You are here

Rude SGD

lafield's picture

My SGD used to be a very pleasant, fun girl when my son first started dating her mom. She's now 14 and unbearable. In the meantime, my only grandchild was born and is now 3 and a grandson is on the way. In her defense, the SGD lost her bio father to murder last year and her BM has suffered with an addiction. She was the sole center of attention for most of her life living with her grandparents and BM. When I'm around her, she sulks, takes things from the baby, is rough with the baby, complains, constantly asks for food, won't share food with the baby, will ask to go when I pick up the baby just to get to another family members' home or to go out to eat. Some of my recent visits included a whining fit about not getting McDonalds that I bought 3 yr old during our 3 hour trip back to her house and carrying on that I gave the 3 year old one cereal bar out of 2 full boxes that were "hers." The BM consoled her for this, stating she would buy her more at the store.

I try to be fair. I've brought SGD to my home to visit alone. She threw a fit because the internet was down and primarily stayed on her phone with her bio grandma, friends, etc. even while I was taking her out to dinner or riding alone with her in the vehicle. When she invites herself along on outings with me and BGD, she tends to keep my BGD attention on her and I don't get to interact with my own granddaughter much. I fear that BM will cut me out of their lives in a heartbeat if I take any misstep. 

Is it unfair to just want to spend time alone with my bio grandchildren?

la_dulce_vida's picture

When my kids were of different ages, their grandparents would take them one at a time. Sometimes my mother-in-law wanted to have time with the baby. Sometimes my mother-in-law wanted to hang out with the toddler. And sometimes my mother-in-law, just wanted the older kid. 

As a grandma, you have a right to say you just wanna hang out with the three-year-old. And I think it's OK to tell the 13 year olds mom that she doesn't seem to be having too much fun with you.

Patience2000's picture

BM will cut you of their lives if she feels like it. I've been there, and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Patience2000's picture

I hear so much frustration from everyone, including myself. In the end, the SK has the say if you see SGK's. It does sound like you are trying to be so fair, and have a lot of "patience". The child does sound like there has been a lot of trauma in her life. You are being fair, and don't feel guilty about spending time alone with your bio grands.

lafield's picture

No reason to be sorry. That's the truth with all of the posts on here. The other side will do what they want and we have no control over it. I try to keep the peace, not hurt anyone's feelings, and not put my son in the middle. 

ESMOD's picture

Honestly.. I don't think it's unusual at all for grandparents to see even all their bio grandkids at different times.. intervals..etc.. depending on proximity.. closeness in relationship.. ages.. just all sorts of factors.

So.. absolutely.. you can and should personally spend as much time as you want (and their parents are ok with..lol). with your bio grandchildren.  Your HUSBAND can choose to spend time with HIS bio grandchild that is older if HE wants to.. and you would be kind to host her yourself.. and not be totally exclusionary.. but no guilt to make things absolutely equal with her.. you can't make up for the fact that she has failures for parents.. (or had).. it's sad.. but not your making.. and not really something you will be in control of fixing.. 

ndc's picture

Nope, it's not unfair to want to spend time only with your bio grandkids. Teenagers (especially ones that aren't related to you) can be unpleasant to be around, and doing things with kids of very different ages can be difficult. But if your DIL is the type that will restrict your access to your grandchildren if you don't take both kids, and your son won't/can't overrule that, you may have to play by her rules.  

AgedOut's picture

different ages, different interests, different visits. do the 14 yr old's first, take her to a movie and lunch. then the 3yr old's visit alone and if the 14 yr old complains remind her and her mom firmly that she had her private visit, this time wasn't for her so she will not be going too.

Winterglow's picture

You want to be fair but it isn't fair... to your GD. There is no way to blend a visit with a teen and a toddler. She doesn't get to invite herself.  Doesn't she have any bio grands at all?

I understand your desire to make her happy but she clearly doesn't want to be happy, she wants to be miserable and make everyone else miserable. This isn't uncommon with teens.

Tell her mother that she has outgrown you and that she needs to find another solution for her daughter because she hates being with you. She is not your responsibility. Her mother sees you as a babysitter who takes her daughter off her hands for a while.

Not your monkey.... 

Give your bio grands the love and attention they deserve and that you want to give.

Rags's picture

As for your GSkid's behavior, do not tolerate it. When she is with you, she behaves. Period dot.  When you have both the BGK and the GSkid, keep the GSkid controlled so they can have some interface, but you can have some discussion time iwth your BGK.

When GSkid whines and manipulates. Put her ass in an isolated corner to hold the walls together with her nose until she gains clarity that she has no choice but to adhere to the behavioral and performance standards YOU require when kids are in your presence.

If your BGK misbehaves, the same standards and consequences should apply.

IMHO of course.

Kloewent's picture

Not sure  if you live close, but why not take the little one during school hours. You could make a weekly thing. Then older kid can't come.

lafield's picture

I'm 2.5 hours away unfortunately