You are here

HO HO ... hum

Miss T's picture

Yes, fellow steps, it's the most wonderful time of the year! AGAIN.

I learned this morning (because I went out of my way to ask) that SS26 and his twunt GF are going to grace us with their presence on Christmas. Already my stomach is reminding me just how much I welcome the kid's visits.

We plan an open house on the day, with a cold buffet and people welcome to come and go, give and receive gifts, and contribute or not as they please. It'll be  a casual day, with even the hostess plunking herself comfortably on the sofa and relaxing amidst the chaos. So there's not likely to be any sort of the "why don't we let my GF take over the dessert course" angst that attended our sit-down Thanksgiving dinner. Anything they bring will get lost in the crowd instead of taking over the entire finale of my carefully-planned and executed holiday menu. Nonetheless, my stomach is reminding me just how much I am looking forward to the kid's visit.

I already have my script prepared. SS26 and now his GF have little to say to me, and I am at peace as long as they stay within established bounds. But DH has an annoying habit of fussing and whining when his (only, thankfully) offspring is around. Because I don't like SS26. I've never liked him. Never gave him a chance. Etc., etc., etc. Apparently, politely tolerating SS26 is not good enough. In spite of everything that's gone down over the years, I have to like him.

So I've planned what  I'm going to say the second the whining and anxious hovering start (and they will):

I'm a grown-ass woman, DH. Let me manage my own relationships. And by the way, SS26 is a grown-ass man. He might appreciate the same courtesy.

That'll shut him right up.

Merry effing Christmas, y'all.

Rags's picture

I love the script. Stick to it.

Lather, rinse, repeat when the whining starts.

Merry Christmas and enjoy your party.