You are here

Is this extreme spooning??

fairyo's picture

It is almost 14 weeks since I left the X. Things have gone pretty smoothly- the house sold, and I have finally cleared all my things from there in anticipation of the sale going through in the next few weeks. All along the X and I have exchanged business like and sensible e-mails.

Now he has messaged me asking if I have his grand-daughter's spoon??? WTF???? She is 11 years old!! I did take the cutlery used by my grandkids because I bought it for them even though they have (almost) outgrown it. Some of it is silver and I may keep it anyway. However, I have no recollection of his grand-daughter's spoon as she was three years old when I fist met him!

I have written back to say if he can tell me what the spoon looks like I will return it. But... why????

I have one metal spoon with an elephant on- should I just shove it in an envelope and send it him? 

Or, am I just allowing him to wind me up and the best thing would be to ignore it?

I'm very flabbergasted!

lorlors's picture

Unless it is Diamond encrusted or of significant sentimental value. Doesn’t sound like it though, considering you aren’t even sure which spoon he is referring to. I’d be hitting delete on that email.

Kes's picture

If they have outgrown it, and you bought it in the first place, then it's fair enough you keep it, imo.  I hope he's not going to turn into a facsimile of NPD BM, who not only didn't let DH take bits and pieces from their joint marital home, the few bits and pieces he did manage to take, she mostly asked for back.  One awful rickety old pine chest of drawers, that I had replaced all the damaged and missing handles with new brass ones, she asked for it back a few years ago.  I said, just get it out of my house I don't give a sh!t.  

One time, when I had just started seeing DH and he was living in a small rented flat, she came to the door, reached in and grabbed a small framed print off the wall, saying "That's mine" (it wasn't).  The only things we still have that DH took when he left were one chest of drawers and a very old sideboard.  

fairyo's picture

The taking and leaving of joint items has all been very amicable so far, hence my surprise at the message this morning. I feel it is all his DD's work- see comment below. She is finding it very hard to get me out of her head....and he is still obeying her every command. Feel sorry for the pair of them...

fairyo's picture

After thinking about this a while I now realise this is stamped with XOSD's signature. She really can find nothing to nail me with except the possible theft of a possible spoon I was never aware existed (I spend so much time thinking about spoons in my daily life, as does she it seems!)

I have thought of sending a spoon every day to her home with no postage paid, but that really is just a fantasy. It is odd that I finally de-friended her on Facebook this morning (she has been blocked by me for years!) and then this message comes almost immediately afterwards? 

Not so odd though, that she has probably messaged the X demanding that spoon and instead of saying, 'What f****ing spoon?' he has said, 'yes my little princess who gave birth to another princess I shall get on to Fairyo straight away and demand that spoon back!!'  Ye Gods and little fishes... to think people like this inhabit the same planet as me...

notasm3's picture

“No”

That is a sufficient answer. 

fairyo's picture

Indeed- I've free of all that poop (at least I'll be completely free once the keys are handed over-sometimes I have to remember I have a lot of money still tied up in those walls!)  so thanks for the reminder folks- now I'm just off to clean some spoons...

marblefawn's picture

You're shocking me!!!!!! That poor girl is STARVING without that damn spoon!!!!! How could you??? ROFL

I hope you're getting some satisfaction knowing a phantom spoon is all SD can find to nag you about! And the fact that she's nagging your ex to nag you is soooo precious! A double gift to you! I gotta give it to you -- you know how to make a clean break!

Don't send them a damn thing. Nothing is worse than being ignored. Let your final message to them be SILENCE!
I'm glad things are going smoothly. You've worked hard to get here. I bet your Count Chocula will taste great off that tiny spoon Smile

twoviewpoints's picture

This post made me laugh. His granddaughter's spoon? Yelp, yep, that clears things up. 

Er, what spoon? Does the Princess have a description of it? Lol. 

Meh, don't worry about it. I could see if it were to be a 'special' spoon engraved especially for the child, but it appears he's talking some generic spoon for babies/toddlers/and eleven year olds ,Lol. 

I have Nesquik, the Nestle Quik rabbit spoon from about 1970 from when I was a kid. Lol, just about your ex's granddaughter's now age. My grandmother got it for , what else? Stirring my sister's and my Nestle Quik into our glasses of milk. It's long for stirring in glasses with Nesquik on top. 

Yeah, I took it from grandma's draw when we were cleaning out her home after her death. My second child was about two years old then with my son already six. I brought it home as it was take it or toss it in the estate sale stuff. All my kids have used it and all my grandkids too. Now it will just sit in my drawer until great-grands arrive , or until, I suppose I pass and my kids clean out my house and toss it into their pocket or the estate sale stuff. 

Ignore the email. 

I'm sorry he's bothering you with such petty little things. What's next? The blankie his granddaughter used when she spent the night? 

Don't let them get to you. You've come so far in the last few months and it's been a hard long journey for you. Delete the email and onward march .... there's peace and happiness ahead. 

Cover1W's picture

Oh man my ex was REALLY MAD when I took a bunch of the herbs and spices when I moved out. Incensed!  I was like, he never cooks, WTF? A friend pointed out that he was likely grasping at straws to keep contact. 

Sadly I caved and replaced some of them, at which he merely shrugged. Yes, he was also a jerk.

fairyo's picture

I was once in a relationship with another man who was going through divorce- he made a lot of fuss about a pepper grinder that he'd bought and she still had.  It seems to me then when some couples break up- the petty stuff rises to the surface. I think he was grasping at those straws, and I think the he was still holding a big candle for her, which is why we spilt up. Luckily we never lived together or shared possessions.

fairyo's picture

Petty indeed- which is why I think XOSD was behind it- he hasn't replied to my e-mail saying I would return it if he could identify it. He is trying to demonise me to justify his cruel and unwarranted behaviour- but it won't work. Pettiness is not in my nature...

MoominMama's picture

It's spoon wars or ... Spoongate. Seriously, he is just trying to draw you into conflict and being sh***y over nothing. 

fairyo's picture

Well I ain't playing- I feel embarrassed for having given nine years of my life to this idiot...