You are here

Age appropriate Xbox (or PS) Games...Crazy BM!!!

Mikhaila87's picture

I thought I posted this earlier...Clearly not Smile

I have 2 skids. SS10 and SS7. To give you a bit of background on this issue. When I first met my OH he let the kids play GTA (Grand theft auto on Xbox) I said I didn't think this game was appropriate. For anyone that doesn't know what it involves. You drive around robbing and murdering people and sleeping with prostitutes...from what I have been told my OH. He agreed it wasn't right so he stopped it. I got wind the BM also agreed with me and appreciated me stepping in.
So this weekend we find out BM has purchased this game for the skids and my partner spoke to her on Sunday telling he didnt want his children being exposed to this game and holds his hands up to his mistake for letting them previously. At the time she agreed and said she will sort the game out when the kids go back to hers on Monday.
My partner calls SS10 last night and hears GTA on...so he texts BM who then defends the game and claims it isn't that bad. My partner tries to argue his point that a child of 10 shouldn't be playing this type of game. I just cant take this woman anymore. She is so neglectful of these poor children this is just one of the things on a long list of issues we have.
This is more of a rant than asking for advice. But any advice with trying to disengage from the BM would be great.
My main issue is her, the skids aren't overly bad and quite decent kids. I just get concerned over what stunt she will pull next. And letting the kids play GTA wasn't a concern at all as I knew how she felt...but peer pressure from the 10 year old has made her crumble. Also concerned she has gone back to Anorexia to try and gain control as she used to suffer badly years ago with this. And she is looking very unhealthy at the moment.

RANT OVER.

Maxwell09's picture

I know exactly how you feel! I road this struggle bus until it drove me insane. My DH was letting his THREE year old play Xbox. And yeah he played DHs games like GTA and COD, now grant it he would I just steal a car on GTA and let SS drive around with it til it crashed to pieces or let the man swim in the water for an hour or so but still I was really against it. I'm actually against too much screen time in general including cartoons and movies. Not gonna lie I had to make some very hurtful things to DH for him to realize that THIS was the same lazy parenting he accuses BM of doing. She has SS for two days and he basically sits in her apartment with his tablet in one hand or iPod playing games while Mickey Mouse is on for those 48 hours.

Yeah so it came down to SS's progress report from Prek3 coming home for me to point out that SS3 wasn't where he should be. He didn't know his letters of the week or numbers because he was too wrapped up in having game time. I posted about it here I think one day and found that I wasn't the only one who thought it was stupid to let a 3 year old play Xbox. So I made DH do SSs homework with him, and quizzed SS in front of him (just the stuff he's suppose to know, nothing difficult) and he couldn't do it. DH got frustrated that it took him two hours to reteach SS how to write the letter C...i don't know if DH realized I was right or just got tired of arguing about it but either way electronics are now banned until 30 minutes before BM comes to pick SS up for the weekends. Instead of watching tv we talk, do alphabet puzzles, practice his name and play outside. That first day we sat in there for an hour trying to remember what a B looked like in comparison to an A, the next day (DH works nights) SS was so excited that he learned his Bs (again) he showed off at breakfast spelling the word BAKE saying each letter. After two weeks of no tv time (except on Fridays) SS has moved on to bigger and better things like playing outside in his club house, painting or drawing us pictures, playing pretend with his dress up gear...ya know all the normal things a preschooler should want to do if XBox didn't exist. Lol

Aniki-Moderator's picture

BioHo bought PigPen GTO. He's 12. He's been playing GTO since he was 8. EIGHT. Gangbangers, Eff words, all the violence... This is a kid with the emotional maturity of a 2 year old, who is too scared to get out of bed at night because it's DARK and SOMETHING might GET him. He shouldn't be watching a movie over a freakin' G rating, much less play GTO. DH lets him play it because, well, 'Ho's been letting him play it for 4+ years now. Yippee.