You are here

BM is jealous of my relationship with kids

SmomInNY's picture

I just discovered this blog- and I am glad to see it. A lot of times I feel there is nobody out there to talk to about this since my DH doesn’t want to hear it or thinks I am making things up. I have 3 SDs (and 2 BM involved). I have been married for 5 years to the BF. I have a great relationship with the kids but I am having an issue with one of the BM. She is wicked jealous of me and my relationship with the kids. She is remarried and they treat me and the BF like we are inconsequential parents, especially me. And I am starting to seriously resent this woman. I have never been possessed by hatred before, so this is new to me, but it is beginning to affect my relationship with the SKs and DH.

She treats me differently when my DH is around then when he is not and when I tell the DH some of the things she does, he defends her, which adds to my anger. When I got married and became a SM, my DH told me I would be an equal with him as a parent, or else I probably wouldn’t have agreed to do so. Since there are actually 4 parents involved- me, BF, BM and SD- I literally feel like the 3 of them make decisions and I am just there for rides, cooking, buying things etc. Although my DH does encourage my relationship with step kids- But then that makes the BM all the more angry.

Any advice on what to do here? Or at least deal with this woman. I love these kids and want to be close to them and it breaks my heart when the BM does what she can to interfere.