You are here

Can't stand the attention I get from SD I feel like I am being stalked

Stormie's picture

I have had an "interesting" relationship with my 9 year old SD so far. She has been in my life for 14 months. The first 4 months or so were good, we got on well but as I have said on a previous post we then all went on holiday together and omg was that a revelation. Anyway, we came back off holiday (with me swearing never again) and things just got worse and worse. January this year I started counselling as I really could not deal with her behaviour - tantrums, attention seeking, nasty comments, back chat etc. I was working through things quite well with my counsellor when SD was especially unpleasant one evening reducing me to tears in the middle of the supermarket carpark. Her father and I sat her down and we had a long chat. Lots of things came out of that chat and we seemed to be making some progress. One of the things she said was that I never spend time with her. Not really surprising when she has pulled my hair, pinched me, slapped me and been verbally unpleasant. We agreed we would trial me spending 1 hour every other weekend doing something with her. We talked over with her how much damage had been done over the last few months and how we both had to make an effort but that things would take time to heal.

Anyway, this lasted around two weekend trips. SD completely forgot the agreement was 1 hour every other weekend we had them and demands time with me whenever she is at our house. After everything that has happened I just don't like the child and I have no desire to spend time with her. The problem is she has decided that is what she wants and it seems I dont have much say in it. We are now in a viscious circle of her demanding attention and me refusing to give it. We had them this weekend, it went like this...

Friday night SD being moody all evening, I mention in a conversation to my fiance that I need to go out briefly the next day. SD immediately asks if she can come and I tell her no sorry I need to be quick and I will be quicker alone. SD becomes more moody. B (fiance) notices she is being moody and eventually makes her talk to him where she announces she thinks I prefer her brother to her, B explains that SS is easier to deal with he is not clingy, he does not demand my attention and when he is naughty it tends to be over and done with very rapidly but with SD she tends to continue misbehaving for several hours. B also explains that I do not like one more than the other I just find SS easier. SD seems to accept this and is reasonable until SS goes to bed where she becomes clingy again - by this I mean forcing herself physically onto me insisting I have cuddles I dont want and trying to kiss me on the mouth which I loathe, I have had problems with her touching me completely inappropriately although this has stopped. However I cant stand the kissing on the mouth I find it completely inappropriate and an invasion of my personal space. Finally she went to bed after further cuddling, kissing and telling me she loves me, I cannot reciprocate that sentiment and I dont believe her when she says that to me.

Saturday - B got up and went downstairs to sort out the kids breakfast, I stayed in bed 10 mins longer then went to shower. I was getting ready when SD stands outside my door asking to know what I was doing, I replied I was getting ready (I wanted to tell her to mind her own business). She camps outside the bedroom door for 20 minutes. I continue dressing, straightening my hair doing my make up etc. SD again asks what I am doing, I am now feeling hemmed in and pissed off. I reply I am getting ready. She asks why I sound upset, I stop myself telling her that is because she is stalking me. When I emerge from the bedroom another 15 mins later she is standing in her bedroom watching my room door just waiting for me to come out. I run downstairs like a frightened rabbit to B. I sit down for breakfast she comes down sits opposite me and stares at me continually while I eat my breakfast. I ask her to stop. She then tells me I look nice, my hair is nice, I am pretty etc and continues to stare at me. I again ask her to stop staring at me, thank her for the compliments and suggest she goes and does something more fun. She again asks to come to the shop with me, I again refuse (I need the space by now). I try to say a rapid goodbye to B and escape the house, she flings herself at me demanding kisses & cuddles. SS just yells bye (I like that!). I return from shopping SD follows me round the house going everywhere I go about 6 inches away from me. I stand filing a broken nail with her virtually standing on my foot getting poked in the eye with the nail file. I point out to her that I would prefer if she didnt stand so close to me all the time. B decides to wash the car and asks the kids to help, I go out to mow the grass. SD washes the car then decides I need help, I dont I am enjoying the solitude of me and a strimmer!! I insist SD stays off the grass meaning I have around 20 feet of personal space. I go to stand talking to B, SD stands between me and him just staring at me. I again ask her to stop staring at me, I ask her why she is staring at me and what is wrong. She says nothing I try and explain to her how uncomfortable she is making me feel, B also tries to talk to her again about it reminding her about the conversation he had with her the night before. I go upstairs to do something, B comes up to ask if I am ok, SD stands outside the bedroom door trying to listen to our conversation. B reminds her we have a house rule about privacy. I breathe a huge sigh of relief when she goes to bed.

Sunday We have a family day out. At this point I am absolutely totally and utterly fed up of being followed, virtually stood on, stared at and questioned about everything - why did you have cereal for breakfast, you like that cereal dont you, your hair looks nice did you straighten it again? I like that t shirt is it new? etc etc. We go for a picnic everytime I sit down SD is either staring at me or sitting so she is virtually on my lap. If she is not doing that she is virtually sitting on B's lap. Finally 6 o'clock arrives and I am released from what feels like torture as they go back to their mother.

I am sorry for the very long and probably very dull post but I am frustrated and fed up with this. I am dreading tomorrow as we have them from 3.30 till 7. We had them last night and I got the same thing staring, comments on aspects of my behaviour as though she knows everything about me, questioning whether or not things I have said are correct etc. I have said to B that I dont want to see them every time they are with us as I dont get chance to have a break and cool down with the anger and frustration. We are getting married later this year and as well as the obvious excitement about marrying the man I love I am thinking wooo hooo a two week honeymoon with no kids. I do need to make clear that whilst at the moment SD really is ticking me off I do actually want to be able to have a normal, pleasant relationship with her as I do with her brother. What I cant stand is the feeling I am living my life under her microscope where whatever I do, say, wear, want etc is her business. When we told her and her brother we were getting married she told me that I had no choice in my dress or the bridesmaids dresses or anything else to do with the wedding, she was choosing everything. B had to intervene to remind her it was his and my wedding and not hers before she insisted I dressed like a pink meringue. And Breathe.....

namaste123's picture

I know exactly how you feel. I am in the same boat with my FSS6 (almost 7).

As in your case, his brother, FSS4, is much easier and more pleasant to be around. He even, usually, asks if he can sit in my lap, but doesn't mind if you say no, and tell him that he can sit right next to me. He actually annoys me so much less than his brother, that I allow him get closer to me and want to do more things with him. It's not favorites, I just can't stand to be around people that want to kiss, tug, pull, jump, talk excessivly to me and constantly follow me around.

I was at my breaking point at Christmas when skids and BF visited my family. I had to go outside and scream at the top of my lungs to relieve the stress this clingy, needy, touchy, feely child causes.

Often I just want to push him off me. I do not understand this behavior or why some children act this way. My personal opinion is that it is a behavioral problem that the parents are not addressing.

My new approach is to make the child look at me, in the eye (so I know I have all his attention), and tell him that he NEEDS to control himself (VERY FIRMLY AND VERY CALMLY). If he does not respond approprately to my request, I tell him he is behaving like a monkey, that it is not acceptable.

Does your SD behave this way with her father or mother that you know of?

StepG's picture

does your soon to be SD have with her mom? She wants to be with you so badly but yet as done some awful things I do not understand that. Could she possibly be crying out for a real mother figure?

kaffonseca's picture

LOL! LOL! YES..when my SS5 first started showing me so much affection it made my heart blow up..but now it's gotten a little out of control. I will be sitting there reading a book on the couch and he just stands there and stares at me. I ask him "what's up." He says nothing..just wanted to watch you..I watch tv..he sits so close to me he's on my lap. I take a bath, he asks me "why and how was the bath as soon as I walk out of the bathroom"...he is seriously up my butt 24/7. I love him to death and I know he is just loving having a mother role in his life..but it's kind of creepy sometimes.
"He grew up in my heart, not my belly"

onehappygirl's picture

My own BD does the same thing. Her father used to do that. He would stare at me and if my expression changed one iota, he would jump on it and "What's wrong" me to death!!! So she has learned that from him, and as much as I love her, it does creep me out a bit, and I have had to set boundaries with her. However, I do try to give her the attention she needs and craves, but it's a balancing act sometimes between love and revulsion and the guilt I feel because of it.

But in your situation, it sounds like something else is going on there. It would make me very uncomfortable and I wouldn't want to be alone with her.

Orange County Ca's picture

I think the girl has major problems in dealing with the divorce which only a professional counselor can help with. Urge her father to make arrangements with the mother for this to happen. Dad pays for it if that's necessary.

Your counselor should have given you strategies to cope with this situation by now. If s/he is not being helpful find another one.

YOU ARE THE ADULT. This situation is no different from any other one where the child needs guidance and a firm hand. You consider some behavoir acceptable and other behavoirs not. Ignoring her and punishment such as putting her in her room is appropriate. The father does this not you.

There's an exception to everything I say.

Most Evil's picture

Maybe her BM is telling her to do this, for information to give BM, and also to set up that you would object then SD would decide to not like you?

I know our BM told SD she should play with my hair all the time, and it hurt, and I almost felt like BM did that so SD would stay out of BM's hair? It is sick but some people are sick and would want to ruin your relationship because it is threatening to them or doing this would benefit them somehow.

Either way it is healthy for you to set boundaries and for SD to observe them. I really think your SD is testing you somehow and that BM gets a FULL report. Welcome to SD/BM world!! sorry dear

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Vladimir Lenin

Stormie's picture

Thanks so much, I was beginning to feel I was the odd one! She does follow her father around but she doesn't do the standing there staring at him thing. She once told me off for having a bath "because if you have a shower I can come in the bathroom with you" no idea where she got that idea, we have a walk in glass shower and there is no way I am getting naked in front of her. She does have her birth mother, she "lives" with her, what that actually means is she spends maybe two nights a week with her mother the rest of the time Mammy takes her to her grandmother's to stay over. On BM's weekends the kids spend at least two nights with Nanny & Grandad. We have thought about taking her for counselling but our concern is that BM will twist things to say that there is no problem unless I am around therefore the problem is me and SD should see less of her father. She is not so clingy when we take her to her paternal grandparents, she doesnt feel the need to climb all over them, although she does at times still try and climb all over me. I find it particularly hard because I am small so when she tries to cuddle up to me she tends to try and nestle her head on my breasts because they are head height, which I cant stand (back to the inappropriate touching problem I had). Her Dad is very affectionate and feels that SD doesn't realise that just because he likes lots of kisses and cuddles doesnt mean I do. He has decided he is going to talk to her about it next weekend she stays over. She is very frightened of her BM, frightened of upsetting her and also frightened of being yelled at by her, we had a problem last Summer with BM being physically abusive, we had to involve social services and the Police. I appreciate she has been through a lot but her constant attention and her constant demands for that attention to be reciprocated are driving me away. As OnehappyGirl says I feel revulsion at the thought of her getting with in 4 feet of me. I am glad I am not the only one I was beginning to feel very alone as B tries but can't really fully understand how I feel. Unfortunately my counselling was paid for by my employer and only lasted 6 sessions, we aren't in a position to continue paying for it ourselves at the moment.