You are here

Am I being unreasonable? I don't think so....

Miss Claire 1985's picture

My partner has his 3 kids over every other weekend. I recently mentioned to him that, if his weekend with them lands on my 30th birthday in September(which is conveniently on a Saturday), I don't want them to come over as I want to enjoy my milestone birthday and maybe have a weekend away or something. It isn't every day you turn 30 after all. He replied by saying fine, we'll just swap weekends (i.e. have them over two weekends in a row). I said I wasn't happy with that either, we both work full-time and why should my weekend be ruined and I be punished when the odd, infrequent thing comes up. He pays more CSA than he is required to so that is not the issue.

This opened a whole can of worms in relation to other issues such as when we go on two-week vacations (where I think the same principle should apply but he still thinks he should have kids two weekends in a row). He made me explode when he said "She (BM) has a right to expect me to have them". This is a woman who cheated on him and shows him no respect at all. Yet he is defending her?!

The thing about divorced dads is that they expect to meet a younger, unattached woman and then dictate how things are going to be which suit themselves and the kids. No compromising whatsoever. Well I stormed out the house and he reluctantly agreed to what I'd said. he should've just done that in first place and avoided WW3.

Meh, divorced dads (vom).

onthefence2's picture

Yes, you ARE being unreasonable. He already compromised when he decided he would switch weekends if his visitation fell on your birthday. The end.

Although, this is a moot point because you won't last until Sept. I suggest you find someone closer to your age without children. Why be miserable?

AllySkoo's picture

You are being an utterly ridiculous, spoiled child. And you are totally in the wrong. Jesus, I can't believe this is even a question.... I thought people THIS self-centered only existed on reality TV.

Thank you for your replies - I kinda expected that response and you're all probably right on a moral level. Unfortunately though it won't change my mind. I just can't get my head around all this "his kids come first" and "how dare you get in the way of the precious time he has with them". I think relationships fail if the partners don't put each other first. Unless they're both desperate and scared of being left on the shelf.

onthefence2's picture

He has at least 20-26 other days of the month to put you first. If that is not enough, you will never be happy.

AllySkoo's picture

" I think relationships fail if the partners don't put each other first."

You're right, and that's exactly why YOUR relationship is going to fail. In what way are you putting your partner first?!? Nope, it's all YOU YOU YOU and screw your husband because clearly he doesn't matter to you. Your DH is going to end up divorcing you, and with good reason. I just hope you don't have kids first, because if you do those kids are fucked.

AllySkoo's picture

You're asking him to put you "only."

Yes, this right there! SHE is supposed to be the one and only priority for BOTH of them. Hopefully he'll grow a spine and ditch her soon.

Disneyfan's picture

He did put you first when he agreed to not get his kids on your birthday weekend.

You are the one being unreasonable in this situation.

Rags's picture

You are abso-frickin-lutely right IMHO Claire. The adult relationship must be the single unequivocal priority for both partners regardless of the presence or biology of any spawn. The kids are the primary in the relationship but the marriage/adult SO relationship is the unchallenged priority or the relationships days are numbered from the get go.

fedupstep's picture

I'm afraid I will have to agree with the other comments. He could have easily stuck to the visitation schedule (which most would do). He offered to switch so you can have your birthday weekend skid free. But you expect him to go a month without seeing his kids? It can't be both ways. He offered a reasonable comprimise. Either suck it for the 2 consectitive weekends or give up your birthday weekend to the skids.

hollyissad's picture

If I were a parent, I would be terribly depressed at only seeing my kids every other weekend. I don't think it is fair that he has to give up precious time when he is being generous to you by offering to switch weekends to accommodate your birthday.

We have SD6 all the time except for Wednesday evening and Sunday morning when she is at church with her grandma. It is hard and a major adjustment! But it is important for him to have a strong, healthy relationship. You are given all weekdays and many weekends alone with your SO. I don't think he is neglecting you.

kathc's picture

D you have any idea how many of us would be thrilled to get a weekend swapped so we could not have skids on our birthday, anniversary, random other special day that we don't want them around for? He offered to do that without argument. It's unreasonable to expect he'd not want to take them two weeks in a row to make up for it.

hollyissad's picture

Agree completely. She mentions no compromise whatsoever. Ummmm....HE is compromising. OP is not. How awful that she thinks she is being punished by him having his kids for two weekends. Perhaps she should make herself scarce that extra weekend.

And seriously....it's an ADULT birthday. If you want the weekend off then so be it, but it should come with the stipulation that he gets to make the time up. They are his children! The relationship should be a priority but his kids will always be his biggest responsibility. His kids already get the short end of the stick with EOWE visitation.

AllySkoo's picture

I can see why you'd want to admire her stance - and if she'd executed it differently I might even agree with you. Unfortunately, I agree with Echo. Her DH gave her what she said she wanted - her birthday with no skids - and instead of being appreciative she threw a fucking temper tantrum and "stormed out of the house" because he wanted to see his kids a different weekend. That's not strength - that's childish. And I just can't admire that. Lol It would be akin to admiring Dtzy's SS for how he handles his dad! No bueno, as she would say. Wink

AllySkoo's picture

No, no, I understood what you meant. Like I said, I can see why you'd want to admire her - standing up for herself, making her wishes known and clear, not backing down. I get it. I was just saying that FOR ME, the context in which she does those things matters. You're separating the "how", saying that yeah, she acted childishly, but her underlying strength is still admirable. I'm just saying (again, FOR ME) that the underlying "strength" is NOT admirable when it's executed in such a fashion. Like Dtzy's kid, I can admire when a kid has confidence and motivation (it takes some big brass balls to stand up to Dtzy, his dad, AND two older step brothers) but NOT when the way they do it is to throw a tantrum and break crap and basically make people SCARED of crossing you. No, I admire strength when someone can stand up for themselves and say "THIS is the way I see it, THIS is what I want. We can talk about it, and we can debate it, but I am not changing my mind." It's the difference (pardon the GROSS exaggeration in the comparison) between admiring peaceful protesters who are willing to be inconvenienced, or even hurt, by standing up for what they believe in, and my complete disdain for terrorists who are willing to hurt OTHERS for their cause. Method matters, and I can't condemn the method and still claim to admire the strength of conviction behind it.

Disneyfan's picture

What's to point of being first in his life, if you have to badger him and make him feel like shit in order to get there?

If she's first in his life, it isn't because he truly feels that she should be. She may be first because he felt that giving in was better than continuing to argue.

Mikhaila87's picture

I know a bit of background to Miss Claire's situation. I think people are very quick to personally attack people on this forum. Yes she has asked for an opinion. But words have been used a such as "arrogant, self centred, selfish and childish" And even people swearing saying "fuck" seriously...give your opinion but swearing and being attacking someone isn't constructive. If you think that she is being unreasonable...fine. Like a lot of people have put their opinion across without attacking her. As we all know being a step parent is hard...hard emotional work. Somethings think people should think before being a keyboard warrior...I know some back history hear, and to be honest she is a great step mum. She isn't a selfish monster that some of you are making out. There are situations in here when I think yes, you are being out of order. This is her 30th birthday...not a 31st...or 29th. This is a big birthday. And sometimes if the skids have been really winding you up, you need a bit of support not an attacked. Even constructive critism...but not being damn right rude.

Disneyfan's picture

Why should support selfish behavior? The guy was willing to skip his weekend with his kids in order to spend the whole weekend focused on her. In return he wants to make up the missed time with his kid. She flipped out.

Just because someone is a SM, doesn't mean posters should just support her if she’s acting like a spoiled brat.
If a BM or stepdaughter pulled what the OP pulled, they would be called everything in the book. Why should it be different when the offender is a SM?

MissJulsie's picture

It's a yuck situation all around.

It was yuck for the husband to go through the split up, yuck for the ex-wife to now be living the life of a single mother (even though it's her fault), yuck for the kids to have their home broken up and their taken away from them, yuck for the husband to lose his kids. It was possibly yuck for the kids to see Daddy kissing and living with another lady. But most of all, the person who it is most yuck for, is the step-parent.
She does'nt love any of these people, and she now has to be in a situation where she gets treated like the least important person of the lot.
Well this SM is saying no! And I'm joining her in pioneering a new way of thinking, in that the husband must put his marriage first.

It's no longer good enough to say 'Oh, you knew he had kids'. Did you know that step-families are overtaking traditional nuclear families in the percentage they make up in society? (According to Amercian author Wednesday Martin, who wrote 'Stepmonster').
THerefore, it is also no longer good enough to say "Oh, go easy on the kids, because they're from a broken home". Is the world really going to stop spinning for every child from a broken home? We'd be stopping for 50% of the population!

One thing (And I'm going to add this very point as a general post at the end of all this).... One thing you're all forgetting is: Why is it such a tragedy that the DH has to wait 3 weeks before seeing his children again? We have become so soft and sooky in todays' society! What about all the children who used to go to boarding school for a whole term, and only see their parents in the term break? (Which still happens by the way). Or fathers with really important jobs, who have to fly away for business for up to a month? Or older kids, who become an exchange student and live overseas for 6 months?????

twoviewpoints's picture

The OP choose to have a relationship with a man with children. The man is willing to compromise scheduling around the OP's birthday. But that's not good enough for the OP. Did the OP tell her 'partner' upfront date one, that he would be expected to dump his children each and every time the OP decides he shouldn't 'punish her' by having those pesky unloved kids around for two weekends in a row? If she did and he said 'ok', then the OP has an argument to say 'partner you've backed out of our agreement'.

No, yu bet your buns OP didn't lay that 'rule' down from the initial get-go. You know why? Because this man would have told her to pack her buns back in the car and hit the road. In all seriousness it doesn't sound as if the OP and her 'partner' have been together all that long to begin with. If they had been it wouldn't be the first birthday weekend upset or the first time of discussing what happens if they go on two week vacations. Nope. This is a new relationship, and this woman is telling her 'partner' exactly who she is and how she will act when and if she doesn't get her own way...to hell to what the 'partners' way or wishes may be. Nope those wishes and wants don't count and absolutely not will any compromising be expected on the OP's part. No. None.

On might ask why OP just didn't find a guy who fit her needs ad desires instead of selecting one she knew had prior commitments . Op (and you) can read all the step-parenting books you please, champion for any 'put me me me first' agendas that tickles your fancy. However no matter how many book, causes and/or youthful sex and eye candy she can provide is going to make up 100% replacing the guys kids. Pfft. the 'partner' found the OP, he'll find another one. What the OP wants is not being put first, but rather being the one and absolute only.

Whoa what a stir I've caused! Was even compared to a terrorist! Lol!

^^Thank you Mikhaila and you took the words right out of my mouth. I asked for people's opinions on this out of curiosity, and I expected honesty, but some of the venomous comments I have read are quite frankly disgusting. You call me "childish" but you need to take a look at yourself with some of the poison I've read here. I would never respond to anyone in that manner and again, it is just downright rude. For the one's who responded with some decorum and integrity, thank you.

MissJulsie's picture

Miss Claire 1985 I support you. I am shocked and appalled at the disgusting language used by all these so-called "ladies"
" on the forum. (Who should all be ashamed of themselves for being so un-lady-like!!!!)

Having said all that, I wonder if it does sound like you are feeling over-run by the skids. Can I suggest that you need to work harder in getting out there and living life to the full when the skids come to stay.?

I actually am virtually never there when my SS comes to stay. I mostly go and stay with my parents, and spend the time catching up with friends, reading books that I've always wanted to read, watch movies that my partner would never watch in a million years, or just sit there looking up as many weird and wonderful things on YouTube as I can.

This is YOUR life, which is not to be lived in the shadow of the skids. It really does sound like you have sacrificed too much of yourself already, which could be why you feel like having them two weekends in a row is a punishment.

Make a list of places you've always wanted to see, and things you've always wanted to do. You can have YOUR hobbies, and your partner can have his kids as HIS hobby. And then when it's not a skids weekend, working even harder at making the time with your partner 'quality time' .

As for all you ''ladies' who were spitting and screeching such venom: you are forgetting a few things:

1. A woman who skids come over EOWE , does not spend all the OTHER days in the month, skipping through the poppy fields with her DH. Most of the time, on weekdays, it's all the day-to-day stuff. I feel that sometimes the skids get MORE quality time with him in a weekend than the SM does in a fortnight.

2. Everyone is banging on and on about the concept of putting people 'FIRST'. What does putting someone 'FIRST' really mean? Is it a blanket rule that covers all situations and circumstances???? No!!!! Priorities are weighed up on a situation -by - situation basis.

3. Did you not think to ask more questions, such as 'are the skids respectful?' , or 'do they respect the household rules and property when they come to stay?' or 'do they understand that when they come to stay, they are staying in the home of. Miss Claire and DH?'

4. Why are you all telling her to leave, as if it's as easy as selling something on e-bay? I don't see any of you leaving your husbands, and from I gather, none of your lives are a picnic either

5. Why are you calling her 'selfish' just from this one example? You don't see all the little things she may do for him throughout the day, throughout the week. Why could you not simply point out that her DH made what could be arguably construed as a sizeable sacrifice, and that she needs a reminder to meet him 50/50, even if she is far removed from his perspective.

I could add about 50 points here. Maybe more for another day.

Having said all that, Miss Claire, you do need to have a think about what you would do if you were both required to have the skids on a full time basis - even if only for a year. You need to sit down with your DH and figure that out.

And if you want a more dignified place to share and converse, drop me a line.

Take care.... Smile

MissJulsie - Every time I think I've got everything figured and can articulate my thoughts / feelings perfectly regarding the SM lifestyle, someone comes along and gives me an epiphany. Particularly the first point that you made - I could not have put this better myself. I'm always hearing "well you've got him the other 20+ days of the month so quit whining" but this time is spent getting up at 6am, going to work, getting home at 6pm, going to the gym, making tea, doing chores and then finally collapsing into bed. It is not quality time. When the skids come over, every second is usually dedicated entirely to them, doing fun things that they want to do. This is why I am so possessive of "my" weekends. I don't see it as 4 days out of a whole month - it is more like 2 weekends out of 4.

I also love your point about the blanket "first" statement. Again I've had this continually rammed down my throat by others, that his kids will "always" come first (yawn). But I can give several examples when you could say he's put me first like when we were invited to a Halloween party at my cousin's and he took skids to his parents to babysit so we could attend it. As you rightly pointed out, coming "first" is a fluid thing and should be determined depending on the situation.

WTF...REALLY's picture

OMG..this just pissed me off...you think you have just so much to do???? I am both a SM and a BM, both sets of kids live with me full time... and I work full time....coming home from work and having time to go to the gym, make tea and get MY chores done sounds like a fuckin vacation.

Your dh hardly has his kids, and you feel you should have them less since its your birthday???? Good god. You must be a step mom from hell for that BM to deal with.

Gym and tea time after work....you poor thing...so much to do so little time. Give me a break.

Rags's picture

Oh yes please. Can I come along? I will bring my bride and we can make it a beach party.

MissJulsie's picture

Well Miss Claire, sounds like you need all the epiphanies you can get. It's a hard situation, and you need to drown yourself in books, videos and everything else you can get your hands on. Get on Amazon, and go, go, go!

MissJulsie's picture

Dtzyblnd, thank you for at least trying to work with me , rather than fighting against me. Smile

You are right when you say that there isn't one book or video that will single-handedly solve any of these unique problems. All these different pieces of information go into one huge melting pot of learning. We should never stop learning and furthering our education in this journey we call life.

But I know that I would rather benefit from the regular pearls of wisdom that peacefully come my way, than getting stuck into a rut of pity parties. You never know when you'll get just the right gem you're looking for at any given moment. And isn't it funny how descriptive words from a more sophisticated vocabulary do a better job at getting right to the heart of the issue!

Don't you think it's better to say something like "I sense that you're prematurely apprehensive of being ultimately undermined" , rather than a simple "You're f***ed in the head!" Not that we'd use long words for the sake of it. But aggressively insulting someone from an ego-driven place simply isn't as effective as speaking your truth from the heart.

Anyway, hope things eventually get better for you and your SS.

Take care Smile

MissJulsie's picture

Well dtzyblnd, Again, I agree with you, in saying that, at times, you need to call a spade a spade.

However, there are times when using insulting words can drive a person away even more.

So for instance, my DH is like many Disney Dads on here. Doesn't want to discipline his son, wants to spoil him. Looks at him through rose-coloured glasses. Only sees the good in him. Doesn't like hearing anything critical said about his child, and would turn a blind eye, and a deaf ear, even if his sons faults were pointed out to him.

Therefore, if I were to say "Your kid is a f**king stupid little sh*t!", then what good would that do? Would he listen to that?

Or how about I say (minus the big long fancy words) "I feel as if your son waits until someone speaks, just so he can deliberately interrupt".

Or "I don't think it's right that your son gets given new toys every week, when he hasn't earned them, and it's not Christmas or Birthday"

The sad thing is, is that everyone on here is having a tough time. Me too. We all think about leaving our partners every second day. (Most of us anyway). Let's not all fight amongst each other. The ex and the skids make life hard enough.

WTF...REALLY's picture

Fact...people who swear have been proven to be more honest.

You are "trying" to be politically correct but are still in a bad situation with your DH.

Try genuine honesty. And not trying to control the way people communicate on a blog.

Free your mind and the rest will follow.

I am extremely honest. My hubby and I do very well together. I do not blow smoke up his hot ass. He trust what I say and I know trust what he says.

Stop trying to be correct and start being kind and honest. Fuckin honest.

FMSL's picture

I don't personally think you're being unreasonable or selfish...maybe a little ungrateful...Believe me, it could be so much worse! At least you don't have skids fulltime every day of the work week plus every single weekend. I haven't had a single break from SD12 in over 7 years because BM is gone, lazy, and 100% absent. My past 7 birthdays have been so shitty because of SD that I told DH I'm not celebrating them anymore. It works for me. Last year my birthday was awesome for the first time in 7 years. I treated it like any other day and insisted DH do the same. SD had no clue it was my birthday and I kept that my little secret. After SD was in bed, DH gave me a very nice sentimental gift--a painting I always loved.

Be thankful you get at least some weekends without the skid. I haven't seen a peaceful weekend in ages and probably never will.

MissJulsie's picture

. One thing you're all forgetting is: Why is it such a tragedy that the DH has to wait 3 weeks before seeing his children again? We have become so soft and sooky in todays' society! What about all the children who used to go to boarding school for a whole term, and only see their parents in the term break? (Which still happens by the way). Or fathers with really important jobs, who have to fly away for business for up to a month? Or older kids, who become an exchange student and live overseas for 6 months????? :?

Disneyfan's picture

The choices other parents make for their kids doesn't matter here. The parent in question didnt enroll his kids in boarding school, send them off to be exchange students.... Based on what was posted here, he sounds like a good spouse and dad.

JustAgirl42's picture

Hehe...

are we sure Miss Claire and MissJules (or whatever) aren't the same person?

onthefence2's picture

Since you insist on this being addressed, here's the difference...

Boarding school is either viewed as a better education for the kid (who goes along willingly) or correction for a kid (who needs it). And typically in movies it's depicted as the place the evil stepmoms want to send the skid. Funny you should mention it.

A parent who travels for work, or in the military, or whatever "really important job" you can dream up... that is viewed as a necessity for making a living, and a kid deals with that as needed, while admiring Dad for taking care of business and doing what he needs to do.

In this situation, the kids won't see Dad because partner doesn't want them there. See the difference?

Dad wants to see kids. Kids want to see the Dad. The only problem standing in the way is a woman. Not a better education for the kids. Not a career. A woman. I wonder how that looks to the skids. Now wonder why SMs are often called evil.

The tragedy is not that he wouldn't see his kids for 3 weeks. The tragedy is having a woman who wants to keep him from his kids.

Rags's picture

I do not see it as she is wanting to keep her DH from his kids. I interpret as she is wanting time where the kids do not interfere with their life or take up time in their heads during a special time.

I have no issue with that at all.

WTF...REALLY's picture

Swamping weekends was the win win situation. Her saying no to swapping...no to kids two weekends in a row since it her birthday is beyond selfish....beyond selfish.

WTF...REALLY's picture

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! You want to change the EOWE program...then compromise. And if BM is willing...that is very nice of her. Not her wife's birthday...not her problem.

Its bullshit to have the kids miss their weekend with the dad...so the compromise is swapping weekends!!!! Simple, kind, fair, loving...all the things that make a marriage work. Acting like a spoiled teenage is how to NOT make a marriage work. Good grief!

Shaman29's picture

You are being selfish and unreasonable. These are his kids and switching weekends is not that big of a deal. Lots of us have done it or do it now.

At lease he offered to switch weekends to accommodate you, and didn't tell you too bad, celebrate your birthday on another weekend.

Based on your OP and your responses, I think you're behaving like a huge jerk.

Rags's picture

One small point. It will not be two weekends in a row, it will be 3. In an EOWE visitation scheme skipping one WE and rescheduling it means 3 weekends in a row with Skids. In an EOWE or EOW visitation scheme time cannot be made up without Mom and then dad getting 3 WEs or 3 weeks in a row as the case may be.

The OP wants her birthday weekend kid free and does not want 3 Skid WEs in a row.

I get that. I do. Particularly if I were a non breeding partner in a blended family marriage. Wait a second. I am the non breeding partner in a blended family marriage. Biggrin Wink

If you had a CO where you only had to see your SS-12 EOWE or EOW and took a vacation only to have to return to 3 SS-12 WEs or weeks in a row.... :?

I am not sure if this is a hill the OP can defend but I can understand her commitment to this as a hill she can die on.

Rags's picture

Like you I too believe a kid should have a relationship with both sides of its family. I committed to DW and the Skid that I would never prevent him from having a relationship with his Sperm Clan and upon occasion when they failed to take visitation due to idiot money decisions I gladly paid for their half of visitation travel. Sure, I rubbed their noses in their idiocy and thoroughly enjoyed barring their idiot asses over it but I made sure my kid got to see that part of his family.

However, shit happens, including vacations and missing a weekend upon occasion is not a, as my auditor bride puts it, significant event in the overall scheme of things for either the kids or the SO.

WTF...REALLY's picture

Not BMs wife...not her problem.

You want to swap, then swap. If you don't like 3 weekends in a row, don't swap.

Betrayd's picture

Wow, what a shitstorm! Yes, probably wrong about the weekend thing but shouldn't we be a bit more supportive here? I mean crap, aren't the skids enough to deal with? How about some compassionate redirection?

Rags's picture

I have not read all of this thread but ... I think your perspective is perfectly reasonable Miss Claire.

IMHO a partners past only gets the % of your time and your relationship as defined in the CO. If the CO says EOWE then that is it. If you have a two week vacation planned or a weekend event that requires that SO miss a weekend then that is life and he needs to realize that his past gets to infringe on your life only so much.

This is not selfish IMHO. This is reality. If he wants a relationship with you then he deals with those facts of the relationship.

Our CO is very clear. Visitation not taken cannot be made up at a later date or combined with any other visitation without agreement from the other parent. You count far more than his X so before he approaches his X to reschedule visitation he needs to get your approval.

As I said, his past should only get so much of your life. Not your kid, not your problem. Tell him don't discuss it with him. "We are having an adult weekend on my birthday. Inform BM that she has the kid that weekend regardless of the visitation schedule."

Then same goes for extended vacations. Adults in a relationship need kid free time together. In intact initial families the kids go to grandmas or camp, etc... and rarely does anyone whine or cry about it. In a blended family shit happens, the other parent gets the spawn, and the couple goes on vacation.

This was an issue that my bride and I had to work through. My family took a few vacations during the Skids 5wk summer visitation with the Sperm Clan and my wife and I did not go because my bride had major issues with guilt about going on vacation without the Skid. After a few missed vacations with my family I told my bride "we are going". She wanted my brother and his family and my parents to align with the Skid visitation schedule so he would not miss it. My family have lives too. My brother has ILs who need to spend time with he and family. My parents want to spend time with their sons and grand kids including the Skid but if he is not available when the other 9 of us in the family can go then so bet it. To this day my bride will get cranky when those vacations are mentioned even 15ish years later.

If SO's CO names BM as CP that gives you a lot of authority here. As the CP BM is the one who deals with visitation your SO does not take. This fact is one of the only advantages that an NCP often has.

All IMHO of course.

WTF...REALLY's picture

This is just sick. Sick sick sick. He did honor a request for you, switch weekends. This is this stuff that gives stepmoms the name...evil stepmom. I feel for those kids.

dood's picture

NO! No, No, No, No and, by the way, No. You are NOT being unreasonable. I just had the absolute WORST Valentine's Day ever because it was "kid weekend". I constantly look at the calendar to see how many weekends and holidays will be shot to h2ll because of kid weekend. The ex calls all the shots, interrupts his weekends on a whim whenever she decides to go away - including Christmas... and when I say something about my birthday landing on kid weekend, he seems shocked. "Should we switch"? NO. Just tell them you're busy that weekend, just like they do. There is no conceivable way I'm spending my birthday with his kid. Not gunna happen.

SecondGeneration's picture

Im afraid I didnt read all 5 pages so forgive me if I am simply echoing someone else.

Your husband has EOWE visitation, so he sees his children for two weekends within a month. Thats 4 full days out of 30.
Now Im not really sure how the conversation came up that "if his visitation fell on my 30th birthday weekend", what is the visitation schedule? Is it simply alternating weekends throughout the year? Or is it 1st weekend by BM, 2nd weekend by father, etc? Either way you should be able to work it out whether the visitation would normally fall on that weekend.

I can completely understand wanting to have a weekend away over your birthday, however if he has his children that weekend why is it not possible for you to celebrate and have a weekend away the week before or after?
Would you appreciate the BM demanding your husband take the kids so that she could go and have a weekend away over her birthday? Now I know you arent their mother therefore it is not your job to be responsible for these children, but by being married to their father you do have a duty to ensure that you are not PREVENTING their father from being responsible for them.

Personally I feel his offer of swopping weekends is a great compromise, lets face it from his point of view if he skips the weekend all together then he will be going three weeks without seeing his children, making it 2 days out of 30 that he sees them. Thats a long time.

My fiance and I have had conversations about under what circumstances he would forfeit his visitation, he feels that he would not want to forfeit visitation for a holiday which means we will never be able to take two-week holidays. However he has his heart set on a destination wedding and honeymoon for which we will need two weeks, so he is happy to forfeit a visitation weekend for our wedding and also he has said that he would be happy to forfeit a visitation weekend at the point that I give birth. (As in should I go into labour on the thursday before then he would cancel. Ofcourse it is impossible to predict when any baby would arrive but it was important to me to know under what circumstances he feels is justifiable for changing their visitation schedule).

The reason we had that conversation was so we could avoid scenarios like what you are feeling now. Whilst to me I wouldnt mind skipping a weekend in favour of a weekend break away, for him it is not doable. (Now we are in a position that the BM will not offer swops so a skip is literally a skip, no making up the time later)

Yes I believe the relationship with your partner/husband needs to be the priority, but him making your relationship a priority does not mean forfeiting time for his children.