You are here

BM up in my personal space

NobodyMom's picture

DH, both stepsons, myself and BM together for oldest stepson (SS18) HS graduation night.  BM in town for 2 days to spend time with her son.  DH has full custody and BM lives out of state and only sees them a few days a year (her choice) while contributing ZERO to her sons financially.  I had no problem with my feelings towards her until she started causing problems for us in many ways, but still remained friendly towards her.  She was friendly for the first year or so, then suddenly she had a problem with me, so I just ignore her now unless she speaks to me first (easy to do since I only saw her once in the last 2 years).

So for grad night I sucked it up for a few hours so youngest SS16 could spend the evening with both his parents watching his older brother graduate.  Other than that night, DH and myself went out of our way to ensure she had as much time alone with her sons as possible.  The majority of grad night she talked LOUDLY and one upped me on everyting I said. (We are both in our 40s!).  I would ignore her every time while remaining casually friendly to her the whole evening. 

But what really got to me is why the hell was she following me around, constantly invading my personal space, and peeping around DH to watch me whenever I was able to put him between the both of us?   She would always just keep standing RIGHT next to me wherever I was and run her mouth obnoxiously.  Then walking so closely behind me I could practially feel her breath on the back of my neck. Something about that reminded me when people try to make themselves appear threatening by stepping up in someones face.  She of course remained sickly sweet in front her sons while practically standing on top of me most of the evening.

I was surprised at the primal response I felt - I went on guard prepareing to fight her any moment (it just came up as a natural reaction). I had wanted to have a pleasant, relaxing evening but her physical behavior made me want to knock her out-LOL.    Has anyone ever had a BM do something like that?  It was just so childish and weird...and it felt like she was trying to be threatening (which made me even angrier that she was acting that way at her son's graduation).  I had begun to wonder if she had been coached by her harpy friends or boyfriend to act like that thinking she could get under my skin, or if she is just an insecure, petty, absent mother?

queensway's picture

She sounds creepy to me. I know a few people that when they talk to me they get way to close to my face. I hate that. I always take a step back but it seems then while they are talking they move forward. So I move back again. I do not like people getting so close that it just feels to weird. She may be one of these kind of talkers. But she does sound like she may have some insecurities.

NobodyMom's picture

that someone who doesn't like me, would want to be on top of me like that.  Especially since she never did anything like that before.  yeah, maybe it was a little of both your suggestions.

momjeans's picture

You’re a bigger person than me.

If BM did this to me, I would have spun around and told her firmly, and under my breath through gritted teeth, to back TF up, given the fact she only graces her sons, myself, and DH’s presence a few days A YEAR. 

Seriously. Golden uterus much, BM? 

NobodyMom's picture

I kept quiet for step sons sake so he would enjoy his whopping 2 days a year with her (he was by her side all night).  I got a little bit of the "I was here first" vibe from her and she seeming to be trying to pee all over her territory like a dog.

momjeans's picture

Ugh. Just ugh. Kudos to you for subjecting yourself to it and sticking the 48-72 hours out with her shenanigans. 

momjeans's picture

And in regards to her speaking loudly - I would probably have combated that by rolling my eyes and placing my hand close to my mouth while mouthing “She’s off her meds...”

momjeans's picture

Good for you. People catch on, super quick, who’s the REAL arse in situations like this, but it’s still super frustrating and tiring I imagine. 

NobodyMom's picture

Yes I felt quite drained the next day.  Hopefully I won't see her again until the youngest graduates.  I will be better prepared for that one! 

Kes's picture

I didn't attend SD23's university graduation because it would have meant being in NPD BM's company for like half a day.  I just would have lost the will to live.  

Personally, if I had been you in this situation, after the first couple of times I would have said "look, would you mind NOT getting in my personal space because it makes me uncomfortable?"   If she had persisted I would have put out my arm and physically moved her away - not aggressively, but firmly.  But then I just don't care these days.  Now that I'm a grumpy old woman of 60 I don't take no sh1t from anyone.  

NobodyMom's picture

I really wanted to say something to her, but I had this weird feeling she was trying to get to me.  So if I said something, she would turn it around to make me look bad in front of her son like she was only trying to get close to me because she wanted to know me better or something like that.