You are here

Stepkids and chores? Is there such a thing?

stepmomsoon's picture

I guess today is my day to vent.

So, last week SS14 starts in on his dad about how he wants to go to the gym with him and how he should be driven to the gym to go shoot hoops as well.

Problem - a gym membership is 30/month per person and a 14 year old is a "person." We aren't rolling in money and don't have the finances for this. Hell, I don't even have a gym membership or take yoga/zumba/pilates classes because I'd feel guilty spending that money on me. So instead, I work out at home and go for walks when the weather permits it.

Anyways.. in the spring, summer and fall months we pay for someone to mow our grass (much to my dismay since we have 3 able bodied males that can do it).. so I suggested, sure we can get him a gym membership.. if he mows the lawn once a week or as needed. He mowed the neighbors lawn last year at 25/mow, so he is perfectly capable of doing this.

What did I get in return..? Excuses.. "none of the neighbor kids mow their lawns".. "they play sports and don't have time to mow".. "they have homework".. OH BULLSH*T.. ok, the high school neighbor kids don't mow, so what? (their parents either pay someone to do it or they do it themselves) I see my college aged neighbor kid mow every week. I see parents mowing. Sports? They play fall sports and when that kicks in, DH can mow those 3 months. Homework? Uh.. no. They miraculously get it all done before they even leave school..

I mean, honestly.. gimme gimme gimme.. where does the entitlement end?

notagain2012's picture

I'm just saying. I had a push mower, that wasn't self propelled, and that sucker kicked my ass! Way better than any gym could have!

stepmomsoon's picture

We have a pretty big yard, so a push mower might be a bit much. I have no issues spending a bit more for a self propelled one.

I just feel like it's always "gimme gimme gimme" and not enough give back to the parents. I mean, it's out responsibility to teach them lessons in life and when you just hand them everything they ask for, you aren't teaching them anything.