You are here

Family phone plan

Monsterchick87's picture

I just want to know your opinions on this topic. My boyfriend has a family phone plan with his 3 adult sons ages 18, 20 and 24. My boyfriend pays for the plan, which comes up to 142.00 a month for 4 lines. Yes, it's cheap but my boyfriend can't really afford it because he has bills and he's helping his youngest son with his college expenses. The other two sons work and there are times that my boyfriend just doesn't have the money so they interrupt their services. Sometimes his sons will make the payment but my boyfriend feels guilty. He still wants to pay for it even if he's tight with money and I personally think it's time that his sons pay for their own phones. I just hate to see my boyfriend struggle all the time financially. I tried to discuss this with him but he doesn't have the balls to tell his sons anything. Until what age will he support them? Especially if he's not saving for retirement and lives paycheck to paycheck?

Sometimes I feel tempted to speak with his sons and tell them about how my boyfriend struggles with money, but I don't know if it's my place to tell them anything. Speaking to my boyfriend doesn't help. I've tried opening his eyes but he prefers to continue like this rather than make his sons more financially independent. Is there a solution to this? Or will it continue forever?

Loxy's picture

I think it's reasonable to help (not fully support) but help with expenses when adult children are studying post high school but to do it when they are working is just plain wrong. I would not move in with this guy or join with him in any way as he's clearly creating adults that will be dependent on him for life. 

Thumper's picture

The two 20' somethings are free loading off of your boyfriend. 

Hope you are not living with him.  YOUR income helps support his free loading kids. 

Winterglow's picture

Isn't this the guy who moved in with her and then moved his son in and nearly got her evicted? Seems to me that he's the one who's freeloading...

TheAccidentalSM's picture

He is putting her financial future at risk.  

OP- Sorry if this comes across as very direct but my advice is coming from a place of worry for you.  I think you should leave this man.  He is going to continue to drain you financially.  Think if it this way, what if instead of subbing his expenses, you had been able to put the money into savings account.  How much would you have saved?  You could then invest the money or treat yourself.  But instead it has gone to his entitled, good for nothing offspring.

Monsterchick87's picture

But do you think I should tell his sons something? If I don't do it, my boyfriend never will and they will drain him financially. I will just point out that my boyfriend is tight financially and it wouldn't be bad if they help out

bertieb's picture

Ss27 makes more than I do and we still pay his cell phone. He just bought a new car, has his own place. He had several thousand dollars in his checking, we know because DH is still on his account. DH never mentions him getting off our account so I guess it will go on indefinitely. I feel like I'm being petty if I bring it up to DH so I just spent  on my DD when I want.

bertieb's picture

Ss27 makes more than I do and we still pay his cell phone. He just bought a new car, has his own place. He had several thousand dollars in his checking, we know because DH is still on his account. DH never mentions him getting off our account so I guess it will go on indefinitely. I feel like I'm being petty if I bring it up to DH so I just spent  on my DD when I want.

Rags's picture

Not a discussion IMHO.  Just inform SO that the adult spawn will be dropped from the plan effective at the beginning of the statement period.  

"We are changing from a family plan.  Effective MM/DD/YYYY you will have to port your number to a new plan. You can keep your current number regardless of which carrier or plan you choose."

Once kids reach launch age, their bills are their own. Or at least that should be the case.