You are here

The fact that partner has done this big thing with someone else

Mokmek's picture

I have been with my partner for almost 2 years now and he has one child. We have formed our own part of the family for the child, and everything is good. We have built quite strong and intimate relationship with the stepchild, and we care each other. I like to have the child around every other weekend, and I love my partner being a parent – that’s maybe one of the best things about him. I don’t want my own kids and my partner is happy with the one he has. Only one thing is very difficult and overwhelming in this picture: my partner has this enormous experience what is probably the biggest and the most important thing in his life. The problem for me is that he has experienced this with someone who isn’t me. Our relationship will never achieve something so big like this. This reality both hurts and makes me happy. Same time when my partner and his child make my life amazing; same time they make me miserable because I am the most outsider of the family and lack the experience of having biological children.

Do you people struggle with these kinds of emotions?

hereiam's picture

Our relationship will never achieve something so big like this.

That is just not true. No, you aren't going to have a kid together, but that is not what makes a relationship special.

I am childless, by choice. But my DH's experience of being with me is better than either of his experiences with his first two wives. They each gave him a kid, big deal, I make him happy. He does not feel a bond with either one of them just because of his daughters.

Having a kid is not the be-all, end-all experience in a relationship. Literally, an egg met up with a sperm, it happens everyday.

I am my husband's third wife, technically, but he will tell you that as far as he is concerned, I am the number one wife. We have been together longer than the other two put together and he lives a life with me, emotionally and spiritually, that he didn't have with them and never would have, kids or not.

He loves his daughters and he feels that his time with their mothers helped make him who he is, so he does not regret those relationships, but they are certainly not more special to him than ours simply because those women birthed his daughters.

my partner has this enormous experience what is probably the biggest and the most important thing in his life. The problem for me is that he has experienced this with someone who isn’t me.

That may have been the biggest and most important thing that happened in his relationship with the child's mother, but it will be some other experience that the two of you share, and it will be no less important.

Having this experience with his ex didn't keep them together, did it?

Rags's picture

hereIam,

Thanks for your brilliance. "Having this experience with his ex didn't keep them together, did it?"  Brilliant.

I appreciate you and the example you and your DH are living.

Mokmek's picture

Hereiam,

wonderful words, thank you! Your message made me think my choice to be childless. Having children is not a thing for me and I appreciate and want different things from life. Now I have somehow made myself see our relationship with my partners child, well of course because she exists. She is present almost every day in thoughts and conversations even though she visits our home every other weekend. But yes, my relationship with my partner has other things that are special. There are those important things what I dream from life, and we have our shared experiences, plans and dreams. Like you said, having kids is not the be-all, end-all experience in a relationship (or life).

I am somehow seeing this having a kid experience very big. In our society it is often seen as a major achievement and for many/most of the people it is life changing. And now this topic has come closer to me through my partner.

Having this experience with his ex didn't keep them together, did it?

Certainly not. This is a good point and occasionally I lean on this.

Rags's picture

First, procreation is a biological function. Nothing more.  Any two opposite gender mammals, reptiles ,amphibians, fish, invertebrates, etc... with functioning gonads can procreate.

You and your SO will have any number of incredible experiences together that will be accomplished with far higher level functions than squirting a sperm at an egg.  You will have careers, make a life together, travel, attend concerts, visit museums, etc, etc, etc... While his failed family zygote will do what zygotes do. It will grow up. Nothing more than a continuation of the initial mindless basic biological process that got the whole parental ball rolling for DH, his X, and created their failed family breeding experience.

Not so special when you break it down to the basics is it?

Now, as SD's SM you will have a major impact on her life.  Not because you have to, not because you perpetrated the basic sperm squirting/egg targeting process that resulted in her existence, but because you choose to have a major impact on her life.  I met my incredible bride when our son (my SS-29) was 15mos old.  We married the week before he turned 2yo.  I have raised him as my own.  He acts like me, thinks like me, talks like me, has a sense of humor much like me, is succeeding in life much like his mom and I are, etc, etc, etc.... We are very proud of him.

That said, he is not the peak of our life's accomplishments. He certainly shared in a number of them when we were raising him. But we have gone on to so much more after we became empty nesters.  We have traveled the world, lived in a number of countries, continued to grow two highly successful careers, we yearn to be together when we are apart, and in all likelihood we have another two or maybe and hopefully three + decades to do incredible things together. And no doubt we will remain proud of the "kid". I raised him as my own, he asked me to adopt him when he was 22. We made that happen. My happiest and most proud day... so far. But... there is so much more to come.

Yes, kids, at least the well raised models, can be special. But they are not the be all and end all of life. Not even the phase of life when they are in our lives as young children. Do not discount your place as your DH's equity life partner because of some basic biological secretion episode with a poor choice of partners that your DH made an ever increasing number of years ago. You get to be your DH's mate, help raise SD, and you will not have the stretch marks, sagging breasts, etc..... that BM will likely deal with. You can proudly participate in raising SD while not having physically participated in her mere existence.

Do not sabotage yourself or your relationship over an insignificant biological event. How you influence the product of that event is far more important than the act that initiated the opportunity you have to impact her ever expanding little life.

IMHO of course.

Have fun!

Mokmek's picture

Rags,

Not so special when you break it down to the basics is it?

Well, I see this process of procreation with many other aspects. There are processes of decision making, waiting to be a parent, pregnancy, waiting for the baby, hopes and fears how the baby will grow, getting to know with the baby, expectations of the new life etc. I know these are kind of made-up processes in our culture, society, and environment, but I am part of it

Do not discount your place as your DH's equity life partner because of some basic biological secretion episode with a poor choice of partners that your DH made an ever increasing number of years ago.

This! Someday the memories and emotions of the processes I listed will be a distant history. Right now, those are very close and present (to me), and I can't escape from dealing with them.

That is very wisely said that my influence on the child during the years is far more important than the event what made her exist. I think I raise the act of birth very high here. It is a significant moment what people remember for the rest of their lives but it lasts only few hours. I hope and expect significant experiences from our relationship and those will be composed from different parts of our lives. The parts will be more or less meaningful than the birth of the child. Actually, I should think that those are different from that event.

Ángelmomlife's picture

Thank you for this post!

Sunshine1992's picture

This is a much more poignant way of saying what I've felt for a long time. Stbx just randomly decided to impregnate bm without even rly knowing each other and well,  we have the result. A really lame kid who will probably never  benefit anything to society at large. 

i truly hope this does not go against anyone's morals, but here it goes: I terminated a pregnancy with stbx. I know deep down I did the right thing especially seeing what he's doing to raise his kid, which is basically nothing except try to be his "best friend". They chose their path which was to completely devalue the child's life by bringing him into a pathetic situation. 

anyway, I want to thank you for your comments on this issue. They really put reality into perspective and help me to tone my emotions down. 

Yellow glasses's picture

I dont know what to say about that or if its true in all cases. Some parents will always value, love and respect more the kid then the partner. Or at least you just feel like that. Its not even about the ex. Its about the children. You feel like second class citezen no matter how you put it, in some cases of course.

ImFreeAtLast's picture

I would not have married my husband if I didn't want kids. I have never had feelings of being an outsider because I have kids with him. 

Rumplestiltskin's picture

To me, it depends on your partner. Some partners put the kids ahead of the spouse even in an intact family. That can often be the reason that family failed. The bioparent then continues the cycle in subsequent relationships. Watch out for phrases like "kids always come first!" Some people also will put themselves first, and, if that is taken too far, as i do think self-care is important, will also cause their marriage and subsequent relationships to fail. 

Some people, though, will put their spouse first (or second to God if religious, since some churches preach 1) God 2) Spouse 3) Kids 4) Self.) Those marriages have a higher chance of lasting, so people like that aren't as likely to be dating with a prior marriage and kids.

I think some people can learn from their prior mistakes and be a good partner despite having baggage, too. You, as your DH's spouse, should never have your needs and wants put second to a child's wants or even an ex's wants or needs. And if your needs are always second to your partner's wants, that is also a problem. It's down to priorities. 

hereiam's picture

OP doesn't say anything about her partner putting his kid before her, just about her own feelings of him having had the experience of having a child with someone else. She sometimes feels like the outsider because of this, she never said that HE makes her feel like the outsider. There is a difference.

Yellow glasses's picture

Yes true, but I changed the course of the topic just to get some imput. Its different yes.

True. We don't know why OP feels this way. Her DH may be doing everything right and it may just be her. But - if OP has never felt this way in a relationship before (and we don't know if she has or hasn't) but feels like an outsider right now, then there is something going on. Our partners will always have other things in their lives. Work, friends, hobbies, school, his mother, whatever it might be. If you feel like an outsider in your own home or relationship, then something is out of balance. Maybe a therapist can get to the bottom of it. 

hereiam's picture

Actually, we do know why she feels this way.

The problem for me is that he has experienced this with someone who isn’t me.

I know that in a lot of cases (yours?) it's the partner who can cause these feelings but she, in no way, implies that it's anything that her partner has done.

I will agree that we all, myself included, come from our own situations which led us here and it's easy to project our situation onto others. Maybe in this situation it is OP who is the problem. She seems to think it is, but it's a relatively short post and i think there may be more to the story. What i wanted to get across, though, is that maybe there isn't something wrong with her. Maybe there is something in the situation that can be changed that will help her feel like less of an outsider. If that isn't the case, then she should definitely try to change her thinking and just get over it, but i hope she isn't just assuming it's her. Some people tend to blame others for bad situations but some people tend to rush to blame themselves. It can be hard to know, especially from inside the situation.

ETA maybe it's a little of both. Maybe she can change her thinking and also change the situation. 

Mokmek's picture

A lot of conversation here and it's a bit hard to catch up. If we want to solve out where or who is the problem, I am not sure. I think it is the situation and the fact that my partner has done this thing many years before we even knew about each other. It might be also me because I'm having hard time accepting my partners past. I don't compare myself to the child as people. I am pretty sure we can't be comparable. I am an adult who can take care of herself, but the child is 6 year old person who definitely needs the help from her close ones. Now, when I'm digging into this I think I am comparing experiences, not the people or relationships.

But there is one event what might have an impact to my feelings. I met my partners ex recently. Not the first time ever but it was the first time we spent a little time together. We talked something like what do we do in our lives and something about the child. I suppose we both were little frustrated of the situation, but we had a decent conversation. So, I think I started to think about my partners past deeply. Like oh, this is the person who is the other parent of my partners child.

Yellow glasses's picture

@Rumplestiltskin 

Yep very good imput. 

But, unfortunately to some people no matter how you put it and how many explanations or motivations you bring they're just set to fail. 

Oh, the frustration.

I don't think you can make someone change their core values. I think you can explain the situation as you see it, explain your values (a monogamous adult partnership where each is the most important person in the other's life, for example), you can tell someone what you want to see happen. But you can't make them want what you want.

Even if they do, or say they do, sometimes their behaviors are so ingrained there's no changing them. It's so frustrating trying to wrack your brain to try to find the right words to make someone see things the way you want them to. To argue over and over and get upset and disappointed over and over. I realize now that when you try and try without results, that's what they call a lost cause. 

Yellow glasses's picture

Just for clarity...why do these people get defensive and pissed when faced with this side of things and their own bullshit? Defense mechanism, oblivious, manipulation? 

Kerrywho's picture

From my experience dating a single dad, the single dad, even if he doesn't love his ex anymore will always have a place in their heart for the ex because of the, 'that's the mother of my child' type of logic. Even if the guy hates her, he will always have that level of respect and reverence for her. And THAT, was something I couldn't hang with. 

For some reason the society we live in places a lot of value on children, family and the formation of both. Which is why these fathers feel the way they do for their exs. 

I always felt because I didn't have a kid with my ex or a kid period that I wasn't held in the high regard she was despite the fact that unlike her, I don't live with my mother, I'm not basically unemployed, and can't even provide a bed for my child. But hey, I guess allowing your body to do something it does naturally earns you extra points in this world even if you're not a good parent and probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place. 

That was one of the many reasons I couldn't stay with my ex. I'm a hard working RN with a good head on her shoulders, I'm independent, loving and a productive member of society. I couldn't take a position in someone's life where all of that made me a secondary citizen to someone who wasn't half the person I am just because she birthed his child. 

Mokmek's picture

Kerrywho, yes I share the same thoughts with you! Our society values children and family a lot (too much) and that makes me frustrated. Though I'm working in a meaningful field and  I am quite successful in it, I's a good friend and very close to my family, but this cultural environment is like screaming that children are more important that those thing what I do and enjoy. My partner is not "lifting" his ex particularly because that's the kids other parent. I think he appreciates his ex in some way and it's a good thing for the child. But some times it's overwhelming to realise and think about "the wrong" side of this.

And btw I have talked about this with my partner, but the conversations are more like basic level. The topic is quite sensitive and its hard to go deeper.

But hey, I guess allowing your body to do something it does naturally earns you extra points in this world even if you're not a good parent and probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place.

This sucks! >:(

Rags's picture

Everyone has a past that they bring to their relationship.  I for one would not change a thing.  My past and my bride's past are part of  what makes each of us the person the other loves.

Loxy's picture

Having kids is not the big thing, it's having a healthy and loving relationship that is. My DH had very little bond with the mother of his kids (long story) so my feelings of insecurity about that were fleeting. I did used to feel like a fraud a lot though (as the step-mother) ie doing the mother role when the skids were in our care but not actually being the mother. Especially when I had to interact with other parents and I knew a lot of the other mothers of the skids friends were judging me (a lot because of the lies BM told) but also because I took my skids on when they were both in nappies so there were a lot of assumptions about me being the other woman.

Luckily, I've never cared what others think of me - especially those who will judge me based on limited (or one-sided information). 

However, the one thing that did really, really bother me was how sad I felt that when we had a child together (11 years after getting together) that the excitment of it being our first was only something I felt. This wasn't a new experience fo DH and I felt alone a lot of the pregnancy to be honest as we were in different places about how we felt about it. However, fast forward yp mpe and DH is madly in love with our DS3 and we bond every day over our shared love for him so it turned out well in the end. 

Being a step-parent is often a very isolating role but it's up to your DH to make sure you're included as part of your beautiful blended family. 

YearsIntoIt's picture

Having bio children together is not the only thing that creates a big important bond. Doing "life" together does that - overcoming adversities, undertakings adventures.

I am child free by choice, but co-parenting my husband's daughter that has been living with us since she was 1.5 yrs old (now 13) . We did more co-parenting with him than his ex wife 

Rags's picture

My DW and I did the same thing raising my SS-29.  We met when he was 15mos old and married the week before he tuned 2yo.

He asked me to adopt him when he was 22.  

The three of us created a family together.  She (DW) and I created important bonds over far more than just raising the great young man that we raised together. If he was our only accomplishment and bonding point, we would in all likelihood not have what he have 11 years after our son launched.

Thank  you for this wisdom.

misfitspanon's picture

You're definitely not alone. I've been with my SO for 1.5 years (living together for almost 1) and I have been struggling with these feelings a lot lately. I don't resent my SK, but I resent the fact that I will never be able to give my SO this kind of love (I can't have children) and that I wasn't part of giving him this child he gushes about constantly. It's hurtful, and the knife feels like it's being twisted deeper each time I hear him just gush about SK and how lucky he is to have such an incredible amazing gift in his life. (let me be clear, I LOVE that my SO is such an awesome loving Dad who adores his kid, but it's not our kid and it hurts). Even if I were able to give him a child, I think I would struggle that we wouldn't be having all those 'firsts' together. I very often feel like an outsider and less than.

xorn's picture

The wife has a child with her ex, but doesn't want one with me!!!

• Is she hoping they get back together?
  • Does the separation between her and her brother, makes her not want another child?
  • I have been a Dad to hers since he was in 1st grade...he's 13 now.
  • Is a divorce necessary.

Rags's picture

Have you considered that her first experience in having a child that was so miserable, emotionally painful, and life altering that she refuses to do it again?  With that experience, why would she want to?

My DW had my SS-29 when she was 16.  We met when SS was 15 mos old and married the week before he turned 2yo.  For the 16+ years under a CO she/we countered their toxic manipulative bullshit games, attempts to take custody, and to draw the kid into their low performance multigenerational shallow and polluted gene pool.  

Never once in the 27+ years we have been married have I asked myself those questions.  She is my priority.  PERIOD!  The why's, whose and what's of her life before me are in large part what makes her the incredible woman I am blessed to make a life with.  

I have a child, as do you.  The biology makes zero difference in that fact IMHO.

If spawning is that important to you, move on and let this woman live a happy life.

continuallyconflicted08's picture

I am childish by choice..... Never wanted kids of my own, DH didn't want anymore, that old chestnut. 

When we first got together this idea bothered me to the core as well - some days when I look at the oldest skid i still get a twinge of it because him and biomom who's a nightmare are the same person... but the thing that gives me solace is even though they have kids together, they NEVER had the trust, care, love, respect etc in their relationship. She lied, she cheated (while pregnant I might add), emotionally abused him, the works. Even now the relationship she has with her new partner is completely dysfunctional. So I realized to have this feeling of disappointment of not having shared this "big moment" is delusional because there is so much that's more important. Movies and hallmark put this pressure on us that this is what we're supposed to do and that it's the biggest moment of life but screw that. They don't show the moms who wanted kids and realized after the fact that they should have thought twice. Or the babies born out of bad relationships. And they also don't highlight that it is PERFECTLY OK to not want kids. In fact, could argue it makes you stronger for keeping your own and not feeling bullied into something you don't want because that also happens... especially when families get involved.

Rags's picture

I heard what you meant.

I have no BKs.  Never felt the need or urge to have them. Not that I didn't want them. Nor that I did want them. My perspective on kids of my own has always been... meh.  I love kids, but don't need any of "my own".

I love my niece and nephews.  My brother and his wife replaced me. My DW replaced herself.  And I got to raise him as my own.  The thought of my DW having this big thing with someone else has never entered my mind.  SS asked me to adopt him. So... I ended up with a kid. Happily I might add.

Her history is what makes her so incredible.Mine makes me the best husband I can be to her and I try to improve in that every day. Those things are what make us so good together.  Many of those who worship their children are lacking so much in life.  I am lacking absolutely nothing.

I am childless. But I would not classify it as being by choice. It just has never mattered to me one way or the other.