You are here

I don't think I should have to include SS in all I want to do with my bios is that wrong of me?

hardatwork's picture

Okay, i am new here and was really excited to see this existed. my DH and i are having an issue. first off a background, he has a son i have a daughter so we are both SP, then we have one together. SS is 10, he lives with BM and SF. they both have extremely well paying jobs. SS is really spoiled. he gets things no child should have, every gaming system, goes on trips everywhere, they have a planned trip to England coming up, if he breaks/loses/forgets one of the many expensive gifts he gets he could care less as BM buys him another or will go out of her way to go pick it up wherever he forgot it are prime examples. he doesn't listen to anything you ask him to do or not to do. when my BFF was visiting he began to intentioanlly stomp on her foot and she asked him to please stop, looked her straight in the eye and did it a few more times till his BF smacked him upside the head. SS argues with us all the time, then cries his eyes out when he doesnt get his way/has to go to bed/cant play video games/do chores etc. enough of that background, in short the SS is a handful and irritates me. well, DH is not the best at working shall we say. when we had our son he could not go to daycare as his white blood cells were non existent and he almost died at 1month. doctors orders that he ccould not have contact with anyone but us. so we rearranged our work schedules. DH worked from 9a-6p, although he rarely ever worked an entire day. he was always either late and always always left early. i worked 730a-430p, rarely miss work and took on an additional job to try and pay medical bills. well, our jobs gave us leniency so i began working 6a-1p so he could work from 2p-9p. when i got home he would not go to work!! he wouldn't go in till 4p. i decided to extend my hours till 3p to get all my work done and thus have to spend less time here on the weekends. (yes i was working all weekend too just to do my workload and DH would have a fit that i was always at work)since he wasnt going in till 4p anyway. what happens? he starts not going in till 6p sometimes 7p!! at this point im really annoyed. then he gets fired, can you blame them? because i make realtively decent money we came to an agreement that he would stay at home with our son and i would pay his CS. which wasn't getting paid even half before bcs of the pitiful hours he would put in. no matter what i did he wouldnt go to work more, citing that he wanted to spend time with me as the reason. anyway, now that i pay CS in full, and still have to pay all the bills, he never made enough to pay his share, the most he ever contributed to all the bills was $200. in addition to that he got into some trouble with the law and i am now paying for a lawyer to keep his butt out of prison, and mandatory counselling or they throw his butt in prison. the arguement comes in here. i don't think i should have to shell out anymore money for things for SS. i don't mind buying a bday present but when he wants me to buy ridiculosly expensive things, or throw a party for SS when his BM offered and he opted out bcs he wanted the cash. i feel like that is not my responsability, and if DH wants these things he should get a job, pay for his own stuff, and pay half our living expenses, then he can use any additional money on SS. we are arguing bcs i don't want to have to pay for SS to come on vacation with us. i feel that this is money for my kids, and i already send MY money to pay CS. and he gets everything he needs/wants from BM anyway. plus she knew what my DH is like and should have expected that if she wanted anything for SS she would have to do it, just as i know if i want anything for our son i have to do it as DH won't. he tries to bring my daughters BF into it saying that i complain when he doesnt take her places. but my daughters BF makes enough money and is single so i know that he pays for her and is not expecting his new wife to foot the bill for her. which is what i resent that DH does with me. HELP!!!

PoisonApples's picture

Jeez - you poor thing!

I think you know what you need to do but maybe you need someone else to say it for it to really sink in.

0. Find out if your husband is suffering from depression. If so, insist he get medical treatment immediately.

1. STOP paying CS. YOU are under no legal obligation to pay it.

2. STOP paying for your SS except for necessities that should not be covered by CS, such as food he eats at your home.

3. Tell you husband he has X days to get a job. Tell him he must apply for a job at 3 places every single day and you want proof that he has done so.

4. Set aside time every week for you to spend time with only YOUR children doing what you and they want to do. If that means buying them things, then buy them and don't worry if SS is getting the same. His BM doesn't make things fair between him and your children. Why on earth should YOU be expected to?

5. STOP paying for your husband's legal fees.

6. Tell your husband he has one week to show that he is going to start pulling his weight or he can get out - AND MEAN IT.

If your husband won't grow up and treat you right get rid of him. You'll be better off without him.

If there is a medical reason for his behaviour then you can give him a little more time to find a job - a little - one month maximum.

If he has an addiction that is causing this stop paying for his alcohol/drug whatever it is. Tell him he has ONE WEEK to take serious steps to straighten himself out.

hardatwork's picture

Thank you so much for seeing where i am coming from! I just want to clarify that it is not that i mind him being the stay at home dad, it's that if he wants expensive things for SS on top of all the things SS has and doesn't give a hoot about, as well as the fact that SS is disrespectful to everyone and i dont think he deserves it, then DH should be the one to pay. If he can accept the fact that i will do the neccisites and nothing more then we have no problem. And i think that includes vacation time, only because SS goes on vacation with his BM multiple times a year and my kids only get the one if i can afford it. actually, he is attending his counselling due to alcoholism and is doing exceptionally well. its been 6 months since he had a drink. but i think a part-time job never hurt anyone and will insist he get one in the evenings. thanks again. i am loving this site. i never knew if it was just me who was turned off by my SS, and now i see that its not all that uncommon.

hardatwork's picture

thanks so much. it just gets frustrating when i am pretty sure i am correct, but DH tries to make me feel like its not normal to have this opinion because "he's your SS and only a kid". i know that, but he has a BM too, and if DH cant provide something then its her job too, not mine. Where does that leave my BD and BS if i have to shell out for SS too when in IMO he gets plenty from BM and SF. not to mention the how rude he is. we went to DH grandmothers funeral and my MIL and her sisters were of course crying, and SS says with such disdain "why are you all crying, what's wrong with you people. you're weirdos"