You are here

Family Holiday

anonymous1306's picture

So we have a family holiday booked in about 6 weeks, and since christmas my stepdaughters behaviour has gotten out of control. You can't play a game with her without her kicking off and thrashing around on the floor, throwing pillows off the couch and kicking my partner. We had her just this weekend and she's was absolutely horrendous all weekend. Her behaviour has always been really bad but she had improved over the past couple of months. I'm now at the stage where i'm dreading the weekends we have her as I always have a daughter who I share custody with her dad and although I have her all week, I only have her for one weekend where her dad has her the other. Her bad behaviour now ruins my weekend with my daughter as I dread her coming. Every time I'm doing a covid lateral test i'm praying for a positive so it's 7-10 days of freedom from tantrums and kick offs. I feel absolutely awful but it's been 3 years now and I dont care for her at all - like she ignores what I tell her to do, she gives me filthy looks when she doesn't like what I have to say. I'm really at the point of cancelling the holiday as it's covered by covid guarantee so I can cancel for up to 2 weeks before. The only reason I am still going is that my daughter is really looking forward to it and the last thing I want to do is punish her for my SD bad behaviour. I feel like saying to my partner that I don't want her there as her behaviour is so bad that she doesn't deserve to have a holiday when she's awful to everyone and doesn't appreciate everything. And with it being so full on, she'll be more tired and more moody and irritable. Her behaviour has been so bad at points that her nursery had mentioned possibly autism. I don't know how to deal with the situation as I am dreading this holiday when I should really look forward to it. I can barely cope with the 2 days he has her at the weekend, let alone having to do 7 solid days when we should all be having a nice time! Would it be completely awful to basically say she either doesn't come or we cancel the holiday? 

Winterglow's picture

So what is your bf doing to parent her? How does he react to her tantrums? Where is he when she throws a fit and what is he doing to curtail it? 

anonymous1306's picture

It's usually the naughty step however she just screams at him or kicks and hits the step and screams just to make noise, he says last chance about 12 times before he actually does anything. She doesn't listen to me, just ignores me so I can't do anything to help and when I have before he told me to stay out of it. I refuse to watch her if he has to go somewhere as I won't be disrespected in my own house and she always kicks off over something when I set boundaries.

Winterglow's picture

So he isn't parenting her. How about some parenting classes for him? And you're right, if he leaves the house, she goes with him 

Thumper's picture

Your boyfriends daughter is 3 or 4, right? 

At that age going to the zoo, maybe a hotel for 1 night would be ok for her, Since she is having melt downs all of the time, . But a long holiday---NOPE I would book long trips when she is not there---for now at least. 

It is OK to have different vacations for different kids needs. Maybe you felt awful for considering that??? Please don't, ok?

cmd88's picture

Like other posters have said in a few blogs. Maybe it's best to disengage if you haven't already. I have worked with children with a lot of different varitions of behavior. Autism is more in males than females, but I wouldn't totally count it out. I would maybe have a sit down with your S/O about getting her tested for Autism or ADHD, or maybe suggest some behavioral therapy. 

I think I missed how old your SD was? I know that they usually cannot diagnose a child or treat a child for ADHD until they are 5 and up. I know it sucks that your SD seems to have some awful behavioral issues, is it possible this stems from BM's house? I definitely would recommend bringing her to a medical professional first and foremost, and if that's not it. Then I would talk with S/O about discipline and boundaries. 

If SD goes on vacation, let him do the disciplining and try to just enjoy yourself. It's hard with all of the screaming and kicking, but at this point, so you're not stressing out, just disengage. 

shamds's picture

To see how she addressed tantrumy unruly kids.

my skids were sd23, ss20 and sd13 at the time and we didn't take them on mini getaways to celebrate our wedding anniversary, birthday or romantic getaways even yearly trip to Australia where i'm from. Nope skids stayed home

my husband in fact told his son 2 yrs ago that due to his behaviour towards us, hubby would not be bringing him on yearly trips to Australia because he made it very clear we weren't family from the disrespect and shunning etc of me and my 2 young kids with hubby and therefore none of us wanted a holiday sabotaged or for any of us to be made to feel unwelcome in our own home

he told ss that this was on him for what? His own mum disowned him over 12.5 yrs ago, he barely has a relationship with his full sisters as they're brainwashed and controlled by bio mum, now he has people that just wanna get along but he chose to be an arsehole for nothing so he needs to ware the consequences of his actions. That none of us want to torture ourselves with his miserable disrespectful presence.

ss claimed it wasn't intentional how he treats us but he knows he actively shuns us and treats us with disrespect which means it is intentional. Hubby told him that he could spend holidays alone and reflect on the person he is but hubby isn't sabotaging a holiday with us for his adult son to come along and ruin it

as for sd's, the miniwives from hell!! Nope, no events/holidays or getaways will they be on. They have no respect for our boundaries and privacy. The last trip had then sd24, bang our bedroom door at 7am wanting to get a bag of sugar from the car to gift to her aunt who wasn't even using it.

sd knew daddy was likely having husband and wifey sexy time as our bedroom door was closed and she needed to make herself relevant. Believe me, hubby didn't get sex for a few weeks because that incident destroyed any intimacy we had and hubby realised they just weren't worth it bringing along to destroy or interfere in our marriage relationship.

if skids refuse to be pleasant, then they don't get to go on the trip and stay home. Honestly, i'd suggest bringing your daughter along only and telling hubby to be home alone with his daughter as none of you wanted your holiday ruined and claim refunds for hubby and sd ticket etc

Loxy's picture

I put my foot down about 3 years ago after yet another stressful holiday thanks to SD's poor behaivour and decided I would no longer go on holidays (other than a weekend away perhaps) with my skids again. She's much older (17 now) but has pretty much ruined every family holiday we have ever had. One more year until she's 18 and then I hope we can start taking holidays again with my SS15 (who is lovely) and my DS3. 

ESMOD's picture

If she is only 3 or 4 you all should have planned holiday with her age in mind.  Given her past behavior, it seems like you would be asking a lot of her to maintain for a week in a strange place!  

And... you know your BF isn't parenting her well.. so maybe the solution is you take separate vacations with your kids?  Your BF is not your child's father.. so it's not like you are asking her dad to not go with her.  You take a nice mother daughter trip.. and your BF can do a trip with his child.. then maybe you can do things as a couple and both kids can stay with their other parents for that time?  Maybe she will mature over time and more can be done.. but with his parenting.. don't hold out too much hope

CLove's picture

Your skid sounds like something is def wrong. She needs to be diagnosed.

Cancel trip until she has been examined. Her father needs to parent her more not less.

Ispofacto's picture

Killjoy ruined every single vacation we went on.  We would have been better of not going at all.  If a child is so badly behaved at home, being around her 24/7 will ruin your vacation.  The resentment will ruin your relationship.

Cancel the trip or go with just your child.

Rags's picture

This is what your SO's X is for.  Your SO needs to decline visitaiton for that holiday period.  SD can learn that her behavior has consequences.

How iold is this kid btw?

Someoneelse's picture

I wish i could opt out of going on holidays with sd. SD always makes our trips miserable. I'm lucky last summer she opted out of visiting us for MONTHS we've only seen her 4 or 5 times since july 1st. But the summer before, she faked a sprained ankle, then when told "oh, it looks like you're feeling better, since you haven't been limping/ favoring that foot", she throws a fit and cries that were calling her a liar (which i was totally calling her out, but i was being super nice, had a nice concerned tone)  the time before, we went to Disney, and she was trying to dictate what we were going to do the entire time, actually that's just how she is in general lol,  so i can apply that to EVERY trip we go on.