You are here

divorce/depression excuse

happysomeday's picture

When your bio or stepkids get into trouble, do you find that they blame their behavior on depression caused by the divorce?

It seems to me that a lot of these kids try to avoid punishment when they get caught by claiming they are so depressed due to the divorce/remarriage, that they can't behave normally.

I don't buy it. I remember pulling the depression card myself a couple times as a teen, with the goal of shifting the focus, making them feel sorry for me, so that they won't punish me. Getting put into therapy is better than being grounded or having priveledges removed.

I think my skids do this all the time, and I know that my H buys it. He always says that all their problems started about when the separation happened. I really don't believe that they would be perfect angels if their parents were still together. I believe that they are not depressed, just spoiled.

But both have been put into therapy, and have been diagnosed with depression caused by an inability to adjust to the situation. Sure.

The sad thing is that they actually like me, sometimes even love me, but because whenever they get in trouble, they use me as an excuse to make H feel bad for them, H is actually believing that BS and pushing me away, hoping that they'll straighten out.

I guess he thinks their lives will go back to the way that they want it, so they'll be happy, and then they'll behave.

My guess is that they'll still get in trouble, and then the excuse will be that he brought me in, pushed me out, they're confused.......depressed...now they have to adjust again..

I just wonder- does anyone have a response? If your bio or skid gets in trouble and pulls the depression card?
Did anyone ever have a therapist tell you not to buy into that excuse?