You are here

Is BM Entitled to DH's Health Care?

TheOtherMom's picture

This is not a question about whether or not you health care reform. This is about how DH might feel some pain due to changes in Health Care.

Currently, the skids are covered under DH's health care and now, due to the reform, they will be covered until they are 23 if they go to college full time and "reside" at home. I don't mind this at all.

BM does not have health care. Her child with BF is covered under BF health care but she is not since they are not married. She told DH yesterday that she is covered under DH because 1. She still has same last name and unless she marries BF, always will be 2. Is the biomom to the boys 3. Doesn't have health care and has to be covered. The thought of this woman still being taken care of by DH makes me SICK.

I did some research online and haven't found much to help substantiate this.

Does anyone know if there is any water to this?

*** SKIP THIS IF YOU DON"T WANT TO HEAR MY RANT ABOUT WHY HEALTH CARE IS IMPORTANT *** When I was 19, I needed to be on birth control and also had serious ovarian pain/problems. In California, even though I only earned $6k a year and lived on my college scholarship, somehow I did not qualify for state provided health care. I also had to go to the hospital for an incident related to the ovarian pain and ended up with a $900 debt collection. Long story short: I know what it is like to be without health care so I am for it. I have the military's health care now and my family is taken care of but I live in a city with a lot of people who do not have health care and I pay $4k a year in property tax just to offset the emergency room visits people abuse so they can get meds for a head cold ... *** THAT IS ALL ****

I am confused's picture

No she isn't entitled to his coverage. Not now or under the new laws. If they're in the process of a divorce she's entitled to stay on his insurance until the divorce is final. I'm in the healthcare industry and I can assure you she's full of shit.

TheOtherMom's picture

Oh thank you! But how is she getting her health care taken care of under him?
They have been divorced for over 6 years. Can she use the children to get a visit to the doctor?

Jsmom's picture

If the divorce is final she has no coverage. He needs to call his healthcare provider and verify that she is not getting coverage. All he has to do is send a copy of the divorce decree and she is not getting the coverage. If she has been, they will go after her legally for reimbursement. He needs to make that call. If nothing else, they have to make a note in his file.

Personally, I am against the plan. I think that it is wrong to have to pay for these kids past 21. What inentive do they have to get a job? Also, I don't want my coverage to change because of this plan and it will. Also, I had to pay for coverage myself for 5 years after my husband died. There are plans available, people just need to be proactive to find them. I will get off my soap box now.

JustAnotherSM's picture

All 3 of BM's statements are true, but that in no way entitles her to insurance coverage under your DH's policy. Insurance coverage is for self, spouse and dependents.

iwishyouwould's picture

Is your H's EX-WIFE entitled to his health insurance because she has his last name, is the mother of his kids, or because she cant get it on her own??? HAHAHA!!!!.... Nope. Tell her to shut up and then tell her where to stick it. Smile

dguiwh2334's picture

I'm not gonna start a quarell here, so please don't think that LOL.. First, NO she is NOT entitled to it. My aunt does this work, as soon as that paper is signed, BM or EW is off!!! She will have to get her own, and definatly make the phone call, she can get into some serious trouble.. 2nd about the insurance covering kids till 23 or whichever.. The only thing I'm gonna say, is I wish some laws were different. I am 23 and this year I had my hysterectomy, because I live in my own home, not with my father and wasn't in school at the time, I lost my dads insurance, and it not only scared me when I lost it, but it terrified my dad. I had many health issues, one after another, expensive ones.. And my father didn't want to see me struggeling and spending every penny I made at work trying to pay all my visits, labs, hospital bills and medications... I got bluecross before my surgery.. Everything went thru, I'm thinking, awesome, I can now have my surgery and be rid of my chronic sickness and pain.. Well, come to find out after I was approved for surgery, and had it, BCBS calls and says they didn't cover my surgery.. Yep, so now I owe close to 30,000 in hospital fees, on top off the 7,000 I already owed prior to surgery. My dad is soooo pissed about the insurance stuff. He thinks as long as he wants to keep me under his plan, he should be able too.. In my defense, I do work full time and tried to get my own insurance, but it wasn't as good as my dads. If I had a child with as many health conditions that I had, I would want my child to have my healthcare if it would help them.. That's all Smile

TheOtherMom's picture

I am so sorry to hear that. I don't understand how the insurance can do that to you? It seems unethical ...

I am confused's picture

Blue Cross comes across as the good guys, but they're really slimeballs. They are "not for profit" but in the state of Texas alone, ON TOP OF the reserves they legally have to keep to pay 18 months worth of claims even if they never got another dime in payments, they have nearly 5 BILLION (with a Dirol in "excess reserves". They have over a dozen employees who make a million dollars or more a year. They quite literally have people whose only job is to find a nitpick way to deny a claim. And I'm talking things like "paper claim with signature in blue ink instead of black" and bullshit similar to that. I had a claim that they screwed me out of the money on that you wouldn't believe and is too long to go into here, but suffice it to say our patient quit BCBS after the whole thing went down. Totally legitimate claim that they lied, cheated, and stole to keep from paying.

Health insurance companies are the long arm of the devil.

sweetthing's picture

I am really sorry to hear you had to have a hysterectomy at such a young age. Can BCBS do that to you after the fact?

dguiwh2334's picture

Sweetthing, supposedly they are using the "pre-exsisting condition" bullcrap against me! I'm so pissed. I feel like its absolutly...I don't even know the words lol.. NOT RIGHT! I had endometriosis for 7 years! I tried everything they offered to "help" it, it only got worse. I had mulitple laproscopic surgeries, which only help momentarily. The endo also got into my bowels (fun) so not only did I have the chronic pain from the endo, I also has chroni nausea! Yippee. I'm talking every day! I would end up vomiting and sitting on the toilet as well(u know lol) it was horrible.. So after years of battleing that and going to the hospital at least once a month from dehydration, I was diagnosed with stage one ovarian cancer...ugh.. So I finally made the very difficult decision for a complete hysterectomy.. Then BOOM, I get stuck with a huge bill. Why? Oh right, cause I had this horrible debilitating disease...

iwishyouwould's picture

I am married, and have a different last name from my father but because i am under 25 and a student i am still covered on his plan - It has absolutely nothing to do with names or anything like that. My father supports us about 60%, because H and I are both full time college students (that's my dad, he says as long as we're in school, he is GOING to help and he wants to get us to a point that we can support ourselves, not just make ends meet, and do a damn good job of it LOL) . but the point of that ramble was that I had to sign a bunch of cobra forms after i got married so my dad could "re-add" me onto the insurance; i asked him many many times if he could claim H and ss as dependents on taxes or put them on his health insurance (he has paid a few very expensive doctors bills) but he says that it doesnt work that way - he would have to adopt H or ss... i dont know.. its all complicated but your H's ex has nothing to do with him legally any more, at least not in that department.

TheOtherMom's picture

No! It's okay because I learned something new!
I learned about "pre-clauses" and such ...

TheOtherMom's picture

I just got off the phone with our insurance company. They sent her a bill I think and that is why she brought this up.
They didn't get the divorce decree or anything showing he was divorced until many years after they divorced. DH told her she was no longer entitled but she continued to push the envelope.
Long story short, she must have received a bill backdating to 2004 (when they got divorced) saying she now owes all the money.
Thanks everyone for your input. I feel relieved to know the little sponge was getting over but everything caught up in the end.

dguiwh2334's picture

Yippee Smile good for you! She has no reason to get his benefits anymore!
As for my thing, a friend of mine actually works on the board for BCBS, and I told her and my insurance agent about my disorder, They said as long as you haven't had anything done in the last 6 months havind to do with the endo, you will be fine! I'm thinking, ok awesome, I hadn't had a laproscopic surgery in almost a year, and the only thing I was going to the dr for was my depo shot (supposedly to help with endo but it is mainly a birth control shot) so..ok, I'm in the clear!! NOT... Well when my Dr called BCBS for an OK for the surgery, BCBS said we didn't need an OK, it was covered under MY insurance.. So, we did the surgery...
Then when I got the phone call saying it wasn't covered, I was LIVID to say the least! That surgery was no joy ride, it was extremely painful, and now I'm on my lovely meopausal roller coaster cause I have no insurance to go to the dr like I'm supposed to for my hormone replacement therapy. AHHHHHH

dguiwh2334's picture

Dorothyparker, yes I had an agent, and he was an ass... I still have all his info.. Monday I have to go to my dr to fill out some form so they can look at my med records.. Its still bullshit! Me and my dads biggest thing "why do I get left out cause I have a pre-existing condition?" And let me say this, and I don't want to offend anyone.. But I know people who live off the system solely and get healthcare, and they have not one health issue.. But for someone like me, who actually NEEDS insurance to get thru a day, is DENIED cause I have a disease? Oh wait, " a pre-exsisiting condition"? Seriously?? This is what fires up me and my dad... And the other day BCBS was playing a commercial, all these ppl were throwin out statements about why BCBS is sooo amazing, then a spokesperson came on and said something about how BCBS is number one cause they don't deny ppl based on PE conditions!!! I flipped off my tv and told that tv spokesperson to f*ck off! LOL, at least it made my BF laugh, but come on!! Ppl need insurance..

justbdais's picture

You mentioned that you have the military's health care now. If your H is enlisted the best place to make sure she isn't still being covered is to have your H make sure her name is no longer in the DEERS database. If she is then he needs to bring the divorce papers and have her removed immediately.

TheOtherMom's picture

That is EXACTLY what happened. Clerical error in the DEERS - the S1 fat fingered the divorce date ...
He never noticed until he renewed his ID card. Then they removed her and she was making her annual exams etc. Recently I guess she got the bill back dating to the divorce.

I am confused's picture

Right but only if that was part of the settlement. I have never seen it continue after the divorce was final. It's like any other monetary issue though, if they put it in the decree and agreed to it and it's in the final settlement she'd be entitled to it, but I can't even imagine anyone asking. Usually it's just in the temporary orders until the divorce is final. If course he might have to give her a pound of bananas every week too, or mow her yard, because anything you agree to that is in the final decree stands, but I haven't seen that one... boy what a sucker he'd be if he went for that.

folkmom's picture

both my BF and my brother were on their wives insurance at the time of divorce. it as in both their decrees that they be covered by wife until remarriage on either end. so when BM here got remarried, BF went off hers. my brother is still covered under his wife. now, i think theya re both dumbasses...who wants your ex wife to know when you go to the doc etc...but that is how they did their decree.