You are here

My Story

devilwoman's picture

Hi, Everyone. I have been reading the forums for about a week now, and I thought I'd share my story. Maybe those who've been there can offer some advice, because I could sure use some.

I have been married to DH for about 11 months. I have 3 kids - BS28, BS19, and BS16. He has three kids - SD22, SS20, and SS18.

His kids absolutely hate me.

SS20 was in college when DH and I first met. He decided at about mid-year that he hated college, and packed his things and drove home at 5 in the morning. DH pulled some strings and got him an apprenticeship. He worked for a while, bought a truck (which DH cosigned for), because the car I GAVE him wasn't good enough. He then decided that he was tired of working and wanted to go back to college to "party for three more years and just be a kid". He informed DH that he would not be making his truck payment anymore, that DH had to do it. Of course, that didn't go over well, and I made the mistake of commenting on the situation. It seems that, even though it was brought up at the dinner table in front of me, it was none of my business. Meanwhile, I was feeding this person, doing his laundry, etc. You know the routine. So he left, after a HUGE scene in the middle of the night.

The skids lived with the BM, who decided recently to throw them all out. She's selling her house. Doesn't want them around anymore. SD22 and her LO planned to move in with us (ugh), SS20 was to take the vacant apartment that DH owns, and SS18 was likely going to end up here as well. All were expected to pay some rent...SD22 is an RN, and makes twice as much money as I do. SS20 is employed and makes about the same amount that I do. SS18 WAS employed, because I got him a job at my office. A very nice job. But, he decided not to bother to show up for work, and then blame me for getting him fired. Anyway....

The Tuesday after Mother's Day, SD22 shows up. We have dinner on the porch when the weather is nice, so we were still outside. She hangs around for a bit, then, when her father gets up to go inside for a drink, she follows him in and corners him. She tells him that she doesn't think that she can pay any rent, so how about if she cleans once a week, and mows the grass, and that can be her rent. He tells her "we'll work something out", and I almost vomit. I contribute approximately $1800 to this household every month, and I have just about nothing left at the end of the month. Nothing. I buy my clothes at Goodwill, Sam's Club, and bargain stores. This girl make twice what I do, and can't pay a bit of rent? I was FURIOUS. At both of them. SD22 for not coming to both of us (which of course she would never do, because she knew that I would never allow her to live rent-free), and DH for not immediately telling her that she needed to speak with both of us. So, later that night, DH and I get into a huge argument of course. He finally offers to bring SD back to talk to me. Which takes place on Thursday. We have words, SD leaves, and DH tells me to get the F*** out of HIS house, and to take my long-haired, freak a**, fa**ot children with me (BS19 and BS16 live here). Yeah. How much damage did that do to our marriage? He then begs me to give her a chance, etc. I agree, and she comes back. We talk, and seem to have things resolved. SD will pay some rent...a very low amount. We have dinner, and she leaves. At about one in the morning, a very drunk SS20 calls DH, angry because his sister is so upset. He wants to talk. No. We work in the morning. About a half hour later there's pounding at the door. SS20, SS18, and their drunken friend are at the door. They are calling DH out. I called the police while DH tells them to leave. SS20 is drunkenly chanting in a singsong voice, "Your marriage is ruined, your marriage is ruined". Police come, and they call BM to come and pick up her boys. No arrests are made, despite the underage drinking. DH and I talk about how I cannot, will not tolerate any more from his children. He agrees to stand by my side.

All the next day, phone call after phone call is made to DH. I'm brainwashing him. I'm controlling him. HOW COULD HE choose his wife over his family. SD22 posts a family pic, taken at DHs mom's 80th birthday party, on her Facebook account. I'm tagged as "devilwoman", and her comments are that I am a "homewrecker" and a "self-absorbed bitch". For all her friends and family to see.

Now, DH is angry, hurt, etc. So am I. But, I am forbidden to discuss it with him. HE says I have no idea how he feels. HE'S lost his children; I haven't. We seem to intermittently be okay, then, if I get angry (I'm absolutely FURIOUS), I'm not allowed to talk about it. SS20 came to pick up some of his belongings (which have been here since he moved out in September). Just some of them. I've had to look at them for MONTHS, and quite frankly, after all this, I want them gone. DH is very angry with me that I feel this way. I don't understand how I could NOT feel this way! These children are actively trying to ruin my marriage! They are also deeply hurting the man I love. I can't even tell you what I'd like to do to them!

Anyway, I realize that this post is becoming a novel. If anyone has been through similar, please let me know. I just don't know what to do, how to act, or anything else.

Thanks for "listening"

devilwoman's picture

Update on SD22...her 80-year-old grandmother had words with her last night. She was told that she's a BAD GIRL. She told her grandma that I'm a homewrecker.

A homewrecker.

Um, this is MY HOME...not hers. I am just mystified. Where does this crap come from? She makes twice what I do, and expects to move in and live rent-free. When she doesn't get her way, she incites her drunken brothers to come to our house and threaten my husband. Excuse me, but WTF??

I can't even wrap my brain around this insanity.

RenaissanceWoman's picture

Question: The home you're living in... is it new to the relationship, or is it where the skids lived before you came on the scene? I ran into this problem. His kids (sd22, sd23, ss24) all lived here with their mom and dad, then just their dad at one point or another. So we had massive territorial issues and I just didn't feel like I could ever win that fight, soooooo... I bought a house of my own in MY name. Now I'M in control. DH is ecstatic - it gives HIM a way to get out of the situation without looking like the bad guy, it will give him the chance to move on with his life, and it will finally bring peace into OUR relationship after 2 1/2 years, allowing us to get on with OUR Lives. (We just took possession of the house yesterday! Bliss!) Good luck, Angel.. uh, I mean DevilWoman!

devilwoman's picture

The home belongs to my husband. He bought it some time after the EX threw him out of the marital home. The skids, with the exception of SS20, have never lived here. And SS20 only lived here for a short while.

Angel....LOL! I have a T-shirt that says "Angel". I've been wearing it a lot lately. DH gets it...I think.

StepG's picture

to hell with any man that would tell me to get the F*** out of his house and take my freak a** f***ot children with me. You are better than me to have come back. His kids are not kids anymore they are yong adults and he should be ashamed that his young adult children are behaving that way and that they obviously only care about themselves and not their dad. He should be ashamed of how he raised them.

If he cannot respect how you feel and see what his young adult children have done to you then maybe he is not the one for you.

devilwoman's picture

Thanks for the support. I know you are right. It's hard to just say "to hell with it". If things don't improve, it may yet come to that. I SO don't want that, though. I love DH with all my heart, even with the horrible things he said. I'm trying to forgive him.

The skids are up to their tricks again today. SS18 has advised his father that he is suing us for defamation of character. That is, of course, unless his dad gives him money. Nice.

Most Evil's picture

I LOVE your screen name - but I am so sorry it came from your SD. I too have been bitten by Facebook in the past, but my SD17 says she removed it. I decided I really don't care what she writes anyway, it is a reflection on herself only and not us, although she claims to like me and only stab her dad in the back. Whatever!

I agree that if your DH doesn't fall into line, he needs to go, but I bet he will. These seem like demon 'children' - only they are grown! Also if it is your house, he should have zero say on who stays there, without your approval.

Don't give up - write more with an update-!! and Welcome, so sorry to have you in the club! Wink

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Vladimir Lenin

devilwoman's picture

I like your screen name, too! Smile

DH seems to be getting better; we went to a counselling session last night. He agreed that his kids are awful to me. That's a big step from the "oh, get over it. they're kids" routine that he did for the longest time.

There ARE new extenuating circumstances, though. Saturday morning brought the police, and restraining orders (called PFAs in PA...protection from abuse) were filed against the skids AND the BM yesterday. It's ugly.

I'll try to find the time to post a detailed story later (yes, another novel).

devilwoman's picture

Well, Saturday the 30th brought MUCH more drama. SD22 was asked for about a week to come and get her belongings (she started moving some small things in, anticipating that DH would let her live here rent-free). She called in the morning, and said she was coming to get her stuff. DH specifically told her NOT to bring her brothers. She could bring a friend, or come alone and he would help her, but absolutely NO SS20 and SS18. Well, at about 11:15, SD, both SSs, AND THEIR MOTHER (!) show up. They were immediately asked to leave, and then ordered to leave. They refused. They kept going in and out of my garage and basement, breaking MY things on the driveway as they went. The police were called, and of course did nothing but stand there. My life was threatened by both of the boys, SD threatened to "kick my a$$", as did BM...they were all screaming filth (F- you, you C-, etc). It was SO ugly. The BM is a school bus driver, and, as you may have already guessed, her route is my street. She stood in my front yard, screaming and swearing and threatening, as all the kids she drives every morning were out riding their bikes and playing. Nice. Also, my neighbor is trying to sell his house, and the realtor had people there at this particular time. Ugh. BM decided it was smart to go and tell the prospective buyers that they shouldn't buy the house, they don't want to live next to us, etc. etc. Unbelievable.

So, DH has filed a restraining order, and I have filed harrassment charges. I am very concerned about our safety. These people are CRAZY.

devilwoman's picture

Well, SS18 was arrested and cited for underage drinking last night...as he was walking into the PROM!

I guess his date will always have an evening to remember.

In addition, he will NOT be permitted to participate in graduation.

Most Evil's picture

but he needs a kick in the butt like this!! I can't believe all the stuff they did, I hope you will press charges fully!! or it will just get worse! Unbelievable and despicable.

"It's funny how dogs and cats know the inside of folks better than other folks do, isn't it?"
- Eleanor H. Porter (1868 - 1920), 'Pollyanna', 1912

Rags's picture

recruiter. But under ZERO circumstances should the delinquent be allowed back in to your home.

Hell yes he should have charges pressed for underage drinking. First ...... he should not be doing it all. Second...... if he is going to do it he should have the intelligence to do it somewhere that he will not be caught.

Just my thoughts of course.

Best regards,

Success is rarely final. Failure is rarely fatal. It is character, courage and consistency of effort that count. Vince Lombardi (with some minor Rags modifications)

devilwoman's picture

DH is in court this morning. Please keep a good thought for us. He is very worried and nervous that the judge will not continue the PFA order. BM and skids have all stated that HE came at THEM. Yeah right, on OUR property, where they were trespassing and refusing to leave.

This is a disaster.

belleboudeuse's picture

I just read all this for the first time. What a giant mess! How awful! I'm thinking of you. Change the locks. Keep going to therapy. Your DH has some family baggage that can only be overcome if the two of you are on the same page and a united front.

Hugs!!!

BB

- You are not second best, you are not second class. Do not ever let anyone make you feel that way. (2Bloved)

devilwoman's picture

You're right.

He got a 90-day extension to the PFA yesterday, so that's good. I can "possibly" have peace until September. And we did decide to use an attorney, so we will pursue this further with help.

Thanks for the support...I really need it :-).

devilwoman's picture

DH was not standing by me originally. He is now. I know it's more like damage control, but he's there. It's SO hard for him...it breaks my heart to see him in so much pain, but he is taking the necessary steps.

He truly believed that he was doing the best for his kids. I really can't fault him for that. He knows now that it was not the right thing to do (guilt parenting). He has a valid point, though, that a NC parent has very little choice if they want to see their kids at all. Either give them what they want, or they say "take me home". His kids, unfortunately, played him like a fiddle for years. Change is hard.

My kids, who are VERY perceptive, see that it's a mess. I honestly don't believe that they would EVER think that this crap is acceptable behavior.

JMC's picture

JamaicanMeCrazy
DISNEY LIED...THERE IS NO 'HAPPILY EVER AFTER'

I'm just now catching up on my reading - I'm so sorry for all you're going through! I thought my adult/semi-adult skids were bad, but holy cow, I can't even imagine having to put up with the threat of physical violence. Please remember, just because you have restraining orders doesn't mean those pieces of paper will protect you; by your descriptions of the skids attitudes and actions and if they're drunk or really angry, common sense usually disappears and those orders won't mean squat to them. Please be very cautious until this is resolved; hugs to you and keep up informed.

devilwoman's picture

I know. It's scary. We are doing everything possible to ensure our safety.

A paper doesn't really do much, but it DOES let the police know that we mean business...up to now, they've just been standing by, doing nothing. Unfortunately, in my little town, that's how they handle "domestics". They simply don't want to get involved.

devilwoman's picture

It's all my fault once again, apparently. I should have gone easier on his daughter (translation-I should have been willing to support her and her 2-year-old). Then she wouldn't have incited her brothers to threaten and harass and assault and etc. NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF IT WEREN'T FOR ME!

And my son, who admittedly is very lazy and pretty much just takes up space for the summer, has to go. Being a college student isn't enough. He should be up at the crack of dawn, working two jobs, cleaning the house top to bottom every day, and volunteering as well. And he must get a haircut. All of this is critical, of course, and was brought to my attention Thursday morning at 6:30-7am, as I was getting ready for work (even though I was VERY ill and should have stayed home, but I had a meeting I couldn't miss).

Of course, we can't discuss his kids' behaviors, the threats to my life, the trespassing, the underage drinking. And when his son lived with us, the girls that he picked up God-knows-where that spent the night, the stench of his absolutely FILTHY room, the fact that he never lifted one finger to help around the house, yet ate me out of house and home (I kid you not...you have NEVER seen anyone eat so much. He ate 4 (FOUR) new york strip steaks one night, then complained that he had an upset stomach, and that something was wrong with the meat), etc. No. The poor dears are the products of divorce. Yeah, so are my kids. Helllllooooooo.

Ugh. I am sooooooooo exhausted. Does it actually get better for longer than a few weeks? I still can't sleep without waking up twenty times a night; I'm frightened for me and my kids. This is NOT what I expected. I need peace.

devilwoman's picture

I know that my son needs some motivation. I realize that his issues are not helping the situation. Maybe he's afraid, too. Teenage boys aren't exactly great at expressing their emotions.

DS19 is an "odd duck" and always has been. I think he struggles with figuring out where he fits in. And he IS lazy. I do admit that.

I have asked DH to help me get DS19 on track. He tells me that it's my job.

kassandrarayne's picture

to agree....however, don't keep biting your tongue so long you end up biting it off. I did that with my SD and one day when she almost burned down our house I lost it and we had a huge fight. Of couse the fact that I woke her up to tell her she had left something plugged in at 3 in the afternoon was a bigger deal that the fact that the thing could have burnt the house down!

devilwoman's picture

Yeah, you're right. I gave SS20 a car, I got SS18 a job. I babysat many many times for SS23. I fed them. I took care of them. I made them lunches. I was horrible. I'm a F***ing C***, just like they screamed at me. I should just keep my mouth shut and let them kill me, like they threatened. It'd be so much better for all of us.

Thanks.

devilwoman's picture

What a GREAT idea! Next time the skids come pounding on my door at 1:30am, disrupting the whole neighborhood, calling my husband out, and drunkenly chanting that my marriage is over, I'll just pretend that they're dead. And, next time they assault my husband, and vandalize my home, and threaten me and my family, I'll just ignore them. Who needs a pesky restraining order? To hell with those silly harassment charges!

:::::::::slaps self on forehead:::::::::::::::

Why didn't I think of that??

devilwoman's picture

...which is why I don't do it. There's also a restraining order preventing them from contacting us anymore, thank God. The only argument I've EVER had with them was the one with SD23 about paying some rent to live here, since she's an RN and makes a VERY comfortable living, yet expected to live rent-free and be supported by daddy and ME. I had and still have a problem with that.

I also don't nag DH constantly, actually not at all...I have no idea how you inferred THAT. HE was nagging ME about my son. I say nothing about his kids since I was told not to (by DH, certainly not by you).

Addicted to drama? Hmm...interesting how you're making judgements about someone you don't know; about a situation that you clearly haven't a clue. Actually, I am addicted to the peace that I had before this all started, and I'm having withdrawals.

I'm done here.

LONGTIME SM's picture

If this comes up again that he wants to support his adult children in your joint home while asking for no financial contribution from the adult freeloaders, Instead of arguing with the step daughter simply tell your husband that while his adult children are living there that you will no longer be contributing to the household bills. Tell him that you will only provide for food and upkeep for your children and yourself and then do it, Absolutely do not offer any babysitting services for her 2year old ever again. The unmitigated gall of this woman to think she is entitled to live in your home rent free. She probably expects you to pick up the slack by babysitting for her whenever she is working or wants to go out. Don't ever agree to to do any of this. Let your husband have a fit that you will not agree to support his adult freeloaders. Bet he also changes his mind when he realizes he will then shoulder the entire burden for all of these so called adults.

LONGTIME SM's picture

Deleted

forgotten wife's picture

NEVER, NEVER, EVER let your adult SS's live with you!!!!! it's the surest and fastest way to divorce court.