You are here

Over-stimulated!!

twhite19's picture

Hi Everyone,

I'm so happy to have found this community.  Sorry for the long post. I have a 22 year old stepson with Down Syndrome who lives full-time with us.  His mother was an addict and was periodically in and out of his life.  I have been a part of raising him since he was 6.  I say "a part" because of course I was limited on some of the ways I thought he should be raised or handled.  That ultimate decision was my husbands and rightly so.  This was a big issue for many years as I felt that he was "disabling" his disabled son.  I let go of trying to control and just started respecting his decision whether I agreed or not.  It is his son and he is the ultimate one responsible for him.  This has helped me for many years; however, the original issues I worried about have officially come true.  Although he is a very happy kid, he is a loner, cannot wipe himself or do any type of self care and he's 5' and weighs 200+ lbs.  He gets upset when our adult children and our grandchildren come over.  He constantly asks if they're going home.  Once COVID hit we had to take him out of school and I started working from home.  When things started getting back to normal, I had to go back into the office.  The problem was that my stepson aged out of school and couldn't go back.  He's been on waiting lists with HHS since he was little and we tried finding a sitter for him.  We couldn't find anyone and so I had to take him to work with me.  This brought on so much stress trying to deal with him all day, keep him quite, and get my work done.  He has issues with depth perception and will not go up or down stairs.  My office is on the 3rd floor with only one elevator in the building that would quit working at least once a week and sometime be down for days.  So I would drive an hour to work only to have to turn around and come back home.  There was the issue of taking him into the women's bathroom that became a problem when the building took on a balley studio and marshal arts studio for kids.  I could not take a grown man in the bathroom with those little girls dressing, etc.  This took a toll on my health and at my last neurology checkup she told me I could no longer take him to work as I was on the verge of an emotional breakdown.  I went home and told my husband that and within a week he found a sitter.  The problem was that she wanted 2K per month (so did the other people that we interviewed).  We were able to do it about 6 weeks before we ran out of money.  Yes.  He does get SSI but it's very little. Because my husband makes a lot more than me, we decided that I needed to work from home.  I spoke with my boss and she agreed.  That being said, I am still with him 24/7.  From the first day that I met my husband he's always said that putting him in a group home is something that he would never do so that is something that is completely off the table.  Since I've known this from the beginning I would never even bring it up.  He would definitely tell me where to go :).  My husband is a constant worrier when it comes to my step son.  

My issues are that from sun up to sun down I am being constantly over-stimulated with his noises, yelling, self talk and the responsibilities that go along with taking care of him and trying to work during the day.  Right now he is in his room screaming (happy screams not sad or afraid) When my husband comes home, he mostly takes over.  My husband has issues with throat clearing and hawking up stuff from his throat (he calls them tiks) on a constant basis.  He has a very deep voice and when he does this it's like a screeching in my ears and makes them vibrate.  I get NOOO quiet time.  I am a complete introvert and need time to recharge but can't ever get that time.  Our whole life is centered around my stepson and what he wants to do and where he wants to go, etc.  My husband and I spend no time working on our marriage.  We have no marriage.  It's like having a roommate not a husband.  I've expressed this to him and things will change for maybe a few weeks but goes right back to where we are.  I trully believe my husband is happy with life being this way.  I'm lonely, over-stimulated, bored, feel used, exhausted and want to start experiencing life instead of feeling like I'm living to die. Please do not get me wrong.  My husband is a good man and great father and grandfather and my stepson is a good kid.  This is not where I saw myself at my age.  When my husband and I first met, I told him that after raising kids I wanted to vacation in different places in the world, take hiking trips, etc.  He felt the same.  I knew, when I married him, that our marriage would not be like any other and I have never compared it to anyone.  I knew the problems that would arise; however, I did not know that my husband would want life to be this way...all three of us stuck at the hip at all times.  This has taken time away from my own adult children and grandchildren.  Put a fork in me, I'm done....how do you leave someone you love but are not happy with and that home life with them is killing you.  I feel like such a failure and the guilt can be overwhelming.  Yes.  We've been to therapy several times in our 17 years together.  It does not work for us.  Any thoughts, good or bad, is much appreciated. 

Winterglow's picture

You say that your husband disables his son....and you are probably right. People with Down Syndrome NEED stimulation to develop. You can never know what they are capable of until you give them challenges. Did he never research the subject?

Ok,  I have a daughter who has Down Syndrome and although she isn't book smart she sure as heck is street smart . Has your husband always tried to keep his son at home? If he did he was doing him a huge disservice. Like all of us, his son needs to meet people,be out in the outside world, have friends, live his life. He is a human being who needs to live..  not be stuck in a home that is a cage for him 

I realize that I'm judging based on very little evidence so please forgive me that 

Why won't he let his son go into a group home? It's not as if they are institutions.... I'm not actually sure whether they are the same as "foyers" here -  they are structures with activities organized and people whose job it is to set up daily routines that help the people living there to grow and blossom. They are not jails. My daughter can hardly wait to get a place in one of them because she wants to have an independent life,she wants to live for herself. Why doesn't your husband want that for his son?

Winterglow's picture

This is an awful question but.... does your husband keep his son at home because he's ashamed of him? Because he sees him as a reflection on himself? Because he sees him as his personal failure? 

twhite19's picture

Hi Winterglow,  thank you for responding.  It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job with your daughter.  I have a 50 year old cousin with Downs and his mom treated him exactly like her other children.  Although he is unable to live by himself he is very independent, has his own part of the house, has friends, etc.  You definitely are not judging.  If anything, you're speaking from experience and I appreciate that more than anything.  My husband thinks these homes are too full of abuse and will not even broach the subject.  He is also very proud of him and is not embarrassed at all.  He actually adopted him from his ex because she was an addict and couldn't take care of him so he's had him since birth.  Thank you so much for responding!

Evil4's picture

My uncle is 67 and has Down Syndrome. He is older, so education for folks with Down Syndrome may have changed, I don't know, but my uncle when to a seperate school back in the day. They didn't integrate Down kiddos back then. My uncle was raised to function for himself as much as he could as my grandparents knew my uncle would outlive them. I'm on the west coast but when I fly to Ontario to visit my uncle, he is living his best retired life. He graduated from his school and got the grade 10 that he was supposed to get at that time, got a job at a well-known thrifting organization in Toronto and met his best friend at 15. They worked together part time at first, then full time starting at 16. they retired at 65. They are best friends to this day and both are 67. My uncle was taught basic banking skills and budgeting by my grandparents. They had him buy his condo way back so that he'd have a home when my grandparents passed. My uncle does his own laundry, grocery shopping, cooking including having nice meals waiting for me when I arrive. He was even gifted a poodle puppy and raised her and took care of her for 22 years until she passed of old age. She was the most well cared-for dog I had ever seen. My uncle made verterinary appointments on his own and knew when it was appropriate to take "Dumpling" to the vet.

My uncle went to the doctor, made his own appointments, went to the dentist. When he was diagnosed with high cholesterol, he made the decision to eat healthfully rather than take pills and he lost over 80 pounds. He walked a lot and to lose weight and did some organized walks for charity, one of them being for Down Syndrome.

So, this goes to show you how well a Down Syndrome person can do when they are raised in preparation of functioning on their own. My uncle has done way better than most of the assholes in our family LOL.  My grandparents saw no reason at all why my uncle couldn't shower, learn to cook, etc. My uncle had been on his own for 40 years now. My family is f*cked and extremely dysfunctional, so my grandparents knew that my uncle would not have other family members look out for him. I'm the only one who visits him and I don't live in the same province as him. His BFF is like another uncle to me. BFF is the same. He's had his own apartment for decades and raises budgies. 

I'm super proud of my uncle not just because of what he can do, but because he did not turn out like the rest of my insane dysfunctional family. LOL He's awesome!

twhite19's picture

HI Evil4, your reply has warmed my heart and also cracked me up! *ROFL*  Thank you for that!

Rags's picture

Your uncle is a rockstar.

He also has a rockstar niece.

Give rose

Your GPs are absolutely proof of how much, in comparison to your GPs, parents have devolved to be POS morons in far too many cases. Far too many are parental failures in raising children that there are no excuses for their crap behaviors and outcomes.

Your GPs raised a son to be a viable self sufficient adult. A son who has a true special need.

Just WOW!!!!

You should be so proud of the GPs and  your Uncle.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

There is no way that you should be responsible for a 22 year old man in the bathroom. Why doesn't your DH take his son to work with him? Nothing about this situation is fair to you. Find the posts of JustMakingTheBest - her SS has Downs and she is very involved in his care - but in fair manner. Your DH is totally taking advantage of you.

twhite19's picture

Thank you.  I will definitly look for her posts and although I know my husband loves and appreciates me I do feel taken advantage of. 

notarelative's picture

Your husband is doing his child a disservice. What does DH think will happen if his son out lives him? DS has Downs. He may be disabled, but he should not be spending his time at home. He needs interaction with others.

There are parent groups here. The local one runs social groups for those with Downs. Does DH go to a parent group? Does DS have interaction with his peers?

Taking him out of school would have been a mistake here. Here when someone ages out of school services, they point the family to available community services.

Now is the time to investigate group homes. Now is the time to find one that is a good fit for him.

You have a DH problem, not a SS problem. 

twhite19's picture

Hello, you are absolutely right.  I've told him this exact thing many many times throughout our marriage.  My SS has a sister and he's told her that she will have to take him (I had a talk with him last night and let him know I can't do it).  The only stimulation my SS gets is when we take him to the movies every other weekend and go out to lunch on Saturdays.  He gets very little interaction with people.  One reason I hate working from home is because I get to see how he just sits in his room all day interacting with himself and eating.  It breaks my heart.  My husband will never consider a group home.  In fact, if he's uncomfortable anywhere he won't make him go or stay.  Many years ago we looked into a place for special needs that we could have taken him on Saturdays for a few hours but it was too stressful on my husband to leave him anywhere.  My husband becomes frozen when it comes to my SS being any place without either of us.

SteppedOut's picture

Seriously, shame on your husband for stealing your life like this. 

Good Lord. How? I would be ANGRY if I was you. This situation seems much worse than it should be, thanks to the way your husband has raised his kid. He literally made the issue worse and then foists most of the responsibility on you (no authority to make real decisions that would have helped tho!). 

How do you leave? I'm wondering how the hell you STAY? 

twhite19's picture

Hi SteppedOut, you're right I shouldn't feel guilty and I'm getting there.  Yes.  I am angry at both him and myself.  If I had known that it would be the way it is, I would have left a long time ago and stayed gone.  All I think about is leaving and I know myself enough that it will eventually happen.  I know I shouldn't wait too long.  I love them both.  I thought about just getting my own place and seeing them on the weekends.  LOL! 

Rags's picture

this man and his ill raised special needs son.

Stop that.

It is time for you to inform your DH that your life now comes first. His special needs adult son needs to be in an environment where he is held accountable and works with others who are going to have to have a special needs life.

QUit fearing some comment your DH made many years ago and inform him that his son must be transitioned to a group home where he can be part of a dynamic communty rather than allowed to crap his drawers and have you wipe his ass.  He needs to be supervised by professionals rather than a coddling daddy and SM.

Take care of yourself..... for a change.

smh.

Nea

twhite19's picture

Hi Rags, thank you for your support!  I am already in the process of putting myself first as this stress is definitly killing me.  Although he doesn't crap his drawers, he cannot wipe himself (without getting it EVERYWHERE) and therefore, I have to do it for him when my husband isn't around.  My husband will never consider putting him in a group home.  He feels there's just too much abuse going on in them and he's afraid of the caretakers being mean to him and have no patience, etc.  A few thoughts I've had to try and get some peace that I've been mulling over. I thought about telling him that I want my SS to move into our room so that I can have my own room.  It would give me a place to go to try and recharge.  I also thought about getting my own place and just seeing them on the weekends or just leave and be done.  I love them both very much but something has got to give and I'm at the point of knowing this. Just trying to get my ducks in a row.  Thank you again for responding.  It has validated my feelings! Smile

ESMOD's picture

You have gotten some good advice here.

Of course this should not all be falling on you!  And while I get the financial side of things there still should be a better option.. and his son deserves a better and more enriched life than you can give him at home.

As others have said.. a group home isn't jail.. it is actually an opportunity and eventually a necessity.  Unless your SS has other medical issues that make the likelihood of him living a long life (longer than your husband) unlikely.. his son is going to have a very difficult time surviving if your husband hasn't laid the groundwork with him to live independently of your household.

This is incredibly unfair for you to basically bear this burden almost all alone.  

I would tell your husband that you need to return to your office.. alone.  That he needs to figure out plans for his son.  Whether he gets a 2nd job to pay for the daycare.. whether he gets him enrolled in some program.. whether he gets him accepted to a group home.. something has to give.. maybe HE could ask to work from home?

twhite19's picture

Hi ESMOD, Thank you for responding.  You're right my SS deserves a positive stimulating life.  It is unfortunate that I don't have any control of that.  When we talked about paying for a sitter he said that he would get a second job.  That won't work for me as that would put the responsibility of watchin my SS during that time.  I wish he could work from home but it's not an option from his employer.  I'm afraid he's not going to budge on anything and I may just have to part ways which is sad because I love them both.  But this life I'm living isn't sustainable.  I've got to make the change.

Harry's picture

It's his problem now.   You must find place for him to live.  It's will have to be done at sometime.  Are you going to br 80  yo old and still take care of SS.  You are giving up your total  life for what.    Face facts. Jud has to go 

twhite19's picture

Hi Harry, I agree it should be just his problem and I'm getting to a place of letting it be.  My SS will be going to live with his sister if something happens to my husband.  I don't plan on being 80 and living like I am today.  Being on this forum for such a short time has already helped and encouraged me to move forward.  I do appreciate your reply!

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Rags stated you're killing yourself, and I wouldn't be surprised if the stress IS taking years off your life. He also correctly pointed out that you're martyring yourself - why are you, an unrelated adult, the one making all the sacrifices here? It's simply not sustainable. Why are you living a life you never wanted? What would your H do with the son he's crippled if you weren't around? 

Please, PLEASE get off this crazy merry go round. Make an appointment with your doctor; get a thorough physical and tell him/her what's going on. Then, tell your H your doctor has warned you're at risk of heart attack/stroke/whatever; that you're sorry but he'll have to make other arrangements for SS because your health is at risk. Give him the number for Social Services, and DISENGAGE.

I know you love SS, but right now you're part of the problem because he needs more than you can give him. BOTH you and SS are being damaged by the current dynamic, while conveniently your H gets a break while at work. You've lost yourself in service to your H's misguided beliefs about what's best for his Downie son, but you're also the lynchpin the dynamic rests on. If you find your strength and insist on change, your H will be compelled to do something.

Please draw a boundary and save yourself before your health breaks down completely.

twhite19's picture

Hello!  You're right.  I do matter and the stress is killing me.  I do have an appointment with my neurologist on Friday.  She was the one that told me to go home and tell my husband that I couldn't take my SS to work anymore because the stress was wrecking havoc on my health.  You also ask great questions.  I never thought of myself as a martyr but now that it's been pointed out, I can see that. I let go of any control years ago to keep the peace between my husband and I.  I had no idea I would end up here, living like this.  He definitly needs more than I can give him.  I never thought about me being part of the problem. You're right, though.  Great point!  "You've lost yourself in service to your H's misguided beliefs about what's best for his Downie son, but you're the lynchpin the dynamic rests on." I am going to write this down and read it every day.  I can't tell you how much courage you've given me to make a change that I know needs to happen.  Thank you so very much!

Rumplestiltskin's picture

It's nice that your DH wants to protect SS from abuse, and i'm sure he feels like a saint for adopting him in the first place. What a hero your DH gets to feel like! But....your DH isn't the one doing the majority of the caretaking. That's what he has you for! And you do it while also working?! So, SD gets to "take" him when your husband dies, but as long as your husband lives, you have to do it?! No. Just, no. I hate to recommend ultimatums but if your DH doesn't find either a group home or at the very least some type of adult daycare combined with hired help maybe part-time, you should walk. No way should you be doing this until your husband dies and releases you from your burden. 

twhite19's picture

Hi Rumplestiltskin,  thank you.  I appreciate your forwardness and I agree with everthing you said.  I know the group home is already a subject that he won't listen to.  I do wish he would.  I've received wonderful advice here and plan on making a change sooner than later.  I appreciate your words of encouragement!

SteppedOut's picture

If you leave him, what exactly will he be able to do? Seriously? 

Is he in a position to retire and take care of his son full time? Will he try to "make" his daughter give up her life to provide care? And honestly how dare he "tell" his daughter she will "have to" take him in when he passes? It was not her decision to have a child or stunt a human so much that they are incapable of basic care (butt wiping". 

Out of curiosity, what was the daughter's response to that? Is she married? Decisions such as that will affect her spouse as well. 

I am mad for everyone involved (including poor stunted ss) - except your husband, of course. 

Is he a narcissist?

twhite19's picture

Hi SteppedOut, thank you for replying. :)  If I leave, he will probably re-hire the lady that was watching him a few months ago who charges $2K a month.  Leaving would force us to sell our home which would pay off most bills and therefore, he could afford a sitter.  Honestly, knowing my SD, she will find a group home for him and put him there when the time comes.  She is married to her childhood sweetheart who has know my SS from birth and they both have 3 children with a very busy life.  She lets my husband know how she feels about him not being made to do things he should be able to.  I know that what my husband is doing is very selfish but he truly doesn't intend to be.  His heart is just too soft to make my SS do anything that he might balk at.  He definitly has mis-guided love.  My husband would live the rest of his life being a martyr for my SS.  I've known this from the beginning so it's no surprise to me.  It's unfortunate that it's coming to a head.  I love them both so dearly.  Between my husband and I we have 5 grown children and 7 grandchildren so it's hard knowing that me leaving will hurt them.  I do know that they will get over it though.  Thank you again for your reply.  I appreciate it!

Winterglow's picture

Your husband is actually compounding his son's disability by not allowing him to develop. He needs stimulation, he needs company, he needs a life ... and he's not going to get that by sitting at home and twiddling his thumbs/watching TV. 

Seriously, your husband needs to actually research these homes - we are no longer in the 19th century. Where I live (and I imagine in most countries), they are staffed by highly qualified personnel who chose to study for and do this type of work. There are all sorts of activities organized (sports, theatre, etc.) and the people living there are being stimulated all day with down time happening only after 4.30 pm.  Really, your husband needs to educate himself. Also, in this world of social media, if there's a not-so-good place, it's fairly easy to find out. 

My thoughts are that your husband is being purely selfish and only thinking of himself by keeping his son at home. He is not advocating for his son's well-being.

As for what happens to him after your husband dies ... why isn't he working on a real solution for him? Has he ever contacted anyone about help and information on the subject? Maybe https://www.ds-int.org/ or https://ndss.org/ for a starting point?

My daughter has a sister too - they are twins. We have made it clear forever that she is not and will not be responsible for her sister. She has her own life to live (she's turning out to be a bit of a globe-trotter!). This is why we are doing all we can to make sure they are both happy, and lead the lives they want to. It is vital for both of them. So now we are waiting for a place in the "foyer" (there are not nearly enough of them) that my daughter prefers of the two she is currently testing (and therein lies the proble, they are two very different places and she loves both of them!).

Enough of my lecturing ... Smile

Winterglow's picture

My daughter got a place three weeks ago. The first weekend, she came home. Last weekend they went swimming and to a theme park. Tomorrow is Bastille Day so this evening, they'll be going to the Firemen's Ball (traditional for 13th July) and tomorrow they will probably go dancing again and then watch the firework display. On Sunday, it's a trip to the movies. I've heard she's signed up to go canoeing down the Verdon Gorges in the near future. How bad does that sound? Please shake your DH up, OP. His son could have another life entirely ... and so could you.

twhite19's picture

Hi Winterglow,  I don't feel like you're lecturing and I completely agree with what you are saying.  It is unfortunate that looking at a group home for him will never happen.  I know that if something happened to my husband my SD would find a group home for him.  She's frustrated with her father regarding my SS not being more independent when he could have been.  She will never tell him that's what she's doing, but I know she will.  I think it's wonderful your daughter is excited about the places she may go.  That is very heartwarming.  Thank you for your reply and thank you for the two websites.  I will definitley look them up :).

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

I know I'm a bit late to the game but  Ihad to chime in. I am a social worker in the developmental disabilities field and I see this more often than need be. Parents keep their "disabled" children at home well into adulthood, they keep them "safe," they don't get them involved in programs that could help them grow and develop and be happy. Then something happens to the parents. They age, they get sick, they go into nursing homes, what have you. And that family member that was "supposed" to take i nthe disabled child? They can't. Or they won't. 

What happend then? The state steps in. The disabled adult is placed in a home- any home- on an emergency basis. It's supposed to be temporary until a more appropraite placement is found but in most states, these homesa are few and far between and the waiting lists extend YEARS. Suddenly, the disabled individual is thrust from their home, their, family, into a strange environment. They act out. And can you blame them? 

Your husband NEEDS to get his ducks in a row for his son now. This young man is 22- he's at the age where everyone, disabled or not, wants to be independent, make friends, get involved in activities, and learn meaningful skills whether they be work skills, volunterring, or just helping to take care of one's home. I know you say your DH won't budge, but maybe you can present him with research and facts? Reach out to a local community agency that oversees these group homes and talk ot someone, have them take you on a tour of various homes and programs. It will probably be eye-opening. Services have come a long, long way from the days of institutions! And because it can take years, he needs to get your SS certified/eligible for services and on wait lists for day programs and alternate living arrangements. 

I've seen so many people BLOSSOM by making friends, learning independence, getting a job i ntheir community and making their own money, and your SS deserves that too! 

Is there abuse in some of these places? Yes, it's in any congregate setting- schools, daycares, even churches. But it's not nearly as rampant as we're led to believe. It's the bad news that gets reported, not the good news. And the good news is, there are some highly compassionate, dedicated professionals in the field whose mission is to truly help people be their best. And services are more family-oriented than ever. Living in a group home doesn't mean your SS can't come home every weekend if that what you and your husband want, and on holidays, and whenever. In fact, family connections are encouraged!

I hope your husband can get some clarity. If he really loves his son, and I know he does, it's obvious, he'll help him to live the best possible life he can. 

Blessings to all of you. You sound like such a kind and genuine SM and person!  <3

Survivingstephell's picture

The more he can do, the better situation/ home that will take him.  His daughter might have trouble finding a place.  If anyone needs to speak up it's her.  She needs to put the fear of God in DH that SS will end up in a dump because of the lack of life skills.  

Harry's picture

When DH gets to old to take care of his DS.  Or has his own health issues.  This kid will have to go into a group home.  Since this is what's going to happen in the future.  Do it now.  Get SS in a group home,  you live your life now 

Rags's picture

My GM had Multiple Infarctic Dimentia.  When my GrandDad died my dad set up an agreement with his cousin and the cousin's wife that GM could stay in her home. THe cousin and his wife, who was a registered elder care provider, moved in with my GM. The agreement was that if GM could remain in her own home until full residential facility care was required dad would give the home/property (15acres) to the cousin.

That did not work out. The wife basically did shit for nothing for my GM. So, we brought GM to our location, dad sold the house/property to the cousin.

GM went into a very nice small residential care home.  It was designed for 6 residents with a 24/7 care giver.  It was nice for about 6mos then we got a call from the owner. We had a few days to get my GM a new residence. The facility had been sued for labor violations. The residential care providers stayed on site. They had their own room.  They sued to be paid 24/7 while on site instead of 4/10s one week and 3/10s the next week.  To eleminate any risk, the owners shut it down.

My GM was very stoic. My memories of her were of a statuesque very proper lady who would read almost constantly, watch her "shows", loved her dogs, and she and GrandDad had a routine that they lived together seemingly happily.

Then we found Sterling House. A full service lock in facility, that was basically a cruise ship in a parking lot. My GM blossomed in that environment. They had social events regularly, each resident had an "apartment", there was a beauty shop, a "restaurant", gardening boxes, a house dog, a house cat, movie night, dances, beauty pagents, church services, music and theater performers would volunteer to do shows, the local HS had a volunteer program for students to visit, read, etc, etc, etc...

It was remarkably reasonably priced. Her monthly Social Security and Medicare/retirement medical insurance covered most of it. The remaining investment resources was enough to cover the remainder of the monthly costs at that facility. We invested and managed her funds to keep her in that facility for the remainder of her life.  It was an age in place facility providing end of life care as the retirees came to the end.  We could have kept her there with her assets in addition to her SSI/etc... benefits for ~15 years.  She ended up being there for nearly 6. She passed just short of her 85th B-day. Our whole family has great memories of my GrandGranny, her life there, and our regular visits with her and her visits with us for the Holidays.

At her final resicence, my stoic GM turned into a vibrant, beamingly happy, active social butterfly. She won Miss Congeniality in the pageant one year, she was a dancing tornado at the parties, she would go for walks and visit her neighbors, stop in for coffee, they would visit her, a number of the residents would go on dates to the "restaurant" and the movie "theater". 

The facility was specifically designed for memory impaired residents.   Picture a squared off figure 8 configuration with apartments around the main hallways. Coded access and egrees doors to prevent wandering residents grom getting lost. They could wander and meander to their hearts content and always end up back at their own apartment or in the common areas.  The spaces in the center of both sections of the figure 8 were where the gardening boxes were for the residents, where there were out door bistro tables that residents could read, have drinks and snacks,, and where the climate controlled dog and cat rooms opened to the out doors. The pets each had a visiting room where residents could go in to play with and love on the dog or cat.

The moral of the story, regarless of how much love and care a person  requiring care may have in their home, and how comfortable and nice the home and family my provide, it may not be the place that is the best for the family member requiring care. The right place can be a major game changer for their quality fo life and give their loved ones a huge improvment in peace of mind.  My DW and I live away from both of our families.  That my brother and my niece live near my aging parents and they are able to continue to live their best lives as they progress through their retirement is a huge relief for me and to my DW. 

That my MIL lives very near my BIL1 and his family, BIL2 and his family, and SIL and her family, as well as to my wife's aunt (MIL's sister), is a huge relief to my wife and to me.

Caring for a family member who needs care has to be a balance between the quality of life for the one needing care, and the quality of life for those family members providing that care.

DH needs to not only keep his special needs son's needs in mind, he has to take care of himself, and of you.

stepmom444's picture

Hi twhite19, how are you and how are you coping? I feel for you because I have a kind of similar situation with my ss21, but nowhere the amount of care you put in..I hope you are okay