You are here

Extremely Overweight SD and Don't Want Our Kids to be the Same

djmillard22's picture
Forums: 

I have lived with my husband for 3 years. When we first got together his SD of 14 was living with BM and all was good. He would visit her once or twice a week. But then, a year, she decided she didn't want to live with her BM anymore and wanted to move in with us. I couldn't say no as this was DH dream. The first few months were all sweet like a honeymoon period but now 10 months later, she is horrible. She is the typical SD that is rude, lazy, messy and a waste of space. Not only is she all of this, but she is 16 years old and 200 pounds. I cant stand being around her anymore. At the beginning she was interested in losing weight but realised the hard work she needs to put in so stopped completely. Literally all day she spends lying on her bed on her phone. I mention this to DH and spoke to her about this so now all she does is either lie in bed or on the couch. I cant see much different. Everytime I try to speak to DH about her health, he says he is aware of it and just slowly things will change but nothing has changed in 6 months. He makes deals with her like 'You can have an iphone if you start exercising', gives her the phone but she never starts exercising. She complaints we never ask her to do stuff with her but every time I ask her to come for a walk with us or play with the dogs, she says no. The only activities DH and SD do together is watch movies but this annoys me as I feel like it only encourages her to be more lazy and non active. I'm not sure if I should just ignore this problem and use the mantra 'it's not my problem' and stay out of it?
But my real question is: DH and I want to have children of our own and I want to bring up the topic that our children will not be lazy and extremely overweight. And if they are, they won't be allowed to use their phones all day and we will take them off them if needed. I'm just not sure how to bring up this topic without getting into an argument of how he is raising SD.

witch.hazel's picture

Your kids will have a different genetic makeup, and there will be so many years between them that she will not be a great influence on how they live. They will not be overweight because of SD.

It's not a good conversation to start unless you want a bitter argument. He'll see it as an attack on his daughter and on himself as a parent.

Her weight might bother you, but overall it isn't your problem. Ignore it and let her be. It's DH and BM's making.

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

You need to stop worrying about her. She's 16 and you're not going to have much impact on this if your DH doesn't care enough to really step up to the plate.

As for children together you don't need to worry about how she will influence them. Just because she's overweight doesn't mean you can't raise healthy children. Also she should be out of the house soon enough that really she wont have much impact on them.

I would stop worrying.

not your momma's picture

Has anyone had her checked to see if she has an underlying medical issue that is either causing or contributing to her weight gain? While she seems to have some rather typical teenage laziness, that might not be the only reason she is overweight.

Dovina's picture

IMO do not bring SD up when talking about how you want it to be raising your children. You can talk about how you want active children, setting boundaries, and proper parenting without mentioning her name. Let your DH know how you see raising children keeping them fit, active, healthy, behavior with consequences etc. Encourage his input, and maybe ask what he believes he would do the same and/or different the second time around.
Good luck

BethAnne's picture

You have tried with your sd but she is not interested right now. Maybe one day she will be and she will come to you for advice. But right now she has to have the internal motivation or it won’t work. So leave things be.

As for your children, they will be different people, have different parents and are being raised in a different household to your sd. They are not destined to follow in her footsteps and even if they do, you will discover as a parent to overweight children thatbthere are worse things that could happen to them than being over weight.

As for now, there is nothing to talk to your husband about. Your children have no issues right now, they have not even been conceived. Save the conversation for when your kids are teens and getting a bit overweight, and even then, focus on your children, not sd.

strugglingSM's picture

You will also be a parent to your children, so you can instill healthy habits in them starting when they are young. You mention dogs, so make it a regular thing that your kids go out with you to walk the dogs - even in a stroller before they can walk. When they're teenagers, walking the dogs will be so much of a habit that they won't think twice about it. Also, do lots of active things with them. Part of her issue could be that she was never encouraged to be active. Part of it could also be teenage laziness. Usually incentives like "no iphone unless you exercise" don't work. I also wouldn't try to control her. She has to want to lose the weight herself for it to happen. No one else can make it happen and making her feel shameful about it will likely only make it worse.

Ispofacto's picture

Sounds like her mom instilled poor eating habits, and she may very well be too old to change them.

I had the same problem with my SD. Exercise is really only a very small part of the problem, the major issue is diet. There are two documentaries you can watch on Netflix, the best one is FedUp and the second is Bite Size. The culprit is sugar. No one should be eating that crap, and the whole household could benefit from the elimination of that crap from their diets. I'm not just talking about candy and cookies, I'm talking all refined starches. You can take steps now to make your whole household much healthier. If you are the person who does the grocery shopping for the household, just stop buying it. I did, and we all lost weight, and we all feel better. We still have treats once in awhile, just not even close to every day.

My mom died of metabolic disease at a young age. It's a freakin epidemic. It's the reason our healthcare budgets are in collapse.

Another thing you can look at if you want is the fact that we all also eat too much meat. Way too much. A serving of meat is no more than 2-3 ounces, but really, we can go days (or forever) without eating it. Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is a good documentary for that. Meals should be at least 50% vegetables and whole fruits. Starches should be whole grain and 25% or less of the meal, protein should be 25% or less as well. There are a lot of yummy vegetable dish recipes out there to learn.

And if you think she has too much screentime, you could try taking away her phone when she is home, or cancelling cable tv, but she might just nap more or spend time reading or something. You could try enrolling her in a sport, but really, she's not your problem. When you have your own kids, you can TELL them it's time to go for a walk, and they will have to because you are the mom. They will enjoy playing with you and spending time with you.

notasm3's picture

I love the term "step-pig". That so fit SS32 who I met as an adult.

Before I banished SS I sent tons of good tasting nutritious food to him. But a glutton is a glutton. One cannot change what a pig eats.

Overeating is a psychological issue.