You are here

Newbie and looking for some opinions (no judgements please)

Frustrated in Canada's picture

I apologize for the length, however I'm going to introduce myself, and my situation.

I'm married to my childhood sweetheart for almost a year now. We are a blended family with multiple issues (mental disorders - mild to severe). H has two children from a previous relationship. Neither live with us or will have anything to do with him as their mother is doing the parental alienation thing. :sick: I have two children as well from previous marriages. My oldest (15) lives with his dad, but is with me a lot Smile and my youngest (10) lives with us full time. All of the kids and I have ADHD. My youngest also has Aspergers. My H is in the process of being disgnosed with ADHD, and some personality disorder (Doc isn't sure yet, assessments just began), along with possible depression (??) Wow! A lot ot take in eh?? Try living it!! Blum 3

So, H gets along with everyone but my youngest. H and my youngest are sooooo much a like it's not funny. It seems that it doesn't matter what my youngest does it's not good enough. My youngest son's dad is NOT in the picture. My ex decided 2 years ago that he no longer wanted to be a dad (and walked out on our son on his 8th birthday). There has been no communication since. My youngest has struggled with that ever since. Rightfully so. All my son wants is a father figure and my H finds it hard to give that. H didn't at first. He wanted to be involved. However S10 gave H a really hard time (and continues to do so to this day). I feel like I'm in two lives. One with H and one with S10.

Tonight, S10 asked for a second helping of supper, so I have him half a bowl. He only ate two spoon fulls of it (he already ate a full bowl full), and said he was full. H got upset, threw his hands in the air and walked away. I'm getting really frustrated with this behavior from my H (and from S10 too). I feel like a referee (sorry for the spelling)!!

Side note: We are in couples therapy. We are also taking parenting skills course to learn how to deal with S10 more effectively with ADHD and Aspergers, and H just started Cognitive therapy for himself to help him learn to deal with his own issues.

What next??? (please don't be afraid to ask question if you don't understand, or need more information to offer an opinion - I'm a very open person Smile )

Texas_Pete's picture

My youngest SS19 will order a full dinner at a restaurant,, only eat a bite or two then declare hes not hungry.. Never says thank you when I buy his food so I could choose to take that in a bad way.. For the most part I can just let it go.. Hes a good kid but he hasnt caught on to the please and thank you terms folks use around here.. We are working on that...........