You are here

Meddling Mother In Law

Neesi's picture

Been with my husband now for 11yrs. My bio children are grown and on there own. Together we have one daughter whom is my 14 yr old step-daughter. I have been in her life since she was 4 yrs old. Her bio mother abandon her when she was around 10 yrs. previous to the abandonment me and my husband had her on weekends that increased as her own bio mom wanted to more freedom from motherhood. My husbands mother, my mother in law has no other goal in life than to devote herself to her children and grandchildren. If not for them shed live a lonely life by her choice. She currently has her 45 year old son living with her and happily enables that. When I married my husband I made a choice to be a second mom and for several years I tried to create a happy family environment for me, my husband and SD. However, if my SD did not want to be made to clean her room she would complain to mom and grandma and of course I'm mean. Then grandma would come pick her up and SD would not have any consequences for not following through. At age 12 SD was allowed to disrespect me and call me names like jerk with no consequence. Every single time SD misbehaved dad and Meddling mother in law would shield her from consequence. I started to feel like I was a rotten person for asking the SD to keep her room clean. I turned in my resignation of Step Mom. Even so... SD is still under my roof and so inhale no where to get away. It got worse...she's 14 now allowed to stay up all night watch tv play computer games and do what she wants. Her room stinks, she stinks (hygiene), and she's been failing in school for years now. But she does well at soccer that is the prime focus for dad and grandma and never mind about manners, responsibility, school, ethics or morals. SD is in control now and she knows it. She has learned the art of lying and manipulating which is not hard for her with dad and grandma. SD will lie to get her way and many of those lies are about me. Even her dad acknowledged she was making stuff up but still no consequences! But here I am seeing all this going on and affecting my relationship with my husband to where this is the third time I've considered divorce. Mother in law influences her son, my husband that his daughter, my SD, comes before anything including me. Mother in law guilt trips my husband reminding him she has no mother. Um...no comment. My husband does not think for himself. Just this year he had not taken me on a single date in over six months because his mom and him spent every weekend at soccer practice and events with my SD leaving no quality time for us. If I so much as look at my SD my husband starts treating me like I out to get her. Um... Try the other way around! I can't go another 4 years like this... Or my worst fear that she will never get out on her own because they don everything for her...I'm not kidding...she drank out of a training dippy cup until 11 at her grandmas and 14 now...her grandma brushes her hair for her because she does not know how! So I need advice plezzz. I strongly suspect the next coming 4 teen years will only get worse. And then what if she never moves out! Dad will never support shoving her out of the nest. Keep in mind his role model mother still has my husbands brother 45 living with her. She has created co dependency with all 3 of her grown boys. A few times I seperated from my husband he moved back in with mom...couldn't do it on his own.

furkidsforme's picture

The OP obviously gets that and clearly states she stopped trying to be any kind of parent.

But now she is in a household where a 14 yo spoiled brat with no boundaries has been unleashed upon her.

Stormyweather's picture

What you are describing is a form of abuse. Its referred to as parental infantilism whereby the parents continue to baby their growing and developing adolescent....creating a young women who is developmentally younger in their chronological years and is stunted in their growth - personally and emotionally. Your SD is learning and identifying with some weird shit behaviour and is creating a narcissist or a mini wife for sure.

Im sorry, I don't anticipate this is going to end well for you. Do your research; empower and prepare yourself for your future I'd say without your DH (even if its to prove a point that you refuse to continue to pander to her tantrum and disrespectful ways. I doubt he will care what you think or don't think as he has his mother supporting him and she has done the same to him raising him as she is now doing to her SD. To him this is "normal" behaviour. Very dysfunctional Sad

twoviewpoints's picture

You do realize, right that this MIL is who she has always been? Your DH is also who he has always been. He's a little boy in a man's body and both MIL and DH are happy as little larks exactly the way things are. You are the one who is unhappy and thinks there is a problem.

This didn't just start 4yrs ago when the child's BM abandoned the girl and DH/you received SD in your home 24/7. No. That's just when you started to pay attention and began to really notice it. No MIL has this much control and influence or her adult son unless she's had it all along. MIL has raised her sons to all be this way. She's doing nothing different with the granddaughter than she did with her sons. You're fighting a losing battle doing this all on her own (trying to make them change). You're very correct in that if you left tomorrow the child and your DH would simply move in with MIL and their life would go happily right along.

The only thing that would stand a hope in hell of turning things around in all this would be for your DH to go for professional indepth therapy to learn that his life style is not healthy for him or for his child. Not only will he lose his marriage and wife, he will continue to raise his daughter to be a dysfunctional adult dependent on him just as his mother has done to him. He has to recognize there is a problem and he has to want to reach out and change it for himself...but he isn't going to. He's happy in his life and sees you as the party pooper that is making troubles.

You have a lot of thinking to do for herself. Perhaps a go place to start for you would be going and seeking counseling for yourself to find why you remain in this situation. You've thought of divorcing three times now yet you haven't. You left once yet you came right back. You need to review as to why you continue living this life with these people who make you so miserable. Why you continue to hope some magic wand is going to change it all.

You're better than this. You deserve better than this. You can't change or fix a whole family who are quite happy in the way they are...it's time to look out for you and to seek your own happiness.

furkidsforme's picture

OP, READ THIS 1,000 TIMES.

Really. This is the meat and bones of what is happening here. You can't change this. Only DH can, and it sounds like for 10 years he hasn't wanted to. I doubt that will change now.

Get yourself into counseling to find out why you tolerate this. It's sick, honestly.

SweetMom's picture

I don't answer the door or phone calls with my mother n law. She tried to make a scene during Christmas about it about me not answering door and she saw me through the window. I just blew her off and said I thought it was neighbor.

Neesi's picture

I am very greatful for all the time each of you spent reading and replying. I felt so alone, but not anymore. Each post was very helpful in helping me both emotionally and mentally. I know now I need to make some changes. Thank you so very much.

Neesi's picture

I am very greatful for all the time each of you spent reading and replying. I felt so alone, but not anymore. Each post was very helpful in helping me both emotionally and mentally. I know now I need to make some changes. Thank you so very much.