You are here

Disengaging without ever engaging?? Help!

Hharleyluv's picture

Hi there and wow! . I really don’t know where to begin but I would like to say thank you all for your inspiring AMD uplifying posts and responses. Most of what I’ve read about this horrible process relates to me. My feelings. I also need to add I DO NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREM OF MY OWN (which is another reason for being here AND ALWAYS HAVE THIS THROWN UP TO MY FACE BY SO WHEN SITUATIONS REGARDING 19 SD OCCUR )
However the one major thing that’s SOO different is that the SD 19 refuses to EVER have a thing to do with me NOR HAS SHE! I’ve been with SO for almost 7 years. We just purchased a home together too. I will preface this also with ... Yes SO left BM for me and at the time the 21SS had nothing to do with me either.. for 4 years! It’s civil but not warm or fuzzy. I would never approach him for a merry Xmas hug or happy birthday!! Na! The divorce has been final for over a year now and the 19SD literally can’t even lay her eyes on me (7 years now) without believing I’m Medusa. Needless to say I suffered the first four years being excluded from everything that pertains to his kids. I sat home Xmas eves. Father’s Day. His birthdays. Their birthdays. Any event. You name it I was left home with the continued promise of “give it Time”. Ok. Year one yeah. Year two ok maybe. Year 3 I’m loosing patience and now feeling like I’m making an ass of myself accepting such treatment that is clearly ok with their BF and Which BM is probably laughing about. I feel like I let myself down. Considering I’ve always been a little rough or let’s say have “no filter”. I’m not great with candy coating or handling things with “ kid gloves”. I’m more of a let’s talk about the big elephant in the middle of the room!!! Years I’d sit home on a Friday night so he could eat out with them. But they always brought friends leaving for their limited time as all fun and never the time for real discussions about their fathers new life and
how unhappy he was in his marriage to BM how they were feeling AMD why they hated or blamed me? I will say SO is not the most educated AMD most certainly poopoos counseling which I’ve asked him to go to for years and with his kids. He takes no
Opinions or advice or input from me and continually throws in my fave I have no kids. That’s old too. I don’t need to be a parent to see what’s wrong. It’s almost as if he is afraid of telling them He was unhappy and lives with such guilt for leaving the marriage. I’ll add SO was the one who initiated the relationship with me as opposed to me ripping it apart. I also wonder why the blame is on me. They’re not my kids to worry about or hurt. They’re HIS kids. I hurt the people in MY LIFE. He hurt those in HIS LIFE! t and I may fear they think it was I whomimutiated since I’m the homewreckinf Whore! I’m truly not that sorry for any of it. I don’t feel bad I got out of unhappy marriages and don’t think he should feel that either.
The problem is I have had some bad episodes with the 19SD. She is spoiled as hell. In first tear of. Immunity college. Has NEVER held a job longer than a day I think AMD is truly a little spoiled thinking who she is bitch. SO bought her a white BMW when she turned 17 and where did she go with her girlfriend? To my work at Harley Davidson to tell me to leave her father the fuck alone! Of course I would have loved to drag her ass out and down the ramp by her hair. But I love this man and truly he has been an unbelievable dad since they were both born. I mean a wonderful dad. Too much spoiling for my liking but whatever ..times are different! At that time of the first incident the divorce was going thru so SO’s first excuses were he couldn’t revoke cars or shit cell phones off because the judge would say he had to keep the “status quo” until the divorce was final. Like yeah ok a judge will tell you you aren’t permitted to punish your kid??? I DONT THINK SO! You weren’t turning off the heat and cable!!! I immediately called him he called SD. ...It was a scene that lasted 10 min and she left storming out! It Was more than embarrassing at my workplace but I ate it! I politely asked her to leave. Inevitably I thought she should have had her car taken from her as punishment but that didn’t happen. I guess he was “upset” with her but I’m left in the dark with any “talking to’s” he ever has with her or even conversations. It’s a big secret. Everything is a secret. I must say too that for years he couldn’t even answer the phone if it were me while he was with his kids!!
Next episode Christmas of 2016. We went to SO’s sisters house and SS his GF And wicked SD showed up. The SS and Gf were totally different towards me and the SD was just downright nasty Gave me dirty looks placed her hand over her face as a shield from me. I cannot say how not only embarrassed I was but soo hurt. This girl doesent even know me. I’m bubbly. Love people. Have no problems with anyone and I was made an asshole of!! Needless to say... There were no consequences for her behavior because he claims he can’t do anything about it. Oh and let’s not forget I have no kids so I have nothing to say!
Next episode (small but my third interaction with his daughter in six years!) one week prior to Xmas SO has hernia surgery. Of course both skids are never around for SO. After they took him I had So’s Cell AMD Sd texts. “ good luck
In surgery”. So I’m like ugh. Now what do I do? So I was nice and sent a picture I took of him giving the thumbs up to SO’s phone then sent it to SD as if it was him. This pic wasn’t for her I had taken it prior. So I sent it as SO to his BD. No response for 45 min AMD I get. Did you go in for surgery yet? Of course I’m thinking duhhhh dumbass I just sent a pic near an hour ah. But whatever. So I responded “yes your dad’s in surgery”. I get back a condescending text from this little shit 19 SD that says “and who
Am I speaking with”. God if I could have reached they the phone AMD cjoked her I would have. Like who the he’ll do you think
Yes s texting you you asswipe? Her attitude sucks. She’s an ill mannered little spoiled smart mouthed shit that in my day my
Mother would have cracked me in the mouth. Truly I
Should have taken the chance and responded but I could see they her text like cheap toilet paper. You’re 19. I’m 48. I’ve forgotten more than you know kid!!’!! Ugh. I ate it and said don’t respond. Don’t stoop!
Next episode AMD the final straw for me. SS his GF and evil Sd show up Xmas eve to our new home we just purchased this may together. SS AMD his GF have been here before. But I now have friends here and Sd flings open my back slider like she owns the one lace. Walks in. Shoots me a look. Everyone is Utah standing there like ummmmm refuses to say hello merry Xmas. Thank hog they didn’t have coats on. I wouldn’t even approach her she oooked like an
Animal near frothing at the mouth to lounge at me. I said merry Christmas AMD this is nice that you all came it makes your dad soo happy. I got nothin. Room silent with 9 people in there watching her look at me lip curled eyes squinting. Just downright awful. I said OK LETS GO OUT FOR A SMOKE! My friends and I got up and went outside. It was horrible. I faintly heard SO make a comment to her as “Knock it off” I wanted to cry but held it together saving my own embarrassment which would And should have been followed by get the hell out! She stayed for one hour. I couldn’t laugh chuckle talk to anyone without the right lip yo AMD the look of death at me. I mean why even come here? Se you trying to intimidate me? I’m just lost with this.
As the divorce has been final now for over a year the clincher is is that in their div papers SO does not ha w to pay a dime for college or support if she does not attend reunification therapy with him. Neither will even try or go AMD he turns it on me that I’m crazy. I ha w no kids. Asks me if my parents could make me do something. I’m at a loss. What are your thoughts. I find it hard to believe I have to go to counseling because he’s spineless and she’s a little spiked bitch who disrespects he’d father as well! I’m ready to pack it in! Or disengage but I haven’t really engaged or been allowed to

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Sorry OP, I could not read this wall of print. Please edit to add paragraphs, so more members will be inclined to read your post.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

You have been with SO for 7 years, but the divorce has only been final for one year, and you wonder why the kids don't like you? No matter the timeline, the fact your SO left BM for you is reason enough for his kids not to like you.

What is "AMD" - I thought it was "and" but that doesn't seem to always fit in the sentence?

Ispofacto's picture

DH vowed to be faithful to BM and he was not. He should apologize to BM and the Skids for his infidelity, and let them know that it is his responsibility, not yours. If he was unhappy in his relationship with BM it would have ended in any case, he should let them know that as well. Assuming you knew he was married, you might want to apologize as well. You did not have any obligations to BM since you were not in a relationship with her, but what you did was not kind.

The kids' behavior is a bit immature for their ages. They need to get over it and move on. DH should make it clear to them that you are his partner and they have to accept that if they want a relationship with him. If not, they can continue to be angry far away from the two of you.

disrestep's picture

Interesting you mention you have not been allowed to engage. Thank you, I never thought of what I go through that way. Don't worry, you are not alone here, as I was not allowed to engage by the adults skids either, so I don't even have to disengage. That works for me.

I spent many holidays alone a few years into my relationship with DH. The adult skids would invite friends and other relatives and DH's late wife's family, but never me. They would tell DH to not bring me. DH would play along with their exclusion game until one day I guess he realized it isn't right. I was also told to give it time, as I knew it was wrong. What kind of people do that? My family never treated DH like that.

Anyway, a person should not be treated the way your SD treats you and perhaps your SS and his spouse do, especially in your own home. Your SO should agree to counselling. Why not, what is he afraid of? The truth perhaps that he has spoiled kids and he needs to take a united front with you and not allow his spawn to treat you like this, nor to damage any property you own. I believe she opened a sliding door forcefully. Honestly, it is your home also. If my adult skids or their spawn ever try to disrespect me in my own home, they will be shown the door immediately. As far as SD going to your work and harrassing you. I would call the local PD and file a harrassment report against her if she does this again or if you still can. Going to someone's work and doing that is just plain wrong.

You don't owe anyone who treats you like dirt an apology. These are your SO's kids and he needs to deal with them, not you. Because, no matter what you do, say, or don't do, adult skids will find fault with it no matter what. I know, because that is what mine do. Not all marriages work out. My DH's marriage was not a happy one for a long time. Unfortunately, people fall out of love and the marriage fails. It's just a fact of life. Not easy, but it's been this way through time.

Good luck.

still learning's picture

You optimistically jumped right on board his train wreck and now expect a warm and fuzzy relationship? SO had issues in his marriage and family that he should have dealt with rather than dragging someone else into the mix. This has been going on for 7 years and I can guarantee that the dynamic is only going to get worse. Just wait until there are step-grandchildren in the mix that are programmed to hate you.

Thank god you don't have any children that have to be subjected to this drama! Where is your self respect woman? Why are you in this ridiculous situation? Surely you can see that this relationship will only spell years of future misery for you.

Your SO cheated on his wife and left his family because he was unhappy. Is he happy now or is it about time for him to find someone else to distract him from his current situation?

hereiam's picture

There are consequences for our actions. Always.

His kids see you as their father's mistress and they obviously do not respect that. After seven years, that probably won't change.

sammigirl's picture

Welcome aboard!!

Of course, when a person gets into this situation, they don't realize the ugly perks come with it. It's like "you can't see the forest for the trees". Love has a way of making ugly look like roses.

Now you have to make some decisions for yourself. Seven years is enough to bring it all out; so here you are sorting it out. This is a good place to come to vent and for advice. What has happened is in the past cannot be changed, never look back, move forward.

Even though I was not the "other woman", my grown SD let me know she hated me from day one. She was jealous of our marriage and even told me she hated the fact that DH and I had a good marriage, because BM and DH never had a happy marriage. "hereiam" is right; it won't change.

After 30+ years of a very long story, I am totally disengaged from SD57. I was never engaged with adult SS's. They are very nice to me and we just stay our distance. We don't hug or get personal in any way. It's always been that way and let me tell you it's the best way.

Stay disengaged and make a life separate from your SO's kids. Don't let it enter your life, if you are going to stay with this man. It will destroy you. Ignore it and stay away from SD19. My DH has his relationship with his three adult kids, including holidays, which we agree on dates and time; I am civil when I have to be around them. I don't go to SD's house, I don't engage with her in any way. My SD57 and SGD34 (mother/daughter) will never cease in giving me harsh remarks and dirty looks. I just ignore them and NEVER respond to their remarks. I am a happy person and never let them change my mood, when they are around me. DH didn't like my disengagement from his Princess, because I was nice to her for 30+ years; but he now is accepting it and understands. He understands because she has shown her true colors and I have moved forward without her.

I've won my battle, because of this site and the valuable advice I've received here. I will never leave this site. It is my rock.

My DH is now very ill and hospitalized; I am contending with his kids as we speak. I send group texts for updates, I gave them is room number, telephone number; the entire information that they need to visit with him. But here is where it stops; they are not invited to my home, for any reason, while their Father is hospitalized. When he comes home, down the road (long stay), they will come visit (maybe) and I will handle it like I always do, when they come to our home. I ignore them, I don't hostess them, I don't go out of my way for them, not even a cold drink. They want lunch, they can bring it with them. This is what you will need to learn to do, if you stay.

Good Luck

Disneyfan's picture

You helped destroy a marriage and a family. Now you are all butt hurt because his kids are showing you the same level of respect you showed their family. :?

Lady Karma has found you.

Edited by moderator

Indigo's picture

I'd expect a bit of flack whenever someone owns up to pooping in the nest, or sleeping with a random cowboy when "on a break," or shagging your friend's groom at the wedding, or any one of a thousand stories of how to f*ck up a relationship that we read about here.

Just a group of folks on this board, with a thread of dysfunction running through our lives. Violate societal norms, break the law, kick puppies, kill hedgehogs, cats or hamsters, or simply wander into the Darkside, and you will get flack. Roll with it.

However, there are lots of folks who have great advice & good friendships to offer.

secret's picture

Gotta love how people jump on the affair part and don't even bother providing advice/support etc on the step parenting dynamic you came here for. Also gotta love how they pick and choose who they're going to give advice to, while being rude enough to tell you that because you broke up a family you don't deserve their advice.

Ridiculous. You don't deserve that.

If you hadn't included that in your post, the advice would probably be for you to disengage. Let dad do the parenting. Let dad do stuff for the kids. Be pleasant... but don't pay for them, don't spend your time or energy on them - don't buy them gifts, don't cook for them. Be friendly - but don't dwell on anything. Don't spend your money on them, and when Dad talks about them... "that's nice" and change the subject. When dad expects you to pay for something, tell him you don't have the budget to provide for HIS children.

Read up on disengagement, and ignore those that think they're better than you. Because, you know, karma etc... I have to suppose that those who are in the same situation without having been the other woman are in that situation because of some other crappy karma back on them...

ldvilen's picture

This part is true: "If you hadn't included that in your post, the advice would probably be for you to disengage," but that would have made the situation completely different. What SMs have in common here is not so much that we are SMs as it is that through NO fault of our own, we are held liable for someone else's divorce. In this case, the "through no fault of her own" has been taken out of the equation. In this case, she is to a degree guilty of the crime she is being accused of, and I don't always care for SMs being thrown in the same bucket all of the time, just because they are involved with or married a man with children.

The vast majority of SMs are not involved (in any manner) with their DH until after the divorce. This is what people need to know and need to focus on. And, I can't tell you how many people even in the year 2018 think that SM = some cheap floosy dad got involved with while still married to BM, and then divorced BM, and then took up with SM. That type of scenario only fits in with about 5-10% of SMs. That is the stereotype that the other 90% of us have to try to fight and deal with on a daily basis. And I know, I for one, in addition to many other SMs, don't want to send the message that fooling around with someone else's spouse prior to the 100% legit. divorce is even remotely OK. This is not the message of most SMs. Most SMs have done nothing wrong just by marrying DH after the fact of the divorce, and want their marriage to be thought of as a marriage, just like any other marriage.

So. YES, you will find many a SM taking issue with that 5-10% that fooled around with dad prior to dad's and BM's divorce. If I was sneaking around BM's back and the children's back with DH, I wouldn't have the expectation that any child of his, adult or otherwise, comes around after that. If they do, great, but I certainly would not expect it. I would just expect that now that I made my bed, I have to lie in it. 90% of us SMs deserve to have our marriages fully recognized by everyone, including SKs. The other 5-10% who were going behind the scenes with DH, while he was still married to BM, mmmm, I'm not so sure. And, there is a reason why in that case the divorce rate goes up to approx. 75%. It is very difficult to start a good life with someone that at its base inflicted a lot of pain on others.

secret's picture

I agree in part with what you said.

She DOES need to be accountable for her part in it - but that's the only thing that really makes a difference.

It's still not a good enough reason for the kids to be allowed to have a piss poor attitude towards her - it's still inappropriate for them to make their distaste so public and in her face.

It doesn't change the fact that the behavior is allowed to continue.
It doesn't change the fact that she's subjected to it.

Many are subjected to the same crap, without having their sex life involved.

It doesn't "really" make a difference in the things that are done, said or otherwise... just that there is an added layer of crap to have to deal with.

Dad is JUST AS GUILTY, if not more - and as someone said, he is blood and they will forgive... however... it's likely that they are able to forgive with the mindset that dad was "seduced" by this woman... even if she says HE is the one that pursued the relationship. Maybe she didn't know he was married until afterwards. Maybe they were already on the way out and the fact they got together sped it up. Happy spouses don't cheat.

It doesn't really matter why it happened, because the point of the post is for help in dealing with the skids behaviors. Not to be told to lie in the bed she made.

I'd love to know what everyone else's transgressions are that make them hated and/or treated poorly by their skids... because there are many whose skids won't be around them at all. Won't speak to them. Won't acknowledge them. I'd love to know what bed nobody's telling them to lie in.....

It really doesn't matter how the relationship began - because the issues that are going on, now, is what OP is looking for help on. She doesn't deserve any LESS help or advice than someone having to go through the same issues whose relationship started in a different way.

YES, she should expect SOME flack due to it - but she shouldn't be expected to accept poor behavior over it, just like anyone else.

ldvilen's picture

I agree with you on this in part too, "she shouldn't be expected to accept poor behavior over it, just like anyone else." I do think there is some point where the 'punishment' for the crime, so to speak, can become the larger crime or monster in itself. And, maybe that is what is going on here? Not sure. Like I stated earlier, I would not blame any SK for not wanting anything to do with dad's partner if she was in on an affair with dad. However, I wouldn't expect the SK to stalk her or poison one of her animals or such, either. I wonder too, at what point do you just let it go and lay down your arms in peace--not for SM or even dad, but for yourself?

secret's picture

Depends on the person... if they are a decent human being, perhaps they will never want anything to do with her... but will tolerate her for their father's sake... because CLEARLY he loves her enough to have left his marriage for her... and the skids should understand that....

I guess they'll continue with it as long as it gives them the desired results.

If dad steps up and puts them in their place, either the BS would stop...or the skids would stop coming around... win win for OP.

Disneyfan's picture

"because CLEARLY he loves her enough to have left his marriage for her... and the skids should understand that...."

Why do so many women fall for this lie? We know that more often than not, the man "left" once his wife found out he was cheating and kicked his behind out.

Merry's picture

The percentage of men AND women cheating in their relationships is so darn high it's happened to most people. If Aunt Nelly cheated on Uncle Bob, are people allowed to mistreat Aunt Nelly, or her new partner? No. But it's ok to mistreat a stepmom? I don't get it.

Sure, your DH's kids might never feel all warm and fuzzy toward you. Might never have a friendly relationship with you. That's fine -- you can't force other people to like you no matter the circumstances. So stop trying to. But the basic standards of civility still apply. Everyone is at least polite. If the skids are not polite, your DH needs to deal with that.

Disengagement for you is the right way to go.

Dovina's picture

Congrats you have survived your public stoning on here. You were honest enough to share the background of your relationship. That takes courage, because you must have known on some level that reactions would be mostly harsh. I sense though, that those reactions would roll off your back, and you were hoping for advice or support on how to deal with your SD.

I agree with the ladies who responded to disengage. I understand SD's hurt and anger. One would hope that SD would seek counselling to come to terms or how to properly deal with this reality, as you are still in the picture 7 years later. This anger on her part is not healthy if she is showing up at your work humiliating you. I wouldn't expect her to ever like you. However if she is to go into your home she needs to be respectful. It is imperative that your SO has this conversation with her. This is the unfortunate result of how your relationship started. Take comfort,if there is any, that many SM's are treated just as poorly and they were not even in the picture when the parents divorced. As secret said, I guess we all have this karma.

Indigo's picture

"It is imperative that your SO has this conversation with her." -- Dovina.

True, but the second part of that is SO needs to enforce and reinforce that a level of civility and courtesy are expected behaviors. It sounds as if SO let the "kid" run wild with disapproval and hurt for too long. This part of the situation is on SO's shoulders. Whether through his own angst or lack of boundaries, SD has been allowed to run feral.

marblefawn's picture

I'll say it nicely because you didn't break up my family.

You can't possibly expect his kids not to hold a grudge against you. Is your post even for real? Surely you had to consider what his kids would think of you as the catalyst for the breakup, even if it was their dad's decision to break vows and wreck his family.

You say he's a "wonderful" dad, but from their perspective, he's a shit who cheated on their mom, had some woman on the side for most of their childhoods, and now expects them to accept the woman. What were you or he thinking?

You should never expect any niceties from any of them. If you get civility from any of them, as from SS, it's because they have no choice but to take you if they want their dad. They are going to make your life hell. If that matters, start over with someone else and do it right this time.

marblefawn's picture

Just so you know, I didn't mean for this to sound nasty. The tone in my head was a practical one - I swear I wasn't yelling! And speaking practically, I just don't think you can expect much, if anything, from them.

But reading some of these other comments, I was reminded that the parents of one of my in laws divorced because of an affair. The dad soon married his mistress. As far as I know, all three of the adult children were always respectful and polite to their new SM. She was at all their weddings. And at least on the surface, she was never disparaged and always included in family events. And get this: after the dad died, the BM and SM developed a fascinating relationship. When the SM was ailing, the BM spent time caring for her and they even shared holidays together shortly before the SM died (the SM never had kids of her own and had no other family).

As a SM myself, I've tried to figure out how this happened. The parents divorced when my in law was in college, so they were all old enough to know it was an affair that caused the divorce. Looking back at the players, I think the Dad was quite stern and tolerated no BS from his kids. I don't know if he ever had to demand they respect her, but maybe it was just understood that it would not be tolerated.

So a parent with a firm hand might have made this the unusual story it was. Or maybe the players just believed peace is more pleasant than fighting. Personally, I do not think I could forgive a parent for cheating when divorce is readily available and acceptable in this day and age and I would never accept a stepparent who engaged in an affair with my parent.

twoviewpoints's picture

As you and SD are both adults, neither of you have to a thing to do with each other.

The girl was twelve when she watched her father walk out the door for TOW and then watched her Mom and Dad go through the divorce process for six long years. Yeah, I doubt there are any warm adoring fee=fees between you and the girl on either side. Best to just focus on your new home, your own relationship with your SO.

Let her father worry about what if any relationship he has with his daughter. He can have occasional lunches with her outside your home. You're free to not have to be involved.

sandye21's picture

I am going to play the devil's advocate and try to let you understand this picture from the view of the ex-wife. My 1st Husband left me for another woman whom he later married. Yes, we were having problems in the marriage but the attraction they had for each other seemed to narrow their peripheral vision so they saw nothing around them - not the spouses or the children who were deserted on the edges. They didn't give much thought to how their their actions affected the lives of innocent people. They justified their selfish behavior by saying they were unhappily married to other people. It would have been nice if they would have waited until I could get a job or get my finances in order before he pulled all of our money out of the bank then phoned me to tell me he was leaving. For years I blamed myself because my ex had been 'unhappy' with me, then I realized it was more about sex than anything else. It really didn't have much to do with me at all.

I DID take the high road afterward when I realized that his new wife had actually done me a favor - a few years after they were married the ex was arrested and jailed for propositioning what he thought was a prostitute. I always felt sorry for her after that. I never bad-mouthed the ex or his new wife to the kids. I was always respectful to her (actually came to like her), and expected my kids to respect her too.

But you know what? I think it would have made a big difference if both of them had just apologized to the kids and I. You wrote, "The divorce has been final for over a year now" so I am wondering why it took 7 years to finalize. Mine took a year and a half and I thought THAT was a long time. There had to be some reason why it took that long. If the divorce was only a year ago it is still pretty fresh. I'm also wondering what you and your DH did to help BM survive both emotionally and financially.

All you can expect at this point is mutual respect. If they don't want to have anything to do with you maybe you are lucky. Just concentrate on making your marriage a good one.