You are here

Do I get a say in her behaviour?

anonymous1306's picture

My partner and I each have our own little girls, mine is almost 5 and his daughter is 3. We've lived together for almost a year, and lately his daughters behaviour is taking it's toll on me. I've always been very strict with my daughter in relation to behaviour. Bad behaviour gets punished (naughty step, no treats etc) and i get extremely frustrated with my partner and how he just seems to ignore the bad things his daughter does. I've expressed to him how bad it is, and i got told 'i have too much of an opinion for something that's none of my business'. He would have her for the weekend and then just pop out for 10 minutes (more like an hour) to the shop and leave me babysitting. Which is no problem but when its his weekend with her and i've spent more time with her than he has then i've got a huge issue as i also want to spend more time with my daughter. I never ask him to look after my daughter simply so he can't throw it in my face to look after his daughter. Even just today he cooked us all an amazing roast dinner and she refused to eat it, he then offered her a yoghurt and i had to put my foot down as it goes against every single rule i've brought up my daughter (if you dont eat it all, no treat) and right in front of her face! I thought the no treat rule was BASIC parenting. She cried pretty much the whole meal and i had to get up twice and put her back up the table. We've argued before and he said he doesn't like to tell her off as he doesnt have her that much in which my reply was if you set the boundaries then she'll learn and you wont have to tell her anymore. I worry that my daughter is going to see him completely breaking the rules for his daughter. His daughter is so stroppy, moaning or crying every single time something doesn't go her way. Her tantrums are ridiculous and ive suggested him to just ignore her as when she's with me she never tantrums cause i blank her and carry on as though she's not there but she knows she can play daddy like a fiddle and he'll back down. Ive told him he needs to be more firm and PARENT her rather than being her friend as he really is making a rod for his own back and he's not the only one who has to deal with it. Im starting to regret having him move in as i cant even escape when i need to. Im starting to HATE the weekends he has her. We've also argued as he told me she slept through apart from when she is teething so i said she could go in with my daughter and they share a room but i've since told him no as so far she's been teething solidly for a year. i feel like the sleeping through was bullshit and my daughter has just started school so she is not being woken up by it. Im not saying my daughter is an angel as she has her moments. All days out are ruined and he recently suggested a holiday with the kids and i can literally think of NOTHING worse. His daughter runs away and he doesnt tell her off and just runs after her which is great until she runs into the road and gets hit by a car! If he could accept there was some work to be done i'd be happily help with no judgement but how can you help someone who sees no issue and has rose coloured glasses on?! 

ESMOD's picture

Yes... sorry Honey but if he refuses to parent that girl.. her behavior will never get better and it doesn't improve with age.  A 3 YO acting like a 3YO is one thing.. a 10 yo acting like one?  YIKES...

The fact that he wants to dump her onto you to care for but doesn't want your input on her care?  NoPE!  

He may have some sweet qualities.. but if he doesn't start with some parenting.. it's going to be bad.

Now.. I will soften my judgment of him just a tiny bit because the girl is 3.  Not every 3 yo is the same as the others.. and moving from place to place at that age may be a bit confusing and overwhelming and make her behavior worse.  But.. still no excuse to not parent at all.

NotThatTypical's picture

Even a babysitter has a right to enforce behavior standards. Either he supports you or he takes complete and total care of his child. No more leaving her with you while he runs to the store.

My SO and I might do things different but the kids know when they are with me what I say goes. SO may not completely agree but he will back me.

tog redux's picture

Isn't he the one who drives a truck during the week and so wants extra time with her on the weekends, taking her on the weekends that aren't his?  And he leaves her with you after taking her for extra time?

I see you have realized he's not an "amazing father".  Seems like this is not going to work out.

Harry's picture

Be on there boards.   Time to leave it's never going to get better.  Older she gets the worst it's going to be. For you. 
you are looking for advice on how to fix your SO.  And your life.  You can't fix your SO. This is the way he is 

SSstepmom's picture

Same thing happened here. Only my bios and his bios and all teens. Their behavior was horrendous. I would be disrespected left and right and told I was not their mother. They live with us full time and have not seen their bio mom since they were babies. I finally had to put my foot down and tell my SKs and dh that I am not trying to be your mom but when I am the parent home I am in charge of behavior and refuse to be disrespected. I allowed them to stay home with me while dh worked but anything else he had to do he had to take them until their behavior changed. I was not going to go crazy because these kids weren't parented right before I came along. They had a stepmom for years that was not nice to them at all. So I understood but was not allowing them to do whatever they pleased in the home we all live in. My bios couldn't believe someone was talking to their mom like that. Your daughter will suffer for this to if it does not change. My dh stood by me and saw what was happening. Put his foot down and In a couple months we had a totally different respectful relationship with all the kids. It's not easy and if my dh didn't respect the way I felt I would have been out 

aarias's picture

I'm in the same boat only exception is my Step kids are  Girl 12, Girl 10 and boy 6. We have a Girl 2 and it drive me crazy how different they are being raised But he doesn't see anything wrong with it. Mind you we have them 24 7 for the passed 3 1\2 years.