You are here

Step son won’t shower

Disengageme's picture

I finally made an account and it feels so good to get to vent and let this out. My ss11 comes to our home sometimes after not visiting for a month and has the same clothes on and it's obvious he's not bathed during that time. I am worried about my babies health. Little backstory my hubby and I had a baby boy two months ago. Since then ss has came by less and less. He intentionally bangs doors, slams the toilet seat, and just anything he can do to wake the baby. I know I'm all over the place with this lol but I am just so overwhelmed. I try to leave when he comes but it's always a big fight with my hubby and I. But if I stay he gets hateful because he says I'm cold towards his child. It was bc I refused to give him medicine. I will not do that bc I'm not gonna be responsible if he has an adverse reaction. He was throwing up all night and instead of taking him to his mother my hubby let him stay. I tried to tell him, we have a newborn and I don't want to put his health at risk, he could have COVID-19 and may need medical attention. My hubby has no parental rights whatsoever. They were terminated so we couldn't take him anyways. The bm is basically worthless. She lives in a one room building next to the home ss lives in with her elderly parents. She doesn't make sure he's clean. She's repeatedly left him on our doorstep at all hours. As late as midnight. Last time was two days before my c section. We had a talk with ss about coming so late and since he's acted like he has to make an appointment to see his dad. It was just not appropriate. She literally will drop him off and leave before seeing if we're home. Thank you to whoever takes the time to read this crazy jumbled up mess. Lol. 

Kes's picture

You basically have two problems, primarily your husband and to a lesser extent the BM.   Having a newborn is an emotional time even when things are stable - and you are coping with lots of stress.  Your DH needs to understand the importance of basic rules and hygiene for his son - if not the boy will grow up smelly and unlikeable and with no friends.  Does DH want that for his son?  What do you mean when you say DH's parental rights were terminated? Sorry - I'm in England so things are probably different there. 

Winterglow's picture

Why were his rights terminated? Was it definitive or conditional on something? Sounds like a bit of stability would do everyone good. 

Winterglow's picture

"No, DuH, I don't hate your son but I DO hate the way he behaves. How about we help him grow up to be a decent person? "

This isn't your ss's fault -time to redirect your anger where it belongs... with your husband. 

Disengageme's picture

I've tried so hard to direct my anger towards my husband and it always ends in a fight. I do get along with my ss relatively well but no matter what it's never good enough. After so many times you just sorta give up.