You are here

Do You Live with Jekyll and Hyde? SS? BM? DH?

TheOtherMom's picture

DH is a bit like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Jekyll is the sweet guy that loves being a Dad, is secure in his position in life, and is well rounded and socially acceptable. Hyde on the other hand is moody, insecure, makes stupid irrational statements, and lets his fear consume him thus making him illogical and unbearable to be around.
Sadly, I think SS11 is developing this problem too ...

Luckily, Jekyll is more prevalent than Hyde until THIS time of year rolls around.

The kids are about to go to BM's for the summer. DH lets fear consume him and the negative pile of poop that ensues is just maddening.

I am wondering how many others deal with this mentality and how do you cope?

staying calm's picture

I have not delt with this personally, but I can tell you what i have read on the issue....this happens often and comes from a mix of emotions. Guilt, Fear, and sadness. Dad's probably feeling a heavy dose of all of these things right now, Guilt that he won't be around for his kids this summer, Fear that they might go to BM's and never want to come back, and Sadness that they're leaving! I'm sure these are really hard to handle as a SM, they aren't our kids right?! So there really aren't any emotions like that for us,(Maybe a little excitement though at having the place all to yourselves and no kids!) So maybe Dad needs to be cut a little slack, or maybe he needs to get over it and shape up. What do I know, but I'll bet for all the crappy moods you put up with until they leave, he'll find ways to make up for it! OR you'd better make him!

TheOtherMom's picture

You are a saint my dear. I have too much pride to be loving "in return" so I get snotty and it ends up being used against me. Is this something I will learn by the time I am 35? I am 31 now and it's not looking too promising.