You are here

can i take sd10 on vacation even if dh can't come?

lmdavi0's picture

we have had a family (my parents, siblings and their kids) vacation planned for over five months and sent bb our plans 90 days in advance, as per our parenting agreement. as of last week, dh has found out he can't go because of his new job but would still like sd to go with me. i know we would have a great time and she loves her cousins (they're the same age). my question is do i have a right to? am i breaking any laws? technically dh has custody for the three weeks we have her so...
also, is there anything bb can do to prevent her from coming to the three-week visitation???
thanks!!!!

goingcrazy's picture

You are just as much her mom now. You do the mom responsibilities when BM isn't there. You should be able to include her in your trip. I think it is great that you want her to be a part of the family experience. I would be taking my SD with me, regardless of BM's opinion. If it is your DH's time, then he can choose how to spend it. So, I hope you and ALL your kids enjoy your vacation

Anonymous's picture

If DH as the custody time during the vacation... than do it. You won't be breaking any laws, because there aren't any laws to be breaking since DH and you are married, and it's on HIS time not the BM's.

If you're worried about BM, just don't say anything about it to her, since it's your time anyway, and she can't interfere with your parenting time regardless, just as you shouldn't interfere with her time. It's none of your business, period. Make it a 'surprise' for SD. As long as you don't have any custody orders to NOT do something, like take SD out of state, etc, than you are free to do what you want on your time.