You are here

Very new to this, need input badly

Justdealing's picture

I feel so odd, telling strangers all this crap. But I so desparately need some input so I hope you will bear with me. I met husband 4 years ago. He was married then with 3 boys and I was single with my daughter. When we moved in together, he was divorcing and brought his 3 kids. We could not financially make it and I told him that I could not deal the kids, so he sent them to live with their mom. Before we married, we agreed that when we could support the kids and they were older we could try again to get them. We had 3 years of happiness, and he has taken the role of fathering my daughter - as her father disappeared. Recently, we heard that their mom might put them into foster care. My husband went to court and took custody of 2 of the boys, letting the mother keep the little one because she wanted him. From the start, he has always known I didn't want to do this. I supported his choice because he is an adult and knew the possible consequences. We are not financially ready for this. We live in an apartment that has 780 sq. ft and only 2 bdrms. He works full time but since we only have one car, I am at home 24/7... The boys get on my nerves so bad. I am angry every day and hurt that everything I dreamed of for us is now gone. Let alone the happiness we had. I am exhausted from cleaning, cooking, referee-ing etc all day. There is barely 30 seconds between kids fighting. My daughter is getting angry and depressed (age Dirol because the boys seem to get her into trouble a lot and have no respect for her things. They hate going outside and rebel if I make them put up their Nintendo. They ignore me when I tell them to do/not do stuff. They were never parented well and the oldest (12) has been pissing on the bathroom floor and blaming the younger - or even the dog. This is only a little of my gripes. I love my husband so much that I cannot think of leaving - yet I don't know how long I can deal with this. I am physically sick from it. He gets onto the boys when he's home, but he is at work all day at least 5 days/wk. My daughter is so sad; she thinks he doesn't love her now. He occasionally takes the boys to work with him (to give me a little break) but then my daughter is hurt. He has done nothing "special" with her since they came. I don't know where to turn because I have no family to talk to.

step off already's picture

Some quick thoughts:

1) Are you working or is DH supporting you, your daughter and his sons? If that's the case, it sounds like you and DD got a pretty good deal when you married and he dropped his kids in favor of you and your daugther.
2) You expect him to do special things with your DD? He is trying to do you a favor and get the boys out of your hair. He already gave his sons up for your daughter once; let the man take the kids to work here and there.

Sorry if I got this wrong or am jumping to conclusions, maybe there's more to the story.

But to me it sounds like your DH abandoned HIS kids for you and your daugther and that he let his responsibilities to his boys fall by the wayside in favor of you and your daughters and now you are paying the consequences.

Justdealing's picture

Yes, there is more than you see so I don't blame you for those comments at all. If it helps, I'll clarify. Like I said, we agreed when we married that he could try to get the boys when we got financially stable. At that time, I was in college and working fulltime - supporting us all. He was not working, since he lost his job during the divorce. It isn't that I don't appreciate his working. I would love to use my degree and work, but we cannot afford a second car nor a sitter for 3 children (summer break right now - all are at home). We are truly in financial straits - on foodstamps and barley able to feed the extra kids. This was not a good time to take custody - clearly. But trying to be a good wife, I supported his choice (all the while telling him that it wasn't a good time and there might be serious consequences). And yes, I do expect him to show my daughter the same kind of treatment and affection he has given her for the past 3 years. But instead, he yells at her after knowing only part of whatever situation he caught..and shows favoritism to the boys blatantly. She has no idea what has happened to her. I'm not asking that he not take them with him - its great he is trying to give me a break. I am asking he be fair to my daughter. Who looks at him as if he is her dad - since that's how he made it from the start. Hope that helps clear it up.

Justdealing's picture

Why do you get that impression? I'm not asking for any resources at all. Simply stated we were not ready financially to take them and can now barely afford to feed everyone. And yes, we are in process of petitioning for child support. We just got them three weeks ago.

Justdealing's picture

I have pursued it. Even the state of IL (where my case is)could not locate him. He pays on and off - like sometimes the fed gets ahold of his taxes. I got his last return this past March. Which I gave to my husband to "repay" his support of my daughter. No, he did not pay support for the boys while he wasn't working. I supported us.

Justdealing's picture

Also, its not all about the finances. If you read the entire post, you'd see that other issues are more important. Somehow I feel as if I am being looked at as a money-grubbing lazy-ass. And that could not be further from the truth.

Justdealing's picture

The younger boy is eight and my daughter is seven. They can't be left without constant supervision because they fight Sad The boys gang up on my daughter, refuse to include her in play, etc which all leads to the fights. Whenever I try to sort them out, they try to blame her completely - even though I heard everything from the next room. They take her things and break them on purpose. The oldest broke the head off her only babydoll (which she cherished) because he was angry that he had to play outside for thirty minutes. They are so dirty, I can barely get them to wash or change underwear. At this point, our budget is ranking pretty low due to my near-loss of sanity LOL. To top it off, I learned last night that the foster care thing was not even true :O Kids BM got kicked out of her parents house for a week but they did let her back in and they kept the boys the entire time...

New second wife-step-mom's picture

Well, I hate to tell you this but kids will fight and argue. Little boys love to tease little girls (I have brothers).

Kids are jealous of one another and the attention they get from their parents. They blame each other for mishaps, etc.

Little boys and some little girls hate to take baths and clean up.

All of these things sound normal to me. (I am from a large family).

If I was you I would start working on training the kids (all of them).

And your daughter will now learn to share your DH with the boys since he is THEIR daddy and it sounds like when you came along he has not had any interaction with them on a regular basis.

As it has been said before, when you marry someone with children you always run the risk of those children living permanantly in your home. Sounds like this is what has happened to you.

You have a choice: stay and learn to deal with it OR take your daughter and leave.

Justdealing's picture

So that's the answer for everyone then. Stay and learn or go? I don't think this forum is helping...

Justdealing's picture

I did support his choice to get them as I said. And it isn't that I don't try to care for his boys. Would I stay if the above situation came to pass? Nope. He had that choice 3 years ago; when I was in college and supporting us all. He couldn't find work to help support them back then and his choice was to give them to his ex. That was before we married. I also said before that I would be glad to work, but we can't afford childcare and only have one car - so that's not really viable. Especially since then between paying student loans at a higher rate (it would go up if I get a job) and the loss of the small amount of public assistance we get - we would have even less income.

Justdealing's picture

we have two of them, but my kids are way too old to come. they wouldn't let me bring the twelve year old at all.. but thank you for trying.

Justdealing's picture

shoot I wish we did have those type of places here. I live in Arkansas. A very small town without much in it lol. We have a Wal Mart and some gas stations. Doctors and banks. I was thinking though, maybe I could find way to do some graphics work at home. I have to look into it more. I have been looking online for the past couple hours, and it seems some designers work online. Smile and I know there has to be some way to make my daughters father pay cs. someone here brought that up. I lived in IL when the case went thru, but now live in AR. the two states don't seem to work together on CS. and last I heard her father lived in MO. and is a trucker working for cash contacts so ?

Justdealing's picture

Ok, I don't know why I even did this. Seems that most comments have had at least some negativity. I apologize for joining what I thought would be a supportive group. (Other posters were not treated this way...) I think the answer to all posts should be shut up or get out...just doesn't cut it for me. And assuming that I am just a lazy money grubber - well couldn't be more wrong. Good luck everyone.

Take our opinions for what they're worth.

But keep in mind that sometimes, an outsiders view can sometimes be helpful.

You decided to support a man that could not support himself. You watched him give up his children. This looked like a better choice than your ex who was no where to be found.

You married this man and made him into a father for your child.

Now HIS children need him and you are not dealing well.

The story you presented does not fair well in your favor - which is why you are getting some of the responses that you are getting. You are calling them negative because they are not "supporting" you.

However, we are all part of a community, taking time to assist you with your interpretation of what the big picture may be. That seems like a kind thing for a stranger to do for new member of a community. Sometimes our best friends are the ones that tell us the things we least want to hear.

Justdealing's picture

Smile I know my view is skewed. Just took a few minutes to sink in. I do the best I can though. I just need to filter what I see here. I got that now. I just never did anything like this. I'm not usually very open. Grew up in a German family LOL.

Believe me, I can relate to a skewed view of my own situation.

My skid drives me crazy! I hate to admit that I wish he would disappear sometimes or that his BM would take him, but I know that he is way better off in our care and that my influence on him is the best thing he's had to date.

We can all emphathize with you. Trust me. But what are a bunch of "poor JustDealing"s going to do for you? (Well, they will make you feel better for a few minutes, but its all about attitude and taking action on the things you are able to.

Good luck!

Justdealing's picture

}:) Gahhh you sound like my mom LOL! You are right. I need to stop and look at this. Figure out where to head with it and quit whining. (Of course, I kind of had to in order to figure out how I actually felt). But there has to an anwer out there. And these kids deserve more than a three week period to straighten out years of "mess" they've been through. I know I am better than their BM. I can do better than she did. I have to find out how.

One thing to keep in mind, is that even though you are way better than BM (as I know I am way better than our BM), we are still not MOM to these kids, so no matter how hard we try, we won't get the unconditional love back. Our rules will be interpreted as being mean. Our interference in their fights with bios will be seen as favoritism, et, etc.

This could also be part of the issue currently presenting between DH and DD also. Whether it is his realization or hers - but it is real and exists.

Justdealing's picture

Yes, that is also a very good point. I hope that I can remember what Not to expect. Its all so difficult. I hate that it makes so many folks miserable. I bet that is the very case in a lot of families. I know that if I think DD has every right to be mad (in some situation) and DH has missed the point - its also partly because as mom, I know how she thinks and looks at things. He doesn't have that insight, nor do the boys. How can I work with that? How do folks avoid the favoritism trap? Also, how do I deal with discipline when I am afraid to do any. If I discipline them myself they might hate me and want to go back to their mother. Then that would be my fault and the husband could resent me for it.

Anon2009's picture

Please stay here and take what the others are saying as constructive advice. This is the internet. Nobody agrees here all the time but those who disagree often have good input. We do not think you're a money grubber.

What a screwed up situation for everyone. I'm sorry about your daughter's dad. However, you do need to be careful about not forcing her and DH on each other. If this is something they both want, that's one thing, but if you see signs of strain from either or both of them, it may be time to revamp how you handle things pertaining to their relationship.

You cannot force your DD's dad to love her or want to be a dad to her but you can and do need to help her deal with not having her dad in her life. You should consider getting her counseling. If you're in a financial bind, you should look into state programs/state counseling & mental health services and check out the DHS website: http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=32490

I commend him for taking his kids and hope he is making sure that BM isn't neglecting the little one. Nobody wants their kids going into foster care. He did the right thing, even though it's tough on all of you right now.

He will not love your daughter as much as he loves his kids. Ever. Just like you won't love your SKs as much as you love your daughter. Ever. If he doesn't want to take on the "dad" role with her, you cannot force it. It will just make him bitter and angry towards both of you. Now if he is being mean to your daughter, that needs to be nipped in the bud. Maybe you can look into getting your daughter into a "big brothers, big sisters" program near you so she can develop a positive relationship with a male authority figure that isn't forced on either side. Here's a link to look at: http://www.bbbsillinois.org/

You HAVE to let the relationship between your DH and daughter develop between them without interfering, barring disrespect from either of them towards the other and abuse.

Because things are tough financially, DH also needs to look into getting his kids into state programs & state mental health services, and consider taking parenting classes. I'm sure DHS has something for that too, and he needs to check out the DHS link I provided for both him and his kids.

Justdealing's picture

Thanks for all the info. I really do appreciate the thought you put into it. I do have my daughter in counseling and she has been for a couple years because she has issues since she has separation anxiety due to her father just disappearing. She has had a great relationship with her step-dad till now, and I hope they can once again get to that level. She loves him so much, and I believe he does love her (maybe less than his own, but still in a caring way). I just hope we can figure out how to make the kids get along so that the husband and I don't get into arguments over them. That seems to be the main issue right now. The boys must resent the fact that their dad was fathering my daughter - while they were out of state with their mom. Surely some kind of family counseling will help I hope.

Justdealing, this is hard for you. I get it. But I think you need to start working with the children (all of them) to adjust to this new life.

Raising children is alot of work one is sometimes easy, 3 will make it much more work but it can be done if you are committed to your husband and your marriage.

These boys may have not had any training or instruction in their life so that will be a big job for you.

Lots of women on here do it and are very successful at it.

You are home all day so I would start with a daily and weekly schedule for the children, a list of activities that they will do separate (even if only in separate rooms) and some together (to learn to adjust) and a list of equal age appropriate chores for each child.

If the children are behind in school give them quiet time each day to sit and do some appropriate lessons.

Every morning and evening have a time slot for each child to take showers, brush teeth and clean up.

There is plenty of time for you to work on making these childrens lives more enriched and productive.

Justdealing's picture

yep, scheduling etc is in place. and I am really trying. But they are so belligerent. And their dad doesn't get whats bugging me. he especially doesn't get why I am so resentful of having to take this all on. didn't want it in the first place...but it is what it is right.

Has the scheduling helped?

What exactly are they doing that is belligerent?

BTW, you are one of the lucky ones if your DH gets it.

Of course, he doesn't get it because 1) he's not home all day with them, 2) because he took on your daughter and probably doesn't understand why you are not reciprocating as well.

Justdealing's picture

Yes, I am soooo lucky that he seems to get it. Or at least listens to me rant. In fact he has read much of this and is sitting right here with me. He wants me to feel better about this situation, and knows how I am feeling. But yeah, he is lucky to get away - even if it is at the workplace lol. And maybe he is mystified at my response to the boys. I have tried to tell him and show him examples. And maybe that is helping. Thanks for that advice!

Justdealing's picture

sorry but this was a really hard step for me. I don't normally just tell folks my shit. I know I am stressed and jumpy. I apologize for that.

Justdealing, I am sure this is not really what you expected out of life. But just as you have tried to make things better for yourself and your daughter since her dad is nowhere to be found do the same for these boys.

Look at this situation as your project. They are your students and you are the teacher/mentor.

You and your husband are their foundation in life. Smile

Bojangles's picture

If you've only had them for 3 weeks it could partly be down to teething problems as everyone adjusts to living together. The boys are bound to have mixed feelings about being sent away to their mother, and then suddenly shipped back in. Some suggestions:
Get some parenting books from the library on dealing with kids in that age range, it's reassuring to get advice and see that the issues are pretty common
Sit down with DH and thrash out some basic ground rules and consequences
See if you can find some kind of club/ sport/activity the boys could do once a week, boys are like dogs, they need exercise
Sit down with the boys in a discussion lead by DH and acknowledge the difficulties involved in all living together in a small apt
Lay out the ground rules and consequences calmly and fairly so they are clearly understood, then uphold them (DH should be responsible for implementing consequences where possible)
DH might want to talk to DD one on one before bed one night and reassure her, and maybe do the same with his sons, who are obviously feeling competitive and hostile towards DD

I do sympathise, it must be a pressure cooker of tension in your flat at the moment.

Justdealing's picture

Oh no lol. We were neighbors. Not lovers. Its okay that you asked. I knew someone would wonder about it. The story about the BM: Was having sex with some guy she met online behind husbands back. Started doing meth. Then he asked her to leave. He kept the kids. She went to live with the guy. I was the neighbor and our kids played together. He started telling me why she was gone and what happened to their marriage. It went from there Smile BM is the most self centered person I ever met. Has no morals and isn't against using and hurting the boys.

Justdealing's picture

ima, I don't want them sent into foster care. Nor do I want him to send them back. Technically, I paid the lawyer for him to get them in the first place because I had some money and he needed it (although I didn't agree with his choice and felt it needed more looking into at the time). Yes, the boys do need the chance to have 2 parents. Even though I never wanted to do this, I am trying desparately to stand by my husband. The problem is no one is getting along. Which stresses me to the point I have gotten sick. No, I'm not asking him to ditch his boys and cater to me and mine. I do though think it is fair for me to expect DH to treat her the same way he did before his boys came here. Make more sense now?

Justdealing's picture

@wayin...Holy cow! I thought I was the only one thinking that Biggrin Why did I support his choice? Because it was either that or leave. Which I wasn't ready to do, since I love him. But I can't understand his choice at all - knowing we weren't prepared for it financially etc. Currently, the boys have bunks in what was our livingroom. My daughter has her own room but its right off the livingroom and the boys like to sneak in and take her stuff. I do feel less "bitchy" about it now than I did at first. Because a lot of the posts have given me a different perspective and some good advice. But, yes your thoughts are exactly where I was when this post began. As for your #1 point...I don't know. I did what I did because I do love him. The kind of love I never had. At 43 I can't say I have found this level of love and understanding in any other man. But you are so right. There have been moments where I thought "What the hell am I doing here?!"

Justdealing's picture

Thank You all so much for your insights. Even if I sounded unappreciative - it has gotten my thoughts a bit untangled and I hope found some direction. Good ideas and suggestions - I plan to take more time looking into ways to supplement our finances so I can take some of the burden off my husband. And I hope to find some way to make my daughters' biological father to pay his CS. Now, if I can find a way everyone can get along - it'd be fantastic LOL Biggrin

Sweetjennygirl's picture

OK, OP, take a deep breath babe! Not every poster here is going to tell you all negative all the time! There is a little bit to glean from everyone's feedback, even if some of it is difficult to hear Smile

First off, I totally get the fine line between working for an income and working just to pay for daycare for that many kids, just to be out of the house. Since DH is the one with steady full time income, and your opportunities are limited, then it may just be best to stay at home for awhile. Or, could the two of you arrange a staggering shift situation that would allow you to take on work on the weekends and a couple of evenings? If even for a short while? That would be a huge impact and sacrifice of your time with DH and as a whole family, but, it may enable you to improve your housing situation and gain a modest vehicle.

Immediately, you've GOT to sit DH down and unload emotionally. Praise him for his hard work and tell him blatantly how you feel, and that you KNOW there is a solution you can find TOGETHER! I get the whiff that your marriage is in fairly good shape? THAT'S YOUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY MY DEAR! But you know this...think though, you may have to redefine your "needs and happiness" for a short while, for bigger long term payoff.

Initiate, or keep working with your prosecutors office to locate your dd bio dad to get that cs coming in in her behalf! Been there, I know how aggrevating and exhausting it can be...but the name of the game right now is to locate and free up EVERY penny you can.

Do you have a hobby or special skill you can turn into cash? Can you have a garage sale, or do you have any goods, old jewelry, coins, etc., you can sell off quickly for cash?

If you haven't already, become an extreme couponer and get into sync with your local food stores weekly specials, for food and household supplies. Truly hungry kids WILL EAT whatever you set in front of them!

After your talk with DH, have a family meeting...and have DH be the bearer of all news, expectations, and consequences to the fam. I just very recently had to do this, and it's a challenge, my skids are still on "paper training" but they've all been warned that the shock collars and cattle prods come out if they don't shape UP!!! Thing is, it is so easy for us adults to THINK the kids will "get it" just by hearing us talk or seeing us model the behaviors, but nah, they're all dumb as dirt and ya pretty much have to beat it into them.

MAKE THE KIDS HELP YOU during the day. Yes....it's going to cause you wrinkles and gray hairs riding them with a crop to do it...it's always so much easier to just do everything ourselves, right? BUT it gives them STRUCTURE, which, I'm certain the boys BM didn't model or guide them into at all...another common theme here...a lot of us can completely relate!!! Give them jobs and chores to earn their lazy time. If the weather is nice kick them outdoors with a jug of water, a cellphone, or walky-talkie and lock the door! OR, go with them and get some fresh air.

I know you only have one car...is there a bus line nearby? Can DH carpool with anyone to give you and the kids the car once a week for days out?

These are just a few random thoughts that spring to mind for now. Bottom line, try to be encouraged. There have been families for hundreds of years living stacked on top of each other. I do know its stressful. You've GOT to find resources to lift yourself up emotionally...church groups, support groups, mommy cliques...you've got to keep yourself healthy and productive, to keep your sanity, keep your marriage intact, and finally, learn how to be better(?) parents to these kids who, desperately need you!!! Pool every ounce of energy and positivity you have right NOW, or, you'll find yourself becoming a casualty to the skids, like many of us here!

Best of luck OP!!! Smile

Justdealing's picture

Sweetjenny, I am so glad to hear from you. I wish our area had some resources like daycares and bus lines. Unfortunately, its such a po-dunk little hole of a town lol... I moved here to help my terminally/chronically ill mom and cant afford to move to a bigger town. Jobs are nearly impossible here, because we just don't have anything. There are about 18,000 folks in the area, and most are retirees. Jobs here are mostly part time and pay about eight bux an hour (so in most cases might add an extra 150 bux a week). Husband agrees that the best thing for now is to be home. But you are so right about pinning down the CS from both non-parental units. DH and I talked most of the afternoon, spent time reading the forum together and trying to glean helpful info from posters. So far things that we need to tackle are the cs, family talk time, and structure. I don't have many close friends (because my "friends" are just acquiantences, and I am really a private person)and theres no groups around here - looks like I'm just gonna stick with this online group. Hope you all don't mind. At least I feel okay to talk freely here. And to my DH - who I love so much and thank wholeheartly for putting up with my rants and brutal honesty. He listens to it all and still loves me. I know how lucky I am Smile

Sweetjennygirl's picture

Oh and lemme say too...this IS A fantastic site to vent and let your hair down when there is literally no one else on earth to do that with. Several folks become "pen pals" too thru private messaging, and it's a great outlet.

In my own case, during our family meeting...I came right out and told the children explicitly how their behaviors were making me sick. My headaches, nausea, absolute fatigue...the fact that I ended up in the ER one night for chest pains. PUT IT ALL OUT THERE and make it the ENTIRE FAMILY'S PROBLEM!!! And while youre at it...ASK THEM for solutions! You'd be surprised what comes out of their mouths and what they're really thinking, if they'll be honest wih you. Then it's dads turn to reel it all back in.

Bojangles's picture

Asking them for their solutions and suggestions is a really good idea. I imagine they feel like they have very little control over their lives at the moment and will be more likely to buy in to some new routines and rules if they have a say in creating them.

I also think that being direct can be very effective, stepkids can run rampant if you are afraid to confront behaviour and are often taken aback if you just sit down and calmly discuss it.

Justdealing's picture

Thanks bug. I was feeling angry and sad earlier, but when I look at it all from outside I can sorta see that maybe folks might think I was selfish or whatever. Theres so much to this story that I tried to only put the stuff that was key. In doing that, I made myself look kinda bad I guess. I feel sorry for myself a bit. I know that adults shouldn't do that. But if I don't do it a little, I wouldn't be true to myself. I have a right to feel my pain and anger and to have it validated is nice. So thank you again Smile

stepped-on-sm's picture

I deal with an abused neglected SD that I fought and spent my saving on to get out of foster care and supported for 2+ years, yet she turned on me (little ingrate), a second bm who fights tooth and nail over every call & visit (2nd round in court and she is using extortion like tactics to get SO to drop his modification).

My 10 yr old sd lies, cheats, steals, we've tried counseling, rewards, punishments, nothing works.
Many days I fantasize about taking my babies (1om & due in dec) and running off, or if SD wasn't here how much less stressful our household would be (bash away, but we all do it).

After being hurt, used and abused by a 10yr old (who is a mini-me of her psychopath mother) I had enough, I told my SO I was not her mom, he is her only legal parent and she is his responsibility - I found the more I did the more got dumped on me. Now I watch her while dad works cause before I supported them and he stayed home.

I've made it clear I will support his decisions and help care for her, but he makes all arrangements for her appointments, practice, social events, after school events, etc if he forgets she doesn't go.

Once he started work he agreed SD would abide by our rules & mind me or he could find alternative childcare if he had to take her with him and find a provider on the way to work.

We have little to no resources for her in our small town and no supportive family.

I too am and have been caring for my ill family members who have chronic illnesses, it doesnt help my sis uses my SD to push my buttons & try to get at me, but we are working on her placement (mutual decision).

So I understand your frustrations, your feelings, & in general what may be really going on.

People usually dont get to the point of wanting to run away or oust children unless theyve been pushed to that point.

Im holding on to hope that things will work out and we refuse to let SD for whatever reason ruin our relationship. Things are finally coming around financially and now we may be able to relocate to where there are programs for SD to be gone all day and out of my hair.

Ive come to the realization its not about fixing her, its about coping with her.

Btw the kids need to see you as an authority figure in your home, I flat out told my sks, my house my rules while you are under my roof, you may not like me or love me but you will mind me and show common courtesy just as if you were a guest at someone else's home.