You are here

Dirty knickers

kaehbee's picture

Hi all....long time lurker here from Australia.
13 year old stepdaughter who lives with us fulltime. Also has ADHD and is on Vyvanse.
The last 2 months SD13 has been wearing the same knickers for up to 3 days in a row. She showers every night then puts the same musty crusted knickers back on. She has about 30 pairs of knickers to choose from.
We now have her laundry basket in the living room and each night she has to prove that all her clothes are being changed.
Why in the ever living step hell of life would a 13 year old want to wear crusty knickers and why only in the last 2 months.

Livingoutloud's picture

Children that are being abused/molested suddenly change their hygiene habits. Was she exposed to any situations where she could be molested? Take her to see a pediatrician asap.

Indigo's picture

My BS went through a phase which was sensory-processing related. For awhile, bathing was an issue --- the tactile and temperature variation between wet/non-wet made transitions into/out of showers a challenge. Around the same time, I discovered him leaving the clean underwear laying out and putting back on the used underwear. Why? It was warmer ... it wasn't as stiff ... it was 'broken in.'

Types of underwear are still a big deal for him: feel/texture ... no labels, no seams at the junction of leg/torso. He will re-wear a pair of boxer briefs rather than wear a pair of traditional men's "tighty-whitey" briefs.

Perhaps puberty and sensory overload are changing what feels 'right' to her. Tossing it out that it may not be a deliberate decision to wallow in nastiness.

kaehbee's picture

She went through puberty at 10 so hygeine has been fairly ingrained into her. She sees a paediatrician and clinical psychologist regularly so we will broach the subject. She has her next appointment tomorrow. Think she might be being bullied at school.

Kes's picture

My SDs both went through a stage of this - I would find pairs of discarded knickers in their room, sometimes hidden, that looked as though they had been worn for 6 weeks or more. One of the SDs also went through a phase of hiding used sanitary protection in her room which I would find weeks later and have to remove with latex gloves on. The SD of a friend of mine is doing the same. Lord knows why? I don't understand it myself.

SM12's picture

Just a thought, when my BS was on Vyvanse, he had a terrible time with major depression from the medication. He was around 12 at the time. It was so scary and so bad that I took him off of the meds. He had me afraid he was going to harm himself and that was not like his usual self at all.

Could she be depressed and just doesn't care?? Just a thought.

someonetotalkto7's picture

How is she doing on that medication? My ss9 also has ADHD and used to take that medicine, but started having side affects ( crying at the drop of a hat, not eating much, etc). The Dr. switched him to Focalin last year and has been doing great in that medication now.

JustGettingUsedToThis's picture

The other day, we went to a friend's pool party. I instructed all of the kids to put on their bathing suits and get a change of clothes. I didn't check their change of clothes because they're not little kids. The youngest is 8 and does all of these things for himself all the time.

We go the party, and when it's time to change into dry clothes, my 9 year old step daughter did not bring a bra or underwear. She has boobs. She needs a bra. She says she simply doesn't care about clothes and fashion. I say that's not the same thing as not wearing some dang underwear.

She brought a white shirt, which got all wet from her wet hair, and you could see through it. My friend asked me if I realized this. I didn't even know what to say.

My husband laughed it off. I was horrified. She does this a lot. I've had many talks with her about the fact that she is half way grown up...that she's hit puberty. She's a girl and things show through our clothes and we have to dress appropriately. Nothing changes.

StressedSickNtired's picture

Omg. I don't understand how he "laughed it off"! That is horrifying and I can't imagine any father not stepping in to "protect her innocence" from male eyes.
Maybe you need to have more explicit and and serious convo with each of them? I don't envy your position.