You are here

wow what an eye opener...

onahellride's picture

just found this forum today. was hoping to come here and get some insight. if some of these "vents" are the way he feels really, i think i need to break it off with him.

I am on the flip side of this. i am bio mom to two girls who are 11 and 17. in a serious commited relationship with a man who has never had bio kids of his own. the conversation we had just last night was about his frustrations with my daughters. It seems that he forgets sometimes that the three of us come as a package and i have NO choices when it comes to raising my children. they will wake up, they will require food, they will require ME, regardless of whether he is in my life or not. he is the only one who has a choice regarding my kids. i told him that if he cant find it in his heart to have the "want" to co-parent with me (both BD are completely out of the pic) then he needs to make a decision regarding whether our is worth the sacrifice. I can totally empathise with some of his rather selfish rants and some of the rants on here and yall may tear me a new one for saying this but ladies understand that you SO's brought these children into the world and those kids need love and it should show you something that your men are good and want their kids in their lives because neither of my BD care enough to even try. you're selfish whining is killing us. i love my kids and i love my man with all my heart and the definition of love to me is that i love him enough that i place his happiness above my own and if his happiness means that we have to split then so be it. i would hold no anger if he was honest enough to tell me he couldnt handle it. because I brought these kids into this world and i owe it to them to give them the best life i can.

sorry but i needed to vent as well and would love any input if there is anybody thinks they can help. i am at my whits end and in tears because it dosent matter how much he loves me, if he only "tolerates" my kids, they will grow up feeling that resentment from him. my youngests father was an abusive alcoholic and i will not tolerate anybody in a parenting roll hurting my children mentally or emotionally.

Disneyfan's picture

It's great that you were honest with your SO. He has to decide if he can live with your parenting style. If he can't, he should do the smart thing and walk away.

You can't force him to love your kids the way you do and he can't force you to change your parenting style.

oldone's picture

Wait - you CHOSE to reproduce with men who do not even give your daughters the time of day and you expect a man who had absolutely NOTHING to do with bringing them into the world to put them on a pedestal and worship them? You are the person that chose shitty dads for them. Once is a mistake, twice is a habit.

It's not realistic. You cannot make yourself love anyone - not even the children of someone that you love. He should be fair, kind, polite and respectful to them. But you cannot demand that he adore them like you do.

If that is truly a requirement for a man to be in your life (that he must adore your daughters like they were his own) that is certainly your right but you MUST tell a man that on the first date - not after you are already in a committed relationship.

You may be able to find a man who wants to co-parent with you. But you are being very, very dishonest when you didn't make this clear up front.

The vast majority of non-parents (and even parents) have no interest in parenting another's children. Being a parent is a hard, hard job. Almost no rewards for non-parent.

onahellride's picture

you are being ugly to not know the whole story, i was married to both of their fathers, the first for 5 years and the 2nd for 13 years. i did not say anywhere that i expect him to worship them.

"But you cannot demand that he adore them like you do" i have demanded no such thing. i also has a step son that i raised while i was married to husband number 2. so yes i know what step parenting is about. it takes someone very special to love and raise a child that isnt yours. and i was clear from date number 1 about what i wanted/ needed and he chose to stay around. i hope you are able to work out whatever hostility you are holding on to and maybe re-read what i said in my intitial post

Sunflower1's picture

Oldone is blunt, but I don't think she is trying to be hostile towards you. She has a great deal of insight and wisdom though. You will find many differing opinions here. Take what works for you and disregard the rest.

onahellride's picture

i will answer your questions in the order you ask them with explinations

1. yes, i let him help parent. i have made it clear to my children that in the regards that he cares enough to try and be a father figure for them, that gives him the right to make rules concerning behavior/ chores/etc. and he has the same right to punish. although our general rule is if the need physical punishment such as a spanking i will administer since they are both girls.

2. my biggest complaint about him is that he expects them to be adults about everything. in regards to their mannerisms and only having to be told something once, and not always remembering to say "thank you". doing chores without having to be reminded and he hold grudges and gets angry at them as though they were adults. Its like he forgets that they are kids. i know he is trying and i let him know daily how much i appreciate and how much the girls appreciate him. I thank God for him daily as well.

3. he is not mean to them persay, only how described above.

4. he is very active in their day to day.

5. yes he holds them at the same standards you would hold a mature adult. i do not disagree with him on this but results dont happen overnight.

thank you sincerely for your input.

twoviewpoints's picture

Not sure what you expect anybody to say without more to your 'story'. What's his frustrations? What extent of 'co=parenting' do you expect out of him?

onahellride's picture

well said and thank you for your input.i do dicipline my children. his frustrations are that they are not mature adults. have to be reminded to do chores, sometimes forget to say thank you, have to be told more than once regarding some things.... we are working it out. and i disagree on one point. if the home is to function they can not be one adult in the house "absent" from the family. it is the job of any SO in a commited relationship to be fully functional and at least do more than simply tolerate any children that are in the home. But that is only my opinion

Onefootout's picture

You don't have to be an SM to vent here. Stepfamilies the whole situation is so hard, both parties are bound to be frustrated. I'll give you my point of view. I don't have kids either (except for the two furry ones).

But I disagree about your expectations of your SO that he should co-parent. What does that mean. He's not their dad and it's not his job. He did not have the years that you had to bond with them, and have you given him full authority to co-parent? Can he discipline them and you'll back him up 100%. If not, then don't expect him to coparent, because that's not fair.

My SO was so hurt when he realized I did not want to parent SS (translation, I did not want to kiss SS16's ass). Many bio parents want their partners to parent their kids when it comes to fun stuff, like spend time with them, have fun with them, play with them, have long, meaningful conversations with them, but they do not want us to correct them or parent when it comes to discipline. Oh no! My SO wanted to dictate when and how I could bond with SS. I had some news for him: SS has a mom already, although a crappy one, and I certainly don't want to be SS' mom, and I'm not going to kiss SS' butt and fawn over him and adore him, and all that stuff. Im just not good at that. SS is weird and creepy and has hygiene issues, he's gross and I'm not touching him.

SO also wanted me to be SS' therapet, and bond with SS to help SS come out of his shell because SS has no social skills and will only do activities outside the house with his dad. I told SO that's not my job, there are professionals for that. SO got mad at me because he felt I ignored SS. No, I just find it extremely awkward to be around him, SS is totally weird. And SS also ignores me, and pretends I'm not in the room when he talks with SO. Relationships are a two way street. SS and I have nothing in common, he can't hold a conversation unless he's rambling on about his video game characters, as if they're his real friends because he has no real friends, and I mean zero friends.

My SO gets frustrated with SS16, and so do I. But it seems like my SO forgets that I have just as much right to be frustrated as he does. I have to live with this kid every day for the entire year, except one month. But when I show my frustration, suddenly I'm unreasonable and I'm just not used to having kids, or I hate is son, etc. No, SO, I'm just frustrated and annoyed because your son, who never leaves the house, never does anything but play xbox and always competes with me for attention is---yes---annoying! He's not a bad kid, but he's a 10 year old in a 16 year old body. That's tough to live with.

And yes, I get that SO and SS are a package, I would never expect SS to be out of the picture he'll always be a part of SO's life. But just because I voice concerns about SS and setting boundaries, like not monopolizing the living room with Xbox and staying out of my bedroom, does not mean I want to get rid of SS. Yet, my SO accuses me of that everytime I want to talk about rules and boundaries with SS.

On the other hand, there are some of us no-kid stepparents who very well may have unrealistic expectations. So if that's your SO, then he needs to get real and let go of the fantasy that it's just gonna be you and him. But of course, I recommend you prioritize your one on one time with your man so that he knows he doesn't always come last behind your girls.

Just take this as a different point of view, and it's not meant to let your SO off the hook. He's a part of your family and he needs to realize that. But let him at least feel like he has a say on what role he plays in this family. My SO wanted to determine what role I played, but only I can do that. SO's come around to that idea, but it's taken some time. And my relationship with SS is between me and SS, not SO, as long as I'm not being cruel or abusive, and I'm being polite and civil. I told my SO he needed to back off and quit pressuring me to bond with his weird 16 yo son with whom I have nothing in common.

onahellride's picture

Thank you for your input. after i read the rest of the posts i will post an update.

oldone's picture

All too often the bio parent realizes what horrible choices they made in choosing the other bio parent and wants a new partner to step in and have a "redo". They want to pretend that the new partner is the new parent. Of course it is frustrating to everyone. Because it is just not realistic.

Co-parenting is for the two parents. It is the rare situation where a non bio steps in to effectively co-parent. Especially when the kids are older. They do not want a new parent at 16 or 17.

onahellride's picture

father of the oldest one is too busy with the new 18 year old girlfriend to bother with anything more than christmas and birthday and the youngests father is 2 states away and doesnt work so he has no money or means to see her.

Happy8's picture

Woah I think it is unfair to place blame on BM that the bio fathers are not involved with their children. My 4 kids have had no contact with their bio father (despite my attempts to nurture some kind of relationship with him and his family). Yes it's hard for me to fathom as a parent myself but there are bio parents, both male and female, who really do just walk away from their children and pretend they never existed. And I don't think expecting SO to help fill a parent role with her kids is inappropriate either. My fiancé has more than filled that role with my kids. He is loving and nurturing and also disciplinary when necessary. They think of him as their dad (though of course still care for their BD despite not having any contact) Some people are just not good for the parent role (step parent or otherwise) if that's the case I think it is perfectly justified to determine that now and make the decision to move on rather than waste everyone's time and cause emotional damage by pretending. Kudos on wanting the best for your kids and being careful in your decision to keep someone around your kids who doesn't also want the best for them. I agree the feelings for step children are not the same as for bio children. Not necessarily less, just different. That said he should be able to care for them enough to want to be involved in helping them grow and mature. If not, move on. There are great men out there who are willing to be a good role model and "parent" children who do not share their genetic makeup.

Onefootout's picture

"That said he should be able to care for them enough to want to be involved in helping them grow and mature. If not, move on."

I don't know that I agree with this. I concede that I am not good for the parent role but I will not concede that means I must move on and make room for someone who will play mommy to my teenage stepson. In fact, if that happens, SS16 is going to be seriously annoyed at someone who expects him to mind his manners, do his homework, not slurp his food at the dinner table, take a shower, wash his hands, address his "mommy" each time she enters the room, and limit his video games to 3 hours per day, leave the house and make some friends, join the boy scouts and learn some social skills. I'd love to do all that with my SS16, it would improve his life so much. But I'm not allowed to!!! Anyway, if SS16 got an involved stepmom like that he'd be wishing he could go back to being "neglected" by Onefoot.

When I read about all the stepmoms on this sight who want nothing more than to be an involved parent, and then get told to stay in their lane if they dare to overstep, that happens all too often. What's then the incentive to be an involved parent? I'd be more involved if I had any authority in my home, but I have absolutely no authority. So I go to a few band concerts for the kid and occasionally a dinner, and the kid is of course always invited to my parents house for Thanksgiving, but that's it. It don't do much else. I cook occasionally. There are just too many obstacles for too many stepmoms to be an involved parent. The ones who realize this, and then remove themselves from the parenting role aren't necessarily bad or neglectful of their stepkids.

That being said, if two people aren't compatible and they want to break up, then of course, they both should go their separate ways.

lisarunsfast's picture

OMG, I feel the same way! I think we are step-parenting the same kid!! I actually own a school for middle and highschool kids with learning disabilities, and I have more of a relationship with them! I actually invite one or two of them over every once in awhile to be a "playdate" for my SS15. They say he is "weird" too!! Really nice to know there is someone else out there who feels the same way I do. I am literally counting down the years until we don't have to have visitation anymore.

onahellride's picture

thank you. this is where my head is about all of this.....

That said he should be able to care for them enough to want to be involved in helping them grow and mature. If not, move on. There are great men out there who are willing to be a good role model and "parent" children who do not share their genetic makeup.

2Tired4Drama's picture

OK, here goes ...

I have no advice to give you since I am not a parent. This is a forum for non-parents dealing with stepkids. So I will pretend it's your SO on here, and he is the one asking for advice. Here's what I'd tell HIM:

This may not be a situation that will get better with time, even when the skids get older. If you are feeling frustrated now - just wait. Your SO has made it clear that her children are and always will be her priority. That is her prerogative to feel and act that way. Make no mistake because she has clearly said so: she resents your frustrations towards her kids and considers your opinions to be "rants."

Even if you were to sacrifice huge portions of your life to "helping" her raise her children (under her rules) still make no mistake. They will always be HER children and she will be sure to let you know that. Keep in mind that their birth fathers may nor may not wind up making an entrance at any point in their lives. Even though you may sacrifice much for them and her, you may never take on the role as their father. Never.

So. Here's my advice to you, good man. Consider what you want in your life, now and in the future. If it is happiness, and you are not getting it in your current relationship after this time - you probably never will.

Your SO has said your happiness is paramount to her, and if that means breaking up - then so be it. I suggest you take her advice and find a woman without children, or who is in a healthier, more balanced place with her children and is willing to accept what you offer, and move on.

Disneyfan's picture

The OP wanting a SO who will parent with her isn't selfish. Having the balls to speak up about what you will/will not put up with is a good thing.

No matter how much she loves this man, she's willing to walk away if he can't give her what she wants/needs. It's a shame more woman (both SMs and BMs)don't have the guts to do that.

onahellride's picture

thank you. i just aint getting any younger and my children are damaged enough. i think most people are content to settle for whatever and i am not. i do know what i want and what i dont want. and i am not afraid to voice my opinion or ask for what i need

Yosemite's picture

Short answer-Bottom line is your kids come first. If your relationship with your SO compromises your ability to fulfill your obligations to your children, he has to go. However, there is a difference between interfering with your obligations to your children and just not wanting to be very involved with your children. The one is okay, the other is not.
Long answer- All kids are annoying at times. BUT bioparents have the ability to love their kids in spite of the annoying things they do. Stepparents have a much harder time doing that because they have no bond with your kids. Sometimes one will develop, but it is a very long and often painful process. It's also easier when the kids are young. There's not a lot to like about teen drama,rebellion and attitude, which is often taken out on the stepparent as the easiest target.
My advice is to talk to your SO. Let him know you will not tolerate him treating your children with anything less than kindness and respect but that you have his back with the kids. Do not allow the kids to run the show. He should have at least the same authority as a teacher. He can establish rules and consequences that are reasonable but do not include physical punishment or yelling. Anything more needs to be turned over to you to handle and you need to handle it. Work issues with the kids out together not in front of them, they will sniff out and exploit any dissension in the ranks.
Then, talk to your kids and let them know you will not tolerate them treating your SO with anything less than respect. They don't have to treat him like a father, but he is an adult authority figure. Which means at minimum he needs to be treated with the same respect a teacher or extended family member would receive.
In time they might bond or they might not, but that is not the main goal. The main goal is to be able to peacefully coexist so that you can maintain your relationships with both your kids and your SO. Eventually the kids will be out of the house and how you handle things now will dictate how everyone gets along later.

2Tired4Drama's picture

"Eventually the kids will be out of the house ..." Sigh. Not always the light at the end of the tunnel. I urge everyone, including OP, to go take a look at the adult skids section. You will quickly see that problems with ADULT skids can go on for DECADES ... in fact, for lifetimes and BEYOND. One poor woman is still having trouble with adult skids even after her spouse DIED. Fights over weddings, grandkids, money and estate issues can go on for years, too. Sometimes the relationship gets worse later on, not better. Just sayin'

If he's resentful now, and she's dinging him about it, it won't get any better.

I know a very nice guy who met a woman with two grown kids (already married themselves). But the woman was so wrapped up in the kids' lives that she could not cut the cord. The couple couldn't even go on a vacation alone together because she still wanted to save her time to do "family" type vacations with her kids.

He got fed up, left her and has no regrets. She is still doting over her "kids" and will stay that way.

Not everyone is cut out to share their life with a significant other. Some are content to hang the rest of their lives on their kids - and more power to them. Just don't expect someone else to feel the same way.

These types of people should just plan to spend their life without someone to share it with intimately, because they can never fully devote themselves to a partner. They need to live their lives alone. The OP may be one of those individuals - and she might want to do some soul-searching about what she really wants.

2Tired4Drama's picture

Oh, and she may want to re-think the use of "serious and committed" in her description of her relationship. How much of that actually applies to her feelings for HIM?

onahellride's picture

Let him know you will not tolerate him treating your children with anything less than kindness and respect but that you have his back with the kids. Do not allow the kids to run the show. He should have at least the same authority as a teacher. He can establish rules and consequences that are reasonable but do not include physical punishment or yelling. Anything more needs to be turned over to you to handle and you need to handle it. Work issues with the kids out together not in front of them, they will sniff out and exploit any dissension in the ranks.

that has been done...

Then, talk to your kids and let them know you will not tolerate them treating your SO with anything less than respect. They don't have to treat him like a father, but he is an adult authority figure. Which means at minimum he needs to be treated with the same respect a teacher or extended family member would receive

i have done this as well...thank you for your input.

oldone's picture

Wonder how many responses (excluding pedophiles) one would get on a dating site where a firm requirements was "must co-parent 11 and 17 year old daughters whose bio fathers have nothing to do with them."

Yosemite's picture

Probably more than you think because until they try it, most people have no idea how difficult it is to try and parent other people's children.

onahellride's picture

i have been on the step parent side as well though. married to husband number 2 i raised his son the entire time as a matter of fact he still refers to me as mom and we stay in contact even though i am no longer with his father.

Onefootout's picture

Lol, oldone. I found my SO on a dating site. I tried so hard to find a man without kids, the pickins were just too slim.

Any profile that said "my children are my life and they come first!" That's code for, "I don't want to date all that much, not really good at it, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on dates, dates will be with you and the kids all together, kill two birds with one stone, right?" I just did not respond to those men.

The other comment that made me run the other way was, "I want someone to come home to and am looking for a family oriented woman." Code for "I don't want to put a lot of effort into dating, my kids are overwhelming and I need you to help me take care of them. After all, being a full time parent is a lot of work, didn't realize that when I got divorced. Will you be my free nanny, personal chef and chauffeur?" I want someone to come home to as well, but you don't put it in your dating profile.

And the absolute worst one I saw on the dating site? "My ex-wife and I are best friends." Yeah...no thank you!!!

It's like, duh...I realize your kids come first, not necessary to put it in a dating profile, but the kids don't have to come first every single day, and that doesn't mean I will be willing to always come last on your priority list.

oldone's picture

I "met" my DH online but not on a dating site. We would NEVER have been matched up. But I think part of what works for us is that we have such different backgrounds that we always have new things to share with each other.

I am so lucky that I found this site very early on. It kept me from making a lot of "rookie" mistakes. And fortunately DH had kicked SS out before I came along so I missed that bullet.

thestephater's picture

"the definition of love to me is that i love him enough that i place his happiness above my own and if his happiness means that we have to split then so be it. i would hold no anger if he was honest enough to tell me he couldnt handle it. because I brought these kids into this world and i owe it to them to give them the best life i can." ......

I think you have nailed it with the above statement and I would respect you for that. I guess it would not be easy letting him go, but if it is in both your best interests then so be it. I wish you well.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Personally I think your issue sounds less like he's not a good parent figure than it is that you probably have certain insecurities about how harsh a parent should be, and that his harshness translates to not love.

My dad (bio, still married to my mom) demanded we also remember and do things after being told ONCE. My mom didn't. Different parenting styles. He was way harder on us than our mom was and you know what? We needed that too. Obviously since we're biologically related, our mom didn't have the same insecurities that he was being harsh on us just because we weren't his. They got into fights over it occasionally as well but came to a compromise. My dad's expectations weren't wrong, neither were my mom's slight looseness with us (we're also two girls.) So they had to compromise--my dad would promise to be a bit more lenient, my mom would promise to be more on top of us. That's how a relationship works.

You have it better with him than many others in your situation do. If your only complaint is that he expects them to be mature adults, then you probably need to take a look at the basic foundation in that the fact that he wants that for them means he cares--if I didn't care, I'd let the kids run wild and laugh at them behind their back, because not my kids, what do I care if they grow up to be people others can't respect? What do I care if they turn out stupid or mean or irresponsible?

You guys need to talk it over and communicate better and COMPROMISE. I'm sorry but your expectations of him are very high for someone in his position, probably not unlike his expectations of your daughters. So you're essentially doing what he's doing. Maybe both of you can step back, and talk about your FEELINGS. the fact that you feel he is still damaging them because they are "already damaged" enough goes to show that you have a tendency to want to excuse behavior due to their past, and that your perception of what causes "damage" is warped due to those experiences.

For all intents and purposes, looking at what you wrote, he IS a father figure. Slightly unemotionally available, but even intact families and older generation families have that--stoic fathers who only disciplined, and mothers who did the emotional nurturing.

onahellride's picture

wow, thank you for your input. very wise words.

the damage i was referring to was the abusive alcoholic that is the youngest's father. their lives were really bad for the last 5 1/2 years i was with him. we have had to have therapy regarding some of the emotional abuse inflicted on the us.

and as far as any damage he may inflict on them, i was referring to him being so deep in their lives and continuing on false pretenses. better to get out now kinda thing...

onahellride's picture

well,i did not expect everyone to be nice when i posted here and i was right, i do realise that not everyone has the same opinions and ideas as me but then it takes all kinds to make the world go round. to everyone who actually read and understand what i wrote, thank you sincerely for your input. i do realize this is a forun for step parents but it fit the situation, thats why i reached out. to those who responded with aggrivation and hate filled words....i still appreciate your input and wish you the best but obviously we are in different places/ different stations in life and i hold no ill will toward you. because everyone is entitled to their opinions. i did not post every detail of our relationship so no one knows the heart of it but us.. i was reaching out for other opinions, points of view and thats what i got.

update.

after that post we had a few tear filled days of discussions and we have decided to continue forward with our relationship. i had told him previously that he should feel free to discipline as he sees fit and we have already worked together to set up household rules. but that conversation was not as thorough as it should have been. i think his biggest thing was that he was just "swallowing" his frustrations instead of voicing them and it just overflowed. i convinced him to "bring it to the table". which is where we have our family talks around the table. and after much deliberation he finally did sit down with my girls and just lay it all out to them, the things they do that frustrate him/ make him mad. so they know are are more in tuned with what HE needs. I am a firm advocate of telling the truth at ALL times and not being afraid to ask for what you need, because if you dont communicate what you need, nobody knows how to help you or that you even need help. My children were very receptive to his talk and i think it was an amazing bonding expierence for the 3 of them. He even told them he loved them and wanted nothing more that this to all work out peacefully so we can just be a happy family. so again thank you for all your words, good and bad. i am humbly appreciatiave of you all.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Smile

That's what I like to hear. Sounds like he really does love them. He also probably has insecurities that his love won't be returned since they are not biologically his. Stepfamilies are difficult and fragile, emotions run especially high and are easily hurt.

I'm glad you guys are talking and working it out, I know at the outset when we post, it sounds harsher because you are "in the moment" with the anger. You sound like you are also willing to look for solutions instead of burying your head in the sand--and I hope he also knows how lucky he is that the bioparent is willing to compromise too.

Best of luck!