You are here

Hooorrraaaayyyy NO MORE CHILD SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!

DISbelief's picture

So I met with BM last night...

It went really well... at first she wanted to go to court about CS. FH has been pretty much out of work for 2 years...(self employed in a HORRIBLE economy) I have been paying her up until 3 months ago. I stopped. She gets Unemployment, food stamps medical and WIC... WAY more than FH makes. He is not eligible for unemployment... and we have been supporting her to sit at home and do nothing while on her 3rd extention with unemployment. I started talking to her about everything FH has prepared to do IF it ends up in court, she would have to pay HIM... and all of the documention he has to support getting full LEGAL custody, as well as going for more time. I talked to her about her drug use, and keeping SS out of harmful situations. She was very receptive, and we actually had a very productive conversation. She is scared to go to court, she knows that she has a slim chance of winning, or even of maintaining the 50% she has now. She tried to get an attorney pro bono, and couldn't because her case isn't strong enough... she wanted to take us to court for legal custody, but after she "thought about it" she decided that she probably wouldn't win because of her track record with SS's schools. She is a little smarter than I gave her credit for. She usually has no problem dragging anyone and everyone to court and convinces herself that there is NO WAY she can lose... and she always does, lose that is..SO by the end of our meeting we agreed to do away with child support completely. No one pays anything. And we talked about going to family counseling... still on the fence about that. I mean we really got to the root of a lot of issues that have been left unresolved for 5 years. I am extremely happy I met with her. We both left that meeting smiling and having lighthearted conversation. It was healthy, it was long over due... it was good. FH still wants to take her to court for custody. I asked him to give her a chance to prove herself (again). When she has the fear of God in her, she is a much better mom. We will see how long it lasts... hopefully it sticks this time.

Anon2009's picture

And I hope for everyone's sake (including BM's and especially SS's) that it works out this time. Maybe the conversation the two of you was just what the doctor ordered.

Anon2009's picture

i just realized i double-posted my comment, sorry!

DISbelief's picture

well maybe you do. It is strange... BM and I have something of a twisted relationship. MOST of the time we are good, I have my opinions about her lifestlye but really I come here and vent it to you gals (and guys) and let it rest. It's about twice a year that we get into a huge blow out ALWAYS when the kids start school... and usually somewhere around the holidays. So I knew it was coming. And for some strange reason (call it Karma?) the end result of these blow outs ALWAYS results in our favor! This time very obviously in our favor... It always works out in the end for us. Now, I am going to finish up my wedding... and live happily ever after... Hey.. a girl can dream, right???!! Wink

DISbelief~

~You have to BE crazy to UNDERSTAND crazy!~ ; )

Most Evil's picture

Can you get this in writing, stat?!

William Shakespeare, "Antony and Cleopatra", Act 2 scene 2

DISbelief's picture

we are meeting on Friday so it can be signed by everyone!!!

DISbelief~

NotsoHappyNewlywed's picture

Good for you. It's great that you are even able to have decent conversations with BM.
It's usually better that way..I wish me and my BM could get along, it would make things so much easier for everyone!

Harleygal's picture

I'm glad she agreed to this, but what if she decides to backslide? The court documents still state FH is to pay child support right? I think I would run it through an attorney just in case and have them file it in court. I'm big on CYA, you know?

I'm glad you guys have SS as much as you do. Sounds like BM isn't capable.

DISbelief's picture

Was a written agreement that they threw into the divorce documents. The judge signed off on it. We did go see a lawyer and by her signing that she waived court ordered child support, and we are going to do it the same way this time. Do a modification of order, and have it signed by the judge.... my ex and I did the same thing. I don't ask for child support.

DISbelief~

Anon2009's picture

we decided to do a few things. We:

a) decided to treat skids to a nice meal just for the heck of it

and

b) I used all the extra cash we now had to buy DH a motorcycle! He loves it, and so do the SDs!

DISbelief's picture

We didn't pay anywhere NEAR $1000/ month, and I am grateful for NOT having to do so anymore! Not only financially, but for my own peace of mind. I HATED writing that check everymonth. Made me sick to my stomach. It has felt so good to NOT pay it to her... and even better knowing it is over!

Good luck to you!

DISbelief~

DISbelief's picture

We were paying out of FH's $0/ year income... self employment ain't all its cracked up to be in this economy... and finding a regualr job is just impossible. So gour household income consists of MY $56,000/ year... and I live in Southern Cali... cost of living is NOT cheap, can't move cause of the kids... its a no win situation. Oi!

When I met with BM I explained to her why I have NEVER asked my ex for child support. It was like I was speaking a foriegn language to her. She just doesn't understand that by ME taking money from HIM everymonth, I would be making my girls suffer when they are with HIM, which is 50% of the time. I just don't think it is right. 50/50... we have our lives, he has his... and we call it even. If he is successful and becomes a millionaire (which is highly unlikely) Then GOOD FOR HIM! And my girls will live a completely different life over there... and if I am in the poor house, and can't afford to buy them wonderful things... then that is not his problem either. It just seems like the right and fair thing to do! It's not like we were married for 20 years and my kids are used to ONE lifestyle, they were 1 and 2 when we split up.

DISbelief~

DISbelief's picture

Call me in 14 years, I will petition with you!! I need another trip to NY anyways, its been a while!

DISbelief~

DISbelief's picture

You might be on your own on that one BUT I'll drive the get away car!

DISbelief~