You are here

Disengaging as full-time custodial step-mom

custodialsm2011's picture

My husband and I just got married two weeks ago, although I've been in the picture for the last two and a half years since my step-daughter just turned 7. We have her full time because her mother abandoned her when she was 18 months old. For four years, she didn't see her mom and her mom rarely called. She is court ordered to pay child support and NEVER has. She works under the table. When my step-daughter was six, shortly before my husband and I met, her mom came back into the picture- took my husband to court over visitation and received ever other weekend and four weeks in the summer. Her mother takes her visitation for the most part, but she doesn't call... at all... in between visits and doesn't exercise her mid week visitation- so my step daughter goes two weeks at a time with no communication. My step daughter has tried giving her mom a call before in between visits, and her mom always lets it go to voice mail and never returns her calls. My step-daughter is all messed up over this. She misses her mom immensely in between visits, and right now, she has only seen her mom once in over a month because of weekend switches for our wedding and because her mom didn't take her this last weekend when she was supposed to (she had a bachelorette party to go to?). So anyway, in between visits my step daughter will yearn and pine for her mom, get really depressed when she can't see her, then she'll go there and she's disappointed all over by the fact that her mom barely pays any attention to her while she's there and she always says how glad she is to come home at the end of her weekend.

I have been doing a lot of the motherly role stuff. Giving hugs and kisses at bedtime, packing lunches, helping her get ready for school in the am, helping her remember things, reminding her to brush her teeth, buying her clothes (no CS and my husband pays child support for his youngest child he has two), taking her to school (Husband and I alternate doing this), getting her from school, buying her treats when she does well in school-- just you know-- mom stuff! Well-- my step daughter is really rude and gets a huge attitude when other kids/adults mistake me for her mom. It's confusing to people because she is with us full time- her mom never comes around so people don't know her mom, and I do everything a mom would do for her!

I'm just wondering if I should be doing all that, or if I seriously need to disengage. I do NOT want her to be rude to people about it. And I do not want to be taken advantage of. It seems like she's just using me, to get that feeling of having a mom, without actually appreciating what I'm doing and without it ever being enough. I feel that she needs to learn that her mom will NEVER be the mom she is pining for- and I'm not sure how to do what without pulling pack and letting that gaping wound pour open for her to experience fully. I realize this probably sounds mean- but I feel as though I should not be pretending to be her mom by filling that role, when it will never fill the void that she has. I feel that it will only end me up on the curb with my step-daughter. Plus I feel as though if I step back and don't do the motherly stuff, people are less likely to confuse me for her mom and therefore she will not have the opportunity to be rude to people when they mistake me for her mom. Opinions? Advice?

She is disrespectful to me... I think anyway. She doesn't listen to me. I wouldn't say she's outwardly rude, because she knows that her dad won't like that and she'll get in trouble. But she doesn't listen to me, she listens to her father perfectly. Her father doesn't always catch when she hasn't listened to me- so it never gets addressed. He's really oblivious most of the time. I think lately things have gone downhill, because she hasn't seen her mother much. The longer she goes without seeing her mom, the more she's difficult to me and she gets needy with her father- trying to steal my seat next to her dad, getting up in his face. She's nearly 10 years old and acts like a 5 year old sometimes, especially when mommy ignores her.

Good point, she IS indeed in counseling- play therapy. She has been for two years now. I pressed my husband to get her some help when we first started dating. My husband just doesn't have much of an opinion. When it comes to discussing emotional things he shuts down, and we've also been in counseling together for two years- hasn't helped a bit! It just boils my blood when people say.. "oh your mom this.. your mom that.." about me and I hear her say "SHE'S NOT MY MOM!!!" with so much rudeness and attitude. At the same time, she wants me to do all the mommy things, and my husband wants me to do all the mommy things. Yet I get no recognition and my step-daughter wants nothing to do with any sort of mom role when it comes to outside parties thinking I am mom. I mean-- how much crap should you take for a kid that isn't yours? I just don't know. Plus her mom HATES ME. And talks so much crap about me to my step daughter. Her Biomom and step dad have said lots of nice things like... SM is fat, SM is stupid.

Frustr8d1's picture

I'm in the exact same situation. Full time step. DH has full custody. BM hasn't been in the picture for years now. SD11 is rude & disrespectful of both DH and I. Typical pre-teen. As a full timer, I find it impossible to fully disengage but I found that disengaging at the right time and for certain things is the only way I can survive this mess. When it comes to discipline, homework issues, and drama I disengage. Lately I've even learned that I have to stay away from issues I see with DH's parenting style. If I try to make suggestions, it causes more stress to our marriage than we can take so I just stay quiet. Being a full timer is much more difficult in many ways because it's hard to figure out your role. You will never really be their mom, but essentially you ARE. What to do...

Ugh... HUGS. It is SO hard. Her mom is really crap. It's so hard when she pines and pines for her mom and I know who her mom really is. I wonder if she'll ever see her mom truly, or she'll always live the fantasy that she's the perfect mom that can do no wrong. Even though her mom has wronged her in so many ways and continues to by not paying child support and by ignoring her during her visitation.

Frustr8d1's picture

This is the type of situation that makes it almost impossible to love and care about someone else's child.

Yes it is. He has his three year old every other weekend, and I find NO issue disengaging with her and not feeling resentful about filling mom role, because with her I don't have to! She's barely here. But with his ten year old, with her being here full time- I feel like I have NO CHOICE but to play mommy- without getting the respect, love and admiration she gives to her real mom. I know she's a child, and I know all that stuff, but how much are we to endure from these children that aren't ours? If it was just every other weekend I could deal- but it's every.single.day.

tabby yabba do's picture

I am also a custodial SM and SAHM (no BM). I do most everything for my SD12 and SD8 as I do my DD12.

Disengaging is not usually an all or none experience. You'll likely find yourself doing some things sometimes, and others things never, and a few things all the time.

What helped me first was I clearly defined for myself (in my head, not shared) what my "hills to die on" were (your triggers that would seriously make you contemplate leaving your marriage). Those "hills to die on" issues need to have your most consistent and fair attention. In my mind, being 100% engaged on these issues is what works for me. Whatever those issues are for you, defend yourself without bitterness, and do not waffle. For me, my hill to die on includes mean-girl behavior from my SD12 towards my DD12 and SD8 and mini-wife behaviors encouraged or endorsed by my DH. I tolerate neither. Ever. I call both behaviors out every single time and will discipline when appropriate, whether my DH is there or not. I have too much self-respect to let any 12-year old child make me or my DD12, or anyone else in my home for that matter, feel unhappy or unsafe in my home.

Next I "let go" of things that bothered me but did not directly affect me or cause harm to my DD12. I completely disengage. My SD12 loves to eat and frequently has third helpings at each meal despite the fact she is not height/weight proportionate anymore (she's heavy). Not my monkey, not my circus. My SD12 doesn't take her daily seasonal allergy medicine which causes her to whine about how watery her eyes are or how runny her nose is. I'm disengaged. I don't remind her that her eyes and nose would feel better if she took her meds. I make sure she has her meds (I check them occasionally so I can replace them before she runs out) but I don't nag her to take them and I simply say "Yes, this year's allergy season is pretty bad" or some other benign non-engaged comment - similar to what I'd say to be polite to a stranger at the grocery store who made the same comment.

The "sometimes" issues are hardest for me. Sometimes I cook. If I'm making something I know everyone will eat, or has enjoyed before, I will cook. If a skid complains in a disrespectful way (they still will on occasion even with tried-and-true meals), I will normally look at the DH and say something similar to, "Well that sounds pretty ungrateful and DD12 would find her meal in the trash if she said that to me" to which the DH usually verbally reprimands the skid. Once in a while he has thrown their food away. I'm engaged to a point (I call out the offending behavior, but let DH address it, or not, as he sees fit) If DH refuses to reign in his child, I don't complain. But then I go back to no cooking for his skids, and DH gets to be 100% responsible - and he gets to deal with his ungrateful children (which bothers him immensely when they do it to him). I start helping with the cooking after I feel the skids have been reigned back in. This issue is getting better (which is why it's in my "sometimes" category) but is still a work in progress. I used to sometimes attend SD12 school performances that DH is unable to make due to work (usually mid-school-day events around the lunch hour. These performances are usually small and few parents make them due to the time frame.) SD12 took great pleasure that she always had a "parent" who prioritized these events and often paraded me around to her friends whose parents were not able to attend. After being paraded around by SD12, SD12 then bumped up her game a notch and scoffed at DD12 that I missed a lunch date with DD12 (I eat with her 2x/month at school for fun) to attend one of SD12s concert instead. I never told DD12 why I cancelled one of our lunch dates (to accommodate SD12s concert, so this was news to DD12). SD12 basically used Mean-girl behavior to make DD12 feel "lesser" so she could feel like she was "more." Mean-girl behavior is an "always engage" issue for me - so I stopped going to any of SD12s mid-day events without DH. Will I go again someday? Maybe. But I haven't missed a lunch date with DD12 since.

Sorry this was so long. But in summary, basically (for me) disengaging is all about setting boundaries for situations and behaviors I can/can't will/won't tolerate - and maintaining as much dignity as possible while doing it (I still have LYS - lose your shit - moments, but I strive to usually avoid that). And for the rest of the time, those "gray areas" where I sort of engage, but not always, I try to be consistent and pleasant about it. I don't want my skids to feel like they grew up in a home where they weren't wanted, but I also make no effort to try to be something I'm not (their mom). Their mom decided for the skids they would be 1/2 orphans (she took her own life) and that their destiny would be to either have no mom, or a step-mom. I can't change that. I see this as my opportunity to try to influence some "good" into their lives, bring some happiness or normalness into their lives but I don't pity them for their lot in life, and I don't sacrifice myself trying to "make it up" to them either.

I'm envious! It sounds like you've found a good flow for yourself. I asked my husband how my step daughter would feel if someone said something about her being my child and I said "SHE'S NOT MY CHILD!". He said that he believes she'd be upset. But that's what she's doing to me. So I don't see how that's fair for her to be disrespectful and ungrateful toward and about me to others, but that she deserves respect and love in return. I think you're right though- I think as a full time step mom you have to be engaged sometimes, and at other times disengaged. I hope I can find that balance. It's seems impossible. Maybe I need to sit down and write what are deal breaker situations and what I can look past.