You are here

New to the Site ANY ADVICE for the NEWBIE??

brie82's picture

Ok so here is my dilemma....
I am a young stepmother age 26 and have a stepson that will be 18 next week that is living here in my home. He has been here for about a year and let me tell you it has been rough. I have two smaller children of my own and when he came to live with us my son eventually had to give up his room and bed for him. It has been this way for a year now. My son sleeps in a bed with my daughter and I feel like an 8 yr old boy does not need to sleep with his little sister for any longer.
My SS has no plans to move out. He cannot be accepted into the army, says jobcorp is too much work, and thinks that staying gone for 6 out of 7 days of the week is great and that dropping in once a week to "catch up on rest", wash clothes, eat up all the food, and lock himself in the room should be fine with me. Just yesterday I asked him to clean the front bathroom and he replied that he is the only one who has to clean around here, which is crap because he is the only one that doesn't do anything around here. I am so fed up because his 18th bday is around the corner, he works 4 hours a week and was told that if he was planning on being here past 18 he was to get a Full time job.
My H on the other hand, his father is starting to see the light if you will. But the thing that really pisses me off is that I still can't get an apology for yesterdays disrespect. As a matter of fact my SS just came in asking if I would give him a ride to the bustop. Ummm Nooooo try again. I am so frustrated to say the least. I am 26 years old a SM to an almost 18 SS that doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself and thinks that he doesn't need to listen to me because I am only 9 years older than him. My husband backs me up and rips his son when he is around to see his behavior so I guess I am greatful for that BUT I just don't think that he should have it so comfortable here with his own room when he is never here and is making no attempts to move out unless a GF of his can get a Section 8 apt. he believes this is just a flop house to come once a week to eat, sleep, and poop. I am so sick and tired and even though I get support from my H, this house is on eggshells and I am so frustrated with my H and it really is not his fault. WHAT DO I DO?? ANYONE???? ANY ADVICE HELPS!!!!!!

brie82's picture

have tried that... he only works about 4 hours a week at a fast food place. I have been saying for 6 months to take a percentage of his check to put away for a move out fund and my H agreed but states when it came down to it that "we can't take the kids money". Ok so what are we teaching him, we don't have the means to give him money for first and last. He can't go to the army says job corp is too much work, and for the last month he has supposed to found a Full time job and just takes off with his friends at 9am and then stays out all night and does who knows what. I know my H is getting tired too but I am soooooooooo unsure on what the heck to do. I do want him to go his own way though. This has been so rough on everyone!

sparky's picture

You need to take control of your house. The 8 yo needs a room of his own room.

Felicity's picture

If he is only dropping in one night a week, give the room back to your son. Do you have any space under the house or elsewhere to store your stepsons belongings? If you do then I would pack all of his things up so your son can have his room back and when your stepson deigns to visit he can sleep on the couch or go back to a friends place. I reclaimed my stepson's room after he moved out and put all of his things into boxes and stored them up in the roof. If he hasa problem with these new arrangements, tell him that he does not behave like a member of the family by helping out with chores and paying rent or board so it seems unfair that your son has to share with his little sister when his room is sitting empty most of the week.

bewitched's picture

"To Thine Own Self Be True" William Shakesphere

You may be getting the support of your DH when it comes to the disrespect, but obviously, you're not getting enough.

Why did your BS give up his room for this young man? Obviously this is fairly recent, so how was the decision arrived at?

Maybe your DH could learn a little something by reading some of Rags posts regarding the behaviours of his SS.

Give him a limit. I did this with my own BS. I told him he could stay with me for a couple of months, rent free, in order to save up enough $$$ to get his own place. In other words, get a job and save your money, because you are soooo going to need it. No backing down. At the end of that period of time, you are on your own. Man up.

susieq's picture

Please would you post the link for the rags posts you mention above....sounds like I need them too. Thx