You are here

KISSING ON THE LIPS...UGH!!

sad2012's picture

Does anyone else think it is strange or weird to be kissing your kids on the lips??

My skids are ss17, ss13 and sd8 and he kisses all of them right smack on the lips to where you hear the "smack" of the impact of the lip lock! UGH!! I am all about showing affection, etc., but SERIOUSLY???

RedWingsFan's picture

Yeah I don't get that.

SD14 was attached in a super unhealthy way to DH when I first met them when she was 12. After I pointed out to DH on several occasions that they were displaying inappropriate behavior for a father/daughter (holding hands fingers interlaced, spooning on the floor, her sitting on his lap, etc) he saw it and cut that shit out. They never kissed on the lips though, which would have disgusted me!

sad2012's picture

The SD is always wrapping her arms around DH like is he is going to run away...looks up at him and says "I love you daddy"...ugh! SS13 is always putting his hands on his back, arm etc....we have them 50% of the time, so its not like they do not see much of him...just gets under my skin! I have been disengaging anyway, so I really do not see much of it anymore.

c-mom's picture

Uh... are you being sarcastic or are you just REAALLY jealous? What is wrong with a child hugging their dad and saying "I love you, daddy."? Isn't it good that she loves him versus not loving him? Big difference between your jealousy and the original posters actual concern.

Peaches1973's picture

You dont have to be jealous to see that needing to hang all over Daaaaaddddyyyy all the time is an obvious power play.Affection is a good thing-the way these skids act is not normal,its manipulative and needy.
Big difference.

RedWingsFan's picture

^^^^I agree. My SD14 didn't hang all over daddy until daddy started dating. There's obvious jealousy on HER part, wanting to keep dadddddddy all to herself and pushing herself into a mini-wife type role.

PeanutandSons's picture

I think its ok for really little kids. But once they hit like 6 years old, I go for the "tv kiss" off to the side or on the cheek.

But I do kiss bs3 on the lips still (quick peck)..... But I've never kissed the skids on the lips.

hismineandours's picture

I know that my fil used to kiss my sil on the lips all the way up to her late teen years. I dont know if he still does as I avoid both of them like the plague. Of course, they're a bunch of freaks.

hismineandours's picture

Every time I witnessed it I'd say, "Eww gross that's disgusting!" quite loudly. Then I might add, "People are going to think you are some sort of child molester!" Again said quite loudly in front of the children. Perhaps it you cant get him to get the idea that its weird and gross you can at least impress upon the children how bizarre it is and how other children would definitely make fun of them if they knew about it.

sad2012's picture

SS17 has a girlfriend...the other two are too young for relationships, but way too old to be kissing "Daddy" on the lips!

scarpetta's picture

My husband kisses my stepdaughters on the lips and it grosses me out. He's not even that affectionate with me and I'm his wife! For a while my stepdaughters would turn their heads when he did it, but once they found it that these displays of innappropriate affection disturbed me, they started relishing it. GROSS!!

c-mom's picture

This bothers my DH REALLY bad. Like really bad. I was raised in a family where this was normal. We kissed parents and grandparents on the lips. Now that I am grown, I see my husband's point in it, but it is so ingrained in me that I catch myself doing this still. There is absolutely nothing sexual about it. Trust me, my father sexually abused me and I still didn't see anything sexual in it. It came from my mom's side of the family and I know other families that do this. Not saying it is right, or even wrong per say, but just that this is normal for a lot of families. If it bothers you so badly, and it isn't out of jealousy, just talk to your hubby. And you can always point out what my DH pointed out which is why he doesn't like it, the spread of germs. But no, he and his kids aren't having fantasies about it. This is just how some families express their love for one another and know that it may take some time to change it, if he is open to changing.

tiredandfrustrated's picture

I had no problem kissing my BS5 and BS3 on the lips when they were really little, but now that they're bigger it grosses me out. AND THEY WON'T STOP. I try to turn my head before they do it but sometimes they get me anyway. Now my SS tries it too. Ewwww!!! Sorry, but I didn't give birth to him so it grosses me out even more than my own kids. And DH sees no problem with all of us kissing each other on the lips. He thinks it's cute. Ugh. Maybe I should start making a big deal out of it so it will stop?

Kilgore SMom's picture

My SS7 kisses me and DH on the lips. They are a very huggy, kissy family. Mine not so much. When I took SS for his first day of 2nd grade. He kissed me bye. Then looked up and saw older boys coming down the hall and wiped my kiss off. LOL. So I think I'll be getting less of those. Sometimes SS is just being lovely he'll come sit in my lap and I rub his back and he'll give me a kiss and run go play. Its becoming less often. I think that is a sign of him getting older. Not sure how I'd feel if he was older????

cant win for losin's picture

OMG!!!!! I thought and felt ALL these years it was just ME! I seriously thought it was another one of my weird "quirks" I don't kiss ANYONE except fdh on the lips. Of course when my bios were babies and young toddlers I kissed them on the lips, but I cannot remember what age I started moving to the very side of the mouth. As the years are passing for me it is getting even harder to kiss on the sides. If I do have to give kisses hello or goodbye, (which we do in my family along with hugs) it is soo quick for me. I'm sure the person picks up on the fact that I don't want to kiss them.

I have always felt bad, even worse on my for my own bios that I have this issue. Sad

Once again, this site has helped me to feel normal and ok for doing what I do, or don't do and feeling the way I do.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

So it's weird, creepy and excessive to cuddle with your kids, hug yours kids more than what...once a day, and now kiss your children on the lips? Wow.

Orange County Ca's picture

Once a kid lives through a divorce they see early on that relationships are fragile. Once they thought that parents were always there and always would be and one day it all collapses.

Some kids deal with it by doing anything and everything they can to make sure their parents are needed by them. Of course inappropriate behavoir is cause for you to comment to your husband but understand where the kids are coming from.

WTHDISUF's picture

That's a bit weird-- esp for the boys. I just don't see well-adjusted normal teens being willing to do that. I could see cheek kisses and hugs but the rest seems like immature displays of affection, like some kind of arrested development stuff.

I'd ask him if he felt there'd be some other options to show affection like unique handshakes, air kisses, something of that nature. I am not suggesting he's a pervert with any malicious intent towards his kids but there are some adults who have inappropriate displays of affections and invasion of personal space with others because they were never taught boundaries and what's respectable in that regard. If they go out of the home being uber-touchy-feely with people and offering up too many kisses and hair touching and such, they may put off even their friends. Maybe this is just between Dad and them but to me it just indicates some kind of blurred boundaries or immaturity.

unbelieveable's picture

YES!!!!! FMIL AND FFIL CONSTANTLY KISS THE GIRLS ON THE LIPS!!! IT'S SOOOO GROSS!!! One day sd10 who CLEARLY has issues - wrapped her hands around his head - and kissed him RREEAALLL SLOWLY on the LIPS! IT WAS SO NASTY! And not once..twice...but three kisses in one! I threw a FIT and told them NO MORE KISSING ON THE LIPS! CHEEKS ONLY! So now when sd8 tries to dodge the lips - he says, "fine - I don't want a kiss then" and gives her a rough time! It's so creepy uncomfortable and disgusting - even FMIL drags the kisses out? WTF? WHYYYYY?????

New second wife-step-mom's picture

I kissed my little (under 4) kids on the lips but stopped when someone told me they thought it was weird. I just didn't want to be thought of as teaching my children strange habits and I wouldn't want them to think they could kiss just anyone like that. It is reserved for someone special, imho.

My kids are grown and if we accidently kiss on the lips we are both grossed out. It is on the cheek or forehead now.

I was one of those parents that allowed my children of all ages to come into my bedroom and lay on top of the bed while we talked or watched a movie together. Even right before they moved out for college or after they came home for the summer we would do this occassionally.

I wasn't married and did not think of it as weird just a bonding time. Most of the time we would talk and they would open up and tell me what was going on in their lives. Up until I married DH my kids knew they were always welcome to knock first and come in and have a conversation.

stone1215's picture

this is my 2 cents . i have raised my girls since they were 4 , 3 , and 1 years old . they are now 20 , 19 , and 16 . if anyone has seen the car commercial where the dad is talking to his 5 year old who is in the driver seat about driver safety . then the next scene the daughter is 18 . that is how dads feel .

for many dads one of the worse days in our lives is the day our little girl stops kissing us on the lips . we know that the reason they stop is because they are kissing boys and kissing on the lips has become a sexual thing for them . for dads it is the begining of us no longer being superman to our little girls . we know that our little girls who looked at us with amazement , love , and made us feel like we were their whole world is changing into a woman who will change our whole relationship . to us she will always be our little girl , but to her we will never again be her daddy .

the kissing on the lips for me at least is a way to let her know that she will always be my little girl and also to let her know that even though she is becoming a woman her lips will always be the kiss of my little girl to me .

so what i guess im trying to say is we just really miss our little girl and try to hold on to anything we can .

NMO's picture

Stone, I LOVE what you said! My Daddy always kissed me on the lips and I him, until the day he died, and I was in my 50's then.

I believe a lot of these habits come from families. My folks are from Europe, and I think that kissing on the lips is more common there. (Just my 2 cents worth.)

Thanks Stone for sharing your feelings with us. You daughters are lucky to have you for a Daddy, as I was to have mine. <3

Stepped in what momma's picture

I kiss my granny and gramps on the lips when I say good bye. They are my favorite people and I love them, when my mom was alive I used to kiss her on the lips when saying hello or bye. I think each family dynamic is different, to each his own.

notsobad's picture

I still kiss my Mom on the lips.

I think it sucks the way that we have sexulalized everything!

AshMar654's picture

I did not read all these. I think it is a generational thing too. My Grandmother 81 and my SO's parents in their 60's do this like all the time. My mom and grandmother still kiss on the lips and she tries with my but I turn my head. My SO's parents do it with my future SS and SS8 tries to kiss me on the lips sometimes but I turn my head. I think it varies in families and everyone is so different. I do not think there is anything creepy or gross about a little peck if that is what you are use to and is the norm in the family dynamic. I really think older generations do it more.

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

A guy kissing his SEVENTEEN year old SON on the LIPS?

Yeah, that's beyond weird.

Tuff Noogies's picture

ew - just MHO. no one in my family on ANY side ever kissed on the lips, regardless of age. actually, none of the adults in my family kiss ANYONE except their spouses. as children, we kissed our parents goodnight and goodbye, but that was it.

dh kisses the boys goodbye, on the top of the head. i could not imagine him kissing lurch on the lips, it even grosses him out to see an adult kiss a baby or toddler on the mouth.

secret's picture

Videotape it and show it to them.

They might think it's sweet to kiss their 17 year old daughter on the lips....and the intention might by nothing but sweet... however looking at it from an outsider's perspective, where they can actually SEE it.... well, it's looks really pervy. Because it's intimate. Too intimate.

Cooooookies's picture

My motto to my dying day: LIPS ARE FOR LOVERS!

Period end of no exception.

Now I really think it depends how you've grown up and what might be 'normal' in your family/region/country. Fair enough but regardless it just makes my skin crawl.

To each their own but my vote: :sick: