You are here

Please Help Me! Please please!!!

mylifesamess's picture

This is going to get long. I'll keep it as short as possible. My husband is a severe alcoholic. He hid this before marriage, I never lived with him before marriage. He hid it for months after we were married, I thought the man had a severe health problem that made him sleep for hours! I kept begging him to see a doc! He was hiding drinking ALL the time!!! I found out about it. All this time I thought he was physically ill. He has a daughter from a previous marriage, she is 7. I have four children. 3 from a previous marriage and we have one together who's 16 months old. My children's ages are 11, 8, 4, and 16 months. A huge handful. My nerves are shot all the time, but I do the best I can.

Anyway, my husband has always thought his daughter is like a God. He talked about the memories of this child every second of the day. He put down my pregnancy with our son and talked about his exes pregnancy. He ignored our son while in the birthing room and wouldn't hold him after birth. He sat in my hospital room while I was holding our son and talked about how wonderful his daughter's birth was. It's all he talked about was his daughter. It was like he hated OUR son for being born.

Anyway, my husband is still a severe alcoholic. He passes out from drinking too much everyday. He passes out at least TWICE a day for HOURS. He gets mouthy and violent sometimes. He isn't safe for children to be around alone. He is ALWAYS shit faced drunk. He's been to rehab many times, he has NO want to stop drinking.

I had to put a stop to his 7 year old daughter visiting our home. It sounds horrible of me, but EVERYTIME she came over my husband would pass out, leave me to deal with FIVE children and then wake up violent because his daughter wasn't getting treated like a queen. The last time his daughter was at our home was on Easter Sunday. My husband passed out for four hours, he woke up violent because he thought his daughter wasn't getting to play with certain toys that belonged to my older daughter. He began storming at me, breaking everything in the house! I had to LEAVE with all FIVE children (including his kid) and go to my father's house. We spent Easter doing nothing but running to safety at my dads home because of my drunk husband. It happens EVERYTIME this kid comes over!! I now REFUSE to be a babysitter for him and his ex!!! His child lives with her maternal grandmother, dh can not get custody because of his addiction problem. I have told the maternal grandmother that when the child comes over, things get violent, she doesn't care!!! She wants to send her anyway!!!

My husband then gets VERY angry at me for not allowing his daughter to visit!! He doesn't do anything but get drunk and pass out when she is here, then wake up being violent. Honestly, I can't take this anymore. I feel like the horrible guilty one. I just can't and will not take care of another child while my husband lays drunk!! I will not do it!! The child's family has been so shitty to me. They use to bring this child to our door step and my husband would stagger to the door DRUNK and barely walking, they'd say "here's your daughter, you're keeping her" He would then pass out and I'd take care of the kid for days while he would lay drunk. I finally put my foot down and when they'd come to the door, I'd tell them to get the hell away from my door because I am not babysitting for them, I would tell them my husband was drunk and not capable of taking care of the child and for them to get the hell off my doorstep (this is my home, bought before husband and I were married) They'd argue with ME and say "well you're keeping her dammit" I'd slam the door and not answer.

I have four kids of my own. I pay all the bills, husband currently does nothing, but lay drunk. I am not going to allow visits with his daughter to occur in my home while he neglects her and I have to be the babysitter. I can't take on the world, I can't let him and his daughter and his exes family kill me!!!! I am only one person and HAVE to take care of my kids as they have NOBODY but me. If I lose it or get mentally sick then my kids will go to foster care, they have no family (their father is a dead beat)

Should I feel guilty for stopping the visits? I can't allow his child to be neglected on visits. He passes out and honestly I don't want to deal with her. She is doesn't listen to me. I can't even stand to be around her. I feel guilty like it's all my fault! EVERYONE blames it on me. They tell me to suck it up and keep his child. It puts wear on my mental well being (I have had one nervous breakdown at 19 years old and take meds for severe anxiety) Like I said, if I get mentally sick again, my own kids will have to be put into foster care as they have nobody but me.

Help? Should I feel guilty?
Laina

the_evil_one's picture

I think you should, in a guilt-free manner, call the cops and have him removed from your home before he causes a situation that gets you and your kids in trouble.

Anon2009's picture

Go on the Internet and find the phone number for your local Alcoholics Anonymous. They can give you lots of advice.

(((HUGS)))

caregiver1127's picture

Have the police remove your husband from the house - file charges and then divorce his ass since you take care of you and yours - and not to be mean but it might be time to find a different kind of man - the father of your first 3 children is a deadbeat and now this one is a drunk, lazy, violent deadbeat - this is not fair to the children - you are better off on your own - since you are the only one who works and the house is yours get him the fu*k out of your house - what if he would hurt one of your children - there is no reason for you to be with him or his daughter. Don't feel guilty there will be another woman that he will trick and then she can take care of him and his daughter - you need to protect you and yours.

In these cases the woman usually is not working and can't get out but you do it all so get him OUT!!!!

briarmommy's picture

Agree ^^^^ Honey this is a dangerous situation for you and yours get him out of your home, do you want your kids thinking this is ok? Do you want you children to think being drunk is ok? Being violent is ok? You letting this continue in your home is neglect, I'm sorry to be so blunt but I was an abused child and its not just seeing the drunk violent one act that way that hurts you, its your mom not stopping it. Your children will rescent having to live like this and run away when they turn 18 as fast as they can. Are you willing to lose your kids for this man?

RaeRae's picture

I don't usually advocate for divorce, but in your situation, I believe it would be the best thing for you and all the children involved. You need to do it FOR YOUR CHILDREN. Show them that their health and safety is your priority.

herewegoagain's picture

I am so sorry you are going through this. I agree you need to get out.

And no, you should NOT have to keep his kid...it's HIS visitation, NOT yours.

qtpie013178's picture

You should not feel guilty. In fact, the next time he goes on a rampage, call the police, and they will remove him. Let him go to jail, he's not paying bills and he's abusive.

Don't give warning, the moment he starts, calmly go in the next room, make the call, leave phone off of the hook and let the dispatcher listen to him. It will be recorded. you should go immediately and file for a temporary restraining order.

After he is removed, don't let him come back. File for divorce. Filing fees are only a few hundred dollars. You may even be able to get a lawyer free or discounted. Call your local domestic violence center.

File for legal separation or divorce. Keep him out of the house until he has redeemed himself. This usually takes months, not days, not weeks, months. Alcoholism is an illness, but not the excuse for his abuse. Alcohol simply lowers his inhibitions, it doesn't completely transform his character.

If you both want to save the marriage, start counseling after he has been removed. Stop sleeping with him after the removal. Intercourse can void legal separation. It seems that you must love him, but he will most likely never change unless he is not allowed to continue with you on this path.

Putting your foot down may not save your marriage, but it might. Doing nothing will doom you and your children as well.

alwaysanxious's picture

You need al-anon. I am the child of a violent alcoholic. The best thing you could do is get yourself some help to find out why you put up with this, then get yourself to a place where you can get him out. The least of your problems is his daughter. Your problem is an alcoholic who you are supporting.