You are here

2 months into primary physical custody

DW's picture

I would first like to say that I hope it's okay for me to post in the Father's Den even though I am a step mom. I honestly just like the way you guys discuss things here, more than I do the other parts of this forum where you get multiple crazy, end-of-the-rope step moms who give pretty bad and emotionally imbalanced advice. So hopefully it's cool with you guys with me being here.

I am the SM of a 7-year-old boy whose BM has finally given my boyfriend primary physical custody. SS stays with us on the weekdays, and visits BM on the weekends. I met SS when he was 3, and the custody agreement was to switch off weekly between homes. That has been very hard on the kid when he started school. BM did not exert any effort to help teach and explain the homework to her son; she just gave him answers when she felt like doing homework with him, other days, she let her younger sister "help" with homework, who does pretty much the same thing as BM. When he is with us, my SO and I are both very active in his homework, teaching him the concept of what he is learning. And once he spends the week at his mom's he forgets everything, and it made him struggle in school. On top of that, every week with no fail, there has been at least one complaint from his teacher regarding his behavior (hitting or being disruptive). It was worse when BM got pregnant, and had SS's sister. BM already exerted no effort towards SS on things that are important, now BM has no effort towards SS on just spending time with him.

BM would call my SO on her weeks with SS, saying that she's had enough, and that she can't handle him anymore, and SS is next to her, hearing all of this, and my SO can hear his son crying in the background. On BM's weeks with him, SS, who was 5 at that time, has already began to refuse to do his homework and cry, refused to go to school, stolen from stores, and had hit his BM and BM's sister because "they were being annoying". SS never got punished by BM. SS has never acted like that in our home ever. Although my SO and I spoke to him about why it's wrong to do those things, it wasn't fair for us to punish him for actions that he has never shown us. It was a very stressful time for the kid and us. BM was expecting my SO to parent SS in both houses.

So like I said, BM finally gave up and let us have him on weekdays. We enrolled my SS in a better elementary school down the street from our house. From the beginning, BM made it clear that she will not be doing any picking up or dropping off to school because she just "can't" do it. My SS has zero complaints from his teacher on anything, and he is now advanced in math (his previously weakest subject). In the beginning couple of weeks of the new custody agreement, my SS missed his mother and baby sister. His BM even had a couple of weekends when she decided to go to Las Vegas, and I had to be the one to explain to her son that he will see her the following weekend, and he was not abandoned. Eventually, he accepted that this was his mother's choice, that it's just easier for her to let us do the parenting, and he can have fun with her on the weekends.

I am so happy just to be able to see him more. There are difficult days, when of course, my pride gets hurt because he speaks about how great his mom is. But I'm an adult, and I can understand what he is feeling. He loves his mom, even though she is okay with not being there for him. Overall, he's a great kid, he listens when he is disciplined, and his attitude is very good. He refers to me as his mom when he talks to his friends and teacher, and there are so many moments that are fulfilling to me as a step parent. I'm so glad to have him here. Hopefully everything will continue smoothly.

Willow2010's picture

where you get multiple crazy, end-of-the-rope step moms who give pretty bad and emotionally imbalanced advice
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
:jawdrop: ---- LMBO!!!

DW's picture

If you don't know, then you don't have to get upset about it. If you're not one of those "crazy, end-of-the-rope step moms who give pretty bad and emotionally imbalanced advice", then you have nothing to get mad about, right?

I did just educate you though. "Imbalanced" is an actual word. You learn something new everyday! Smile You're welcome.

Auteur's picture

" get multiple crazy, end-of-the-rope step moms who give pretty bad and emotionally imbalanced advice"

Hmmmmm. I think you need to walk a mile in some of these SMs with UNSUPPORTIVE BIODADS and crazy, vindictive, psycho, vendetta-driven BMs shoes BEFORE you pass judgement.

Only had primary custody for two months (check)

"WE" enrolled him in a better school"--indicating that DH is on the same page as you (check)

SS realizes that there is ENFORCED structure and boundaries in your home (check)

Let's take away the supportive DH, ramp up the BM PAS, and have biodad make you the ogre and we'll see how happy you'll be to see him more.

Just sayin' Wink

bearcub25's picture

Or your SS12, who acts like a 5yo, is suspended every week for 3 weeks. Meaning that either the SM has to stay home with him or your SO/DH which costs him about $75 of his paycheck so that the SM has to pick up the slack (who already pays all bills/utilities and food).

Oh and each time SS has been suspended, there hasn't been any grounding or punishment. Wednesday was the third week in a row...the kid can't go to school but he does get to go to a really cool Halloween party tonight!!!

DW's picture

If your SO is not supportive of you, then you're crazy for staying with him, just sayin'. It's a "you" problem for staying in a relationship where it's okay for someone else's children to walk all over you. I mean can you imagine that? The man or woman who claims to love you so much is letting little kids make you feel like crap.

DW's picture

OHHH, I get it. So Maux calls the stepdaughters assholes.. yea sorry that line TOTALLY doesn't apply to him/her then.

skylarksms's picture

Did you have something you wanted advice on? Or was this post a veiled attempt to bash SMs who don't have it as "smoothly" as you do?

DW's picture

Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was a forum where parents and step parents can come to discuss their situations. Not just to ask advice. This is a community, and we read about each other's efforts and successes, not just stories about things falling apart. Were you going to contribute to this thread or was that just you being stung by one line in my entire post? If you read past me saying what you chose to dwell upon, you would have read that is HASN'T been smooth. It has just now come to the point of having more involvement in my SS's life, and I do believe that it's been benefiting him largely.

aggravated1's picture

I am stuck on trying to figure out why a woman posts on a stepparents board but only wants to talk to the guys..are you looking for a date or something??

DW's picture

No, but I most of the time, the threads here are very informative and progressive. And I think it's because the step dads, and (not today though) the step moms who choose to discuss here are very reasonable. I just wanted to point out the difference between this part of the forum and the rest of it. But what I said IS very judgmental, and I'm not sorry that I offended all of you. Because it's true, so many of them have warped into relationships they don't have to be in, and to deal with children they don't have to take shit from. I have attracted the wrong crowd to this thread, and that is not my intention. I apologize to the men and women who come here to not read threads like what this one has become.

aggravated1's picture

Yes, and you are the very soul of reason and tact.

This is what I think.....that most of us women would see right through your sham of a post that you were too scared/insecure/threatened to post on a regular forum. So you thought you would play the whole "guys are cooler" act and kiss up to the men, while shit talking about the SM's. Your tough luck that is was noticed and you were called out on it.
And as for not being sorry you offended people? Says WORLDS about you and your character. I wouldn't take your apology if it was written in blood on DH's ex wife's leathery hide.

DW's picture

Not scared/insecure/threatened at all. Just... hoping to bypass you, but it didn't work. I didn't think you'd check here, to be honest. Biggrin

A lot of people are offended by the truth.

aggravated1's picture

You are correct. I generally would not check a stepDAD forum, since I am NOT ONE.

"A lot of people are offended by the truth"
Sorry you are offended then. I guess my truth that you are scared/insecure/threatened is at least as good as your "truth" in judging most stepmoms on this forum as morons.

DW's picture

LOL yea nobody's interested in stories that are not about the end of the world anymore. It's not anyone's fault, that's just what society is these days.

overit2's picture

Well how refreshing, it's everybody else's damn fault...now the guys are insulted too! LOL

Just run along now...

overit2's picture

OH LAWD>>>>>give her time!!! I came 'around' LMBO!!!

If your SO is not supportive of you, THEN YOUR CRAZY for staying with him, just sayin'. IT'S A 'YOU' PROBLEM for staying in a relationship where it's okay for someone else's children to walk all over you. I mean can you imagine that? The man or woman who claims to love you so much is letting little kids make you feel like crap.

More insults Smile

DW I suggest you come in differently-reason being I came in a couple years ago to this board like you just did...and just because your dh is supportive of you NOW doesn't mean he won't change his tune if guilt ever sets in...and you never know if/when it will....my bf was very supportive of me and did not guilt parent when we met....2yrs in guilt has creeped in and his tune is very different. To the point i now refuse to have SD in my house for a while until he can parent properly and back me up.

A lot of these guys don't change their tune until the women are married and have children w/this man or are financially entangled, not to easy to get up and leave the way things are. Even those whose husbands are good men to them and the only problem IS the skid-they may not necessarily want to give up their marriage over one entitled, rotten apple (skid).

And IMHO this 'kid w/NCP on every wknd' is unfair on ALL ends. The NCP has to live up to the disney stereotype, you guys get ALL your wknds free to yourselves -which are the LONG days with skids...NCP doesn't share in any of the responsibilities...also child doesn't get to spend any DOWN and wknd fun time with you guys. It really must work for you though to have those free wknds-be careful when throwing stones.

DW's picture

It's not an insult, but more of a life truth. You choose to be treated the way you are treated.

There have been weekends already when the BM didn't want to step up and pick him up, so we get downtime. It's no problem.

But you're right, who knows what the future brings? One thing's for sure, if the situation between me and my SO changes (like when he starts acting like how your DH acts after you have kids together), I still won't stick around. Your kids are happy when you're happy.

overit2's picture

Considering that MOST DADS eventually exhibit this behavior....what do you keep divorcing and what point do you stop? For many one divorce is plenty-or NO divorce isn't an option. Who are you to judge that? Women DO come here at the end of their rope if they feel frustrated w/their situation and vent.

And this line is quite ignorant "It's not an insult, but more of a life truth. You choose to be treated the way you are treated."

Tells me you know little/nothing about the realites of life. Believe me these women don't CHOSE to be mistreated anymore then an abuse victim chooses to be abused. You're digging a deeper hole, quite while you're already behind mmmkk???

skylarksms's picture

Just another shit stirrer, IMHO. Give me a break. You act all SHOCKED that people would get upset for being lumped into a general insulting category. :?

emotionaly beat up's picture

Okay now I'm lost, I thought this was a site where step parents come to vent get support and in the reading of other people's experiences don't feel so alone.

I didn't get the question in DW's post that she needed male assistance with. It seemed more like a public pat on the back to herself to me. But I may have missed the point of her post perhaps. I was just so shocked at the way she began it.

I am also confused as to why if she has such a supportive partner she is on this site at all, other than of course to insult a whole lot of people.

It is one thing to look down your nose at others in the privacy of your own home, it is another to use this forum to publically insult others whilst giving yourself a public pat on the back.

I hope your world always stays as well as you say it is, and I sincerely mean that, but show some compassion for those less fortunate than yourself please.