You are here

Conflicted Soon to be Stepmom - Emotional Warfare - Advice Needed

TheOptimist's picture

Hello - I am new to this community and looking for a light at the end of the tunnel.

My boyfriend (30M) and I (28F) have been dating for 2 1/2 years. His daughter will be turning 5. I met her about a year or so into our relationship. We live almost 2 hours from each other, so we make efforts to see each other on the weekends (and take turns driving to each other).

My boyfriend listens to me and is supportive of my feelings and boundaries. His daughter can be a pain and is rather emotional but overall a well-mannered kid. Her mom also doesn’t give us too much trouble. Her work schedule is inconsistent which then affects everyone’s schedule, but that’s been the worst of it so far.

I have no kids of my own, but I love my boyfriend with my whole heart; we are perfect for each other, and I do want to have kids with him. I’m finding it hard to fully embrace his daughter, and I fear this could strain our relationship. I’m happiest when it’s just us two. When his daughter is around, I feel anxious, overwhelmed, and sometimes annoyed. She is the constant reminder of his past for me, and it brings me sadness (along with a host of other emotions).

My boyfriend and I have been discussing marriage, have gone ring shopping, and I will be moving in with him later in the year. I’ve started therapy to work through my feelings and have begun reading books about becoming a stepmother. I’ve been completely open with my boyfriend of my struggles, and we’ve discussed going to therapy together. He validates that my position is a difficult one.

This feels like a never ending battle of emotions and learning. I’m quite nervous (but also excited) to move in, but it could also be the final straw to see if I can actually be successful or not, which scares me.

Do you have any advice? Am I wasting everyone’s time? Am I overthinking? How do I get out of my head? I want this to work but feels so mentally drained sometimes.

Thanks so much for reading and thank you in advance for your advice.

Harry's picture

And remember, you are just one illness, Arrest, boy toy for BM, Accident away from having SD 24/7/365.  Be you must realize SD is going to play BM against you, BM ahainst BF,  you and SO. So on and so on.  And once married things will change.  SO would want his kid more.  He wants a HAPPY FAMILY  with you as the mother, father, child.    
Does he put the child before you ?    Not a fun road.  Everyone on these boards thought they could handle it 

TheOptimist's picture

Thank you for this viewpoint. I wouldn't say he has really put the child before me. He balances time between us and always corrects his daughter if we are in the middle of talking. 

JRI's picture

I went into step-parenting as most of us did, with the best intentions and rose-colored glasses.  I'll skip the horror story and say counseling was the biggest factor in my acceptance of it all.  So, keep going.

I'm 79 now so have had time to look back on it all.  The one thing I didn't grasp is the loyalty bond the SKs had to their mom.  Also, I didn't appreciate their feelings of loss with DH gone and their jealousy of his "new family".  I was overwhelmed with my own feelings.

You're ahead of the game if your BF is understanding and you are in therapy.  Keep reading on Steptalk.  Good luck.

TheOptimist's picture

Thank you. Certainly will be continuing therapy. Might go mad if I don't Smile I'll keep searching through other posts as well. 

Winterglow's picture

I'm glad you're going to live together before you get married. You'd be surprised at how different someone can be once you move in and are with them every day. You'll only know if you can live with this situation after months of doing it. Just remember that if it's too difficult, getting married or having a baby won't fix things. Sometimes love just isn't enough.

Oh, and don't let him expect you to be a nanny to his daughter, she is HIS responsibility and HE should be doing the parenting.

SteppedOut's picture

Seriously, if you feel this strongly about sd/being a stepmom... it's not going to get better. Quite bluntly, things likely will get worse.  While bm is ok now, when you move in it will likely get worse. When you marry, it will get worse. When you have children, it will get worse. Probably the same with sd. You aren't dealing with bs, really, from bm or sd....yet. But as milestones in your relationship happen, you will. 

Also, how are you going to feel with resources being "split". How are you going to handle having to pay for another child, leaving less for yours. Effectively your husbands resources have to pay for his kid and future children. Both you and he would be paying for your shared...so unless bm steps up for "her half" of support, then sd would get "less" - except most times the dad will want to provide full for sd, but then maybe not have half to provide yours...leaving you to do all. 

There are so many little intricacies, if you are having a really hard time... it might be worth considering if this is the best relationship for you... before you upend your life and move to him. 

TheOptimist's picture

Thanks for this perspective. We have discussed finances, and he has said that he believes he should be supporting her financially, which I agree on. I have voiced my concerns about how financially stable BM is and how that could affect our family. I will continue to give this more thought. 

Rumplestiltskin's picture

"He said he believes he should be supporting her financially."

There should be a legal document that specifies how much money, if any, he gives BM. There is a legal formula for this that takes into account his income, BM's income, and the amount of time spent with each parent. There should also be a legal custody order and schedule. As far as anything SO wants to pay for directly for SD, that's up to him, but he and BM should both be contributing financially to SD. 

TheOptimist's picture

SO and BM did not go to court, so there is no custody agreement. Is this the document you are referring to or would it be something else?

SteppedOut's picture

Yea, this is not good. They ABSOLUTELY should have custody and support done legally. It WILL cause peoblems in thr future if they do not. 

JRI's picture

It's important to get the finances in writing and court-approved.  Otherwise, many "emergencies" will occur.  Our BM used DH as an ATM, they had a court order but his guilt led him to always respond.  My SD61 still sees him as an ATM and this almost led to our separation until we separated finances.  She learned it all from BM.

Your BF sounds like a good man.  Unfortunately, this is exactly the kind of man who gets squeezed for continuous extra money.  Nail this down, you won't be sorry.

TheOptimist's picture

JRI and SteppedOut - How do I go about suggesting this? I don't believe she makes very much. I worry that if they finalize some of this through the court, he may end up actually paying more than he does now. I am not very knowledgeable about these areas at all. Would this type of agreement also include schedules? I'd love to have a more definitive schedule that's followed. Her recent schedule change means SD is at the house every evening (and dropped off in the mornings to the mom). We are child-free every other weekend (face palm).

CLove's picture

You can go online to plug in the numbers to see what an estimated amount would look like.

Things like visitation and tax credits etc would go into play. If she gets to file child as dependant, he could pay lower child support theoretically.

It would be a great idea to get all the child support detailed in a document. Especially down the road it becomes more important.

Especially if you get married and/or have a child with him - always the BMS ramp up the toxic.

SteppedOut's picture

He might end up paying more. But, wouldn't you rather know how much it really should be now, before you go all in?

Way better than when you just had a baby and are planning on being out of work and suddenly she files for child support and now you can't stay out of work as long because suddenly he can't afford it?

TheOptimist's picture

These are great points made by all of you. I sent him a text regarding these issues. I'll be discussing this further with him and my therapist when we go see her together. 

@Yesterdays - I would not be mad if BM out of the blue took full custody LOL

Winterglow's picture

Without a court order for child support, he could end up paying a helluva lot more than you think. Firstly, does he give BM extra money because she says she needs it or does he understand that child support is supposed to cover everything defined in the CO (this could be school outings, medical costs insurance, etc. or not ). Does he realise that if,some day, she decides to go after him for child support and asks the court for back payment... he could be on the hook for THOUSANDS because every penny he has ever given her is considered to be a gift? Court orders are there to protect everyone.

Likewise, who decides on the child's school, religion, who makes her medical decisions? How far away can BM take her does she have to give him an itinerary, can they leave the state/country without telling him?

BM may be a nice and reasonable person right now but you have no guarantee she will continue to be so.

By the way, some states also  take the number of nights spent with a parent into account for the calculation of child support - BM might have to pay your bf CS.. 

TheOptimist's picture

Very great points made. I'm not sure if he's sending extra. I know he pays for daycare. They both pay for food and clothing separately so that the daughter has things at both houses and doesn't have to pack a bag all the time. 

"Her recent schedule change means SD is at the house every evening (and dropped off in the mornings to the mom). We are child-free every other weekend (face palm)."

Then BM should be the one paying CS. No wonder you are unhappy. You are being sold a crappy bill of goods. 

walfredo's picture

They need to spell out legally what their relationship going forward as co-parents is. This is so messy and unacceptable how it is setup now...

There is no parenting time or custody agreement?  There is no spousal support or child support agreement?  Are they still married then?  Fuck no... Fuck no... Fuck no...  They need to figure this shit out before they can bring other people into the circus

TheOptimist's picture

While I'm extremely nervous to move in full-time, I believe you're right in that it will help me see if I can do this for the rest of my life. I will not be rushing the marriage for that reason. Any kids of our own will come after marriage (currently on BC). He does all the parenting and takes responsibility thankfully. I'll make sure to keep that in check though. I refuse to become a nanny.

ESMOD's picture

I think you would benefit from some counseling to work through your feelings.  I was a SM who had no children of her own.. and I did not grow up in an environment with a ton of kids.. so kids were a bit alien to me when I met my DH.. they were 5 and 9.  

I will say that for Skids.. I got pretty good ones.  BM could be a total nightmare.. but the kids were mostly ok.. the older one was a bit of a cold fish and not my kind of "person".. but we have an ok relationship now.. she is almost 30.. and honestly.. we just don't have "step" issues at this point.. kids.. even adults.. can have their share of crisis but I don't think mine have any more than the next typical "kid" their age.

But.. the bottom line is this.. would my life have been "simpler" without my DH having kids.. yes.  Would it have been financially better? yes.  Would it have been nice to not have an EX in my life.. also yes.  But that doesn't mean that in the grand scheme of things.. I love my SO and we have a good life... the kids are grown.. I have a good relationship with both.. and we have no real contact with the EX. 

But YOU have to live with your own insecurities.. your own jealousies etc.. you may not LOVE his child.. but can you be in her life and be a positive role model and support your SO as he raises her?  Can you separate your feelings for her mother from the child.. who honestly did not ask for any of this situation and is immature and needs to grow and deserves to be in a happy home... where she feels like a FULL participant.. not considered an outsider?  This is her life too.. and your SO.. he deserves to be able to love his first child.. and though your children won't be his first.. he will love them.. but you will have to accept you cannot go back and turn back the clock.  I know.. we all wish for realities that don't exist.. but there is a different between being a bit whistful about it.. and letting it poison our hearts.   you need to be able to be honest about where you feel you can get.

You also should be paying close attention to how your SO parents his child.. and how he respects your authority and supports you in the home.. perhaps the living together will help with that insight.  I can see you being uncomfortable with lack of exposure.. and many fears may be "what if's".. but perhaps living through it will help you bond with his child more.  You do NOT have to love her as your own.. but the child should feel "loved and valued" in her home.

TheOptimist's picture

I appreciate this comment a lot. It highlights a lot of my thoughts. One being how it would be so much easier to leave and not have to deal with the child and ex, but at what cost? Losing the person I love so much? Perhaps the challenges will be worth it. The insecruities and jealousies are things I am dealing with. 

So far, I have seen that he respects my authority. He will make comments to his daughter to make sure she listens to me. Or if I say something and don't get a response, he will be like "hey, she's talking to you." So I do feel support in that manner. 

ESMOD's picture

I saw on another response that he does not have a custody order.. that is a long time for things to be "amicablly worked out".. his ex could become problematic.. go after him for past support.. because money he gives now might be considered "gifts" not child support.. so unless this is a highly unusual situation.. he needs to get an official custody order.. otherwise EVERYTHING will risk becoming a long drawn out negotiation... every holiday.. ever custody switch etc.. 

Rags's picture

For many years early in my STalk membership I was committed to not tolerating any threat to my marriage or live with the woman that I love due to my DW's baggage. That is still a hill I will die on.

However, my DW and I have always insisted that our marriage and each other trump all else. Including the Skid. The son that we raised together since he was a toddler.  Kids are never the priority over the mates and their marriage. Ever.  Kids are the top adult marital responsibility, but never the priority. Responsibility and priority are two ver different things.

Sadly, so many people in blended marriages undervalued themselves when settling for a prior marriage breeder of a mate. So many also continue to undervalue themselves when they tolerate the "love of their life" to not deal effectively with the baggage of the X and their failed family progeny.

I am not saying end all contact. I am saying the mate has to keep their foot on the throat of a toxic X and they have to tolerate zero behavioral or performance bullshit from their failed family children.  The mate owes us their loyalty and they owe us full commitment to keeping their baggage from being a detriment to our home, our family, our marriage, and our lives.

Zero tolerance for crap from a mate, their X, their failed family progeny, etc..... is IMHO the foundation of a quality blended family marriage.

Even the love of one's life is not worth tolerating the crap associated with a failed partner, mate, parent for the rest of your life.

IMHO.

Make sure that your DH delivers on your requirements of him, his children, and his X. Do not sacrifice yourself on the the alter of Sparental martyrdom to a mate and their failed family baggage.

CLove's picture

Read through the main blog as well as the forums. Thats my best advice today.

Biggrin Good luck!

advice.only2's picture

Have you and BF talked about what your life would look like if he suddenly got full custody?  Have you talked about what he feels your role in his daughter’s life versus what you feel your role should be?  Have you discussed finances and if once you are living together, he expects a portion of your finances to go towards his daughter.  If your BF lost his job suddenly, would he expect you to help support his child until he was back on his feet?  Is the option on the table for you to move someplace else if an opportunity arose or will you have to stay living there until SD is 18?   These are just a few of the things to start considering and having honest discussions about.

TheOptimist's picture

Yes, we have touched on all of these questions, some more than others. He does not expect me to support his daughter financially. Of course, if we go out to dinner and I want to pay, I would pay for everyone lol. I wouldn't be as petty as to not pay for her meal. If he lost his job, and we're married, I would cover the costs that I can. The cost to support her right now is very little. He has mentioned that he wants her to go to private school when she grows up. I made it very clear that I don't want to pay for that, and he agrees he'd have to chalk up the money for that. As for full custody and staying where we are, those conversations have been more ambigious. Her mom lives only a few minutes away. Of course moving would complicate matters. It's not off the table, but we have no idea what that would look like.

One thing you mention is BM's work schedule is inconsistent which then affects everyone else's schedule. I would find out exactly how the custody arrangement works before making any more commitments. Having an inconsistent or lazy BM and an accommodating DH is often a problem.

You also haven't spent much time with your SO and SD together. Does he cosleep with her? Is there a routine? Rules (even a small child can have simple ones like a bedtime, no backtalk or disrespect, should go without saying but no hitting adults, etc.) Does your SO call the shots or does he let SD dictate what goes on when she is with him? Does he treat you differently when she is present vs when she is gone? When you are together, does he take your feelings and opinions into account or are all decisions made with SD and BM's wants and needs prioritized?

It's going to take some time to figure all this out and make a decision whether or not to tie your life to his. Do you want to take that time? You are 28. The clock isn't ticking as bad as some but i wouldn't wait more than 2 years to work out major issues if i were you.

Maybe a therapist can help you work out the root cause of your negative feelings. It may be that you aren't a good fit to deal with a stepchild and a BM (and that is OK, don't let anyone tell you you are a bad person for not wanting to take on this type of life!) Or, maybe there are real problems with this situation that are making you unhappy but you can't be sure what is normal vs dysfunctional, having no experience with this type of situation. 

TheOptimist's picture

Thanks for the great questions. There is no custody agreement right now. They work together around each other's schedules. 

I have spent many weekends with SO and SD together. Sometimes I'm able to stay from Friday-Monday. He does allow her to cosleep. I expresed that I am not fond of the arrangment, and he has been working to get her to sleep in her own room. She basically does now, but if I'm not there, he will still allow it. He's working on a permanent transition though. There is a routine, though there's not a strict bedtime. My bedtime is earlier than both of theirs lol. SO calls the shots, treats me the same whether she's there or not, and takes my feelings into account. 

I'm moving in with him in a few months. If I don't feel like I can do this by the end of the year after living there for several months, I will reconsider our relationship.  

Thank you for the last part. I do feel bad that I'm having these feelings and second guessing our relationship. I would feel terrible to end it after all this time. I'm close with his friends, have met his family, and his mine... It would be a hard breakup, but I would have to put me first. I think I'm just overwhelmed at times. 

hereiam's picture

I fear that spending only weekends with him is not really enough to see what the dynamic really is. You could be in for a very rude awakening, which is what often happens in these situations, especially when it started out long distance.

TheOptimist's picture

I agree. I'll be moving in full time in a few months. Hoping that helps me finally decide which route I want to take. 

If SD spends the night with your SO almost all nights (i think that is what you said above), BM might owe HIM child support. Overnights are how they calculate time with each parent. 

TheOptimist's picture

Gasp - I just texted him this. Thank you! She'd probably say she couldn't afford it, but I guess that would be up to the judge for final determinations.

Yes. And tell him not to "tip her off" that he is seeking to legalize custody. Every night she spends at SO's house is "his" day. Every night she spends at BM's is "her" day. If BM only has the child about 3/14 nights, she will legally owe child support.

When I started dating my SO, he was in a similar situation. When he went to court to make it legal, surprise - the BM started keeping the kid 50/50. This type of BM will try to use their babydaddy's house as on-demand childcare, and some will abuse the privilege , having the BD both keep the kids the majority of the time and pay her too. Some guys just want to be this great guy, and that's fine if they are willing to devote their time and money to BM and skids. But these guys are in no position to try and start a new life with someone else. 

TheOptimist's picture

That's exactly what's being done. With this new schedule, she's spending way more than 50% with SO. BM only has her for a few hours in the morning before she drops her off at school. She then picks her up from school and drops her off at daycare, which is where my SO picks her up. Daycare that HE's paying for. Like??? I hope he has a favorable response to what I've sent him so far. 

AND she claims the daugther on her tax return. Make it make sense

Survivingstephell's picture

You moving in will change things and it could cause SD  and/or BM to start to act up.  Right now things look possible.  BM might have other ideas.  Especially if he wants a CO and things spelled out.  BM might not like the limits put on her.  Flexible schedules are a nightmare in the making in stepland.  Most fall apart , usually when the more dysfunctional parent doesn't get her way anymore.  You moving in makes it real for BM that things are changing beyond her control.  

Honestly, I would wait to move in.  Get the CO in place.  Watch him parent more.  Look for the cracks.  Protect yourself financially so you aren't filling in gaps and enabling him if you must move in.   He has to protect you from his baggage, not give it to you to carry.   He must set the tone with SD that you are to be respected as another adult in the home.  In fact EVERYONE must be set straight by him that your are his choice as a partner and he will not tolerate any disrespect.  BM, SD, his family and friends.  They will all bring preconceived ideas on what your role should be, and if you listen to them and you don't agree it will cause strife between you two.   

You found us here and this place is for the worst of the worst.  Read and you will not believe just how horrible it can get.  We have seasoned warriors among our group.   Lots of knowledge here.  Blunt hard truths too.  Welcome.  

TheOptimist's picture

Thank you for the welcome. I appreciate your advice and all the advice I have received on this post thus far. It has been extremely helpful. How would I get the full effect and see if I can do this if I don't move in though? I would certianly have a back up plan if I need to move out. And by no means am I financially dependent on him. I sent him a myriad of texts regarding a CO. I hope he doesn't take it the wrong way. 

Aniki-Moderator's picture

I’m happiest when it’s just us two. 

You need to seriously consider that your boyfriend could end up with his child 100% of the time. BM could pass away or become incapacitated. He is suddenly a full-time father and she will be there every single day. I've seen too many people claim that the child/children living with their partner 100% of the time would be a relationship ender. This is a real possibility.

Evil4's picture

You are only 28. You have time to go find a man who does not already have a child. I literally settled when I married my H. I was 31 and never was lucky in love and knew I couldn't get anyone who hadn't been married with brats. God! I wish so much I held out at least a bit longer. I'm developing an escape plan after 28 years. I just can't take it anymore. I had the worst enmeshed, clingiest of cling-on mini-wives and a Disneyland dad on steroids that even three years of intensive individual therapy for each H and I and marital therapy for us as a couple just couldn't fix. 

At the best of times, when there's an existing kid, you are not the first. When you get pregnant, you're not the first for your SO.  All of your firsts won't be your SO's firsts. That can really sting. If he was actually married to the BM, then going ring shopping, getting engaged, getting married, etc. will not be his firsts but might be yours. You'll have in the back of your mind that he had a love of his life, or so he thought because he married her and had a child with her. This is to keep in mind as you see him as the love of your life and you're getting married but you know deep down that he's been there, done that. It fucking hurts. You won't have your traditions because Little Suzie's traditions from BM will be followed so that Little Poopie won't have to experience so many changes. You won't be the woman of your own home because BM's scent will be all over it because it's HER child. If Poopsie turns into a major brat, you won't have say because you're not the mother. If little Poopsie develops what you believe to be major mental health issues and needs therapy or assessment, you won't have a say because you're not the mother. You'll be reminded that you're not a mother and you're not Poopsie's mother. You'll want to maybe celebrate Easter, for example and start your own traditions but that's not what BM does for Poopsie. You won't be able to serve the dinners your feel Poopsie should have or that you want because it's all about Poopsie. Then, there's Poopsie's comments about fucking Mommy this and Mommeeeee that and if you dare say anything you're the asshole. You'll have to put up with the constant mention of another woman in your house.

When I got pregnant all I heard was about BM's pregnancies. My SKs just had to constantly bring it up. I couldn't even enjoy my pregnancy because I was living in BM's shadow. If I said anything I'm the asshole and the SKs "don't know better," only I damn well know that they did. They'd flash me their smirking looks to make sure I never forgot that I was second family which made me second rate.

No man is worth it. Run!!!!!!!!! At 28 you have time to find a man to call your own. One who doesn't have money flying out the door to another woman, one who doesn't have to turn away from you at the worst possible times because of something happening with BM or an SK. I couldn't even enjoy my pregnancy or my DD23's early infancy without either the mention of BM or my SD inviting BM into my home to see the baby and I couldn't say a word or I'm the asshole because poor little SD is just excited over her baby sister and doesn't know better. Then there are the manipulative tactics to divert H from the hospital when DD was taken by ambulance at age 3 and we almost lost her to undiagnosed asthma, but oh no! Fucking SD just had to have Dada's attention. DD snapped her arm in half in a horrific gymnastics accident and was in surgery and when keeping distant family updated on FB, H got diverted to SD and SD posted massive pics of herself to seal the attention. DD couldn't even have her broken arm without a God damned SK or BM diverting H away from my DD laid up in the hospital in horrific pain.

I didn't even get into the Mini-Wife Syndrome and all the other stuff.

Don't do it! Run like the wind!!!! It's not worth it! Not a day went by in my entire 28 year marriage that I didn't regret getting together with a man with kids. I tried so hard to stay married but I'm tapping out. My life is filled with regrets. I even had to give up my career and for what? I'm being bullied at work and regret every damn day that I stepped down from a career I loved for kids that aren't mine. I got nothing in return. I never even got any needs met. 

Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheOptimist's picture

Thank you for your experience. SO has not been married before, but I totally feel what you mean about my firsts not being his firsts. I've told him how upset that makes me. I was just thinking yesterday about a baby shower. I was like, will I get one since it will be my first child but not his? (not pregnant btw, just was thinking about the scenario)

This makes me sad to hear, but it's your honest experience. I hope you find happiness and are able to live the rest of your life with no regrets Smile

Harry's picture

Are you dividing up all the bills and you pay 1/3?  Will you have a household account, where all household money comes out of. Rent ,food, clothing, insurance, vacations, entertainment.    Where you put in 1/3 and SO puts in 2/3 ? Spreadsheet time.   You start living together you can adjust .  SD need braces. This doesn't come out of this account.  ?

Just remember, things as CS. Visitation time, BM liking you to hating you. Can change. Will change.  How about things as holidays how are they going to be handle ?  He seems close to the ex.  Are you going over the ex on Christmas morning?  Spend opening  presidents with ex ? Or Doing your own thing.   ? CO are great for soeliing out these thing.  
'JUST room for though.. we all failed at this..  scraping together money and BM buying a new car ?  Because she is broke.. ?

I agree. Often young stepparents will write in stating they are unhappy or jealous about having a stepkid. They don't list specifics so people may jump to think "Maybe you are not cut out to be a stepparent. Maybe you are selfish." Then, in the comments, REAL issues come out. Like real, dealbreaker issues. That's why i ask specific questions. It's rarely just that the stepparent cannot handle the fact that a child exists. It's all the issues that come along with it that are not being handled properly. I dated a man with 3 young kids in the past but i did not find this site. That was because the CO was followed, the guy parented well, had boundaries, and the BM actually held up her end as a mother. When you get to this site, often it's because something is BAD wrong with the situation and most people don't have the knowledge to articulate just what that is. 

Yes. Due to these and other issues, though, we have put off marriage and living together until all kids have turned 18 and moved out. I have my own place and still have a high school senior living at home, for the next 6 months anyway. His youngest is about to turn 14, so at least 4-5 years would be the soonest. ETA there are also other issues causing me to hesitate. Also, my SO has 4 kids and 2 BMs.

Wait, you mean the guy with the unicorn step-situation. No, we dated a few years and broke up for ither reasons. 

TheOptimist's picture

Ahhh gotcha. Yeah, I was asking about the unicorn step-situation. Glad to hear about your current relationship though Smile

TheOptimist's picture

Right now, we will split bills 50/50. We discussed a joint account for bills but have not set one up yet. BM buying a new car and braces would not come out of any account I'm contributing money to. 

Rags's picture

Nor should anything that benefits the CP other than CS be paid by the NCP.  If she is using CS to buy anew car.... nope. Not that you can really do anything about it.  There is little to zero accountabilty for a CP to account for how CS is spent.  

The NCP, far more often than not, is required to pay womb or fertilization rental fees to their poor choice in breeding partners for some extensive number of years and cannot demand an accounting for how that money is spent to support the child.  Though I suppose they could demand that accounting... to no avail.

Courts nor the CSE oranizations want to open that can of worms so the CP gets the benefit of the doubt and are generally considered to be the hallowed Golden Parent who spends every penny in CS on the needs and wellbeing of the kid(s).

My opinion is likely not usual for the Sparent on the CP side.   I detest the NCP clan in our experience but.... I also recognize that the NCP far more often than not gets screwed for shit tons of money that they have no say in how it is spent nor can they get an accounting for how it is spent.

Fortunately, the majority of CPs and NCPs are decent people doing what they consider to be best for their failed family progeny. 

STalk is not a comprehensively representative sample of all Step situations and generally is populated by people struggling with some combination of an inept parent partner, with a toxic X, ill behaved failed family progeny, a toxic opposition clan, indiot Judges, etc.... 

Not all, but... quite a number.

Though the 60+% failure rate of step families/second or subsequent marriages is an incontestable fact.

Studies show the rate of divorce for first marriages has dropped to ~40%. But the alarming statistic is the rate of failure for second marriages is 67% and for third marriages, it's a whopping 74%!Jun 22, 2020

Why Second Marriages Fail - Divorce Strategies Group

StepUltimate's picture

Wow, bears repeating:

"Studies show the rate of divorce for first marriages has dropped to ~40%. But the alarming statistic is the rate of failure for second marriages is 67% and for third marriages, it's a whopping 74%! Jun 22, 2020

Why Second Marriages Fail - Divorce Strategies Group"

Rags's picture

Though certainly a marital caveat, when a never before married person marries a prior married parent, or even a parent that was never married, it constitutes a second marriage with IMHOan  even higher risk than just a 2nd marriage between two divorced people who never had kids before the 2nd marriage.  Kids put the risk of next marriage failure into the stratosphere. No study to support that, it just makes sense to me.  It aligns with my logical  engineeric brain.

A first marriage for one person in a blended marriage, is a subsequent marriage for the other. Thus.... 60+% risk of failure.

The nearly 30 year marriage between my DW and I fits the risk profile. I was married before. No kids.  She was a single mom.  Our son was 15mos old when we met. We married the week before he turned 2yo.   The week after we married a CO was ordered confirming full physical and legal custody for my DW and setting l limited (7Wks) long distance visitation for the Spermclan.  Because she was awarded full physical and legal custody shortly after SS was born, she left SpermLand for University shortly after graduating from HS with honors with SS (then a few months short of 1yo) on her hip.   Since the hearing reconfirming full physical and legal custody for DW occurred after she had left SpermLand, the visitation order was set for long distance.

Our blended family adventure is the just about as Unicorn as it gets.  Toddler aged Skid, long distance visitation for the NCP clan, and an actual mutually respectful equity life partnership between the Sparent and the BioParent in the marriage.

While it can work, it takes far more structure, far less tolerance of crap, and a far more firm and demanding platform for the non breeder mate to build, stand on, and defend for it to work.

The data... does not lie.

Rags's picture

There is light at the end of the tunnel only if you create it.... by blowing up the tunnel.  

That is done by going zero tolerance for drop in no visitaiton schedule life.  Among other things.

First, I would NOT move in with BF. Make him move in with you.  That takes BM's bullshit work schedule excuse out of the picture. Make sure there is a clear COd visitation schedule and make sure that your BF sticks to it.  BM can figure out chile care on her time and that means daddy is not BM's beck and call baby sitter. And neither are you.

Part of blowing up the tunnel and living in the light is making sure that you and BF are equity life partners and equity parents to any children in your home/relationship regardless of the parental bioloty of those children.  You, BF, and your relationship are your sole top priorities. Children never are.  Children are the top adult responsibility.  

Two very different things.

Another big part of living in the light is establishing firm standards of behavior and standards of performance for all in your relationship including your BF, Skids/kids, and for damned sure his X.  

The X is irrelevant, gets zero say and has zero standing in your life, marriage, home, and family. Zero. If BF will not keep BM under control, then you do it.

Be wary of the warm tinglies of early love with a prior breeder.  Those tinglies are extremely dangerous and often kill brain power to recognize and address clear and present crap  of the baggage that a prior breeder mate can infect your life with  if that mate does not have the testicular fortitude to keep that baggare in it's proper place of fails to deal with it constantly and effectively.

Don't get me wrong.  It is possible to have a great marriage and make a wonderful life with a prior failed family breeder.  Though it is not a likely outcome.   Second marriages fail at a significantly higher rate than even first marriages whish are a 50/50 proposition at best. 

Know the playing field you are considering living your life on before you play the game.  Make the rules, enforce the rules, and tolerate no crap from your mate or their baggage. 

Or, the light at the end of the tunnel will be nothing better than an never ending oncoming train.

Take care of you.

TheOptimist's picture

Thank you for the advice. I'm definitely trying to set boundaries and expectations. Him moving in with me wouldn't make the most sense. I have a very tiny apartment, and he has a home with a mortgage. 

Rags's picture

Which raises another risk.  His home. Not yours.  Kids often consider mom's home or dad's to be their home and hallowed ground.  

Not too few consider a Sparent to be an invader.

Several Stalkers deal with this nearly continuously though usually in conjuntion with Skids  ane even Skidults that demonize the Sparent for stealing their mommy or daddy even when it is their other parent that cheated and dumped the now Sparent stolen parent. Though usually it is the evil Sparent that stole daddy.  Because.... the near full STalk population is made up of SMs and more broadly, SDads do not have the depth of drama to deal with that SMs have.  

Though... some certainly do.

My appologies for the wishy washy examples.  SParenting is a dynamic every changing challenge.  

Harry's picture

That thing change.  You are saying I can do the visitation EOWN.  Then SO having a wife goes for 50/50 visitation.  What you didn't sign up for. Or BM get a boytoy. And wants weekrnds alone with boytoy. So yiu are taking care of SD and BM is alone playing with BF.  Thing like that is upsetting.    This may not be your future. But it's happens.  When it does it's people here venting. 

Dogmom1321's picture

All great information here! Our stories are very similar...

I met DH and his daughter when she was 5. She had her moments, but overall a typical 5 year old in a crummy divorce situation. I SO wish I knew about StepTalk when we first got together. 

DH did not have a CO or CS in place. The erractic schedule almost broke us. Instead of talking about issues PRIOR, we would face them as they came up (terrible idea). For example, how to split bills, parenting styles, etc. 

My experience with BM  (and also SD) changed drastically with every milestone. She never gave me a second thought when we were dating. I think she viewed us as just casual. When we moved in together that's when sh!t hit the fan. She showed her true colors. Keep in my if your BF begins to set boundaries and BM doesn't like it, it will be hell to pay for everyone involved, even SK.

EDIT TO ADD: Now SD13 has gone through ALL the phases too. Being excited to having someone to 'play' with when she was 5. To being territorial when I moved in. To turning into "mini-wife" when we got married, and rejecting our DS3 when he was born. She has removed herself from all "family" activities, even eating dinner with us, and is a totally different person from when I first met her. If I had known the havoc she would cause within just the relationships between the whole family, I honestly would have reconsidered even dating. Maybe his daughter is totally different, but I can honestly say the detest SD13 has for myself and my son I did not even see coming. Just keep this in mind that relationships and evolve and change between the two of you... for the better, but also very much for the worse. 

Moving in will be a tell-tale sign if this is a relationship you want to continue or not. Keep us posted!

TheOptimist's picture

Would it be a reasonable request to ask him to have the CO complete before I move in or is that asking too much? I would defintiely want it before marriage. Does a custody agreement/order automatically warrant child support payments through that process? Or is that something that would have to be applied for? The thought that he may ever have to pay child support gives me hesitation about the relationship. She makes significantly less than him, from what he tells me. If he's paying her so much money, which leaves him with little, that would make me have to pick up the slack for the family we want to create. 

Dogmom1321's picture

It took about 16 months for DH and BM to get a custody order. It can be a very long process (and expensive). DH spent more than $10,000 on attorney fees just for BM to be awarded 50/50 in the end (previously she only had some holidays and summers). Yet another money pit for DH. It also didn't keep BM problems away even after there was a CO. Last minute plans, disagreements about drop offs, the list goes on. DH can file for contempt or to modify the plan, but that is just more money. DH has admitted he spent way more than he ever should and it absolutely sucked him dry. 

CS is child support and thank goodness DH doesn't pay it. The idea of money going away each month (and can change at anytime) is extremely nerve racking. It's hard to then reach your OWN goals as a couple. Saving for vacations, your own home, etc. 

Just something to think about. 

TheOptimist's picture

16 months!!!! Wow, that's a long time. I'm second guessing moving in with SO now. I think he may need to figure this all out first. Otherwise, it could lead to more of a headache for me. 

Dogmom1321's picture

If BM is as reasonable as BF says she is, then it shouldn't be a problem for it to go quicker. They may not need a mediator if they both agree to all the terms. However, if a mediator is needed then it will take much longer for each parent to explain what they think is best for the child and go before a judge. 

In my experience, DH waited to get a CO to keep BM at bay. He did many things to "keep the peace" for BM even though they weren't always fair or the right thing to do. Once BM stopped being accommodated 24/7 that's when she got upset about a CO being put in place. That would be VERY telling if either BF or BM is against getting anything in writing. 

Winterglow's picture

Not unreasonable at all. I'd even make it a condition for you moving in 

Child support and visitation are two entirely different things.

In the current circumstances I don't see how your bf would have to pay her CS seeing as the child spends every night in her father's home. In other words, he has her virtually full time.

I'd get the CS sorted out NOW to avoid having to pay CS for all the years already past. When there's no CO in place, every penny that goes to BM is considered to be a gift and not CS.

Dogmom1321's picture

Also, it seems that your BF has SK majority of the time. However, BM's tune may change if she realizes more time with mom = more money for her. Not uncommon. 

Cover1W's picture

I'd also recommend OP tell her BF that he needs to document the past, current and future times he had/has his daughter. Document, document, document. 

Yes. CO is the legal document that spells out how much custody time each parent has and the schedule. In my state, CS is a separate legal action, but is based on each parent's income and the amount of overnights with each one. This is why i think, by law, your SO does not legally owe Bm CS, but the other way around. Your SO has the overwhelming majority of overnights.