You are here

Blog post about CF step parenting

daysleeper's picture

I made a blog post awhile back, but there were some posting problems, and by the time that they were resolved, my blog link had been pushed off the page. I thought that CF steps might appreciate it:

http://www.steptalk.org/node/97958

Orange County Ca's picture

You said:

I've had an internal struggle going on for awhile now about what it is that I feel for SD6, exactly. When I'm discussing her with SO, and especially when we're brainstorming for ideas on how to make her the most enriched person that she can be (no help from BM on that one, of course), I'm like a stepmommy supergoddess. When SD is actually here, I just don't even want to be around her because she annoys the shit out of me so much.

I think that I've finally figured it out: I like the idea of SD as an abstract, a result of various conditions that have been met, and malleable to decisions yet to be made. SD as an entity, something that I can have an opinion on from afar and possibly influence in order to make a more perfect thing happen.

The reality of SD is at best incredibly annoying and at worst infuriating. I cannot stand being around her. It's probably not even her fault; I just don't like children, and she is a very typical child. This morning, she fell down a couple of stairs because she'd been sneaking around on them to eavesdrop on my conversation with SO (she does this a lot). My kneejerk, gut reaction when I heard her tumble was to roll my eyes and think, "Why are kids so fucking clumsy?" When she started to wail, I thought, "Why are kids so fucking clumsy and needy? How annoying!"

So, I'd been having these conflicting feelings about SD for so long that I couldn't work out what the basis of any of my feelings was. Why did I care about SD at all if I couldn't stand being around her? Why do I care about what BM does when I don't even like the person that it's influencing? Now, I've finally figured it out, and it does feel a bit better to at least know what the motivation behind my thoughts has been.

Orange County Ca's picture

Obviously you're getting sterilized so no mistakes happen. I have no problem with people recognizing that children are not for them and very happy when they make that realization before having children. Standing up to peer pressure is courageous when one knows they would do such a poor job or hate their situation if they had kids.

Why did you marry a man with kids? Surely there are millions out there, billions if you include other countries many of which have countless numbers of men who would love to marry a U.S. citizen who doesn't want children.

Anyway its not too late. Tell this guy you made a blunder, its all your fault, you hope the best for him and that's why you're leaving. In the end all will be happy with you the happiest of all.