You are here

Fighting on birthdays

Happystepmom's picture

I may post this in the general parenting section as well, but I'm wondering how to handle my sons at their birthday parties. My SS6 has ADHD so he is impulsive and has emotional outbursts whenever my BS3 has a birthday and receives gifts. Last year he would take my sons presents as soon as he got them and play with them which made my son cry and so eventually, since he couldn't share or let my son play with his new gifts without interrupting, I sent him upstairs wailing and screaming which was embarrassing in front of our party guests. 

When SS had his bday party over the summer my son had the same issue of wanting to play with SS's new toys so I had to keep him back and he was crying so eventually I took him out of the room while SS got to play with all his new bday gifts and tried to explain why he couldn't play with the new toys right now. It was just easier to keep the boys separated because SS was rubbing it all in BS's face going "haha these are MY toys" and whooping and hollering while playing with them and not sharing. Later that night I told SS that is fine- that when BS has HIS bday he wouldn't be able to play with his bday toys, either.

So now BS is having a bday in 2 weeks and SS is already jealous and asking for gifts of his own. I've been reminding him that on BS's bday he won't be able to play with BS's new toys that day unless he decides to share them and that he will get new toys at Christmas. I'm already dreading the bday party.

How do I handle the party with BS opening new gifts- all toys that I know SS will want and will throw a massive fit over- I'm talking screaming and lying on the floor kicking and crying. How do parents handle small children during these events? I don't think it's fair to make BS share his brand new bday toys right away on his bday- SS always breaks every toy they get. He's so destructive. What should I do?

hereiam's picture

If SS cannot behave, he either doesn't attend the party or his dad will need to do what you did with your BS, and take SS out of the room.

ESMOD's picture

I posted on the other forum topic too.. but just in case you don't check there.. 

When my younger brother and I were pretty young.. we would get an "unbirthday" present.. which was to help soften the hurt of watching the birthday child get lots of things.  

But along with that.. the older boy needs to be better prepared going into these things.. and given his expected behaviors in advance.. he is 6..obv won't be perfect.. but set rules for him.. and have an adult monitor those rules (an aunt.. or your DH.. MIL.. someone).. Birthday child gets to open and play with gifts first..etc.. 

OR.. you could change things up.. where the child doesn't open presents at the party.. and does it later with a much smaller audience.. where it is not as overwhelming for either child.