You are here

Stepsnot mind meld from disengaging

DAWNMARIE1227's picture
Forums: 

I began disenagaing a few weeks ago. I had given it a number of attempts but it always felt like I was trapped in my own home attempting  not to engage.

This time, after reading here for many months, I tried a different  approach.  I learned my lesson from SS 20 now, SS 14 wants to push my boundaries. This is more than teenage drama. This has been going on at their BM urging for years. I have be . With DH for 11. 

Stepsnot was sick, he had the flu and BM , who can't  do a damn thing right, took him to a walk in medical place who gave him Tamiflu. I was sick for a full 2 weeks prior to this with a sinus infection. She has her life to get back to; you know... stringing along 3 men at the same time and sponging off her aging parents. ( she is 41 years old. Gets fired from every job she gets for lying or stealing, has no vehicle and no home.  Her parents house looks like like an episode of hoarders.  She Just sponges off her parents). Sends stepsnot  back to our house and has him lie he feels better. He wasn't. Days later, we are all sick again. 

Kid barely speaks to me, so I came in from work, I work shifts at my job, and was eating as he got ready for school. I was clearly really sick, downed some thera-flu and went to bed. I stopped hiding in my own house. If he wants to ignore me or only talk to me when he needs something  then he can deal with my disengaging.  In fact my DH and him can deal with it. I was doing it all wrong  before.

When I woke up, he was home from school. He didn't  say anything  again to me and DH was looking puzzled. As if he never  noticed it before. Unreal. 

He was leaving and he said " Do you want a hug?" Now... if I say no, because this is a show in front of his father  because he noticed it AND he knows he wasn't  better and came back and got us all sick again. I look like some bitch that won't  take a hug from a kid right? If I say yes, he successfully manipulates  the situation after months and months and years or basically ignoring me. I said " since when do you want to hug me goodbye?" He had no answers.  I said " Don't  you think that is a little weird, given you don't  even speak to me most of the time unless your Father is present?" . He didn't  know where to go. 

I said " You knew you didn't  feel better and so did your mother and you came back here anyway sick and got  is sick . How about you try washing your hands or using a tissue or covering your mouth  when you cough and save hugs for people you actually want to hug" 

He only did it because he knew DH noticed it and he knew he lied about feeling better. 

He didn't  know which way to go. Hid, stayed in HIS room until BM showed up to pick  him up late as usual. 

She gets him once in a blue moon and you'd  think she was something really special when she comes  , always late , to get him. Nothing is ever done for him when she gets him and he is basically  a babysitter for his sister . Another kid from another man.

We have full custody of him and did his brother too. 

I think the key is owning your own space. I hid trying to disengage.  I'm not hiding in my own home and he has NO reason to act like he does with me.  He can get out of MY way at this point. It's  my house, was before they all came along

His choice.  He can be happy to live in mountains of crap in BM parents place or act like a normal person in mine. 

DAWNMARIE1227's picture

I forgot  to say... he asked if I wanted a hug in front of DH. Waited until my husband came in and asked.

Honestly,  I'm not sure about any of you, but the last thing I want is someone hanging  on me when  I feel like sh*t. He waited in order to make a show of it.

Glad husband finally saw it because the older one nearly killed me with stress. My husband knows i will not be repeating  that life with this kid.  

I also belong on the board no bio kids. Now i know why i didn't  want them.

Swim_Mom's picture

I just love the way you called him out on his show in front of DH - awesome job! 

tog redux's picture

Disengaging doesn't mean you just put up with bad behavior and stay silent.  It means you stop trying to parent or change the dynamic in the home. But you have every right to set boundaries and call out bad behavior that is directed towards you.  You also always have every right to point out to DH the truth of what is going on when he's not around.

shamds's picture

My arm would be stretched out to say no and i’d be like “get away from me weirdo!! You don’t even acknowledge me and since i am the stranger and housemaid as you claim, you’re so full of shi* to ask if i want a hug

DAWNMARIE1227's picture

It continues. DH and I have legit flu. Ex - wife calls asking when she can drop SS 14 off as she only has use of her parents car for a short window of time. ( reminding, she is 41 years old).I said as they discussed it,and DH is busy making excuses and over-splaining that we have the flu, when I just lost  my patience. " What part of influenza are you not hearing him say? Are you in such a hurry to get rid of your kid that you suddenly don't  HEAR? We have the flu. You'll  have to get him to school tomorrow  for the first time in 3 years!"

She said," What did she say?!" All indignant  like how dare I tell her to take her kid to school for a few days.

"I SAID... Set an alarm, get up, feed him and take him  to F'ing school . Is that simple enough?"

Her complaining about no car and DH entertaining it. 

" Get an uber" I say

She asks if I'm being facetious.  I said no.. she asked if I knew what facetious  was lol

I said." Of course I know what facetious  is. I'm F'ing Canadian we practically invented it.. along with passive aggression which is totally lost on you....mumble.. stupid bitch... ( sorry not sorry) This conversation  is over.  And left the room.

I'm usually really passive so this is new.  Perimenopause  suits me! 

I also disengaged from DH for entertaining  her crap. I've  truly had it. 

This gets easier and easier once you find your flow. 

shamds's picture

And its so beneath them to use public transport.

i’ve been livid at hubbys family (some are serial germ spreaders) and claim ignorance when the germs spread and they don’t practice basic hygiene.

here you have a bio mum actively pushing to send her kid into the influenza firing line. Total mother of the year behaviour right?? Meeeh get my kid sick, who gives a stuff because I don’t really care and wouldn’t really nurse him.

Harry's picture

If you are disengaging , his sickness is not your problem.  Just make DH clean up after him. Using a lot of disinfection.  There is no hugs, no special food because he sick.  Your DH has to know you are disengaging, so why is he upset.  

DH should be upset at himself for his bad parenting.  It's his bad parenting that caused this disengagement.   If he parent correctly this would never happen.  His kid would respect you and his home with you and his BF