You are here

Private investigator and proving emancipation HELP

kathycrosbyvt's picture

About 6 months back I posted how SS13 told us DH's estranged 18 year old daughter was no longer living at BM's. BM failed to Notify DH which means still Collecting full child support on SD. 

So fast forward till now. SD is now 19 and still living with boyfriend. SD19 in NOT going to school. SD19 is working just not sure how many hours. DH has contacted a Private investigator. We meet for a "Consultation" next week. 

So what I would like from everyone here is 1. To offer Suggestions on what we should ask this Private investigator to make sure we get the information we need? 2. Has anyone ever used a Private investigator? 

SteppedOut's picture

I worked at a private investigative firm for many years (not as an investigator). If they are a reputable experienced firm, they will know exactly what you need. 

You need to be prepared with a photo(s), locations, car model/make/license plate. 

Touch base with your/a lawyer or child support office regarding what kind of duration you need. Does investigator need to stay on location all night or can spot checks be done. How many days/nights need to be documented.

Investigators may have this info... but they are in the business of selling service. 

ETA: A couple trash pulls might be good - to prove she gets mail sent there. 

kathycrosbyvt's picture

Unfortunately we don't know Exactly where SD19 lives JUST that she no longer lives with BM.  We know the town and the general area but not the specific location. 

SD19 DOES NOT have a car so car information won't work Unfortunately. 

Rags's picture

We used a PI to provide information on the SpermIdiot working under the table for cash to avoid a notable level of CS liability.  It was helpful in court when we went after an ammendment for CS.

Your PI will know how to proceed. As SteppedOut advised, take as complete information as possible for your meeting with the investigator.

still learning's picture

It may be a lot of money for no real answers. DH considered doing this with BM to end alimony since she was basically cohabitating with her boyfriend. The issue was that DH had to prove that BM slept there so many nights of the months, had possessions there, and there were several other boxes to check off.  At the time BM had her own apt with ss was living in and taking care of . She was getting her mail there and keeping up that residence.  DH decided not to pursue since it would have be very difficult to prove plus the price of about a month of PD work would have been expensive.  

If SD is still getting mail, had possessions, and is sleeping at BM's some of the time it will be very hard to prove she is emancipated.  Does ss13 know for sure SD isn't living there at all?  Did she really move out and is BM still supporting her?  If BM is still using CS to suppor her then i don't believe she is emancipated.  What are the criteria for emancipation in your state? When my daughter was 16 and yelling that she wanted to be emancipated I got all the paperwork for her. She had to have a job making so much money; have a residence, or be married. 

If you can you may want to do a little, as my lawyer calls it "discovery" for yourself. It will be cheaper and you may get answers you need.