You are here

Unwanted advice/opinions

hbell0428's picture

Do any of you have a Friend or family member that isn't a SP - but thinks they know what is best for you and your family. I have/had a Best Friend that I would confide in when I was at a loss with SD14 - I just wanted an ear! Now she has gone totally mad and is "telling" me what I should be doing! We live next door to one another and my SD and her BD are Best friends as well. My SD runs to my BFriend all the time and my Bestfrined believes her!!!!!! (I can take advice) but is has actually ruined our friendship.

Any of you deal with people who think they know everything!! :jawdrop:

doll faced sm's picture

Sad I'm sorry that I don't and have no advice to give . . .

but a funny thought did cross my mind after reading it. What if you did the same thing?
"OMG BestFriend, I am sooooooooooooo pi$$ed of at SD right now, you will never believe what she did this time. Blah, blah, blah."

It would be childish, but would maybe open BF's eyes that SD is being childish as well by bringing all her drama next door. Also, she may be more inclined to take your side if she hears your side first.

I would normally say stop hanging out w/ her as much as possible, but since she's a close neighbor and the daughters in the situation are BFFs, I imagine that at least difficult and at hardest impossible.

momof3stepmomof3's picture

One of good friends constantly tells me how to handle situations, but if your not a SP you don't understand. Unfortunely, her daughter becoming very good friends with your SD just makes it all worse for you .... I do feel sorry for you!

Jsmom's picture

If you are not a step, you can not understand this hell. I don't tell much to people that aren't anymore. But, I have a few that are and they give totally different advice and it is usually pretty accurate...

TheBrightSide's picture

Whats worse is when your friend is a BM and has a boyfriend who has no children. Essentially the Step Father.

This couple was at our house. We were discussing a topic relating to children's orthodontics. I have an SD10. She has a daughter 11. Both have the same orthodontist. Ironically, both were given the same "treatment plan". Her boyfriend and I are skeptical.

So the conversation goes where my DH and her believe every bit of the treatment plan for each girl. At one point, my friend looks at her boyfriend dead in the eyes and states..."What do you know..you don't have kids".

I made a the "whaaaaaaat"...exclamation and gave her a look that said..."oh no you di-nt"....

That comment almost sent me around the bend. It implies that just because we didn't contribute DNA or push a baby out of our vagina, we know nothing.

I've lost respect for her.

On another note, her boyfriend, early in their relationship, would come to me for advice on how to deal with her and her kids as, essentially, their step father. I gave him advice early on, and I feel a kin-ship with him because we have this in common.

I no-longer engage in a "friendship" with him because I don't want things to EVER become awkward with my friend (his girlfriend).

Anyway...that's my side-rant....the "you don't know because you don't have children" comment and how irritated I am by that statement.

After I left, I told my husband how much her comment angered me. He, wisely, said nothing.

purpledaisies's picture

What is worse is when you have a friend that has a step son and she has her own kid and one with her dh, that gives you advice like if they steal just go buy them what they stole so they can have their own! :jawdrop:

Yep my best friend did that. I couldn't believe it. Her argument was this that the would feel guilty and it should stop and she is a get this a CHILD Therapist. :jawdrop: