You are here

Jealous, selfish SD12. Head Buried in the sand BF. Help?

noidea1010's picture

My BF daughter is getting so jealous of me, I have no idea what to do.

Had a rough weekend, starting off on Friday night when I showed up at BF's house to cook dinner. He's no where around, but SD12 is in the kitchen. I said hi to her, but basically she was ignoring me. I even asked her about her haircut and got back and attitude reply of "uh, ye-ah!" Ok, fine. Asked her if she would take the garbage out since it was full and I was going to start cooking dinner. She said yes, then went to her room! I took the garbage out myself, came back in around the time my BF was coming into the kitchen. He comes over to me to give me a hug and a kiss. SD12 is right behind him and as soon as I turned away from him was asking, "Can't I have a hug?" in a whiny voice. Seriously?! This kid just didn't want anything to do with me, but now that daddy is in the room?!

I called her on her BS. Told her no, because i saw her first and she didn't want anything to do with me. That i had tried to talk to her about her hair and she didn't want anything to do with me. Asked her to take out the garbage and she completely ignored me. Told her I didn't know what I had done to hurt her, but she was being very hurtful.

BF hears all of this and asks for the whole story when she leaves. Tells me not to let it get to me. Nope, sorry, she hurt me, I'm not going to act like everything is fine. He goes and "talks" to SD12 about her behavior and how she's supposed to do the things that I ask her to. Then comes back out to tell me he did it. She comes out a bit later and hugs me from behind. Of course, he's in the room still. Draws me a picture as well, gives it to me in front of him. He tells me it's her way of making amends. Whatever.

The next day I had told him he really needed to start taking her out on father/daughter dates. Spend quality time with each other. She has a blast, tells him that they should do it more often. He even told her it was my idea.

So Sunday comes along, BF and I have had yet another "discussion" about his divorce. He's been legally separated for 4 years. We have now been together 1 year and NOTHING has moved in his divorce. All he does is bug his wife about getting the attorney to file. Doesn't file himself though! I digress... I told him his daughter was difficult and he needed to recognize that. That she was only acting nice to me when he was around. He told me that when he talked to her about me, she feels that I try to manipulate his time with her and that I'm hard on her. About what I ask. He doesn't know. Yet he knows his child lies and that she will bring up something i was hard on her about from 9 months ago, but hey, let's bring it to my GF because my kid is obviously right.

I was upset by this and we were working in the yard, accidentally hit myself in the head causing a two inch gash. (long story about how I actually got it) Anyways, I did it right in front of SD12, who doesn't tell her dad that i'm dripping blood! He finally saw it on the ground and came running. Insisted that I needed to go to the ER. He runs back out, tells SD12 to help him get things picked up so he can take me to the ER. She goes in the house and gets a drink of water, then goes outside. He was pissed! Told her she was the most selfish person he knew. She then used waterworks on me, saying it was her fault that I was hurt. I fell for it, because I didn't know what had happened and tell him to tell her it's not her fault. Which is when I find out about her selfishness. Off to the ER we go, I get checked in, BF goes to pick up some water. SD12 tells me how bad her head is hurting. Wow, really? Mine feels awesome. BF comes back, she tells him the same thing and he tells her to drink some water. Next thing, she's trying to get him to come sit next to her instead of me. I'm bleeding here!

I didn't want him to leave her in the waiting room, so i let her come back into the room with me. As they are washing out the wound, he holds my hand, because it's hurting. She had to move up next to him and hold his other hand. I just don't know if I can deal with this. She is a selfish child and that's partly his fault! He "talks" to her instead of punishing when she isn't nice to me.

I just can't say I'm feeling very positive about our relationship right now...

Disneyfan's picture

SD isn't your problem.

The man is married and he isn't taking steps to get a divorce.

Aeron's picture

Forget the kid - this guy has been separated for 4 Years, in a relationship with you for a whole year and dumbass hasn't filed for divorce??

This guy does Not value you or your relationship. Whether that's because he's not over his wife, he's a lazy git, or he's abducted by aliens on a nightly basis, I don't know and it doesn't really matter. If he hasn't done it by now its because he doesn't think it's important which means he doesn't think your relationship is all that important.

When you add his bratty kid and his total inability to parent into the mix, yeah I wouldn't be feeling very positive about that relationship either. This guy needs to get his act together, by Himself, without prompting! before he's going to be even remotely ready for a serious relationship. He's already got a wife and a mini-wife - that's not really going to leave much for you. And I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in being a sister wife, and he doesn't seem all that interested in making sure he's in a monogamous adult relationship.

Find someone that values you and is ready to be in a relationship.

IslandGal's picture

Agree with Aeron!!

Either the idiot mans the hell up, divorces his wife and starts to show you the support you deserve, or you get the hell out of this!

ALL this is up to DH to fix - along with kerbing his mini-wife, who will just get worse, as she gets older.

oldone's picture

A woman I know spent years with a guy who was like your SO "almost divorced".

Guess what - the day his divorce was final he broke up with her. Told her he needed his space. In six months he was married to another woman.

If he is not willing to divorce his wife for you he is "just not that into you". period. dot.

Disillusioned's picture

Yup, she's jealous. Reminds me of my husband's eldest daughter, although she was 18 when the jealousy started with her (for the first 2 or 3 years she was fine???)

It's good that you are calling her out on things. A big mistake I made was not doing that. I let so much roll off my back, as did dh, that when we finally realized how jealous and resentful sd was the situation was already out of control.

This girl tried to destroy my relationship with dh (she did this with the old I'll walk out of your life routine) and when that wasn't getting results she pulled in dh's whole family and it got to the point where it seemed everyone had a choice: her or me Sad

We even thought that by everyone making a huge fuss over her all the time and everything revolving around her that she would snap out of it. But no, she wanted to be the # 1 single most loved person in dh's life and could not accept that he was in love with me. She gave dh an ultimatum, and lost. We still have problems with her to this day and she's now in her 30's

BTW: our wedding plans were put on hold for many good long years until both sd's were well-grown in their 20's before we finally married

furkidsforme's picture

Did it ever occur to you that he remains married so that he doesn't have to approach the issue of marriage with YOU?

I think you are being DUPED.

noidea1010's picture

You are all saying things I have definitely thought of in regards to the divorce. He would keep saying that his wife was going to file next week. Well a year later, I told him I don't believe that anymore (there was always an excuse. Besides, she was on his insurance, why would she be interested in getting a divorce?) and that if he really wanted it, he should file it himself. The part I don't get is why he would bring up marriage in the first place (yes, he brought it up) if he wasn't interested in getting married.

BTW, he showed up friday with the paperwork from the court saying he filed for divorce. Of course, it's not final yet and I have no intention of being stupid enough to wait around another year. I'm thinking I'm stupid for putting up with it this long, but I'm not that stupid.

As to his daughter, the only thing I could think of to do when he had her this time, was just to bring it to his attention that she wasn't treating me nicely when she did it. I'm tired of the "yeah right" just because I tried to deal with it, instead of making sure he was aware of it.

Aeron's picture

He brought it up because its a carrot to keep you hanging around. Just because a man talks marriage doesn't mean he intends to do a darn thing about it. My SIL has been "engaged" for longer than I've known my husband. There's always a reason they aren't getting married even though SIL is dying to. He doesn't have a ex to blame it on, so it's always because of money. It's been 4 years of engaged, they've been together for 7/8 years and they aren't holding off because of her. She just doesn't realize that they aren't ever going to get married. I have a guy cousin who's done basically the same thing. He's been engaged for like 2-3 years, he doesn't really want to marry this girl but she still has a ring. He just won't set a date.

Your guy has a pretty good deal with the way things are. It sounds like you haven't given him too much flak over the situation,he hasn't had to do much and keep blaming someone else and he still has you in his bed and helping pay the bills and putting up with his brat. Talking about marriage costs him nothing and might keep you hanging around longer, so why not.

Ad if he has really filed for divorce,yea, don't expect that to be over in a year. Depending on how crazy or bitchy the ex is and what state you're in,it can take forever. It took 3 years for my DH because BM just kept dragging crap out,contesting Everything, asking for extension after extension, presenting "evidence" on napkins... totally crazy crap. High conflict divorces are not fun and are not fast.

Btw , the kid will consider you the "other woman" and the reason her parent's marriage ended since he's not even divorced yet. I didn't meet DH until nearly 10 years after his divorce and still get accused of "stealing" him.

Disillusioned's picture

Your dh could well be delaying because of not wanting to deal with BM's reaction...and his daughters! It's not always that simple or that you are not important enough