You are here

DH's NICKNAME FOR HIS KIDS...."BABY"...

sad2012's picture

I need to ask...I am being immature on this issue....He calls me "Baby" all the time, but that is what he calls his kids too....S17, S13, D9....is that weird?? The other night his kids were here DH was in the kitchen with his D9 and I was in the livingroom...he says, "Baby are you hungry?"...I responded not realizing he was talking to his D9...who awkward that was!! I have mentioned this in the past to him, but he makes light of it and I feel he is not taking he seriously of how this makes we feel...I told him when the kids are here call me by my given name...so now he exaggerates my name when speaking to me...UGH!!

Really calling your almost 18 yr old son Baby?? He treats them all like one too!! O yes it is "Mommy" and "Daddy" too....and they are not from the south

"I fell in love with you, not your kids"

momsome's picture

why dont you sit down with him and seriously talk to him about this and how it makes you feel no matter how he see's it I truly think you should show him and explain to him that it really bothers you (make sure and not do it in front of the kids) no to mention. No matter if he feels its immature or not I could see how this would kind of make you either feel like he sees you as one of his kids or just that there is no separation between you and the kids. Its not to much to ask I dont feel!!!!

sad2012's picture

And not only does he call them "Baby" when texting with them he calls them "baby"..."how was school today baby?"...."I will see you soon Baby"....."Good night Baby".....Gag me with a spoon!!!!!!

Starla's picture

Guys are not using the right head when they call their children and wife by the SAME nicknames!!!

I hope that you can put an end to that.

c-mom's picture

Ok, I call all children baby. Even ones I just met. BUT!!! I am a woman and... I am from the South. LOL Soooooo...... Yeah, it is a little odd for him to give you all the same pet name.

jumanji's picture

He shouldn't be calling you the same nickname as he calls his kids. BUT... I call my daughter (18) Baby Girl. I call my son (21) Babe. Among other endearments for each.

oldone's picture

I'm in New Orleans this weekend (superbowl weekend) and everyone here calls everyone baby.

jumanji's picture

I'm not Southern. I still call my kids those kinds of endearments. OP needs to find something else to call his wife. He's being lazy, is all.

oncechoosetosmile's picture

I have to tell you this! Calling SD 8 constantly nicknames like "Baby" or "Babe" drove me slowly insane since SO called me the same ones .I started getting so upset, especially since he used it after every single sentence with that child who anyway believed she was his mini wife and has adult status.
For a while I tried to bottle it all up , being concerned to sound jealous or petty.But when I came here and looked at other families where the DH's and SO's did the same with their daughters it was like an eye opener and I decided it is NOt ok and NOT alright for SO to speak to both of us the same way.Especially because of the issues we had with the girl in the past.
I finally brought it up because it started irritating me so much and seemed so out of proportion.Although he didn't have an issue with calling her those names he understood my point and changed it.It didn't come overnight and he did it a few times accidentally but he really tried to help me through this .Now I am babe or baby and she is usually darling.Better!!!

sterlingsilver's picture

Start calling him babe or baby all the time. I've never heard of a man calling his kids the same thing as his wife. My ex called me hon all the time and now I cannot stand it when my dh calls me that and he only does that to get a reaction. I stopped reacting and he stopped calling me that but for awhile it grated on my nerves. Now he calls me cracker b/c he says I crack him up all the time with my jokes. He says you are my cracker. At first it bugged me b/c he called his ex gf princess and boy did that get my hackles up but that's another story and another counseling session!!!! HAHA

Seriously tho, you two should come up with your own nick name.

christinen's picture

My DH does the same thing- calls SD and I the same names- baby, babe, honey, etc. I never know if he is talking to me or her. It's kind of a natural reaction to think he is talking to me when he says baby but sometimes I realize he is talking to her. I agree with you, it is weird.

scarpetta's picture

I can honestly say that when my husband calls my SD's baby, just like he does with me, it irks me beyond belief! Since I don't like either one of them, I don't want to grouped in with them. That was his special pet name for me, but it's been ruined because he calls them that too.  The first time I mentioned that I didn't want him to call me baby if he was going to call them that too, he got mad and stopped being affectionate with me for months. Well, two can play that game. Once he decided to start trying to be affectionate with me again, I wouldn't let him touch me. I told him that until you stop calling your daughters baby, I will not let you touch me.