the newly designated rental, retains that asset.

When my DW and I married we had nothing but my newly printed engineering degree, we married 4 mos after I graduated, two apartments full of college furniture, and one 8yo truck.  My brother and I owned a condo together which we sold when we graduated from college, we split the profits of that sale.   

Since then my DW and I have built our life, and assets, together.  So we never had the complexities to deal with that seem to be in play in so many blended family marriages.

relationshipguru's picture

Paying half is too much. Paying 1/4. That is fair. Damn these divorced people with kids are always after your wallet! There's never any doubt about that. As sure as the sun rises these divorced parents are always after our money.

bertieb's picture

and take out a life insurance policy on him for yourself. Just tell him since you are living in a house getting no equity or asset despite being MARRIED, you need to protect your future.